ADVERTISEMENT

"Guardians"

MC63

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Lake County
It's worth your time to read the NIL article in Saturday's Tribune. NIL refers to the name, identity and likeness that college athletes are now able to profit from.

At Champaign, a group called the "Illinois Guardians" has been formed to assist these athletes in finding such opportunities. Several U of I notable athletic alums are involved. Apparently, similar groups have sprouted up at Indiana and Kansas.

Before too long, this trend is likely to a have huge, huge impact on college recruiting as schools compete to have superior NIL programs. Can you imagine what USC or UCLA, being in the heart of the entertainment industry, could offer kids? Notre Dame players will be especially valuable to sponsors

Many of the early NIL opportunities I've heard of so far are fairly limited to local restaurants and such. But when you get really high powered people involved, there might not be much of a limit.

Down the road, I imagine this will further separate the "haves" and the "have nots" in big time football. It could also switch some schools from one status to the other.

See Texas A&M. It’s the worst thing to happen to college sports ever and just a way to pay players. It’s only a matter of time before lower level FBS teams opt to move down to FCS.

Anything named Guardians operating in coordination with a school that has a Native American mascot makes me a bit nervous.

Reactions: MC63
See Texas A&M. It’s the worst thing to happen to college sports ever and just a way to pay players. It’s only a matter of time before lower level FBS teams opt to move down to FCS.
I would be willing to argue the opposite.
What's wrong with paying the players? It seems that the payment of players is now out in the open. All players in all sports can now receive payment as opposed to just a few. No need for the SEC schools to hand out the McDonalds bags full of cash to players as was rumored at a certain program. It's legal. Negotiate your best deal.
Now, the question is "How willing are institutions to organize a competitive NIL program?"
Some schools already had a head start!
Some players have used the money for good causes. I read today that JJ McCarthy is starting a foundation as well as donating over $10k to various children's charitable causes this past season.

It is the team formerly known as the Illini, which was not a matter of insensitivity but of oversensitivity.

I would be willing to argue the opposite.
What's wrong with paying the players? It seems that the payment of players is now out in the open. All players in all sports can now receive payment as opposed to just a few. No need for the SEC schools to hand out the McDonalds bags full of cash to players as was rumored at a certain program. It's legal. Negotiate your best deal.
Now, the question is "How willing are institutions to organize a competitive NIL program?"
Some schools already had a head start!
Some players have used the money for good causes. I read today that JJ McCarthy is starting a foundation as well as donating over $10k to various children's charitable causes this past season.

It will turn into free agency you have already started to see it this year with loose transfer rules and players shopping for paydays. It has opened up a can of worms that will quickly spin out of control.

Reactions: NNFAN
It's beyond time to separate the Power 5 or so programs from the rest of the NCAA......on several levels but this one is one of the biggies

Reactions: Quags57
Maybe its time that Colleges & Universities get out of the entertainment business and focus on education while letting these minor league enterprises transition to not having an affiliation with academia.
No, I realize this has a zero chance of occurring but it is something worth pondering.

Last edited:
Maybe its time that Colleges & Universities get out of the entertainment business and focus on education while letting these minor league enterprises transition to not having no affiliation with academia.
No, I realize this has a zero chance of occurring but it is something worth pondering.
True, though the athletes might balk at fighting each other for slumpbusters rather than coeds.

Down the road, I imagine this will further separate the "haves" and the "have nots" in big time football. It could also switch some schools from one status to the other.

Spot on analysis.

This will reek of early MLB free agency where the Yankees would create an all star team because they had the funds and the Brewers could barely field a team. Think late 80s free agency.

Good on these schools for weaponizing their football programs with mountains of NIL cash for players, but man is it going to get ugly from a competition standpoint.

While I firmly believe players should be compensated, I also feel there should be a pooling of cash for a program, almost like a salary cap.

Reactions: Gene K.
I think you'll see more and more transfers because that seems to be where the money is.

It’s only a matter of time before lower level FBS teams opt to move down to FCS.
I don't think this will be a trend. Maybe a few of the absolute worst programs like UCONN will opt to move down, but I don't think that is because of the elites like Bama, Clemson, or Ohio State. It is more beneficial for an average team to stay FBS and play with the big boys (and lose) and reap all that comes with that. A championship is not attainable for 90% of FBS teams in any given year anyway and they know that. If they didn't try to move down before I just don't think it will happen because of NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT