ADVERTISEMENT

ESCC Week 13 Predictions

ESCC fan

Nov 15, 2003
Debated even making the thread this week since it seems we have individual game threads at this stage of the playoffs. But figure it couldn't hurt. Two teams in the semifinals is definitely something to be proud of. Both of the remaining teams are underdogs this week (according to CalPreps, Benet is a 1 point dog and Naz is a 6 point dog).

My predictions:

Benet-24 Batavia-21...As I said last week, this Benet defense is well-disciplined and extremely tough to score on. I think they do just enough to move on to the championship. Either way, what a season for the Redwings.

Naz-31 Providence-20...I think this one can go either way. Naz needs to key in on Gavin in order to have a shot. I think their speed wins out in a really close one.

Congrats to both Benet and Naz for representing the ESCC this coming weekend

Benet over Batavia - I agree with everything ESCC fan said above regarding Benet's DEF. it will carry them to the 7A state title game.

Naz over Providence - all I know is this will be an awesome game to see "live" as both teams will score some points but in the end Naz squeaks it out to bring another ESCC team to the state finals.

Good luck to both teams.

Debated even making the thread this week since it seems we have individual game threads at this stage of the playoffs. But figure it couldn't hurt. Two teams in the semifinals is definitely something to be proud of. Both of the remaining teams are underdogs this week (according to CalPreps, Benet is a 1 point dog and Naz is a 6 point dog).

My predictions:

Benet-24 Batavia-21...As I said last week, this Benet defense is well-disciplined and extremely tough to score on. I think they do just enough to move on to the championship. Either way, what a season for the Redwings.

Naz-31 Providence-20...I think this one can go either way. Naz needs to key in on Gavin in order to have a shot. I think their speed wins out in a really close one.

No chance Benet is scoring 24 against Batavia unless it goes to OT. But could win a more lower scoring affair.

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
I see both of these games as being very close.

Batavia over Benet....definitely sets up as a low scoring affair between two excellent defenses. Whenever a game is low scoring, a few plays can decide the game. Benet got the big pass play last week to pull out the victory in New Lenox. Batavia forced 8 turnovers, but only scored 20 points against LWW. That's a crazy stat line. The game is in Lisle. The academic all-stars have a legit shot here. They need to find a way to generate some offense against a defense that only St. Charles North solved all year.

Provi over Naz...Naz' penchant for penalties gives me pause in this one, especially on the road. They were able to overcome it last week against SHG. They need to clean it up and play a cleaner game in New Lenox. Naz will have the speed advantage. They need to hit some big plays. They also need to limit RB Gavin and the Celtics' run game. The Provi QB is dangerous in the read option, as well. The formula for a Roadrunners win is to get up early and force Provi to throw the ball. If Naz does not beat itself (penalties/turnovers), they have good shot in this one.

Reactions: jtrailblazer7
LWC’s two weaknesses in my opinion were (and don’t get me wrong - they are a quality team - but every team has some areas that are not as strong as other areas of their game)

1. pass D. Teams that can pass effectively can get some big home run plays on them - Benet was able to hit a few big passing plays. I think Batavia pass D a little better than LWC’s. Maybe Benet doesn’t get “that one play” like they did in the LWC game.

2. Passing Offense. LWC did not have to pass much during the season but when they did or did have to - it wasn’t as effective as they probably wanted it to be. I know Batavia can attack thru the air. Batavia probably makes 2 or 3 passing plays that LWC did not.

Benets D probably gets the slight nod over Batavia’s and I think Benet has played the tougher Regular season schedule - it should be a low scoring game (not as low as Benet and LWC game) - but I think Batavia wins something like 20-17.

Naz/Provi - tough one. I don’t know either team very well. I will go with the speedier team (football speed? Track speed?) and take Naz in a nail biter. I know Naz is young and penalty prone but i will still pick them in a squeaker.

Benet/Batavia- Benet wins by more than expected...I must say the grit and grind of the Redwings is impressive! Much much different team than the one I saw in LGP week 6! Keep it rolling boys Benet 20 Batavia 7
Naz/Provi - from Board chatter and comments this one should be more lopsided than IC games...I don’t buy it. The Defense of Naz has no shot of stopping the run game, Hmmm? On offense I have seen the STL game- i see Naz being able to run he ball. Penalty concerns for the Roadrunners last week go away , unless @cornerrat brings the refs from Springfield with him to New Lenox (lol), but I think they get it done! Naz 28 Provi 17

Last edited:
Batavia over Benet- I have picked against Benet before and been wrong, but from everything I hear and read about this Batavia offense the more I like them, so tough one for me because Benet has made me wrong before but I'm sticking with my pick from my bracket of riding Batavia into the 7a state game

Provi over Naz- This one is REALLY tough for me! I have been a big fan of Naz all year and in my bracket I have Naz going to the state championship game, but I didn't expect this run from this Providence team. I really like Provi and I really like their CCL Blue schedule, so I am going to go Provi in a toss up.

Side note: Loyola handled Marist, Naz and Provi play this week, and there's a potential for a Mount Carmel vs Benet state final, is this week and next week the deciding factors for the CCL Blue vs ESCC debate? Might be stirring the pot here a little bit, but it makes for good entertainment ;)

Batavia forced 8 turnovers, but only scored 20 points against LWW. That's a crazy stat line.

At the game and this is due to two reasons:
- LWW D was great all year, especially against the run. Batavia abandoned the run in the 2nd half. The LWW D dominated the Batavia O for the first 23 minutes 11 seconds in the 1st half giving up 0 points.
- Batavia did not "force" many turnovers, LWW players, along with terrible offensive play calling, gave them to the Batavia D on a silver platter. LWW lost a fumble on a reverse, a INT on a flee flicker, and multiple INT on bombs thrown into a strong wind only down 4 in the 2nd half

That being said, in regards to this weeks game, If the Benet D is as good as advertised, they should win this game easily. The Batavia O had no answer for the LWW D and the Benet D seems at least as good, if not better. I saw LWW play LWC, who Benet just beat, and LWC was much better, in my opinion, then Batavia. If they can shut down LWC to 10 points, Batavia may not score in this game.

Benet 17 - Batavia 0

In the PC/Naz game I am picking with a bias. PC is from New Lenox and plays a tough CCL Blue schedule which has got them playoff ready and thus they have advanced farther than expected. I am still bitter over the Naz/LWW state final so I am hoping PC pulls this one off. If I wasn't so biased I think I might pick Naz in this one but since I am:

PC 31 - Naz 24

Badfrog,

Why still bitter over the Naz/LWW state title game in 2015?

- LWW D was great all year, especially against the run. Batavia abandoned the run in the 2nd half. The LWW D dominated the Batavia O for the first 23 minutes 11 seconds in the 1st half giving up 0 points.
- Batavia did not "force" many turnovers, LWW players, along with terrible offensive play calling, gave them to the Batavia D on a silver platter. LWW lost a fumble on a reverse, a INT on a flee flicker, and multiple INT on bombs thrown into a strong wind only down 4 in the 2nd half

That being said, in regards to this weeks game, If the Benet D is as good as advertised, they should win this game easily. The Batavia O had no answer for the LWW D and the Benet D seems at least as good, if not better. I saw LWW play LWC, who Benet just beat, and LWC was much better, in my opinion, then Batavia. If they can shut down LWC to 10 points, Batavia may not score in this game.

Benet 17 - Batavia 0

In the PC/Naz game I am picking with a bias. PC is from New Lenox and plays a tough CCL Blue schedule which has got them playoff ready and thus they have advanced farther than expected. I am still bitter over the Naz/LWW state final so I am hoping PC pulls this one off. If I wasn't so biased I think I might pick Naz in this one but since I am:

PC 31 - Naz 24

Benet 17 - Batavia 0

PC 31 - Naz 24

Benet will be the easiest D that Batavia has played against in a month so I don't see them being held to 0 points. Batavia is well coached and take their punches until they find your weakness. Benet could very well win but it won't be a shutout. No chance.

Batavia is well coached and take their punches until they find your weakness.

Falcon,

The above statement was definitely true in the LWW game. The Batavia coach made all the right adjustments on both sides of the ball. He adjusted the right side of the D after LWW hit that side hard in the 1Q and abandoned the run to go to the short pass game when the run game was not there. The Batavia coach never panicked like the LWW coaches seemed to. The Batavia coach made a huge difference in that game. I don't know anything about the Benet coach but I have heard good things coming from people I talked to that went to last weeks LWC game.

As far as the Benet defense being the easiest Batavia has faced in a month, I can only go by what the board is saying and they say it is really good. If it is, not overly impressed by the athletes on Batavia's O and I think they could get shut out. If the board is wrong, I will be wrong too.

I hope I am wrong as I have Batavia/LZ in the finals.

Last edited:
Falcon,

The above statement was definitely true in the LWW game. The Batavia coach made all the right adjustments on both sides of the ball. He adjusted the right side of the D after LWW hit that side hard in the 1Q and abandoned the run to go to the short pass game when the run game was not there. The Batavia coach never panicked like the LWW coaches seemed to. The Batavia coach made a huge difference in that game. I don't know anything about the Benet coach but I have heard good things coming from people I talked to that went to last weeks LWC game.

As far as the Benet defense being the easiest Batavia has faced in a month, I can only go by what the board is saying and they say it is really good. If it is, not overly impressed by the athletes on Batavia's O and I think they could get shut out. If the board is wrong, I will be wrong too.

I hope I am wrong as I have Batavia/LZ in the finals.
Yeah I agree that Batavia’s offense is not the best but their defense is good enough to keep them in the game till they can pinpoint your defensive weakness. Should be a great game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT