ADVERTISEMENT

ESCC Week 13 Predictions

ESCC fan

Nov 15, 2003
The conference just does not want to die as four teams move on to the semis. Has a conference ever had a semifinalist in 5A through 8A? As I said last week, quite the swan song for the ol' ESCC!

JCA - 42 Hillcrest - 24...The Hilltoppers are one of the hottest teams in the state. I think they move on--Sterling/Montini will be a fun on the other side of the bracket.

CG - 28 Notre Dame - 17...I think the Dons' defense keeps this one close for a while. Ultimately, CG's offense will be too much. The atmosphere in Niles was electric for the quarterfinal game--can't wait to experience it on Saturday.

Naz - 27 Batavia - 21...This one can go either way. I admittedly do not know a ton about Batavia but their resume speaks for itself. Simeon really gave Naz a run last week and I think Batavia puts up a similar fight--ultimately Naz's defense holds.

*GOTW* Marist - 24 BR - 22...Southside will be rocking. The next chapter of one of the best rivalries in the state going down as a semifinal. Both teams have had some impressive wins to get to this point. I think Marist avenges their only loss on the season and moves on to face the Beast.

Updated Playoff Standings (Week 10-12):

1. lkhammer57 (12-1) (lw: 4-0)
2. DigitalCy (11-2) (lw: 3-1)
2. ESCC fan (11-2) (lw: 4-0)
2. pjjp (11-2) (lw: 4-0)
3. PowerI66 (10-3) (lw: 2-2)
3. goomsback (10-3) (lw: 3-1)
4. JolietWest 89 (8-5) (lw: 1-3)

Week 11/Week 12:

1. Southland Fan 2016 (8-0)
1. lkhammer57 (8-0)
2. DigitalCy (7-1)
2. goomsback (7-1)
2. ESCC Fan (7-1)
2. pjjp (7-1)
2. ThunderPapa (7-1)
2. ChiCathLeagueFan (7-1)
2. Mr. T (7-1)
3. PowerI66 (6-2)
3. mchsalumni (6-2)
4. JolietWest 89 (4-4)

Reactions: Bowie50
Regarding the conference, very true ESCC fan. ESCC fever is running wild. Wassup has declared JCA the favorites in 5A. MC63 has acknowledged the existence of 5A/6A. Topiary is picking Marist in the big rematch. And mchsalum was seen heading down Ogden on his way to the Naz bookstore to pick up some Roadrunner apparel. :cool:

JCA over Hillcrest...the Hilltopper offense scored on 8 of 9 possessions against Highland. They have been rolling, but will be tested against a very good and very fast Hillcrest defense. I'm guessing they will pound the ball right at the speedy Hawk defense. They will need to limit the big plays on defense. Things have fallen very well for JCA. They will have their third home playoff game in a row after finishing 5-4.

C-G over ND....great run by the Dons. The concern here is their offense has not been putting up many points. Defensively, they have been very good, but they are facing a C-G offense that will put points on the board. Just don't see the Dons scoring enough to stay in it.

Naz over Batavia....both teams had stern tests in the quarters. Was surprised Willowbrook played Batavia as tough as they did. I like the Naz speed and big play potential in this matchup. Batavia is obviously battle-tested and experienced, but the game is at Naz. Speaking of which, I believe Batavia travels very well. I'd advise the Bulldog fans to get there early. Parking and visitor seating will be a challenge.

Marist over Rice.....the Southside Superbowl Part II. The atmosphere will be electric. I've always enjoyed the visitors' vantage point at Marist. Rice's defense is lights out. I give the edge to Marist's offense, though. It's always difficult to beat a good team twice, and Marist has the home field. It went down to the wire in Week 1. Have to believe it will be similar this time around. This is the best semi matchup in the state, IMO. One could argue it's one of the best semi matchups in a number of years with the intense rivalry between these two schools.

JCA 31-21
CG 38-21
Naz 31-28 (OT)
Marist 28-24(this game is a coin flip in my opinion)

JCA over Hillcrest, close game!
CG over ND. CG runs an offence like Iggy's and ND had problems with it. CG is the master of that offence. I would love to see ND win, but.
NAZ over Batavia. Naz's speed and being at home.
Marist over BR. Close game however it is hard to be a good team twice.

Reactions: Ajax217
Man, every game seems like close to a coin flip, so I'm gonna say 2 ESCC schools are playing for state Thanksgiving weekend and 2 more get to settle for dry turkey with their families.

I have no idea which will be which though!

Reactions: mchsalumni
Man, every game seems like close to a coin flip, so I'm gonna say 2 ESCC schools are playing for state Thanksgiving weekend and 2 more get to settle for dry turkey with their families.

I have no idea which will be which though!
ND is the big underdog. Four home games does help, though. This has been the ESCC's year. Current playoff record of 12-1. Not too shabby.

ND is the big underdog. Four home games does help, though. This has been the ESCC's year. Current playoff record of 12-1. Not too shabby.
Does ND have the bodies up front to stop the CG power run game?

Does ND have the bodies up front to stop the CG power run game?
ND has been difficult to figure, IMO. I thought they might have trouble at CL South in Round 2, since they seemed to struggle with JCA's run game in Week 9. They are very good defensively. Played Marist tough. I just think C-G is a machine right now, offensively. And not sure how healthy Gavin is yet, which seems to have limited ND's offensive output.

Awesome week of games!!

CG over ND- can’t see anyone stopping the Trojans this year. High powered offense that can score a lot of points. I can see ND keeping this close, but CG pulls away with the victory

JCA over Hillcrest-the ESCC makes teams playoff ready. This JCA squad is battle tested and is ready for anything 5A throws at them.

Naz over Batavia- man what a game this will be! An explosive offense in Nazareth against a mean nasty defense. I don’t see the Batavia DBs containing Love and Evans...

*GOTW* Marist over Brother Rice- this game will rock the southside! One team will end their season where it started. I do not see the Brother Rice defense stopping the explosive Markett and Thompson. Those two are a match made in heaven. I think Markett has the legs to take this team to Champaign, if I wanted one team to face the beast it's this Marist team.

Reactions: sidelinescotty
JCA over Hillcrest: While Hillcrest is a very good team, they haven't seen physicality that the Hill will bring. I actually see this getting a bit lopsided. JCA by 20+

CG over ND: With absolutely no disrespect to ND, Phillips level of athleticism is much higher than the Dons and CG pretty much stifled them. Don's play this close in the first half, but CG is a program built for November football and just grinding teams to a pulp. CG by 10-15

Naz over Batavia: A great matchup, but the book was written on how to beat Naz when Marist just lined up and punched them in the mouth. While this game will be much more closely contested than that game, I do think Batavia will try to mimic that style, BUT Naz responds for a hard fought win by 3.

BR over Marist: It's at Marist and it's going to be the best atmosphere in all of high school football this season. BR is going to use that to play "underdog" and win one of the great games played in this decade.

I want Marist to win. Not only because Jadon Thompson is my nephew. I do believe Marist have the better team. But I’m also going with LE because my nephew and AJ Hennings are best of friends. Would love to see both going at it next weekend. They have been on a few recruiting trips together

Awesome week of games!!

CG over ND- can’t see anyone stopping the Trojans this year. High powered offense that can score a lot of points. I can see ND keeping this close, but CG pulls away with the victory

JCA over Hillcrest-the ESCC makes teams playoff ready. This JCA squad is battle tested and is ready for anything 5A throws at them.

Naz over Batavia- man what a game this will be! An explosive offense in Nazareth against a mean nasty defense. I don’t see the Batavia DBs containing Love and Evans...

*GOTW* Marist over Brother Rice- this game will rock the southside! One team will end their season where it started. I do not see the Brother Rice defense stopping the explosive Markett and Thompson. Those two are a match made in heaven. I think Markett has the legs to take this team to Champaign, if I wanted one team to face the beast it's this Marist team.
I think that Brother Rice’s d-line led by Justin Jefferson will get to Markett and disrupt the pass game enough to force Marist to rely on the run, and that might be the deciding factor in who wins this rematch.

A lot hanging on this weeks picks, I'm starting to feel the heat. I almost forgot to do them again, and that killed my regular season record, can't make that mistake again :D

I have the ESCC going 2-2 this week.

Hillcrest over JCA - Best team hands down JCA has played the entire post season (as the semifinals should be) if it is true that the QB is back for Hillcrest I like them a lot. Their athleticism and talent I think ends up being too much for JCA. Hillcrest in a close one and it was great to see JCA getting back to their old selves, and I am excited to see their future

CG over Notre Dame- CG by 3 scores here. This CG team is impressive! That Naperville Central victory sticks out to me big time. ND had a nice run, granted I think they got a very lucky draw and haven't been tested too hard, but they won they games they were supposed to win so you have to respect that

Naz over Batavia - This one is going to be a tight one all the way through. Naz by 7

Marist over BR - The rematch on the southside! I wish I could be there for this game, the atmosphere should be second to none with the opponents being so close and how much rides on this game. I have Marist winning in a close one, it's hard to beat a team twice and Marist has been red hot!

Man the board is split on JCA this week. I think weather plays a factor and I think JCA wins this one.

Man the board is split on JCA this week. I think weather plays a factor and I think JCA wins this one.
Truly an intriguing game, JCA and Hillcrest. I was just looking at the Hillcrest schedule, their biggest test came all the way back in week one when they beat Rich Central 27-16. Since then, they have not been tested. I think JCA gets the nod in this one based on the gauntlet of a schedule that they have played, paired with the offensive weapons they possess in the running game. I think the physicality that the Hill has is something that Hillcrest is unfamiliar with based on their schedule. I see JCA winning this by 2 touchdowns....49-35ish

Reactions: Gene K.
Marist
Cary Grove
Naz
Hillcrest ( would love to see Montini vs JCA in an old school rivalry though)

Good luck to all of the teams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT