ADVERTISEMENT

Hersey vs LWC

polkhighhero

Oct 1, 2017
Chicago Suburbs
How do these two match up? How to you compare without common opponents? Anyone see both of them play? Styles, personnel, coaching, strengths, weaknesses?

LWC played two playoff teams and lost to one of them. Goldsberry the Hersey QB is a load. I wouldn't look too far past Hersey if I were LWC. Of they will be watching them in round 2.

LWC played two playoff teams and lost to one of them. Goldsberry the Hersey QB is a load. I wouldn't look too far past Hersey if I were LWC. Of they will be watching them in round 2.

yeah...they just don't play good football in the MSL...ask De La Salle.

Is Hersey QB as good as, better than, or worse than East (LWE) QB? 3 areas 1) running - mobility, 2) passing - arm strength, accuracy, reads and 3) leadership - smarts, knows when to run and when to throw?

Last edited:
Wait so Palatine and Barrington consistently going to the quarters and beyond and Meadows - a quarterfinalist last year oh and Fremd winning at Brother Rice last year?

If that’s weak, I’d hate to see what a good conference looks like.

This year they got 7 teams in between the East and West, 5 are still alive - Hoffman, Barrington, Palatine, Hersey and BG

Wait so Palatine and Barrington consistently going to the quarters and beyond and Meadows - a quarterfinalist last year oh and Fremd winning at Brother Rice last year?

This year they got 7 teams in between the East and West, 5 are still alive - Hoffman, Barrington, Palatine, Hersey and BG

And one of the teams that lost - Rolling Meadows - lost to Hersey. As I said in an earlier post, ask De La Salle how weak the MSL is. Hoffman completely dismantled the Meteors.

I said until recently. In the last few years the MSL has been very good but before that I always felt like it was a traditionally weaker conference.

Reactions: Bowie50 and EdgyTim
I said until recently. In the last few years the MSL has been very good but before that I always felt like it was a traditionally weaker conference.

Again I’m missing something. Prospect won three titles in the 2000s. BG was a powerhouse back then as well.

You’re gonna have to provide me what years they weren’t good because I’m not seeing it.

Again I’m missing something. Prospect won three titles in the 2000s. BG was a powerhouse back then as well.

You’re gonna have to provide me what years they weren’t good because I’m not seeing it.
Early 2000s is a while ago. Also, remember back then 7a, which saw some MSL success, was seen as the "weak" class near the beginning of the multiplier. If you look at 8A, other than Palatine the last 2 years who else made a semifinal in the last 15 years? I haven't looked but I'm pretty sure no school did. I just haven't seen the MSL as being on the same level as a CCL, DVC, ESCC, and even the North Suburban. Recently yes, this year even moreso I think the MSL is a great conference.

And one of the teams that lost - Rolling Meadows - lost to Hersey. As I said in an earlier post, ask De La Salle how weak the MSL is. Hoffman completely dismantled the Meteors.

Hersey is atop the MSL East. Most of the teams you and newt mentioned are in the MSL WEST. In my view There is a BIG difference between the two divisions. Are you saying there is not? If so please elaborate.

Let’s see in the EAST - Elk Grove village, Mt Prospect, Wheeling, BG, RM, and Hersey. Does the East have a perpetual quarter finalist in most years?

The crossover Hersey played with Hoffman and they lost. Yes Hoffman won their first round game, but got shelled by the MSL West Powers in the regular season.

I have no horse in this race - Everyone has their own opinion and if you think Hersey going to make waves - I guess we we will see next week and the week after.

Hoffman is the 11th largest school in the MSL. The fact that they lost to a pair of 8A schools is not a complete shock. Hoffman had a horrible 1st quarter against a very, very good Barrington team and played even from there. Against Palatine, it was 7-7 until late in the first half.

Meadows was a quarterfinalist last year and during that playoff run, beat Lincoln-Way Central 23-13.

The problem with MSL East schools in the past was that before last year, the East played 3 crossover games against the much larger West schools. With the West winning 80 percent of those games and nearly 90 percent at the lower levels, the East teams had trouble keeping players. That is not the case today. As you can see, 3 East teams made the playoffs this year. and two advanced to the next round.

As Newt said in an earlier post, to completely disregard these teams, you do at your own risk.

And looking at Lincoln-Way Central, it is not like they got the toughest draws out of their conference. Nice to go 8-1, but they missed HF and Bolingbrook on their schedule. Other than Lincoln-Way West, a 6A school and East, there were no teams over .500 on their schedule.

Hoffman is the 11th largest school in the MSL. The fact that they lost to a pair of 8A schools is not a complete shock.

But yet they beat larger School (7A) Hersey?.... And that was Hersey’s toughest opponent in the regular season - which was my point.

I’m not discounting a solid Hoffman in 6A - I am questioning a 7A Hersey that lost to the only team they played. Can’t have it both ways Quags.

Last edited:
Voodoo is never wrong, so I'm going with him...NOT

I like the first sentence! (Wish it were true). As for the second sentence - meh, whatever floats your boat dude.

Edit - aren’t you the same Green Knight guy from the Sterling thread saying Sterling would take down Marist? LoL - I like my odds of being right if I’m on the opposite side of picking games than you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
I really think Hersey keeps it close. Donatucci is their defensive coordinator. He'll have a great game plan. Not sure they can win but it will be competitive.

Reactions: Quags57
I like the first sentence! (Wish it were true). As for the second sentence - meh, whatever floats your boat dude.

Edit - aren’t you the same Green Knight guy from the Sterling thread saying Sterling would take down Marist? LoL - I like my odds of being right if I’m on the opposite side of picking games than you!
I never said Marist would get beat by Sterling, I said they would give them a game, which no one in the ESCC did this year. I said I think Sterling would beat Naz in a good game

Polk - were you at the game? From the score it seems Hersey didn’t completely melt on the graham cracker - 21-7 and from that I’m guessing they represented themselves pretty well as they were not blown out or embarrassed on the scoreboard. Thoughts on the game?

I did notice that BG also lost and in the other MSL division both Palatine and Barrington lost heartbreakers in two tightly contested games that could have gone either way. How long has it been since neither Barrington or Palatine have made the quarters? 4 years? 5?

I was there. Score did not reflect the game. I'm not going to blame refs cause there my have been some holding, but lwc must have had 150 yards in holding penalties. Killed themselves. The only score Hersey got was on a 65 yard drive and 35 yards of that came from defensive penalties. One 15 yard personal foul was terrible call there. The Hersey QB is solid, but don't think he has been punished that way all season. He didn't want any part of running in the 3rd quarter and I think he hurt his ankle in the 4th. The online was not able to give him time to throw. Hersey is not a horrible team, but the score reflects closer game than it was.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Thanks Polk! I told you no worries until the Quarters. I think I called correctly all 5 of my walk to the Quarters 7A Teams. There are some good teams in 7A - but it’s just not as deep 1-32 as some of the other classes. The bottom 16 teams are really “bottom” which mAkes for an easy walk to the Quarters for the good 7A teams.

8A seems to have more balance and the round 2 games were more of a blood bath to try and get to the Quarters than in 7A.

I really wish they did a +1 after the state title games. Champ of 7A plays Champ of 8A. For example. 5A and 6A play etc etc.

I was there. Score did not reflect the game. I'm not going to blame refs cause there my have been some holding, but lwc must have had 150 yards in holding penalties. Killed themselves. The only score Hersey got was on a 65 yard drive and 35 yards of that came from defensive penalties. One 15 yard personal foul was terrible call there. The Hersey QB is solid, but don't think he has been punished that way all season. He didn't want any part of running in the 3rd quarter and I think he hurt his ankle in the 4th. The online was not able to give him time to throw. Hersey is not a horrible team, but the score reflects closer game than it was.
I was at the game and Hersey very easily could have been tied or ahead at half.

Yes, if the LWC defense did not stop them in the red zone a few times. If they completed a few more passes. If the defense did not contain the alusive qb so we'll ( btw I think he was one of the best qbs I have seen this year). Agreed, if they could have scored more they could even have been in the lead. Based on what I saw at the game, without the refs interference, it would have been a shut out. Bottom line is those two teams play each other....LWC wins 9 time out of 10...and the 1 is just cause any team can beat any other team on any given day. I want to be clear, that I think Hersey is repectable team. LWC is better this year.

Last edited:
It speaks highly of lwc kids effort and talent that they basically make no effort to show they will do anything but run the ball...and yet they still get it done. You know they will run left, run right, and give the ball to Morgan 35+ times. Yet nobody has figured out a way to stop them. And their defense is solid. Right now I think they simply want it more than most teams.

It speaks highly of lwc kids effort and talent that they basically make no effort to show they will do anything but run the ball...and yet they still get it done. You know they will run left, run right, and give the ball to Morgan 35+ times. Yet nobody has figured out a way to stop them. And their defense is solid. Right now I think they simply want it more than most teams.
Unless a defensive team has LWE-type personnel, it seems like more than a tweak or adjustment of your base defense is necessary to defend the somewhat unconventional LWC offense. I have seen a specialized scheme designed for a simpler version of their attack, but the install could be problematic and a far cry from one's base scheme/personnel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT