ADVERTISEMENT

Glenbard West

Cross Bones

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2001
In this thread we will preview a pre-season top 5 team, maybe even top 3 in the state. The Hitters are the new public standard bearer for a reason. I'll just be posting some things so we can get a feel for this Goliath...

Reactions: jdhitters
You guys crack me up! I have no idea what game 1 will bring. I never am prepared for game 1, and fully expect for GW to play a choppy and uneven game. That said, going into the game, Bollingbrook will bring a combined group of kids from a 5-5 varsity team (juniors from last year) with a group of kids from a 5-3 sophomore team, and play GW, a combined group of kids from a state championship, 14-0 varsity team (the juniors from last year), with a group of kids from an 8-0 sophomore team.

While Bollingbrook should get a little consideration because of the home field advantage, it should be noted that, typically, GW plays some of its best football away (just ask HC, OPRF and Lyons).

I know there will be a few out there who will question how GW will play without Sam Brodner in the backfield. I'd remind everyone that, before Brodner, GW would beat teams by 3 to 5 TDs using 3 or 4 really good running backs, and with Brodner, they'd beat teams by 3 to 5 TDs using predominately Sam. This year, GW has 4 or 5 really good running backs.

My questions for the 2016 GW team involve the QB, the offensive line (not skills, just team timing and coordination), and the kicking game (for me, kick offs and punts are the first defensive play in the next series, so it's a critical part of the game).

Last edited:
Reactions: Nathomas
You guys crack me up! I have no idea what game 1 will bring. I never am prepared for game 1, and fully expect for GW to play a choppy and uneven game. That said, going into the game, Bollingbrook will bring a combined group of kids from a 5-5 varsity team (juniors from last year) with a group of kids from a 5-3 sophomore team, and play GW, a combined group of kids from a state championship, 14-0 varsity team (the juniors from last year), with a group of kids from an 8-0 sophomore team.

While Bollingbrook should get a little consideration because of the home field advantage, it should be noted that, typically, GW plays some of its best football away (just ask HC, OPRF and Lyons).

I know there will be a few out there who will question how GW will play without Sam Brodner in the backfield. I'd remind everyone that, before Brodner, GW would beat teams by 3 to 5 TDs using 3 or 4 really good running backs, and with Brodner, they'd beat teams by 3 to 5 TDs using predominately Sam. This year, GW has 4 or 5 really good running backs.

My questions for the 2016 GW team involve the QB, the offensive line (not skills, just team timing and coordination), and the kicking game (for me, kick offs and punts are the first defensive play in the next series, so it's a critical part of the game).
This.

They crack me up too chuck! Like you said, we return guys from a 5-5 team and I'll take your word that our sophs were 5-3 going against the remnants of a 14-0 state championship team and 8-0 sophs. Losing Brodner isnt even an issue because Sam had like 40 yards on 26 carries anyways. And you still won 28-7 despite that. Not to mention we lose Tuf Borland and it's not like those types of LB's come along every year. Combine the fact that we lost Tuf and the fact that you guys have 4-5 really good running backs should mean disaster for us. And it's not like we're bringing much firepower as we havent for a handful of years now.

And we play better on the road oddly enough. Last year we were 3-2 at home and the wins were Romeoville and the two Joliets. None of them are on the schedule this year.

I think you have to make GBW 28 point favorites right now. Just have to.

This.

Sorry, Bones. I have to borrow one of mchsalum's comments for the above post: "comedy gold". I'm guessing you did not type that "28 point favorite" line with a straight face.

Reactions: mchsalumni
A) Soph records mean zero because coaching staffs are different and many schools bring up Sophs while Hetlet rarely does
B) I'd LT Soph QB last year had played for Sophs, GW Soph record might not have been 8-0
C) Soph records don't mean squat
D) Last time GW came off 14-0 in a night game on the road, they lost
E) Brook ran an antiquated O scheme last year and this year Charlie Weis is in the crows nest
F) Brodner is at Wisconcin and although GW has good RBs, Brodner made plays to beat HS, HC, LT, RA and Lib that we may never see again at GW.
G) Prior season records mean squat in high school
H) I need the line to stay at GW +13.5

Sorry, Bones. I have to borrow one of mchsalum's comments for the above post: "comedy gold". I'm guessing you did not type that "28 point favorite" line with a straight face.

pjjp, you have to take history into account. We have 3 defensive starters returning similar to '10 & '12. Those defenses got manhandled. Offensively we should fare a little better since I'Shawn Stewart will be back along with some other guys, that's why I said we would score at least 7 as GBW returns the D almost intact. Sadly my face remains straight.

A) Soph records mean zero because coaching staffs are different and many schools bring up Sophs while Hetlet rarely does
B) I'd LT Soph QB last year had played for Sophs, GW Soph record might not have been 8-0
E) Brook ran an antiquated O scheme last year and this year Charlie Weis is in the crows nest
F) Brodner is at Wisconcin and although GW has good RBs, Brodner made plays to beat HS, HC, LT, RA and Lib that we may never see again at GW.

Soph records can show a general level of play. I agree, some schools bring sophs and even freshmen up to varsity, but that just means they were getting bullied last year. I don't know that we ran an antiquated scheme or we just couldnt execute due to the D. Finally, 28 points and growing.

The antiquated o was a poor attempt at recalling another school/coach down there.

I watched a few of Da Brooks games from last year and wasn't really impressed with the play calling. H-F was all about the heart of that team putting up an incredible fight to keep their season alive and make the world a better place. The LWE was painful.

I think you guys come out hot on a fast track believing in that new OC.

This is true, Bones. You may be downplaying the tremendous effect of Coach Weiss' addition to the staff.

The antiquated o was a poor attempt at recalling another school/coach down there.

I watched a few of Da Brooks games from last year and wasn't really impressed with the play calling. H-F was all about the heart of that team putting up an incredible fight to keep their season alive and make the world a better place. The LWE was painful.

I think you guys come out hot on a fast track believing in that new OC.
We had at least 2 TDs dropped vs LWE. But yes, it was painful. I felt like we needed to run more last year as we didnt necessarily have the pieces to be a passing offense. Big OL, sometimes you just have to lean on people for 4 qtrs and wear them down.

LOL @ make the world a better place... it was.

Reactions: capnbillhitters
This.

They crack me up too chuck! Like you said, we return guys from a 5-5 team and I'll take your word that our sophs were 5-3 going against the remnants of a 14-0 state championship team and 8-0 sophs. Losing Brodner isnt even an issue because Sam had like 40 yards on 26 carries anyways. And you still won 28-7 despite that. Not to mention we lose Tuf Borland and it's not like those types of LB's come along every year. Combine the fact that we lost Tuf and the fact that you guys have 4-5 really good running backs should mean disaster for us. And it's not like we're bringing much firepower as we havent for a handful of years now.

And we play better on the road oddly enough. Last year we were 3-2 at home and the wins were Romeoville and the two Joliets. None of them are on the schedule this year.

I'm not sure about a 28 point favorite, basically because of a HS Game 1 Dynamic, namely the kids really know how good they are or how bad (I hate to say that or put it in that term) they are. Everyone plays tough in game 1, in spite of the crazy stuff that can happen. Of course, I'd like to see GW win, but i'd also like both teams to get off to a good start.

Well, I'm not sure I agree with the comments about Soph games. They are an indicator of things to come. And as for prior season records, I think that is the point of having a good program like at MC and GW and Naz, etc. Prior records at some schools indicate trends. And I heard a rumor that President Obama is going to grant Brodner one more year at GW. So, watch out! (At least I think I heard that...)

I dont know if everyone plays tough in week 1. I think offensively last year we played awful. But that could be what separates the good programs like GBW, MC, and Naz from the bad programs. If we want to be one of the good programs we gotta step it up on the soph level!

Only here can a school coming off a 5-5 season be considered sandbagging when suggesting the 14-0 returning champs who also beat down the 5-5 team are the favorites.

Place is bizarro world

I accept the bulk of the call out. By the very nature of the bait you laid out with this thread, I would agree that you project more confidence than sandbagging here.

Reactions: Cross Bones
Only here can a school coming off a 5-5 season be considered sandbagging when suggesting the 14-0 returning champs who also beat down the 5-5 team are the favorites.

Place is bizarro world

What I find interesting is had you come on and said BB would win this game multiple people would call you insane. If you are honest about your team and prediction, you are sandbagging, if you speak with confidence about your team, you lack respect for your opponent.

Reactions: Cross Bones
What I find interesting is had you come on and said BB would win this game multiple people would call you insane. If you are honest about your team and prediction, you are sandbagging, if you speak with confidence about your team, you lack respect for your opponent.
IMO, GBW is definitely the favorite, but not a 28-point favorite. These two teams traditionally have strong defenses. It would be reasonable to expect a low scoring game in Week 1, which does not lend itself to a 28-point spread.

IMO, GBW is definitely the favorite, but not a 28-point favorite. These two teams traditionally have strong defenses. It would be reasonable to expect a low scoring game in Week 1, which does not lend itself to a 28-point spread.

What was the spread last year? 21 or something close?

Its a catch 22 (not to be confused with the guy who posts here). Personally, Id love to say we're gonna come out and put a beating on GBW. But history tells me, "Bones, not gonna happen."

I mean last years game was actually a defensive struggle and still ended up 28-7. Im just hoping we score more than 7 and escape with our health so we can compete with B Mac in week 2.

What was the spread last year? 21 or something close?
It was 21. GBW 28 BB 7

I'll make the case for it to be closer this year:
1. Last year's game was at GBW.
2. BB is a much faster track, which should benefit the Brook. Not to mention playing on their home field.
3. GBW lost Brodner, who was arguably the best player in the state, and the focal point of GBW's offense.

I'll still take GBW, but I don't expect a 21-point spread. JMO.

It was 21. GBW 28 BB 7

I'll make the case for it to be closer this year:
1. Last year's game was at GBW.
2. BB is a much faster track, which should benefit the Brook. Not to mention playing on their home field.
3. GBW lost Brodner, who was arguably the best player in the state, and the focal point of GBW's offense.

I'll still take GBW, but I don't expect a 21-point spread. JMO.

I'm neutral however I don't see how Bones saying -28 point spread is sandbagging. As great as Brodner was, he was more of a power guy than quick strike. Depending on this years backfield, quick strike can pile up more points. Your point about the surface can work against BB offense as GBW usually have a pretty fast defense. Now put that attacking defense on Turf and you really have some problems on your hand. If I were 5-5 and facing the state champs, I would be very concern as well. It's not like you are playing against a team that will allow you to make a ton of mistakes. Some have said this is their best team in a while (GBW).

I will also add that since the championship everyone has been questioning his preseason prediction however every year its pretty close, right?

Reactions: TribPreps
Let's do this mathematically:
2015 - GW 28 BB - 7 Spread 21
Start with GW -21
BB at home (+3 from -3 so 6 pt swing) -6 = GW -15
Brodner out -7 = GW -8
Charlie Weis OC -7 = GW -1
GW Sophs 2015 8-0 +1 = GW -2
GW 14-0 BB 5-5 2015 +2 = GW -4 (already started at 21 pts from 2015)
BB Chip from 2015 -3 = GW -1

Fair?

I've read a number of posts here and in other threads that use the following logic to justify optimism in a teams upcoming prospects: a team is returning 9 or 10 or pick a number from last year's 5-4 or 6-3 team, so expectations are high for a great season. I've never understood that. A group of kids from a 5-4 team should expect another 5-4 season, unless there are new additional and proven key elements to the team to justify greater expectations. That's why the sophomore element is important when considering the upcoming season.

Now, Bollingbrook has a new o/c, and although that is a new element in the teams calculus for the upcoming season, it's unproven until they get in a game and prove something. So, can anyone comment on their receivers, their tightened, and o-line? I read that they will be throwing more than in the past. If it works, and they can move the ball, it's a good thing for them. If they can't complete passes, they will stop the clock a lot and give the ball up to GW's offense. So, do they have the talent to run the new offense in game 1?

Let's do this mathematically:
2015 - GW 28 BB - 7 Spread 21
Start with GW -21
BB at home (+3 from -3 so 6 pt swing) -6 = GW -15
Brodner out -7 = GW -8
Charlie Weis OC -7 = GW -1
GW Sophs 2015 8-0 +1 = GW -2
GW 14-0 BB 5-5 2015 +2 = GW -4 (already started at 21 pts from 2015)
BB Chip from 2015 -3 = GW -1

Fair?
No sir based on Bones previous points.
1. They don't play well at home. He has been dead on when it comes to BB. Reference LWE.
2. Brodner out, what was his stats that game. BB had the LB that was just as tuff. I am sure those two pretty much neutralized each out. Just a thought. I could be wrong. At this point we are still -21 unless Brodner accounted for 14 plus points.
3. Unless Weis has put up major offense against GBW defense in the past, I am going to say just wait and see.
The rest is just open discussion. right?

1. They don't play well at home. He has been dead on when it comes to BB. Reference LWE.
2. Brodner out, what was his stats that game. BB had the LB that was just as tuff. I am sure those two pretty much neutralized each out. Just a thought. I could be wrong. At this point we are still -21 unless Brodner accounted for 14 plus points.
3. Unless Weis has put up major offense against GBW defense in the past, I am going to say just wait and see.

1. BB has speed to burn with D-1 WR, RBs and last years field was a mess. If you want to say -3 fine, but GW on the road week 1 at night is 0-1 since 2010.
2. Brodner scored twice against an extremely stout D lead by Tuf. While GW reloads backs, we lack POY guy (worth 1 TD)
3. OCs can make a HUUUGE impact. If you get a bunch of athletes rowing together in a fun scheme, the sky is the limit, but I hear you on the week 1 thing, so I will respectfully halve that

I got -21
GW on road -3 = 18
Brodner out -7 = 11
Charlie Weis -3 = 8
GW Soph +1 = 9
2016 returners +2 = 11
BB Chip -1 = 10

GW -10

That sounds more realistic?

Just to add a note on Brodner's performance against Bollingbrook last year: he rushed for 56 yards on 25 carries, and scored twice, on a 1 yard and a 2 yard run. Skinner had a big game. This year, it'll be 2 senior running backs and 2 junior running backs that will try to get the job done.

Capn,

Until you start referring to BB's new OC as Malzhan and not Weiss you have zero credibility.

Not only does he have a Malzhan Build he also knows how to utilize the talent he has on the team to highest impact and can adjust on the fly rather than beating his head against the wall expecting different results each time he does the same thing.

1. BB has speed to burn with D-1 WR, RBs and last years field was a mess. If you want to say -3 fine, but GW on the road week 1 at night is 0-1 since 2010.
2. Brodner scored twice against an extremely stout D lead by Tuf. While GW reloads backs, we lack POY guy (worth 1 TD)
3. OCs can make a HUUUGE impact. If you get a bunch of athletes rowing together in a fun scheme, the sky is the limit, but I hear you on the week 1 thing, so I will respectfully halve that

I got -21
GW on road -3 = 18
Brodner out -7 = 11
Charlie Weis -3 = 8
GW Soph +1 = 9
2016 returners +2 = 11
BB Chip -1 = 10

GW -10

That sounds more realistic?

I am watching this hudl for Dionte Moorehead... looks like a BEAST.

Okay I got

GBW +21

no Brodner -7 (14)
4/5 really good RB's +8 (22)
GBW D on turf +3 (25)
BB bad at home -3 (28)
BB 3 returning D starters -14 (42)
Mallory & Green-May + 9 (33)
no Borland -7 (40)
BB 8 returning starters on O +7 (33)
BB 5-5 -3 (36)
GBW 14-0 +4 (40)

I got a running clock.

Bones,

How about double or nothin from last year's wager?

Okay I got

GBW +21

no Brodner -7 (14)
GBW D on turf +3 (25)
BB bad at home -3 (28)
no Borland -7 (40)
BB 5-5 -3 (36)
GBW 14-0 +4 (40)

I got a running clock.

Capn,

Until you start referring to BB's new OC as Malzhan and not Weiss you have zero credibility.

Check

Okay I got

GBW +21

no Brodner -7 (14)
GBW D on turf +3 (25)
BB bad at home -3 (28)
no Borland -7 (40)
BB 5-5 -3 (36)
GBW 14-0 +4 (40)

I got a running clock.

A) Moorehead is a sweetheart, but sometimes OLBs like to crash, so he helps them change course. A couple (OPRF etc) actually tapped out. Funny story is that when he played for Sophs we got into a dog fight with OPRF and we ran him 15 straight carries off LT until he scored the winning TD. Only game he carried the ball all year. He was our punter, kicker, DE and part time RB.

B) Chuck sounds like he will give you those 40, but from me it is 11 tops and I am not convinced that properly represents how this game is going to play out

Bones,

Sounds like a plan and yes I do remember that. It cleans the slate if you win. If not you know it's gonna be a good year for Da Brook! Win/win

I always bet on the good guys... but I have 3 weeks to make the case

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT