ADVERTISEMENT

Edgy - Richmond Burton

colin2229

Jul 23, 2005
Edge, curious your thoughts on RB vs 5A/6Chicagoland schools.

JCA, Lemont, Montini, Fenwick, St Francis, etc….

Edge, curious your thoughts on RB vs 5A/6Chicagoland schools.

JCA, Lemont, Montini, Fenwick, St Francis, etc….
Don’t know why lemont, fenwick, or Montini are thrown in there as they won’t be in 4A. Montini way down this year so I would hope RB would handle them. Fenwick is talented but when you lost to Providence, you’re not a world beater this year.

RB surely can be a player in 4A with Rochester, SHG, JC, or Francis. Of these, we know the most about JC, Rochester, and SHG because they all play top flight competition at some point throughout the season. St Francis has the same unknowns RB does in terms of playing a light schedule. Though their upcoming game against IC will be telling.

RB seemingly has only one test on their schedule all season in Sycamore. They more than passed. But I still don’t think we know if this is one of sycamores better teams or just a pretty good sycamore team.

on a tangent, if this is a legit great sycamore team then they could be 5A favorites.

But if this is not an exceptional sycamore team, then 5A could be full of surprised and RB will struggle to hang with those top 4A schools.

but until I see otherwise, I believe RB and St Francis are more than capable of winning 4A along with the other three mentioned who have a few more games against top competition.

Don’t know why lemont, fenwick, or Montini are thrown in there as they won’t be in 4A. Montini way down this year so I would hope RB would handle them. Fenwick is talented but when you lost to Providence, you’re not a world beater this year.

RB surely can be a player in 4A with Rochester, SHG, JC, or Francis. Of these, we know the most about JC, Rochester, and SHG because they all play top flight competition at some point throughout the season. St Francis has the same unknowns RB does in terms of playing a light schedule. Though their upcoming game against IC will be telling.

RB seemingly has only one test on their schedule all season in Sycamore. They more than passed. But I still don’t think we know if this is one of sycamores better teams or just a pretty good sycamore team.

on a tangent, if this is a legit great sycamore team then they could be 5A favorites.

But if this is not an exceptional sycamore team, then 5A could be full of surprised and RB will struggle to hang with those top 4A schools.

but until I see otherwise, I believe RB and St Francis are more than capable of winning 4A along with the other three mentioned who have a few more games against top competition.
I’d argue that SF has played a pretty solid schedule, granted it was forfeit related.

Was more of a question pertaining to edgy’s thoughts on RB after seeing them play rather than RB’s title chances.

much the same as A lot of us have always wondered how Rochester would fare against bigger Classes.

RB seems to be legit. I was just curious what Edgy thought against the type of
Schools I mentioned.

FWIW- Saw St Francis Friday night. Thought they were very good. McMillian is a STUD! Nice QB, RB and pass game.

Reactions: SiuCubFan8
Was more of a question pertaining to edgy’s thoughts on RB after seeing them play rather than RB’s title chances.

much the same as A lot of us have always wondered how Rochester would fare against bigger Classes.

RB seems to be legit. I was just curious what Edgy thought against the type of
Schools I mentioned.

FWIW- Saw St Francis Friday night. Thought they were very good. McMillian is a STUD! Nice QB, RB and pass game.

We saw what would happen with Rochester against LA. It was ugly! Like a HS team playing a middle school team. Not pretty and actually dangerous for the Rochester kids.

We saw what would happen with Rochester against LA. It was ugly! Like a HS team playing a middle school team. Not pretty and actually dangerous for the Rochester kids.
No one said anything about LA. Not what I’m talking about

C'mon. It was not dangerous for the Rochester kids.

C'mon. It was not dangerous for the Rochester kids.
Agreed. This is cherry picking one result. 2019 Rochester stays within 7 to 20 points of just about any 8A team.

8A CCL powers for years played 1A Leo or 3A Bishop Mac. LWE for years played Joliet Central. Just mismatches, as this Rochester-LA matchup was.

But every few years, the 4A champ can definitely hang with the 8A champ. It’s not often that they would win, but to think a team like 2019 Rochester ( I know they were 5A but they’re always a bubble team) couldn’t hang with the best in the state after throttling a pretty good Rita team is just wrong.

and is ESL excluded from all this? I know they are a natural 5A this year, but that’s not far from 4A. Would they be exempt from this guarantee of a safety issue if their enrollment would continue to drop?

I bet if you give Rochester a full week of preparation they would have fared much better. Probably wouldn't have won but it would have been a closer game.

It’s tough to jump on a bus for a three hour ride to play a great team with hardly any prep on three days notice. They wouldn’t beat LA with full week prep and scouting they play much better.

LA would have that same “scouting” as well to be fair.

This is true but I think the more talented team has a natural advantage if you just throw them out there to play without scouting. It may not win the game it probably slows them out of the gates.

Agreed. This is cherry picking one result. 2019 Rochester stays within 7 to 20 points of just about any 8A team.

8A CCL powers for years played 1A Leo or 3A Bishop Mac. LWE for years played Joliet Central. Just mismatches, as this Rochester-LA matchup was.

But every few years, the 4A champ can definitely hang with the 8A champ. It’s not often that they would win, but to think a team like 2019 Rochester ( I know they were 5A but they’re always a bubble team) couldn’t hang with the best in the state after throttling a pretty good Rita team is just wrong.

and is ESL excluded from all this? I know they are a natural 5A this year, but that’s not far from 4A. Would they be exempt from this guarantee of a safety issue if their enrollment would continue to drop?
Not a chance. You keep confusing public and private schools. Private enrollments dont matter. All that matters is that you got a good collection of players to enroll.

I do agree that mismatches happen. I hated seeing LWE/Brook playing Joliet Central. There was no reason at all for it. Not sure if it was a safety issue or not. I wouldnt rule it out though. Sometimes when teams are overmatched they get tee'd off on.

Last edited:
Not a chance. You keep confusing public and private schools. Private enrollments dont matter. All that matters is that you got a good collection of players to enroll.

I do agree that mismatches happen. I hated seeing LWE/Brook playing Joliet Central. There was no reason at all for it. Not sure if it was a safety issue or not. I wouldnt rule it out though. Sometimes when teams are overmatched they get tee'd off on.
I'm gonna disagree with you there Bones. In 2019 Rochester absolutely destroyed Rita 42-28 and it wasnt even that close. That same year LA beat Rita 24-7. I would say based on those two results that Rochester could stay with Loyola.

Reactions: JCHillmen
I'm gonna disagree with you there Bones. In 2019 Rochester absolutely destroyed Rita 42-28 and it wasnt even that close. That same year LA beat Rita 24-7. I would say based on those two results that Rochester could stay with Loyola.
I watched the demolition myself. Rochester had advantages in coaching and apparently speed against Rita that I don't think they have against that LA team. And that LA team barely got out of the 1st 2 rounds. I think the MS and GBW teams they beat also handle Rochester.

There is a reason public schools organize by size.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT