ADVERTISEMENT

Glenbrook South Insight???

RD_Watcher

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2019
I’ve been waiting since Saturday for someone to pop up and talk about the Glenbrook South Titans. As nobody has, I guess I’ll have to ask… any insight on what to expect?

i know they gave Maine South a run for their money, but after watching that game on YouTube (thanks, Maine South), I feel that was more MS shooting themselves in the foot than GBS pressuring them. Am I wrong?

They appear to be a power run team who likes to control the clock. Their defense, curiously, appears to be a similar version of Hinsdale Central and possibly Cary Grove.

Last edited:
Don't worry HC will be fine. Even in our best years GBS has given us a game. The reason? GBS and NT hate MS! They think they should be us. The CSL title is their State Championship. HC will get a decent team but not the same that we played.

Decent QB and RB. Scrappy but smaller OL. Pretty good K.

Defense is also smaller but scrappy. 3-4 base. Active LBs.

Don't worry HC will be fine. Even in our best years GBS has given us a game. The reason? GBS and NT hate MS! They think they should be us. The CSL title is their State Championship. HC will get a decent team but not the same that we played.

Is GBS improving as a program or is this a one off? It seems it has been about a decade or so to where they have had a solid team

I've seen GBS play multiple times this year. Good power running team. RB Will Collins is probably one of the most underrated players in the state and could start for anyone

All that said, I would put HC as a 10 point favorite in this game. however, I wouldn't be SHOCKED if GBS won. Any bad weather Saturday would help GBS a good deal.

Hard to say. very small freshman class this year, but 7th and 8th grade numbers are way up.

Challenge for GBS has always been getting their top middle school kids to go to GBS instead of Loyola.
Thank you. The youth numbers have always been pretty good in Glenview, but I can't imagine how hard it is to convince a kid to go to GBS and play a handful of good games a year or go to Loyola and play for State Championships

Is GBS improving as a program or is this a one off? It seems it has been about a decade or so to where they have had a solid team
I have a work associate whose son is a senior on the team. The senior class is particularly strong. They were 8-1 as freshman and sophomores and would have repeated that if they hadn't lost the last game of the season to Evanston.

Reactions: BobbyTheBuffoon
Hard to say. very small freshman class this year, but 7th and 8th grade numbers are way up.

Challenge for GBS has always been getting their top middle school kids to go to GBS instead of Loyola.
I know that Loyola is plugged into OLPH football. It has been that way for a very long time...even in those years when GBS football was respectable.

But... OLPH is tiny in comparison with the two public middle schools in Glenview. Maybe at 40 boys (at best) graduating from OLPH these days, not all of whom play OLPH football. In both Springman and Attea middle schools, there are close to 300 8th grade boys.

If you are going to stake out a position that the top football players, or even just general athletes, from Springman and Attea middle schools are choosing Loyola over GBS year in and year out, I'd like to ask you to justify that statement as best as you can.

I know that Loyola is plugged into OLPH football. It has been that way for a very long time...even in those years when GBS football was respectable.

But... OLPH is tiny in comparison with the two public middle schools in Glenview. Maybe at 40 boys (at best) graduating from OLPH these days, not all of whom play OLPH football. In both Springman and Attea middle schools, there are close to 300 8th grade boys.

If you are going to stake out a position that the top football players, or even just general athletes, from Springman and Attea middle schools are choosing Loyola over GBS year in and year out, I'd like to ask you to justify that statement as best as you can.

I know that last year, they got 5 football players (2 from Springman, 3 from Attea), a girls tennis player and 2 girls volleyballers. Not huge numbers for Loyola, but enough to make an impact for GBS since all would likely have been key contributors to the GBS freshman team.

In fairness to Loyola, lacrosse was a much bigger factor than football for 3 of the kids.

Even if it is just three kids per class, that could make a difference. If GBS could upgrade their team at 4-6 positions, we'd be talking about much higher expectations.

Reactions: Bwm57 and ClownBaby
I know that last year, they got 5 football players (2 from Springman, 3 from Attea), a girls tennis player and 2 girls volleyballers. Not huge numbers for Loyola, but enough to make an impact for GBS since all would likely have been key contributors to the GBS freshman team.

In fairness to Loyola, lacrosse was a much bigger factor than football for 3 of the kids.

Even if it is just three kids per class, that could make a difference. If GBS could upgrade their team at 4-6 positions, we'd be talking about much higher expectations.
The numbers you are talking about for one year aren't earth shattering. Were those five football players from Springman and Attea the cream of the crop? You said yourself that most of them were drawn to Loyola more for lacrosse than football. And are these numbers consistent year after year?

The numbers you are talking about for one year aren't earth shattering. Were those five football players from Springman and Attea the cream of the crop? You said yourself that most of them were drawn to Loyola more for lacrosse than football. And are these numbers consistent year after year?
When you are low number fringe program losing 2-3 kids a year is huge. Thats 4-6 potential contributors on a Varsity roster, maybe not a big deal a school with 100 man roster but a huge deal for a school with 45 kids.

When you are low number fringe program losing 2-3 kids a year is huge. Thats 4-6 potential contributors on a Varsity roster, maybe not a big deal a school with 100 man roster but a huge deal for a school with 45 kids.
2-3 kids is a huge deal for any public school depending on the player. No public school can lose two to three kids without replacements and continue to be good/great every year. In most years, one kid can be the difference.

2-3 kids is a huge deal for any public school depending on the player. No public school can lose two to three kids without replacements and continue to be good/great every year. In most years, one kid can be the difference.
and typically those kids leaving for a private school to participate in athletics aren't your bottom of the depth chart type guys.

I strongly dislike the word "losing" in this context. It implies that the school is denied enrolling kids that they somehow deserve to enroll.

If a school with 1,500 boys has 45 kids on the varsity football roster, they need to figure that out first before bemoaning the handful of kids from public middle schools who choose to enroll in a nearby private school.

I strongly dislike the word "losing" in this context. It implies that the school is denied enrolling kids that they somehow deserve to enroll.

If a school with 1,500 boys has 45 kids on the varsity football roster, they need to figure that out first before bemoaning the handful of kids from public middle schools who choose to enroll in a nearby private school.
Nearby……..

Or not!

I think he was just trying to be polite and not stir people up by saying that deadly "R"-word

Ha! "Don't worry" you say. Easier said than done in a win or go home tournament.

I appreciate your synopsis. I'm looking forward to another great game on Saturday.

Reactions: MS4EVER
There in lies the difference between public and private schools. LHS hit on the head. 2-3 kids makes a huge difference at every public school. The top ones too. And when the best incoming freshman has an older brother on the team at GBS and somehow ends up at Loyola, it certainly has an impact. Or when a former captain and team MVP has a brother end up at Loyola because they promised him he would start as a sophomore, it takes a toll on the program. I understand that most OLPH kids are expected to go to Loyola. But when they start taking siblings of starters on the team, that is a different story.

There in lies the difference between public and private schools. LHS hit on the head. 2-3 kids makes a huge difference at every public school. The top ones too. And when the best incoming freshman has an older brother on the team at GBS and somehow ends up at Loyola, it certainly has an impact. Or when a former captain and team MVP has a brother end up at Loyola because they promised him he would start as a sophomore, it takes a toll on the program. I understand that most OLPH kids are expected to go to Loyola. But when they start taking siblings of starters on the team, that is a different story.
Cry me a river.

Recruit better internally from the 1500 boys in the school and improve the football culture before you start looking for external scapegoats. As I recall, the program was pretty darn respectable under Mike Noll. It CAN be done.

Cry me a river.

Recruit better internally from the 1500 boys in the school and improve the football culture before you start looking for external scapegoats. As I recall, the program was pretty darn respectable under Mike Noll. It CAN be done.

Spoken like a man who has never had to see the other side.

What does that have to do with GBS football?
I think he is saying that because Allstate is selling its Northbrook campus maybe people will move from that area or get relocated around the country. Just a guess.

Reactions: PowerI66
I think he is saying that because Allstate is selling its Northbrook campus maybe people will move from that area or get relocated around the country. Just a guess.
Correct. The answer could be that very little changes due to the closing, but it should be interesting over time. Similar to when Motorola Campus shut down

Perhaps, but that's not going to result in multitudes of vacant homes or substantially lower population in Glenview. If anything, Allstate employees who live in Glenview and leave it will temporarily increase the supply of houses on the market and drive down the prices thereof. They will be quickly snapped up.

Correct. The answer could be that very little changes due to the closing, but it should be interesting over time. Similar to when Motorola Campus shut down
Allstate isn't really moving anywhere. They are closing their HQ and embracing remote working. All those current employees who have been working from their Glenview homes can continue to do so.

Reactions: spr8484
You can say "cry me a river" (although I would expect a more intelligent response) but you asked someone to justify the statement. I'm not saying you can't be respectable. The best freshman in Glenview with a brother on varsity at Glenbrook South chose Loyola and you can't deny that hurts. But their freshman went 8-1. The varsity team won a playoff a game. I think that is respectable. No one complained, but like mc140 said, brushing off 2-3 players a class is pretty absurd and suggests that privates and public are very different.

Reactions: Bwm57
You can say "cry me a river" (although I would expect a more intelligent response) but you asked someone to justify the statement. I'm not saying you can't be respectable. The best freshman in Glenview with a brother on varsity at Glenbrook South chose Loyola and you can't deny that hurts. But their freshman went 8-1. The varsity team won a playoff a game. I think that is respectable. No one complained, but like mc140 said, brushing off 2-3 players a class is pretty absurd and suggests that privates and public are very different.
Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for a school the size of Glenbrook South. There is more than enough homegrown talent there. They have been competitive in the past and to play the private card to explain a decade of mediocrity is lame. If they can be 8-2 this year despite LA being in their backyard, why has it been ten years since they have won this many games? How did Mike Noll cobble together 10 winning seasons out of 12 operating under such recruiting duress from Loyola?

Just so you realize that Lake Avenue is not a one way street eastbound when it comes to football talent, there's a real talented kid with a pretty well-known last name from a family with deep Loyola roots who is starting at GBS. I betcha you know who I'm talking about. I'm sure the Ramblers would have found a ton of PT for him alongside all the other studs it denies neighboring public schools.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
GBS is a solid team with 2 good RBs. Collins is the better of the pair, but Burda can run the ball as well. The QB is solid, but they don't throw often. Perhaps a dozen times when there is good weather. Coach wants to pound the ball and often reverts to the 3 runs and a punt offense. Defense is tough, but not big.

Will be interesting to see how GBS fares moving forward. The offense has the talent to be dynamic and diverse, but I am not sure that is the style of the coach.

You asked for justification. You asked some questions. People answered them. Yet you attack people and criticize programs. I'm not even saying I disagree with everything you're saying, but you have a real habit of asking questions and then when you get an answer you don't agree with you just like to attack rather than listen to another perspective or engage with civility. It's a pretty big turnoff. Your quickness to criticize GBS (something you've done for the "full decade of mediocrity" that GBS has had) also suggests some deep-seated insecurity about Loyola's success not being 100% due to good coaching and hard work...

To the questions at hand - yeah, the number of kids "lost" to Loyola seem to be pretty consistent. And as other posters have pointed out, it's the idea of upgrading at 4-5 positions that can make a team go from 3rd place in conference, to winning playoff games, to deep playoff runs. Anyone who has coached knows that to be true. Loyola typically has a lot more depth than many of the nearby public schools and can afford to "lose" one kid to GBS from a family with Loyola roots and/or adjust to injuries to key guys during the year. That's NOT to say that GBS or New Trier or other neighboring schools can't "recruit their hallways better" or improve the culture in other arenas, but when talented/big/athletic kids go to Loyola who otherwise might have attended the local public school - it certainly has a tangible impact on their immediate ceiling.

Sure, maybe those kids choose Loyola because of their football culture and winning and whatever else. Kudos to Loyola for building all that and having a culture that draws in kids. But the point is - not all schools have an equitable playing field in terms of building towards success. You can dismiss it all with a "boo hoo, big school, try harder" attitude, but that's missing a lot of the nuance. Maybe they can try harder, and maybe Loyola's pretty extreme success down the road or around the corner ALSO makes it harder to turn that leaf over to a new football culture. Those things can both be true.

And you can keep pointing to the Noll era for GBS, but again that seems a little too simplified for a poster like yourself. GBS had under 5% students qualify for free and reduced lunch during his tenure and now have nearly 20% qualify. The hispanic population at the school has more than doubled. And maybe most importantly, the week 3 and 4 games which always used to be nearly automatic wins against the CSL North for the CSL South teams have been replaced with annual games vs either Fremd & Palatine or Conant & Barrington. Waukegan, and then Niles North, have been replaced by Glenbrook North (the most competitive team in the old CSL North). These changes in crossover games have hurt New Trier, Evanston, and GBS's records over the past few years and all three have found themself hosting a lot fewer playoff games in the time since. I know you've pointed out that schools with more diverse populations can still win - and that's true. But, again, all schools are different in different ways and to just hammer the idea that "well he did it once, see" is missing a lot of the variables that go into a successful football program.

You asked for justification. You asked some questions. People answered them. Yet you attack people and criticize programs. I'm not even saying I disagree with everything you're saying, but you have a real habit of asking questions and then when you get an answer you don't agree with you just like to attack rather than listen to another perspective or engage with civility. It's a pretty big turnoff. Your quickness to criticize GBS (something you've done for the "full decade of mediocrity" that GBS has had) also suggests some deep-seated insecurity about Loyola's success not being 100% due to good coaching and hard work...

To the questions at hand - yeah, the number of kids "lost" to Loyola seem to be pretty consistent. And as other posters have pointed out, it's the idea of upgrading at 4-5 positions that can make a team go from 3rd place in conference, to winning playoff games, to deep playoff runs. Anyone who has coached knows that to be true. Loyola typically has a lot more depth than many of the nearby public schools and can afford to "lose" one kid to GBS from a family with Loyola roots and/or adjust to injuries to key guys during the year. That's NOT to say that GBS or New Trier or other neighboring schools can't "recruit their hallways better" or improve the culture in other arenas, but when talented/big/athletic kids go to Loyola who otherwise might have attended the local public school - it certainly has a tangible impact on their immediate ceiling.

Sure, maybe those kids choose Loyola because of their football culture and winning and whatever else. Kudos to Loyola for building all that and having a culture that draws in kids. But the point is - not all schools have an equitable playing field in terms of building towards success. You can dismiss it all with a "boo hoo, big school, try harder" attitude, but that's missing a lot of the nuance. Maybe they can try harder, and maybe Loyola's pretty extreme success down the road or around the corner ALSO makes it harder to turn that leaf over to a new football culture. Those things can both be true.

And you can keep pointing to the Noll era for GBS, but again that seems a little too simplified for a poster like yourself. GBS had under 5% students qualify for free and reduced lunch during his tenure and now have nearly 20% qualify. The hispanic population at the school has more than doubled. And maybe most importantly, the week 3 and 4 games which always used to be nearly automatic wins against the CSL North for the CSL South teams have been replaced with annual games vs either Fremd & Palatine or Conant & Barrington. Waukegan, and then Niles North, have been replaced by Glenbrook North (the most competitive team in the old CSL North). These changes in crossover games have hurt New Trier, Evanston, and GBS's records over the past few years and all three have found themself hosting a lot fewer playoff games in the time since. I know you've pointed out that schools with more diverse populations can still win - and that's true. But, again, all schools are different in different ways and to just hammer the idea that "well he did it once, see" is missing a lot of the variables that go into a successful football program.

Well.

I admit I have come on strong in this thread. And I am sorry for offending people. That's not my intent. If my posts are a turn off, feel free to click the ignore button. No skin off my nose.

Did I attack GBS players or its fans by describing their recent seasons as mediocre? I don't think so. Looked at as a whole, their recent history fits that word pretty well. I suppose I could have used less strong words like unfortunate or disappointing, but I probably also could have found stronger and more colorful words.

Reactions: missingwalter
Multi paragraph posts really test my undiagnosed ADHD. They hadn’t discovered it back in my day. If I had read this much in my school days I’d probably be a doctor or lawyer now.
My wife says for sure I have it! 😂

Reactions: eireog
My wife says for sure I have it! 😂
I've turned my Adult Aspergers into a plus, as I'm a Systems Project Manager nowadays but still know how to code in nine different programming languages.. Both linear and object oriented. Just gotta find what plays to the strengths of your particular personality.

• Wow
Reactions: Gene K. and MS4EVER

Every year I go to Loyola Academy games and look at the roster that shows Middle School/Grade School, it is flooded with OLPH kids, and usually many starters. GBS has the advantage of not having an $18K tuition. Many of the OLPH kids are going to Loyola regardless because of the catholic education and the fact the parents already were spending $7K a year while living in a great district like Glenview shows they can afford LA. Park Ridge/Maine South loses a few kids a year to LA and ND, but I’m sure it would be a ton more if Park Ridge Falcons and Maine South football hadn’t built a culture. Glenview youth programs haven’t done enough over the years to get the public school kids into football. Park Ridge doesn’t have as big an issue because Mary Seat and St Paul don’t have football programs like OLPH does. It is an uphill battle for Glenview where many households can afford LA.

Reactions: Gene K.

Also Notre Dame may take a few kids in the schools that feed GBS.

Also Notre Dame may take a few kids in the schools that feed GBS.
I have lived in Glenview almost three decades and sent all my kids through OLPH. In that time, I have known a grand total of two boys attend NDCP.

Reactions: eireog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT