ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Football Movies

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
What are everyone’s favorite football movies?

I ran across a Top 30 list of all time football movies and was surprised that one of my favorites failed to even make the list. So, here are my Top 5 plus the one less heralded film. Interested in how others rate their favorites.

1- Friday Night Lights. Really liked the book and the movie was also great. Thought the cast was perfect and the final game well done.

2- North Dallas Forty. A both funny and somewhat depressing look at a fictional pro team based on the Dallas Cowboys over one week of their season. Nick Nolte was outstanding.

3- Rudy. The Rocky of football. Man does Sean Astin take some serious punishment in the practice scenes. Co-stars a very young Vince Vaughn.

4- Brian‘s Song. Dare you to not tear up when Billy Dee Williams gives his speech about Brian Piccolo.

5- We Are Marshall. Based on the loss of nearly the entire Marshall team and staff in an airplane crash and then the attempt to rebuild the program using mostly freshman players at a time when they were typically ineligible. Sad but also uplifting.

My unheralded favorite is the Best of Times (1986) starring Kurt Russell and Robin Williams. This was neither a box office nor a critical success. Williams has been haunted for 15 years by dropping a pass in the “big game” against their arch rival. Russell was the star QB who was injured in the same game. Neither left town after high school. Russell is remembered as the greatest QB in their town’s history. Williams is the town goat who can’t let it go and decides to replay the game which ended in a scoreless tie. No one else is interested at first, and Williams uses some underhanded tactics to get the rematch ok’d by Russell and the town. Really enjoyed the game against the bigger and more impressive opponent. Love the line by Russell when discussing with Williams the plan: “You can’t remake history without an Offensive Line.”

Original Brian’s Song yes.Invincible although they forgot to mention Vince played pro football in the WFL.Original longest yard although the new one answered the question that Reynolds/Sandler didn’t kill anybody & calling Appy State a weak nobody in the remake? Come on.Heaven can wait,Lucas filmed in Illinois though not really a football movie.Wildcats same only because filmed in Chicago

Last edited:
Reactions: 89morrisgrad
Original Brian’s Song yes.Invincible although the get to mention Vince played pro football in the WFL Original longest yard although the new one answer the question that Reynolds/Sandler didn’t kill anybody & calling Appy State a weak nobody in the remake? Come on.Heaven can wait,Lucas filmed in Illinois though not really a football movie.Wildcats same only because filmed in Chicago
With Heaven Can Wait it helped that I was a big Rams fan as a kid.

Original Brian’s Song yes.Invincible although the get to mention Vince played pro football in the WFL Original longest yard although the new one answer the question that Reynolds/Sandler didn’t kill anybody & calling Appy State a weak nobody in the remake? Come on.Heaven can wait,Lucas filmed in Illinois though not really a football movie.Wildcats same only because filmed in Chicago
Wildcats is one of my all time favorites. Fun fact, Phillip Finch was played by Tab Thacker who won an NCAA wrestling heavyweight title for NC State!

This was mentioned briefly above but I also really liked The Best of Times as a kid and watching it again recently it holds up over time for 80’s entertainment! Reno Hightower! “Oh Nelly, he’s wearing his white shoes” Why that amazed so many people back them I never knew...but the football game at the end was actually really well done and I loved the concept of playing a game again and surprised we haven’t seen it done here in some way....I’m sure it’s been attempted!

This was mentioned briefly above but I also really liked The Best of Times as a kid and watching it again recently it holds up over time for 80’s entertainment! Reno Hightower! “Oh Nelly, he’s wearing his white shoes” Why that amazed so many people back them I never knew...but the football game at the end was actually really well done and I loved the concept of playing a game again and surprised we haven’t seen it done here in some way....I’m sure it’s been attempted!
Great movie as well. The last time I heard of this happening was in the early 90s. IC and St. Francis played a game involving their two teams from the 70s. I'm not sure how many people played, or who won, but I remember the excitement and T-shirts were around for years after that game. Anyone on here actually remember that or play in that game?

I was disappointed with Any Given Sunday as a whole, well acted but the Willie Beaman story was too over the top, guy has 2 decent games and he is on the cover of magazines, shoots a commercial and is on every talk show? And that damn field with in the playoff game....no yardage markers, it was just art....that aside, it did have an amazing scene with Jim Brown telling Al Pachino his issues with pro football and eventually says “That’s why I want to coach High School, get back to the basics.....it’s pure”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT