ADVERTISEMENT

Ending Conference Rivalries Due to Recent Dominance

Pretty cowardly thing to do. They dressed it up with some nice words but a very weak move nonetheless. I wouldn't let me kid near that JB program with a mentality like that

Ask the Mount Carmel Golden Aces about this. They have to play in the Big Eight, which is an Indiana High School Athletic Association conference. I believe, if I'm remembering correctly, is that they were kicking ass in the old North Egypt Conference and the league broke up to get rid of them, but reformed as the Little Illini without them.

Ask the Mount Carmel Golden Aces about this. They have to play in the Big Eight, which is an Indiana High School Athletic Association conference. I believe, if I'm remembering correctly, is that they were kicking ass in the old North Egypt Conference and the league broke up to get rid of them, but reformed as the Little Illini without them.
That's pretty much true..Bridgeport Red Hill, Lawrenceville left first I think, then Carmi, Fairfield, Flora, Olney, and Salem. Mt. Carmel is no longer in the Big 8 conference in Indiana, that fell apart with the announcement of the Districts that have now fell through. I think they will be independent in football this year. Only Olney, Lawrenceville, Red Hill went to the Little Illini. Fairfield and Carmi are in the Black Diamond, Salem went to the Apollo for a few years then ran from that and joined the Cahokia, and now the Cahokia is in doubt since Carlyle went 8 man this year. Trenton and Red Bud want out of the Cahokia now, but still playing 11 man ball.

Reactions: guerinfbfan
If you are going to be a transfer factory, find other transfer factories to play.

Reactions: ClownBaby
Didn't something similar happen to Naz in the old Private School League prior to Naz moving to the ESCC?

The short time frame for the turnaround is kind of surprising for the conference just to start ignoring them, although it is similar to the school in Baltimore that people are starting to compare to IMG.

The story reminds somewhat of the old Kankakee Valley Conference, which lost football when St. Anne gave it up after 1978, and sent the other 5 football schools scurrying for years (Herscher, Momence, Bishop McNamara, Peotone, Clifton Central). The conference ended up disbanding in the late 80's to get rid of Mac...the rest of the members formed the River Valley Conference with a bylaw that no private members can join. It was the final straw sending Mac to the Catholic League. But from the non-football schools, it made sense - since several of them hadn't beaten Mac in basketball or other sports for eons (Manteno's basketball losing streak was back to the 60's I believe; heck, Zinanni might have been a student at Mac the last time the Panthers beat the Irish in hoops). Logically, why stay in a conference where the larger private school is hammering you with kids from your town who are going there because you don't have football?

Ironically, when Manteno, Peotone & Herscher left the RVC for the I-8 in all sports in 2006, the RVC started taking private schools. Crete Illinois Lutheran has been a member since, and Kankakee Grace Christian joins in the fall...But I don't picture Mac being interested in the slightest...

The short time frame for the turnaround is kind of surprising for the conference just to start ignoring them, although it is similar to the school in Baltimore that people are starting to compare to IMG.

The story reminds somewhat of the old Kankakee Valley Conference, which lost football when St. Anne gave it up after 1978, and sent the other 5 football schools scurrying for years (Herscher, Momence, Bishop McNamara, Peotone, Clifton Central). The conference ended up disbanding in the late 80's to get rid of Mac...the rest of the members formed the River Valley Conference with a bylaw that no private members can join. It was the final straw sending Mac to the Catholic League. But from the non-football schools, it made sense - since several of them hadn't beaten Mac in basketball or other sports for eons (Manteno's basketball losing streak was back to the 60's I believe; heck, Zinanni might have been a student at Mac the last time the Panthers beat the Irish in hoops). Logically, why stay in a conference where the larger private school is hammering you with kids from your town who are going there because you don't have football?

Ironically, when Manteno, Peotone & Herscher left the RVC for the I-8 in all sports in 2006, the RVC started taking private schools. Crete Illinois Lutheran has been a member since, and Kankakee Grace Christian joins in the fall...But I don't picture Mac being interested in the slightest...

This is a private school conference. Ezekiel Elliot went to JB.

I researched to old Bi-State Catholic league - Althoff, Assumption and the STL Catholics were in it that conference in the 1970s.

Came across a piece about Assumption, that was converted into a prison (across from Big Mama's in ESL). My Uncle, was one of the brothers who taught there.

A tour through one of the dorm areas jogged the memory of grad Tim Krumm who said he had freshman and sophomore classes there. In those days, according to Krumm, students sat in the same room all day and their teachers moved from room to room teaching different subjects.

"Everything was regimented," Krumm said. "You went to your locker at 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. They didn't want you in the hall. And if you were in the hall, there was no talking. Otherwise one of the brothers would slap you in the head."

Another member of the tour muttered, "I can see Brother Middleton right now."

Assistant Warden of Operations Jeff Parker told Krumm that students, in some ways, had it harder than the prisoners. "We're not allowed to hit them," he said.

Reactions: Gene K.
If you are going to be a transfer factory, find other transfer factories to play.
It's a private school that can recruit. I could see if they were playing public schools who didnt have the benefit of recruiting. But every school in their conf is able to do the exact same thing LN did. Like someone else said, just 5 years ago it was JB who was dominating, and instead of putting their tails btw their legs, they went out and found someone who could win.

CBC gets their fingers dirty too ... they all do. It blew up at Trinity this year. Now the diaspora of talent will settle in elsewhere. Fall will tell if the winds blew eastward.

Lutheranism is not the only thing that sets the Crusaders apart from their league foes.

Always seemed the final straw for Mac was when some Mac students messed with the visitor bleachers and they collapsed during a Herscher game. I think we always supported them as we were competitive with them in all sports, but between the recruiting and a rivalry that was getting too intense, we decided it was time to step away..

It's a private school that can recruit. I could see if they were playing public schools who didnt have the benefit of recruiting. But every school in their conf is able to do the exact same thing LN did. Like someone else said, just 5 years ago it was JB who was dominating, and instead of putting their tails btw their legs, they went out and found someone who could win.

So the other schools should adopt a win at all costs mentality because one school has?

Reactions: mc140
So the other schools should adopt a win at all costs mentality because one school has?

I think the wrong picture is being painted here which is the issue. LN is a decent small private school however they are not that good to be removing them from the schedule. They are no where close to the St. Francis school in Baltimore. In the playoffs they beat a St. Louis public school 6-0. Yes, St. Louis public school is worse than CPS. There isn't a Phillips or Simeon running around in that league.

I think the wrong picture is being painted here which is the issue. LN is a decent small private school however they are not that good to be removing them from the schedule. They are no where close to the St. Francis school in Baltimore. In the playoffs they beat a St. Louis public school 6-0. Yes, St. Louis public school is worse than CPS. There isn't a Phillips or Simeon running around in that league.

It’s irrelevant if the private school that recruits for just winning championships beats the other schools in their conference with a beat down every year. Long story short the recruitment of players puts them on a different level it’s self serving for the school and players. The school wins championships and the players receive scholarships to colleges. How nice for them. :D

Depends on what you consider win at all costs? By most accounts coach Reed at LN is a stand up guy who develops quality young men.

My comment was with respect to recruiting and getting transfers. All those schools can do it. LN just does it better.

It’s irrelevant if the private school that recruits for just winning championships beats the other schools in their conference with a beat down every year. Long story short the recruitment of players puts them on a different level it’s self serving for the school and players. The school wins championships and the players receive scholarships to colleges. How nice for them. :D

The school that refuse to play has been in the championship game 3 times in the last decade. LN only appearance was this year.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
John Burroughs didn't mind blowouts when they had Ezekiel Elliott and played in (but lost) three state championship games.

Reactions: jha618
The school that refuse to play has been in the championship game 3 times in the last decade. LN only appearance was this year.

LN got tired of getting beat so they decided to go a different route and recruit players to reverse the trend. If that’s the case does that make it right? What about all the other schools in the conference? Did they refuse to play the recruiting school?

STL is no-man’s land. It’s open and accepted that there is recruiting.

CBC, JB, DeSmet, SLU-High ... the money schools ... “it’s-all-good-man.”

But Lordy, Lordy ... the lower economic-ranging schools - LN, Trinity, Saint Mary’s ... God forbid they beat the money (white) schools.

Plainly, that’s what this is.

The black kids have decided to play together instead of bolstering white rosters and they are kicking asses.

So the weak-ass money folks are taking their ball and going home.

Reactions: jha618
LN got tired of getting beat so they decided to go a different route and recruit players to reverse the trend. If that’s the case does that make it right? What about all the other schools in the conference? Did they refuse to play the recruiting school?

We don't know if they recruit or not. The four transfers that some point to were not recruited.
One player moved 70 miles east and Lutheran North was the closest Lutheran School.
One player transferred BACK to LN for his senior. He was there as a Freshman and Sophomore. Parents couldn't afford Junior year.
The other two transferred from vianney when their coach resigned. One was a senior and the other was a sophomore.

The issue is when a team can't beat you, they cry foul play. So was it recruiting for JB when they went to the championship 3 years in a row, beating LN by 40 plus points during the regular season? Why is okay for someone to make false claims? Why is it that easy for someone to become a defendant?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT