ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman numbers way down

I'd be interested to see CPS numbers? How many schools do not field a team this year or do not start on time?

I just got done doing my previews from the CSL and MSL. I would disagree with that statement.

Especially since I ask each school what their numbers are. Certainly they don't approach the numbers of 10 years ago. But they are better than they were three years ago.

6 West Suburban schools don't have a soph team. Oak Park, both Proviso's, Addison Trail, Leyden, and Hinsdale South.

Elk Grove 35
Palatine 45
Fremd 45
Conant 42
Maine West 54 frosh/soph
Maine East 34
Glenbrook South 30
Niles West 40
Barrington 52
Rolling Meadows 35
New Trier 51

These are freshman numbers. Some schools just reported total numbers, which was 3 levels (Varsity, JV, Frosh). All of those were in the 125-165 range.

Hearing Caravan has low 60’s. Which is a tad lower but still strong considering the time

Elk Grove 35
Palatine 45
Fremd 45
Conant 42
Maine West 54 frosh/soph
Maine East 34
Glenbrook South 30
Niles West 40
Barrington 52
Rolling Meadows 35
New Trier 51

These are freshman numbers. Some schools just reported total numbers, which was 3 levels (Varsity, JV, Frosh). All of those were in the 125-165 range.
Check again on Palatine Quags. They are at 75 freshman. From what I've heard they are scheduling C games.

Last edited:
Looked at Rochester’s freshman schedule. It appears that 4 CS8 schools will not have a Freshman team (Eisenhower, MacArthur, Lanphier, and Springfield). These are all either 5A or 6A schools.

Looking on their site and hearing from one of the parents, im surprised their varsity has less than 50. 🤔
Negative. I initially heard low 60’s on Varsity from word of mouth but just checked the site and counted 54 (I counted quickly @go_rice so if I’m wrong take it easy). Only 16 seniors I think. This senior class was Coach Lenti’s last recruiting one and was very small from the get go. Some transfered, most stayed at MC but just stopped playing football for one reason or another.

Lol
Pioneer when it comes to LWE their are a lot of jelious people on this site. You have to take in stride or push the ignore button.
Us Ramblers don’t get envious, my man. It was meant in jest. I guess it’s true - 20% of the population is born without a sense of humor. Hope we are 8A this year. 😉 Great day to be a Rambler!

Last edited:
Elk Grove 35
Palatine 45
Fremd 45
Conant 42
Maine West 54 frosh/soph
Maine East 34
Glenbrook South 30
Niles West 40
Barrington 52
Rolling Meadows 35
New Trier 51

Very surprised by the 30 number at Glenbrook South. I have no idea how that compares to recent years, but GBS is the second largest school on the above list after New Trier, yet it has the lowest number of freshmen football players of all the schools on that list. I wonder what they had in the Mike Noll era.

JCA is looking for a freshman game week one, so I'm guessing that Simeon does not have a freshman team.

JCA is looking for a freshman game week one, so I'm guessing that Simeon does not have a freshman team.
They rarely do. JV and V. Your freshman could beat their JV probably. All the talent no matter the year is on Varsity

Maybe this is why Joliet-area schools are down in freshmen numbers - JCA has them all!
I was wondering what the total freshman class had. They have had some classes hovering near 150 in recent years. Assuming 80 boys, 50 playing ball would be a huge number.

So I am assuming the overall frosh class number must be closer to 200 this year? Any JC guys know?

I was wondering what the total freshman class had. They have had some classes hovering near 150 in recent years. Assuming 80 boys, 50 playing ball would be a huge number.

So I am assuming the overall frosh class number must be closer to 200 this year? Any JC guys know?
JCA frosh has 25 running backs and 25 offensive linemen.

Us Ramblers don’t get envious, my man. It was meant in jest. I guess it’s true - 20% of the population is born without a sense of humor. Hope we are 8A this year. 😉 Great day to be a Rambler!

Lol
I notice you never miss an opportunity to take a jab at East and then back track saying you we’re only kidding. It’s all good you don’t understand I was just trying to gets some banter going with the season about to start. I hope LA is in 8A it’s where they should be. I totally respect LA and their program. I can’t say enough good things about them.

Should have combined frosh/soph these schools
The remaining 8 schools have Soph teams so, scheduling issues since they all have frosh teams? Been told the Soph teams will play JV squads the weeks they play the 6 slackers. Yep, slackers. I’ve seen, and had kids on, Soph teams at Willowbrook with less than 20 on the roster. And they’ve had success and readied played for their varsity years. So I find it hard to believe that these schools, some with some of the largest enrollments in the state (Leyden & OPRF - 3400 kids, 14th & 15th largest in state! Even the smallest in the group, Hinsdale South, has 1400 students), can’t find 16 - 25 Soph boys to play ball. Hard to believe. Has to be something else.

With 4 of the 6 on the Gold side makes it a big hill to climb for WB, DGS and Morton Soph squads to be playing JV rosters all year. Good luck boys…

Elk Grove 35
Palatine 45
Fremd 45
Conant 42
Maine West 54 frosh/soph
Maine East 34
Glenbrook South 30
Niles West 40
Barrington 52
Rolling Meadows 35
New Trier 51

What game are you covering this Friday?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT