ADVERTISEMENT

Glenbrook South vs Urban Prep Englewood

You didn't start a thread about one school?

Starting a thread about GBS and their scheduling a non-con game they shouldn't have does not equate to "hatred for the public school." That may be tough for you to grasp. If so, try therapy because logic doesn't seem to work with you.

Reactions: Gene K.
They shouldn't because you said so? They were flipping 1-8 last year

They shouldn't because they are better than that. They don't NEED to dig that low to find a game they can win. They don't NEED to running clock a much smaller school that is uncompetitive within the CPL. I've already provided facts explaining how they were not the same level of uncompetitive 1-8 as UPE was last year.

Last edited:
They shouldn't because they are better than that. They don't NEED to dig that low to find a game they can win. They don't NEED to running clock a much smaller school that is uncompetitive within the CPL. I've already provided facts explaining how they were not the same level of uncompetitive 1-8 as UPE was last year.
You clearly have no idea how challenging scheduling games can be. Obviously GBS is in the position where they're looking to schedule easier games, well guess what... everyone is looking to schedule wins. The teams that GBS thinks they can beat that will be better than UPE won't schedule GBS because they don't think they can beat them. At the end of the day if you're going the route of trying to achieve a win you end up against a CPS and at that point you take what you can get.

Reactions: Gene K. and ignazio

How is that different from what most schools do? We are in what we feel is a good conference, weeks 1 and 2 we play teams we should beat.. is that bad? Not to sound like the Jay Bilas, but its more about the whole body of work..

Its hard to criticize the non-con schedule for people because getting a non-con game is utterly impossible nowadays. More and more teams are going out of state - not all by choice. While I think we all would like to see Fenwick and Naz play tougher non-con games, its not as easy as it may seem to get those games scheduled. Teams don't want to take that "L" in the regular season and would rather schedule DuSable or Noble Street whatever to make sure they get 5 wins.

Reactions: Gene K. and TPF523
I thought Urban Prep Englewood was going to close but found this during my search of that.This is really sad.I recall some very good Robeson(should have won 82 State) and Harper football teams.Btw after looking at this you're building a new school for this yet close LW North???

I thought Urban Prep Englewood was going to close but found this during my search of that.This is really sad.I recall some very good Robeson(should have won 82 State) and Harper football teams.Btw after looking at this you're building a new school for this yet close LW North???
You forget a link or something?

I think what was meant about Joliet Central was that they very easily could have go Independent,scheduled the 3 Gary Indiana High Schools,4 CPS teams,Joliet West and another team and go 7-2 to 9-0 each year and make the playoffs

while it pains me on a level I cannot describe...

I can't believe I'm saying this...

Ramblin's right.

Omg

GBS should be freakin EMBARRASSED for scheduling that game. It wasn't that long ago they were a perennial powerhouse.
How about telling your kids you scheduled the league of the blind so they could celebrate a win.
What Jags.

Note: I've never gotten a straight answer for Titans in wolverines uni's

ct-gla-erick-anderson-michigan-college-football-hall-of-fame-tl-0730-20150731

Urban Prep is a charter network with the Englewood campus and 2 others in the West side and Bronzeville. Harper, Robeson, John Hope and Englewood (old campus of neighborhood HS) are closing and merging into the new building.

Um... they don't have to. It's been a curiousity over the years.
I've never seen a team that could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like GBS can.

Obviously your on your game Red since I'm not MS.

GBS played De La Salle Freshmen and had over 65 freshmen out for football. They had decent size and numbers were very good. DLS won and had just under 40 freshmen.

You are correct.
It is Erick who was the player of the year for GBS.
Kurt is his brother.

If Alabama can schedule Mercer , why cant GBS play a CPS school?

Your responses are worded in such a way as to look quasi reasonable on the surface...until you scratch it just a little bit and it all starts to peel away.

Does Mercer have a roster of 30, over one-quarter of whom are underclassmen? Did Mercer finish 1-8 in a particularly uncompetitive conference last year?

Did I say GBS shouldn't play CPS schools? No. GBS can play CPS schools. Phillips, Simeon, and Curie are CPS schools. Should GBS play the most competitive CPS schools? No. Neither should they play the uncompetitive ones.

Playing a substantially smaller 1-8 school from an uncompetitive CPS conference is what I'm talking about. You know that, but you continue to try to twist it and put words into my mouth. You are tiresome.

Reactions: biglatte
since many schools are doing it, not just GBS, also several CCL schools, should the IHSA step in and not allow schools to schedule CPS schools from certain divisions??

You clearly have no idea how challenging scheduling games can be. Obviously GBS is in the position where they're looking to schedule easier games, well guess what... everyone is looking to schedule wins. The teams that GBS thinks they can beat that will be better than UPE won't schedule GBS because they don't think they can beat them. At the end of the day if you're going the route of trying to achieve a win you end up against a CPS and at that point you take what you can get.

The only way I would buy what you are saying is if the AD/HC at GBS went above and beyond in search of a game and had to settle for UPE because everyone else they contacted was worried about losing to GBS.

Do you know that to be the case? I don't know it not to be the case, so you MIGHT be right.

However, all the signs point to GBS wanting a sure win and they found one. GBS finished at 1-8 and they were looking for a game they could win. They had been playing the likes of Barrington, Stevenson, etc. for non-con games, and they scheduled UPE this year. Is wanting to find a win bad? Not in and of itself. But don't you think there should be self-imposed limits?

Again I ask: How low is too low to look for a win or an easier game? Were there NO options for GBS other than UPE? NONE? I'm not talking Curie or Simeon or Phillips. On the competitive array, there are a few hundred football playing schools in between UPE and those other CPL schools I named. To be sure, most of them weren't looking for week 1 games, but many were.

Look, I get that scheduling non-con games is easier said than done. But, I don't buy that GBS couldn't find a non-con game against schools a step or two above UPE on the competitive array because those schools were ducking the Titans.

Hey, if you want to rest your case on the argument that UPE was the 100% best that GBS could do, be my guest.

Who cares who they scheduled. They were bad last year and scheduled someone bad. Kids do not know or care. Starting out with a win is more important to the psyche of your team than scheduling correctly.

Who cares who they scheduled. They were bad last year and scheduled someone bad. Kids do not know or care. Starting out with a win is more important to the psyche of your team than scheduling correctly.

Starting off with an easy win and getting thump a couple of weeks later will do more damage to the psyche of the team. You want your team to BE good and not tricked into looking good. I would rather be like MS last year making the playoff prepared versus going in with a great record but lose first round. There is no point of being in the playoffs if your goal is not to win it all.

Reactions: PRokie
Not too sure about that.

Knowing you beat up a team that couldn't compete with you feels good for how long?

Kids don't know or care? You think these kids that grew up watching ultra competitive GBS teams don't know they are being coddled?

Reactions: biglatte
Starting off with an easy win and getting thump a couple of weeks later will do more damage to the psyche of the team. You want your team to BE good and not tricked into looking good. I would rather be like MS last year making the playoff prepared versus going in with a great record but lose first round. There is no point of being in the playoffs if your goal is not to win it all.

Working all summer long and getting blasted by 60 week one will do more than getting blasted week if you were 1-8 the previous season.

Sure If I am ESL and know I will railroad the majority of my conference, I am scheduling harder games.

Working all summer long and getting blasted by 60 week one will do more than getting blasted week if you were 1-8 the previous season.

Sure If I am ESL and know I will railroad the majority of my conference, I am scheduling harder games.

If possible, ESL would join the current DVC right now! If you show me a team that get blasted by 60, I will show you the same team that DIDN'T work all summer long. It is NO WAY that a team that actually work 25 hard days in the summer get beat by 60! Just can't see it.

Not too sure about that.

Knowing you beat up a team that couldn't compete with you feels good for how long?

Kids don't know or care? You think these kids that grew up watching ultra competitive GBS teams don't know they are being coddled?

Most don't and the others do not care. They want to win and star plays on hudl. They do not think like adults or pay as close of attention as we do. I bet if you took a poll of the GBS football team at least half of them would not even have heard of Lincoln-Way East.

Reactions: PRokie
You know... you just might be right!

There's a few GBS boys that played their youth football in our town. I'd be curious their take.

In either case....

ON TO WEEK 2!!!

If possible, ESL would join the current DVC right now! If you show me a team that get blasted by 60, I will show you the same team that DIDN'T work all summer long. It is NO WAY that a team that actually work 25 hard days in the summer get beat by 60! Just can't see it.

Taft could have worked on football every day since last November and that game vs MC, who was without their best player, would have been maybe 40-0 instead of 53-0.

What about the psyche of the kids who were blown out 42-0?

The only way I would buy what you are saying is if the AD/HC at GBS went above and beyond in search of a game and had to settle for UPE because everyone else they contacted was worried about losing to GBS.

Do you know that to be the case? I don't know it not to be the case, so you MIGHT be right.

However, all the signs point to GBS wanting a sure win and they found one. GBS finished at 1-8 and they were looking for a game they could win. They had been playing the likes of Barrington, Stevenson, etc. for non-con games, and they scheduled UPE this year. Is wanting to find a win bad? Not in and of itself. But don't you think there should be self-imposed limits?

Again I ask: How low is too low to look for a win or an easier game? Were there NO options for GBS other than UPE? NONE? I'm not talking Curie or Simeon or Phillips. On the competitive array, there are a few hundred football playing schools in between UPE and those other CPL schools I named. To be sure, most of them weren't looking for week 1 games, but many were.

Look, I get that scheduling non-con games is easier said than done. But, I don't buy that GBS couldn't find a non-con game against schools a step or two above UPE on the competitive array because those schools were ducking the Titans.

Hey, if you want to rest your case on the argument that UPE was the 100% best that GBS could do, be my guest.
FYI:

https://www.ihsa.org/Schools/OpenDates.aspx

It's a hard thing to do.

There's definitely ways. I played on a team my junior year where the first three days after finals we were at school practicing from 6am-830pm. That's not a typo either. We worked not as long, but just as hard the rest of the summer. We started 2-1 and then lost the next 5 by running clock. Largely due to the fact that we only have 35 kids on the team. 8 of which seniors, only 5 of those 8 actually played any significant time. The rest were almost all juniors with the exception of two sophomores (our QB and a two way lineman). So while I do understand your logic, let me assure you that it is all too possible (and haunts my dreams).

Reactions: Gene K.
What about the psyche of the kids who were blown out 42-0?

So you would care about GBS if they had scheduled ESL and lost by 50?

Their coaches likely took the game to get money for their program. CPS does not give athletics teams any money. It has to be fund raised or allocated by the principal. I have seen CPS football teams show for games car pooling like they were a youth program.

So you would care about GBS if they had scheduled ESL and lost by 50.

Yes. One extreme or the other, it's still an extreme and not a good match. There are still a sh!t ton of schools in the middle to choose from.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT