ADVERTISEMENT

Football Broadcast back in the day

crazylegs777

Oct 18, 2023
Being a huge Sica & Illini 8 fan I was wondering what radio stations might have broadcasted your High School & were they on tv? I remember so much of the Illini 8 & Sica. Argo had WARG that didn’t really have a super big signal but they broadcasted all the Argo home games. Sometimes they were on Oak Park Cable-vision in Burbank on a Monday. Reavis had a station in the late 90’s & 2000’s WRHS that broadcast home games.

HF has their own student station and a lot of media people went to HF. I also remember WJOB plus WLNR in Lansing as well....also remember a weekly talk show on WLNR back in the day....WJOL here in Joliet has been doing high school sports for almost 100 years.....and again local media coverage ;like radio much more available in smaller schools and towns across the state compared to Chicagoland

HF has their own student station and a lot of media people went to HF. I also remember WJOB plus WLNR in Lansing as well....also remember a weekly talk show on WLNR back in the day....WJOL here in Joliet has been doing high school sports for almost 100 years.....and again local media coverage ;like radio much more available in smaller schools and towns across the state compared to Chicagoland
What were the 2 others in Joliet who did Joliet area broadcast? WLLI & WCCQ? I know Metrovision rotated showing Andrew,Stagg & Sandburg Football each Monday in the 80’s. HF yes I remember. My grandpa & I were coming back from a game & caught the end of the upset win over ESL on the way back. We stopped out there to get gyros & fries so we could keep listening.

Joe May on WIBV. Great fella. I helped with some of his technical stuff early in the internet days until his passing. He called games when I was I kid listener and called my games too.

Loved high school sports. He once traveled to Chicago covering a local team and found a place to broadcast - from an apartment building overlooking the stadium into a telephone.
img

Joe May on WIBV. Great fella. I helped with some of his technical stuff early in the internet days until his passing. He called games when I was I kid listener and called my games too.

Loved high school sports. He once traveled to Chicago covering a local team and found a place to broadcast - from an apartment building overlooking the stadium into a telephone.
img
I listened to Flyer & other teams from your area on Saturday nights from the South Suburbs. My dad built a nice neat antenna & we’d pull the station in!!!

All.... Sports Radio 1450AM in Springfield has been doing SHG football for decades . The anti Cyclone folks in town call the station WSHG. (lol) This includes all of their playoff games as well with a half hour before of pre game talk with the coach.

If there is not a broadcast conflict they also do area high school playoff games. For instance Williamsville went to the state final in 2022 . The radio crew called that game.

1450 also does basketball and baseball games with many different schools. But when it comes to the football season it's only the Cyclones. It's all about station revenue. There are some advertisers that have been running spots for darn near forever during those broadcasts.

Another radio station 92.7 does the Chatham Glenwood games. Also a sister station to 1450 (96.7?) I believe still does many Rochester Rocket games. Rochester as well has a crew that does RocketTV. The production value is quite high and many people watch that online.

Every now and then on radio the Springfield schools will get thrown a bone when not playing SHG or Rochester and get a game on the air as well. Ratsy

Sam Madonia has announced SHG football for over 30 years. He also used to announce some basketball, particularly the annual City tournament. Steve Bridge and Chris McCloud have handled Rochester football during Derek's tenure. Jim Ruppert, who was the long-time SJR sports editor, calls a mix of football, basketball, and baseball as does Greg Halblieb. Ruppert and Halblieb were the announcers of the epic 94-72 Springfield-Rock Island playoff football game in 2021. Tim Schweizer does basketball and baseball and used to do P.A. duties for football games at Memorial Stadium. Derek Parris, Leanna Churchill, and others provide incredible highlights of all area sports for 1450.

Reactions: EdgyTim
Anyone remember the Public Access channel that used to do Football and Basketball games back in the early 90s in the South Suburbs and Will County? I remember Jeff Ponczak and Pat Disabato had a weekly show.

Dont remember where they broadcast out of though.

I would love to have a few copies of those.

Sam Madonia has announced SHG football for over 30 years. He also used to announce some basketball, particularly the annual City tournament. Steve Bridge and Chris McCloud have handled Rochester football during Derek's tenure. Jim Ruppert, who was the long-time SJR sports editor, calls a mix of football, basketball, and baseball as does Greg Halblieb. Ruppert and Halblieb were the announcers of the epic 94-72 Springfield-Rock Island playoff football game in 2021. Tim Schweizer does basketball and baseball and used to do P.A. duties for football games at Memorial Stadium. Derek Parris, Leanna Churchill, and others provide incredible highlights of all area sports for 1450.
Springfield area has always been strong covering HS sports very similar to my Joliet area used to be in many ways

Reactions: rocketnation

If you remember EDGY WLNR broadcast they had ppl calling in the area scores after the Saturday games!!! And now I have the South Holland Bank song stuck in my head

All.... And as you know 1450AM also has their call in and sports show.

For those that are not familiar with it 4 to 6 pm Monday through Friday when they are not broadcasting local sporting events or airing a MLB game.

Then Saturday morning from 10am to 12. My favorite during the HS football season. I have called in on that time slot for years after Friday night football numerous times. Robust give and take "discussions" on air when a caller (usually a fan(s) unhappy how the game went against the Cyclones) the previous night or even now and then the host (s) as well. When needed one has to set the record straight. 😇 Ratsy

I used to love the DVC game of the Week on WONC North Central College Radio. They broadcast until probably around 2010, always did a good job even though it was just a college kids.

Edgy is right. Joliet has a rich history of doing high school football and basketball games. I wonder how many games guys like Scott Slocum and Don Ladas did. I don't listen anymore but I assume Slocum is still doing games. Way back in the day there was a guy named Frank O'Leary who did basketball games. I didn't realize he just passed away last year? Wow!

Reactions: RockSoup

img
Joe May was a legend. He called games as he sees them, If there was a call he did agree with he let it be know but over great great guy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT