ADVERTISEMENT

Feeto's Friday Upset Special...

feeto

Aug 23, 2007
It's playoff time. The part of the season where an upset equals a trip home for the winter. The first week of playoffs is always a controversial time for upsets. Who's the favorite? Should it be determined by seating, record, strength of schedule, conference opponents? I say it's a combination of all of the above. For this weeks upset we'll head to the south suburbs for a 5A match up. This weeks upset is .....the #13 seed, 5 - 4 Vikings of St. Laurence vs the #4 seed, 8 - 1 Hawks of Hillcrest. This will be a battle of 2 great running backs, St. Larry's Nate Thomas vs Hillcrest's Mar'keise Irving. Judging by stats alone, the edge goes to Irving. He's one of the best in the state. The difference maker in this one will be, Coach of the Year candidate Adam Nissen of St. Laurence. This Frank Lenti protege is one of the best young coaches around, and I believe he'll come up with a way to slow down the Hillcrest offense. As far as common opponents go, both teams have played Br. Rice this year. The Hawks lost a close one on opening day 26 - 20, while the Vikings trounced the Crusaders in a 21 - 10 upset just a few weeks ago. I'll take the Vikings tonight in Hillcrest, final score........St. Laurence 28 - Hillcrest 21. That's this weeks upset. What are your thoughts, and who is your upset?

I will take a huge leap on Lakes over Simeon. Lakes is not better than Simeon in any way, but the last few weeks have not been easy on CPS football. Lakes has played some good teams in Antioch and Deerfield very close and they had an "active bye week" against Round Lake last week while Simeon wasn't doing anything organized in the last 2 weeks.

You can all point and laugh in a few days, but I'm feeling dangerous today!

I like this one also DigitalCy. Simeon without advance scout team work may still overcome on athletic ability alone. Will this substantiate the importance of coaching up players for game situations? Or will natural broken play instinct take over the game?

Playoff time got me feeling frisky, I got 2 upsets this week!
Crystal Lake South going to go swamp mode and chomp up Deerfield!

Newton over Beardstown. As much as I love a good beard, gravity is way more important.

Way down south in 5A, Im gonna say #16 seed MacArthur beats #1 Mt Zion

Upset? How about Urban Prep Bronzeville over Richmond Burton in the ultimate upset. Since UPB is a charter school, they have been able to practice and play during the CPS strike. Second, one of these CPL teams is going to win this week...this is the upset special thread....so...

This one should go to Hinsdale, but wouldn’t be shocked if The Brook beats HC.

Playoff time got me feeling frisky, I got 2 upsets this week!
Crystal Lake South going to go swamp mode and chomp up Deerfield!

Newton over Beardstown. As much as I love a good beard, gravity is way more important.
Who doesn't love a good beard, it's not like there's anything wrong with that..

Last edited:
Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
As a Newton I will always root for said Newton teams. However, it is impossible to ignore a good beard. For many reasons - some not appropriate to post here.

And with November being no Shave November, that's another reason too. Maybe it would be a toss up, but then gravity plays into that so its a Newton-thing.

Oswego East over South Elgin

I like this one too but I think it's mainly due to some of the over the top love the SE fans were pushing for their team before the loss to Bartlett. I suspect that their conference competition will be exposed for being on the weaker side.

I like this one too but I think it's mainly due to some of the over the top love the SE fans were pushing for their team before the loss to Bartlett. I suspect that their conference competition will be exposed for being on the weaker side.
I'm a little bit from column A and a little from Column B. I've watched a lot of Upstate 8 football this week and I know the OE program pretty well. Just looks like a winnable game. That being said OE has a propensity to shoot itself at times.

Upset? How about Urban Prep Bronzeville over Richmond Burton in the ultimate upset. Since UPB is a charter school, they have been able to practice and play during the CPS strike. Second, one of these CPL teams is going to win this week...this is the upset special thread....so...
I wondered about that because scores were posted for games last week

Way down south in 5A, Im gonna say #16 seed MacArthur beats #1 Mt Zion

May very well happen. Not sure Mt. Zion has faced the speed and athleticism the Generals will bring. On the other hand, McArthur will have to put it all together against a 9-0 team which has had a few quality wins this year.

May very well happen. Not sure Mt. Zion has faced the speed and athleticism the Generals will bring. On the other hand, McArthur will have to put it all together against a 9-0 team which has had a few quality wins this year.
The one game I have been to for Mt.Zion this year, they were fast to the ball so I think as far as the speed factor goes they should be fine. Not saying they can’t lose, but I don’t think speed is their weakness. I think their weakness is if they’re forced to throw deep a lot. They were big on passes in the backfield when I saw them. Pretty solid running back for them too

Reactions: Gene K.

No retraction?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT