ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman Football Rosters - Yikes!!!

Culldogs

Dec 17, 2004
It's been discussed here for sure over the years, but the curiosity got best of me so I went online to count a few high school freshman football rosters and immediately it got very interesting. So I looked at a few more.

Are mama's going to let they babies grow up to be hs football players? Should Edgy get a second job? Used 8 to 18 or the school website. Did my best to count carefully and apologize if any errors but as expected trending in wrong direction. If you think about it only 22 plus special teams is all you need but not a whole lot of depth for sure. Boys lacrosse is a Spring sport but I think it is and will continue to diminish these numbers.

Privates
Brother Rice - 63
Mount Carmel - 57
Marist - 47
Providence - 37
Rita - N/A - Mmmm
Joliet Catholic - 30

Non Private
Lake Zurich - 28 in team picture.
Geneva - 30
Streamwood - 30 - no sophomore team
Batavia - 48
Nap. North - 51
Nap. Central - 47

It's been discussed here for sure over the years, but the curiosity got best of me so I went online to count a few high school freshman football rosters and immediately it got very interesting. So I looked at a few more.

Are mama's going to let they babies grow up to be hs football players? Should Edgy get a second job? Used 8 to 18 or the school website. Did my best to count carefully and apologize if any errors but as expected trending in wrong direction. If you think about it only 22 plus special teams is all you need but not a whole lot of depth for sure. Boys lacrosse is a Spring sport but I think it is and will continue to diminish these numbers.

Privates
Brother Rice - 63
Mount Carmel - 57
Marist - 47
Providence - 37
Rita - N/A - Mmmm
Joliet Catholic - 30

Non Private
Geneva - 30
Batavia - 48
Nap. North - 51
Nap. Central - 47

Rita's roster is available at stritamustangs.com. 40 is the count.

Privates
Brother Rice - 63
Mount Carmel - 57
Marist - 47
Providence - 37
Rita - N/A - Mmmm
Joliet Catholic - 30

Non Private
Geneva - 30
Batavia - 48
Nap. North - 51
Nap. Central - 47

Rita frosh is at 40 and easily found on their athletic website. No mmmm needed. 4-0 on the season but from the looks of all the southland blue teams, they all did well talent-wise and should be a great competition for the blue title.

If you are suggesting that lacrosse in the spring is somehow going to impact football in the fall....you're high. Lacrosse is boring. We already have sports with goals at each end of the field (soccer, hockey). Football is suffering due to moms believing all of the negative pub about concussions. Throw in travel sports and sport specialization.....there you go. Lacrosse has no impact on football. Football players that play lacrosse will tell you....lacrosse is for those that can't play football, but want to feel like they do, because they wear equipment. They wear all that equipment in lacrosse and you can't get physical barely at all.

As stated earlier,Argo did not have enough kids for a Frosh team.I remember back in the 70's & 80's almost every school had a A & B squad

If you are suggesting that lacrosse in the spring is somehow going to impact football in the fall....you're high. Lacrosse is boring. We already have sports with goals at each end of the field (soccer, hockey). Football is suffering due to moms believing all of the negative pub about concussions. Throw in travel sports and sport specialization.....there you go. Lacrosse has no impact on football. Football players that play lacrosse will tell you....lacrosse is for those that can't play football, but want to feel like they do, because they wear equipment. They wear all that equipment in lacrosse and you can't get physical barely at all.

Agreed that you don't have to be Big to play lacrosse but the best lacrosse players I have watched not at NT have been top shelf football players. And if you think lacrosse doesn't get incredibly physical, you might be high

I am a football guy (coach and played it). My son plays lacrosse (he also plays football) and there are many on his lacrosse team who gave up the sport of football to play lacrosse, this despite the different seasons of competition. So I know it has taken away from the sport. I think since football has been so vilified, parents see it as the safer choice. What they do not know is lacrosse can be just as physical as football. Infact one of the most violent hits I have ever seen has not been on the football field but in a lacrosse game. 150lb kid running 100 mph got steamrolled by a 230lb kid. Game got delayed waiting for ambulance to come. Lastly yes , the game is boring to watch. But these kids are not watching they are playing and I am told the game is very fun to play.

Reactions: ChrisitanBros84

Yeah baseball gets all the physical kids in Spring. LMAO!!!

Interesting perspective. Can you elaborate?

Think of it in school terms. Teacher student ratio is a big metric when figuring school quality. Coach player ratio, meaningful reps and meaningful playing time are better for development. On the private side, the opportunity to pay 12k to be a tackling dummy at a position that's six deep has to be so enticing.:D

Privates
Brother Rice - 63
Mount Carmel - 57
Marist - 47
Providence - 37
Rita - N/A - Mmmm
Joliet Catholic - 30

Non Private
Geneva - 30
Batavia - 48
Nap. North - 51
Nap. Central - 47
Boylan has has about 20 kids on frosh roster the last couple of years. It ain't looking good

Interesting perspective. Can you elaborate?

With the limited amount of practice time allowed, the more reps you can give a kid the better. I will also add that a good ratio of kids to coaches is somewhere between 8 and 10. Most 9th grade teams will be lucky to have 4 consistent quality coaches.

Reactions: RockSoup
The thing with freshman football is you need to give opportunity especially in the day and age of specialized sports.

That tackling dummy can hit puberty and grow in high school and have an impact on varsity.

Where teams are no longer playing B games, you lose an opportunity to keep kids involved.

I am not certain who is playing B games any longer but I always saw value there. Watching teams where a coach plays 22 different kids where the opportunity arises as opposed to playing the 13 best kids (9 going both ways and on special teams) while 15-20 sit and watch at the Pop Warner/Frosh level I think can cause as much damage as anything mom may think about injuries.

Privates
Brother Rice - 63
Mount Carmel - 57
Marist - 47
Providence - 37
Rita - N/A - Mmmm
Joliet Catholic - 30

Non Private
Geneva - 30
Batavia - 48
Nap. North - 51
Nap. Central - 47

Privates
Brother Rice - 63
Mount Carmel - 57
Marist - 47
Providence - 37
Rita - N/A - Mmmm
Joliet Catholic - 30

Non Private
Geneva - 30
Batavia - 48
Nap. North - 51
Nap. Central - 47

Private schools are stealing all the public school kids for footbapl

Agreed that you don't have to be Big to play lacrosse but the best lacrosse players I have watched not at NT have been top shelf football players. And if you think lacrosse doesn't get incredibly physical, you might be high
I believe it's the fastest growing sport in America.

I believe it's the fastest growing sport in America.

Until the concussion numbers start to grow.

I would have to say in all my years of teaching, girls soccer players are the most concussed group of athletes I have taught.

Reactions: PRokie
Until the concussion numbers start to grow.

I would have to say in all my years of teaching, girls soccer players are the most concussed group of athletes I have taught.

You are spot on. Also, once the lens shifts to hockey I like things will get rather interesting.

RE : Boylan

That's what I assumed. Will be interesting to see attendance in 2027.

I can't imagine anyone outside of North, Harlem, or Hononegah has any type of big Freshman numbers anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT