ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest HS game you ever saw?

WestSuburbanCatholicConference

Jun 17, 2015
Doesn't have to be a state championship game, Im looking for a dramatic game, 10 overtimes or a coach talking smack before a game and either backing up or looking foolish.

For example I thought the 2001 RB vs JCA was the greatest game I ever saw. Public vs Private. Run vs Pass. Otto leading the charge with the multiplier. JCA and their old school ways vs this high powered offense and a loud mouth coach. The pregame drama. A night game across from the Zoo, people climbing trees just to get a glimpse. It was HS football at its finest.

89 SR v MC at Gately -- though the joy from that game could not match the disappointment from the year before when MC won at 63rd & Claremont to go downstate.

My vote is the MS/ Loyola semi final 2010. Seesaw game that came down to the last play. A couple of last plays actually!

Reactions: Wild_Mustang
Speaking of 63rd and Claremont....The 1985 Brother Rice vs. St Rita state playoff quarterfinal game was one of the best. The game was suspended 2 or 3 times due to weather, the field was complete mud, and BR scores on a 90 yard pass play with 2 minutes to go and won 7-6.

2006 MC vs Lincoln Way East in the State semi-finals. No doubt the best high-school game I've ever seen.

I'm with fee to on this one. MC/LWE was awesome game. Got there three hours before kickoff and ended up standing in the corner behind the end zone. Only spot available!

I'm with fee to on this one. MC/LWE was awesome game. Got there three hours before kickoff and ended up standing in the corner behind the end zone. Only spot available!

Me too...

This was an awesome game between two programs that have tons of respect for each other

WSCC:

The 1989 Mount Carmel-Saint Rita game at Gately. This was the only time I have even known Gately to refuse entry because of overflow crowds.

A thoroughly enjoyable game and among the most physical game I have ever witnessed, these two teams absolutely beat the *hit out of each other.

One of the greatest/wildest games personally witnessed was the 05 WWS vs. Bolingbrook quarterfinal game. WWS offense struggled to get going until the fourth quarter when they were able to get a couple quick scores. Bolingbrook lead the entire game until they attempted a deep pass into a stiff wind and it was picked and returned for a TD to give WWS the lead with only a seven minutes left. The Tiger's were able to hold on and head to the semi's...Red Grange Field was electric

Reactions: Cross Bones
Speaking of 63rd and Claremont....The 1985 Brother Rice vs. St Rita state playoff quarterfinal game was one of the best. The game was suspended 2 or 3 times due to weather, the field was complete mud, and BR scores on a 90 yard pass play with 2 minutes to go and won 7-6.

I just threw up thinking of that game. I wasn't at that one, but can't believe a bunch of evergreen parkers (where I grew up; St. Bernadette grad) went down to the inner city and beat a tough as nails Rita team led by John Foley. That Rice team was excellent though. Thought SR had a guaranteed trip downstate after beating Laurence, who was probably more talented than both SR and BR.

One of the greatest/wildest games personally witnessed was the 05 WWS vs. Bolingbrook quarterfinal game. WWS offense struggled to get going until the fourth quarter when they were able to get a couple quick scores. Bolingbrook lead the entire game until they attempted a deep pass into a stiff wind and it was picked and returned for a TD to give WWS the lead with only a seven minutes left. The Tiger's were able to hold on and head to the semi's...Red Grange Field was electric
The whole game was a defensive struggle. Dale couldnt get going at all. We just fell apart in the 4th. I think on that INT it was like 2nd and 35 due to penalties. Great game, just wish the outcome was different. I wanted that rematch with LWE... the previous game I want to say we had over 300 yards rushing, just kept putting the ball on the carpet vs the Griffins.

Reactions: thisistheyear1
I too was at that LWE MC game.
I don't believe the senior class on that LWE team had ever lost in HS, until that day.

Reactions: feeto
I too was at that LWE MC game.
I don't believe the senior class on that LWE team had ever lost in HS, until that day.

You are correct, actually since the sixth grade.

I always thought LA's 15-14 win over Stevenson in the semis was the greatest I ever witnessed. The time-out chess match at the end was unforgettable.

The LA-Rita game in '63 was monumental.

Both Rita and Loyola came into the game undefeated - and both with stone-wall defenses.

Before a crowd of 20,000 - When Rita took an early 8-0 lead -- it was the most points scored by a team against LA all season. They'd come into the game with a 9-0 record, outscoring opponents 238-26. Rita was also 9-0, outscoring their opponents 290-38. Game was tied 8-8 at half before LA took a 15-8 lead. Shortly after, Rita stormed downfield for a touchdown and, trailing 15-14, they went for 2. Despite manic drives, and Rita not punting until 32 seconds remained, Rita held on to win 16-15.

A couple weeks later Rita crushed CVS 42-7 in the Prep Bowl -- and claimed a national championship.

That I have actually been to, probably would be L'ville vs. CoM playoff game 2001?. Public vs. Private, schools separated by about 1 mile, first time playing each other. CoM team walked down the North Shore bike trail to LHS, the atmosphere was the coolest I've ever witnessed. LHS won 28-21 IIRC.

not sure if it was the next week but I think the Fog Bowl at Richards was soon after that. I was there I could not really see much.

That I have actually been to, probably would be L'ville vs. CoM playoff game 2001?. Public vs. Private, schools separated by about 1 mile, first time playing each other. CoM team walked down the North Shore bike trail to LHS, the atmosphere was the coolest I've ever witnessed. LHS won 28-21 IIRC.

That year was 2000 when the IHSA still operated the football playoffs with only SIX classes. Carmel Catholic and L'ville were in 5A and got THE weird first-round draw. CC had a late long TD run by Matt Roe called back on an illegal block by their Z back and were defeated 28-21. That TD would have tied it up.

Providence Catholic came to L'ville the following week and beat the Kitties 14-0.

Fog Bowl vs. Richards was 2001, with CCHS bumped to 6A.

Riverside-Brookfield - Joliet Catholic playoff game. R-B down by 7 with a minute left and JCA on the goal line. RB lets them score to go down by 14. They come back and score with about 30 seconds left and then recover an onside kick. Just miss a pass in the endzone with no time left that would have tied the game. By far the most exciting high school game I have ever seen. Two great offenses that couldn't be stopped. Power running vs wide open passing.

Riverside-Brookfield - Joliet Catholic playoff game. R-B down by 7 with a minute left and JCA on the goal line. RB lets them score to go down by 14. They come back and score with about 30 seconds left and then recover an onside kick. Just miss a pass in the endzone with no time left that would have tied the game. By far the most exciting high school game I have ever seen. Two great offenses that couldn't be stopped. Power running vs wide open passing.

RB lost by 6 so for all intents and purposes that score would have won the game for them. RB was scrambling to get the play off and actually had an open WR but JCA's Chris Meinrich made a great play. RB looked like they had it but Meinrich came out of no where. Best game, best atmosphere, best hype of any game I've ever seen. I've seen a lot of hs football but nothing has ever come anywhere near that game.

Reactions: USD24
I prefer defense, but I understand the atmosphere there was electric.

I like the 5 games DGS and Bolingbrook played as a collective between 07-10, each going down to the waning minutes, sometimes the final play... 2011 was a different story.

I'd say Mount Carmel vs. Providence semi final game from 2004. PC won 16-15 in double OT on a failed MC 2-point conversion attempt. I believe papa Seff was quoted on the radio after saying "thats the best high school football game you'll ever see". I was at JCA v RB also though, and that one was amazing as well.

I'd say Mount Carmel vs. Providence semi final game from 2004. PC won 16-15 in double OT on a failed MC 2-point conversion attempt. I believe papa Seff was quoted on the radio after saying "thats the best high school football game you'll ever see". I was at JCA v RB also though, and that one was amazing as well.

This one is my nominee, had a real good view of the game. ;)

JC beat MC that year in the semifinals 13-11 to end their streak.

Pains me to say this as a SR grad.....I used to think the SR vs MC games were the greatest rivalry games and most intense games in the state. But I think the JCA v MC games in the late 80s and early 90s games were probably the best I have ever seen in my lifetime when you consider the physical nature, blue-collar kids, intensity and pure talent on the field.

Despite the terrible result, the 88 semi game between MC and SR at 63rd & Claremont will be the best high school venue/game I ever attended. But, objectively, that 91 game at Gately between MC and JCA is probably as good as you will ever get in Illinois high school football. Simeon Rice v. Mike Alstott representing the two most successful programs in the state in a packed house in a great high school football venue in a tough neighborhood. That game was an absolute pleasure to watch.

Any totally off-topic..............To all you MC guys, how come MC stopped wearing those yellow pants. I thought they were ugly, but I miss them as that uniform was distinctly Mt. Carmel and when you saw that uniform, you knew that you were in for a tough night.

Still wear them in lower levels if in not mistaken. Not sure why the varsity doesn't but could be something to do with the schools colors being listed as brown & white and wanting to eliminating other colors.

I wish they would go white jerseys with white pants in the playoffs, used to do it and it looked cool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT