ADVERTISEMENT

Glenbrook South vs Urban Prep Englewood

ramblinman

Jul 18, 2001
Glenbrook South (enrollment 2972) beat Urban Prep Englewood (enrollment 648) 42-0 this past weekend. Both schools went 1-8 last year.

From 2010-2016, GBS faced Barrington, Stevenson, Prospect, Metea Valley, Minooka, and St. Pat's in their first two non-con games of the season. This year, it's Urban Prep Englewood and St. Pat's.

Districts can't come soon enough for me.

Not necessarily commenting on this particular game, but I have so much respect for Joliet Central for not going that route. And I don't think anyone would have faulted them.

In my opinion, 0-9, 1-8, 2-7 buy you some relief from the scheduling police.

Not necessarily commenting on this particular game, but I have so much respect for Joliet Central for not going that route. And I don't think anyone would have faulted them.
Joliet Central has no out-of-conference option since joining the SW Prairie conference in 2016, a 10-team league where everyone meets during the season.

Reactions: chitownace777
In my opinion, 0-9, 1-8, 2-7 buy you some relief from the scheduling police.

I'd be fine with it if GBS and their 2972 students were to have scheduled Joliet Central (3117 students and 2-7 last year).

You're already on record as having "absolutely nothing wrong" with GBS scheduling a school of 648 students. How small is too small before you would be inclined not to give GBS relief?

Glenbrook South (enrollment 2972) beat Urban Prep Englewood (enrollment 648) 42-0 this past weekend. Both schools went 1-8 last year.

From 2010-2016, GBS faced Barrington, Stevenson, Prospect, Metea Valley, Minooka, and St. Pat's in their first two non-con games of the season. This year, it's Urban Prep Englewood and St. Pat's.

Thanks for that playoff point GBS.

Reactions: Quags57
They can't schedule Joliet Central since Central is in a 10 team conference.
Thank you for pointing out that I am on record with nothing wrong with their scheduling.
When you are coming off a 1-8 season, there are no limits in my book. The Titans played a gauntlet of a schedule last season.
Schedule who you want. Get a win. St Pat's will offer a better challenge this week.

Joliet Central has no out-of-conference option since joining the SW Prairie conference in 2016, a 10-team league where everyone meets during the season.
I realize that, but prior to they had non-con games and look at who they scheduled. Not world beaters, but programs they probably felt they could compete with.

Last edited:
They can't schedule Joliet Central since Central is in a 10 team conference.
Thank you for pointing out that I am on record with nothing wrong with their scheduling.
When you are coming off a 1-8 season, there are no limits in my book. The Titans played a gauntlet of a schedule last season.
Schedule who you want. Get a win. St Pat's will offer a better challenge this week.

In other words, schedule whatever patsy you can find no matter what the size. :rolleyes:

Any different from a school of 3377 playing a school of 528 week 1?

Why?? If two good teams of large enrollment can play, why can't two below average ones??

Why is LA vs Phillips very different from GBS vs Urban Prep Englewood? Check out the scores of both games, who won, and then you come back to me and explain how the scheduling is no different.

Ramblin,
An old coach told me one day that if you look up and down your schedule and see no easy games, you're it!
Yes, and please read carefully, I have no problem with GBS's schedule.
Schedule who you need/want to schedule.
Maybe your real issue is why is such a small school willing to schedule GBS?

In the last 4 years Phillips has been to the State Finals twice, Semis, and Quarters. Loyola vs Phillips isnt even close to being the same as GBS vs Urban Prep Englewood.

Reactions: NNFAN
Why is LA vs Phillips very different from GBS vs Urban Prep Englewood? Check out the scores of both games, who won, and then you come back to me and explain how the scheduling is no different.

Did the people at your school know that Phillips was going to be this good? They were the 4th best team in 4A last year, lost a few D1 kids.. and there is a HUGE difference between 8A football and 4A

In the last 4 years Phillips has been to the State Finals twice, Semis, and Quarters. Loyola vs Phillips isnt even close to being the same as GBS vs Urban Prep Englewood.

Phillips was in 4A.. name another 8A upper tier team that's played a 4A team ? not to mention they also play 3A Leo

Maybe your real issue is why is such a small school willing to schedule GBS?

Yeah, I do wonder why Urban Prep Englewood would schedule a game like this, given that they were 1-8 last year and 3-6 the year before that. There have to be lots of other potential games out there against similarly competitive (or marginally more/less competitive) schools with rosters and school enrollments more their size.

GBS was not a typical 1-8 team last year. They lost to Fremd by 3, NT by 10, and MS by 13.

From the GBS perspective, I just wonder how small is too small for them to go in search of an easy game? If Urban Prep Englewood is acceptable, would a 1A team that was 1-8 last year also be acceptable? I know your answer, I just wonder what theirs is.

Phillips was in 4A.. name another 8A upper tier team that's played a 4A team ? not to mention they also play 3A Leo

On the one hand, and as recently as a few days ago you were posting left and right about Phillips and the IHSA, and how Phillips was in a small school class where they don't belong. Now, when it suits your ugly troll ass, you act like they are the small school that you decry them for being.

images

On the one hand, and as recently as a few days ago you were posting left and right about Phillips and the IHSA, and how Phillips was in a small school class where they don't belong. Now, when it suits your ugly troll ass, you act like they are the small school that you decry them for being.

You beat me to it. HHS/BBCHS has been on his "Phillips belongs much higher than 4A" soapbox since last season. Now its something different. UP Englewood, Bowen, Lincoln Park, etc... These teams are feeder mice to many suburban and catholic programs. They are only scheduled when the big schools feel a "Down Year" coming on.

images

..you are the one that's been preaching that teams should play like opponents based on success of program not enrollment.. when two teams with similar records play, you then call them out for it?

I just love the irony that Rambling calls out a school for playing small schools when his school does the same thing.. Leo??? Come on

To be fair ramblinman has been one of the loudest in opposition to CCL crossovers. He hates the Leo game and it's not one that they choose to schedule. And his plan is to classify based on ability not record.

Reactions: biglatte
To be fair ramblinman has been one of the loudest in opposition to CCL crossovers. He hates the Leo game and it's not one that they choose to schedule. And his plan is to classify based on ability not record.

Don't be too harsh on him, Bones. He doesn't have much if you take away his straw man arguments.

Reactions: Gene K.
Of course rambling fails to call out Mt Carmel, Marmion, Montini and Fenwick for also scheduling patsy game... wonder why????

..you are the one that's been preaching that teams should play like opponents based on success of program not enrollment.. when two teams with similar records play, you then call them out for it?

I'm also the one who says that if a 4A team like Phillips would be competitive in 8A, then that is where they should be classified.

It's not just about records with me. It's about competitive level. You know that, of course, but you conveniently ignore it in the hopes that I won't call you out on it.

Last year, GBS came to within two scores of 8A state champ MS and two other 8A qualifiers (NT and Evanston). They lost a one score game to 8A qualifier Fremd.

Urban Prep Englewood, on the other hand, finished 1-8 last year (with 88 PF and 314 PA) , and the the lone CPL team they beat finished 3-6.

Still think GBS and UPE are good matches for each other?

Of course rambling fails to call out Mt Carmel, Marmion, Montini and Fenwick for also scheduling patsy game... wonder why????

I called out GBS because they are in my neck of the woods, and I follow them pretty closely. If you were paying attention last week, you would have seen that I called out Fenwick for scheduling Bowen in the thread about Fenwick looking for a week one game.

Arguing with you is too easy.

5aXpg294Bf-2.png

I called out GBS because they are in my neck of the woods, and I follow them pretty closely. If you were paying attention last week, you would have seen that I called out Fenwick for scheduling Bowen in the thread about Fenwick looking for a week one game.

Arguing with you is too easy.

5aXpg294Bf-2.png

You started a thread about one school, it's clear what your motive is, your hatred for the public school is easy to spot

Hey rambling, I am kinda new to this whole internet thing.. can you show me where you called out Fenwick, I would actually like to read your thoughts on this topic

Hey rambling, I am kinda new to this whole internet thing.. can you show me where you called out Fenwick, I would actually like to read your thoughts on this topic

It got yanked. No idea why. It was pretty civil one minute. The next thing I knew it wasn't there anymore.

My thoughts were that Fenwick had no business scheduling a noncom game against a school like Bowen that has 318 students this year and a 3-6 record in 2016. I got into a kerfluffle with the resident Fenwick poster who took exception to my comments.

Last edited:
Leave Montini out of your post. They were supposed to play Maine South week one but from what I understand Maine South opted to play GBS instead.
As it turns out that probably was a good thing for Montini. Would have liked to have seen Montini vs Naz in week one but from what I read on this board Montini didn't want to play them. Maybe we will see that game in the playoffs if both teams do as expected in 6A.

You started a thread about one school, it's clear what your motive is, your hatred for the public school is easy to spot

You couldn't be any more wrong if you tried. I like GBS and have a bunch of friends with kids who go and went there. I wish they were better, and I wish they played the best to be the best.

You couldn't be any more wrong if you tried. I like GBS and have a bunch of friends with kids who go and went there. I wish they were better, and I wish they played the best to be the best.

You didn't start a thread about one school?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT