ADVERTISEMENT

ESL- The best in the state

Wait a second ... WTF with the little buddy stuff?

I was just saying, it's not just wills and divorces down there.
whoops! Sorry Crusader! The “little buddy” was meant for Tigerlilly. You know I’d never hurt you, baby.

Still, the ESL guys are arguing that teams are better because of names on teams and teams "look" better.

Other people are arguing the actual results of the games. Yes, some would say ESL "looks" much better than Neuqua, but on the field not so much. The ESL guys also thought NV "looked" better than everyone else when they needed them to be better to support the idea that they were the best team in state.

Now they need Trinity to look better since they don't have any games against Illinois teams. This is so transparent.
I like how you conveniently dodged my last comment. if margin of victory by NV and Batavia over GBN is proof that NV > Batavia. Then how is esl and naz margin of victory over Batavia not mean ESL = Naz. Or how esl and lwe margin of victory over NC not mean esl > Lwe. Im trying to follow your math

Those names seem to escape me.......

Why don’t you tell us all about em??
Some heavy hitters in Cook country law circles. But my mention of Rex and Bruce was that they were plaintiff counsel for the longest jury trial in US history and that took place in St. Clair County.

(As an aside, my Mom was a legal secretary for years down there - but did not work when we were kids. She did type court transcripts in our basement during that time, using the court reporter notes ... and she typed the Monsanto case for many many months.)

Reactions: Gene K. and Bowie50
Some heavy hitters in Cook country law circles. But my mention of Rex and Bruce was that they were plaintiff counsel for the longest jury trial in US history and that took place in St. Clair County.

(As an aside, my Mom was a legal secretary for years down there - but did not work when we were kids. She did type court transcripts in our basement during that time, using the court reporter notes ... and she typed the Monsanto case for many many months.)
Very cool story. Just did a little sleuthing.

If you are an attorney in Illinois and a trial lawyer you would at the very least heard of Dan Webb. Someone’s exposed...

Damn, still taking the bait! Of Winston & Strawn? As I said, I’d tear you to shreds in the courtroom.

My facts are rock solid. How much was Batavia trailing by most of the game?

It seems some people are discussing in bad faith using whatever argument makes their preferred team look better (not only in this thread) regardless of whether the data supports it.

So, what makes Batavia better than NV?

never said they were, just gave you facts on the NV game. Using separate games to conclude who’s better is pointless. I’m not interested in that debate.

I like how you conveniently dodged my last comment. if margin of victory by NV and Batavia over GBN is proof that NV > Batavia. Then how is esl and naz margin of victory over Batavia not mean ESL = Naz. Or how esl and lwe margin of victory over NC not mean esl > Lwe. Im trying to follow your math
No. The margin of victory over GBN by both NV and Batavia would be evidence that NV was better, not proof. The margin of loss to ESL by both teams would be another bit of evidence that NV is better, not proof. Proof would be if the two actually played each other. Another bit of evidence would be 8-1 vs 6-3. Etc.

The ESL and Naz scores against Batavia would be evidence that the two may be close, not proof.

The Minooka and ESL scores against Edwardsville is evidence that the teams may be close, not proof.

The ESL and LWE scores against NC is evidence that ESL may be better, not proof. I don't like using teams with losing records because at some point great teams and average teams can beat losing teams by similar margins. Look at the bottom of most conferences and check the scores. To be fair to NC, I don't think they were bad, but didn't at all live up to the hype.

The ESL and H-F scores against NV is evidence that H-F is better, not proof.

What I do is collect as much evidence as possible to come up with an opinion. The issue here though is you want to speculate. I think ESL could be on a level anywhere from NV to LWE. Problem is there are a lot of teams on that spectrum: Naz, MC, Warren, LWE, H-F, Minooka, Oswego, LA, GBW, BR, Marist, BB, HC, etc. But you want to be magically above all of them despite playing none of them while they all play each other.

It's too transparent. I love discussing football, but hate the Johnson measuring competition.

If the argument is "we have this many offers and we scored 60 on Chatham-Glenwood" then you have no argument.

Reactions: Bowie50
No. The margin of victory over GBN by both NV and Batavia would be evidence that NV was better, not proof. The margin of loss to ESL by both teams would be another bit of evidence that NV is better, not proof. Proof would be if the two actually played each other. Another bit of evidence would be 8-1 vs 6-3. Etc.

The ESL and Naz scores against Batavia would be evidence that the two may be close, not proof.

The Minooka and ESL scores against Edwardsville is evidence that the teams may be close, not proof.

The ESL and LWE scores against NC is evidence that ESL may be better, not proof. I don't like using teams with losing records because at some point great teams and average teams can beat losing teams by similar margins. Look at the bottom of most conferences and check the scores. To be fair to NC, I don't think they were bad, but didn't at all live up to the hype.

What I do is collect as much evidence as possible to come up with an opinion. The issue here though is you want to speculate. I think ESL could be on a level anywhere from NV to LWE. Problem is there are a lot of teams on that spectrum: Naz, MC, Warren, LWE, H-F, Minooka, Oswego, LA, GBW, BR, Marist, BB, HC, etc. But you want to be magically above all of them despite playing none of them while they all play each other.

It's too transparent. I love discussing football, but hate the Johnson measuring competition.

If the argument is "we have this many offers and we scored 60 on Chatham-Glenwood" then you have no argument.

which one of the teams you mentioned traveled 4 hours?

Naz and HF were home while ESL traveled 4.5 hours both games. Are you saying the comparison is apples to apples?

Last edited:
@Crispy Linnetta

Again please tell all of us what the hell a Crispy Linnetta is or what purpose it serves?

I have to admit this thread is really over achieving at 10 pages already. I wonder if Edgy is getting more private messages from Mt Carmel or East Saint Louis people...never mind I withdraw the question, everyone already knows the answer!

Motion to strike! I have no idea what that means, but have always wanted to say it. I thought I would use it for the first time in the midst of this battle of legal titans.

Reactions: mchsalumni

I may have used both evidence and proof synymously sp I'll rephrase... you were dismissive of the margin of victory over common opponent data point when it was evidence that esl was as good as naz or lwe, but found it to have some merit as evidence that nv was better than batavia.

I'm not trying to make the point that esl is better than any of those teams. I'm just objecting to the dismissive tone in some posts suggesting esl is worse than those teams.

credibility just went down the drain!
They’re not walking for 4 hours. They are kids, sitting on a bus and using their various devices (phones, iPad last, etc.) to entertain themselves. I’m sure it was very taxing.

What's the excuse for the 22 point win over Edwardsville?
Naz beat NND (8-3) and Benet (6-4) buy 21
lwe beat NC (4-5) by 21 and Stevenson (4-5) by 23
MC didn't win a single game by more than 21pts until the playoffs and they may very well be the best team in the state

Is esl the only team getting docked style points for "close" wins by 3+ scores

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerforFlyers
excuse?? ESL won.
So what's with all the talk about 4 hour trips?

Yes, ESL won. Slightly more impressive than Minooka.
Naz beat NND (8-3) and Benet (6-4) buy 21
lwe beat NC (4-5) by 21 and Stevenson (4-5) by 23

Is esl the only team getting docked style points for "close" wins by 3+ scores
I'm not proclaiming any team the hands down #1 team. The difference is all the other teams in the running have to prove it by beating the others on the field. Which of that bunch has ESL beat?

I'm not proclaiming any team the hands down #1 team. The difference is all the other teams in the running have to prove it by beating the others on the field. Which of that bunch has ESL beat?
If you think travel doesn’t play a part there is nothing to discuss.

Who have any of those other teams beat? ESL had more playoff points than all except MC. How about telling how and why any of the other teams are more superior?

ESL is not allowed to this year because the same disdain (possible envy) that SOME share towards ESL on this board is the same disdain/envy that their conference members share. Plain and simple.

Any one care to share there rationale on the conference voting against their playing up? We haven’t been able to figure it out.

But you guys have proven from your various formularies that their could be some interesting rationale for it. Seems like you guys would share similar thoughts as the general consensus of the SWC.

Last edited:
Reactions: jha618

They have beat everyone in front of them. And with the exception of NV, beat them all convincingly.

As to your point about esl schedule being soft, it graded out tougher than 2 of the 4 teams playing for the 7 and 8a titles.

You are really building a straw man argument here. No one is saying definitively that esl is the best team. We are responding to you who keeps trying to convince us they are not

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
They have beat everyone in front of them. And with the exception of NV, beat them all convincingly.

As to your point about esl schedule being soft, it graded out tougher than 2 of the 4 teams playing for the 7 and 8a titles.

You are really building a straw man argument here. No one is saying definitively that esl is the best team. We are responding to you who keeps trying to convince us they are not
So none. ESL has beat none of the teams in the running.

Thanks.

ESL is not allowed to this year because the same disdain (possible envy) that SOME share towards ESL on this board is the same disdain/envy that their conference members share. Plain and simple.

Any one care to share there rationale on the conference voting against their playing up? We haven’t been able to figure it out.

But you guys have proven from your various formularies that their could be some interesting rationale for it. Seems like you guys would share similar thoughts as the general consensus of the SWC.
So we should assume ESL would beat H-F based on what on field result?

So none. ESL has beat none of the teams in the running.

Thanks.
Lol so esl can't be the best since you have arbitrarily decided who the best teams are , even though none of your "best" teams have beat each other either. Got it.

Someone else pointed out esl had as many playoff points as any team other than mc. Their maxpreps sos puts them squarely in the middle of the 4 7 and 8a finalist.

Other than you repeating it, there is no objective data that says ESL's sos precludes them from being considered the best team in the state

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT