Position: OLB/DE

High School:
Hillcrest

Graduation Year: 2019

Height: 6-foot-3

Weight: 215 pounds

Video Link:

My impressions of Cam Mattox:
I was able to see Cam Mattox in person at a few winter showcase camps including my annual MLK Day showcase event. Mattox, who played defensive end last season for the Hawks was an all conference selection for head coach Morgan Weaver.

Evaluation of Cam Mattox:
Mattox is a name to pay attention towards over the next 6-9 months in particular. Mattox, who played defensive end last season from a size/length and athletic ability could be considered to be more of a hybrid OLB/DE type at the college level. Mattox has good size, length and a frame that will also carry much more weight over the next 18-24 months once Mattox is locked into a full time college weight/nutrition program. Mattox has good speed and quickness of the edge, can be disruptive in both the pass rush and also defending the run. Mattox is also athletic enough to drop into pass coverage when needed and also shows good overall ball skills and awareness. Mattox also has good overall awareness, reads and reacts well and has that quick twitch you look for in a higher level athlete.

Questions or possible room for improvement for Cam Mattox? Mattox I feel is still very much a work in progress on several levels. Mattox has the raw physical skills and tools to develop and add size. Mattox will also need to work on improving his overall positional work and technique, in particular when it comes to beating offensive linemen with more than his very good outside speed rush. Mattox at times can rely more on his natural speed and size to overwhelm opposing linemen. Mattox will need to add moves and technique to be much more effective at the college level. Mattox also will need to add more weight/size and strength and also needs to improve using his hands better. Mattox will also need to shed blocks more consistently for the higher level while also working on and improving his overall speed and quickness.

Projected level:

Rivals.com has Cam Mattox as an unranked name and Mattox for now will need to show more to the Rivals folks this spring and summer. I feel Mattox is a high two star to a low three star ranked name. Mattox still has a lot to learn and develop, yet he is also a kid who I feel has a very high ceiling and for now is a bit under the radar. I can see Cam Mattox developing into a power to mid tier Big Ten talent. However, in this "earlier than ever before" offer climate will those same lower to mid tier Big Ten schools offer a kid like Mattox who has a ton of "upside" while still being a bit of an early projection?

Mattox currently has two MAC offers and some FCS offers as well. I can see more MAC schools and FCS level schools getting involved sooner rather than later. Mattox will need to camp this summer to earn bigger Power 5 interest and eventual offers. I would not count Cam Mattox out of eventually ending up drawing those lower to mid tier Big Ten offers this summer.

Mattox reminds me of so many kids that in-state NIU has landed and developed over the years who seem to "come out of nowhere" only to wind up being standout players for the Huskies in say a year or two. Mattox has that kind up upside and potential I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT