ADVERTISEMENT

Cyclones vs. Hilltoppers

penlight

May 29, 2001
Joliet
I will add more but wanted to initiate a discussion on the upcoming game and get away from the nonsensical debates on rankings.
I envision another battle of teams that first squared off in the 1975 4A Title game in just the 2nd year of the playoff system.
It should be a good one.

Last edited:
Looking forward to it. I expect a high scoring game, but sometimes things don't go as expected. SHG's offense will give the Hilltoppers many challenges. You can't key on any one receiver as I believe rocketnation mentioned in another thread. They have numerous threats and the Jr. QB is excellent. Was very impressed with SHG against Rochester in coming back after being down 25-7. Very resilient team that is extremely well coached. Both teams seem to be dealing with numerous injuries, but that's the way it goes at this time of year. It could come down to which defense is able to step up and get a few stops/turnovers.

Hopefully the two kids that got dinged up Saturday are able to play.
Depending on their status if the line up could be down 3 Defensive starters since the BR game,

I would give SHG a shot if they had a mobile QB but they don't this year. I don't see SHG getting stops on defense vs JCA. Therefore I got JCA.

Because I am somewhat of pack-rat, I was able to dig up some info on the series that Joliet Catholic leads 4-0.

1975 - 4A Championship played on the Saturday before Thanksgiving at ISU
The Cyclones score first to lead 7-0.
Hilltoppers scored the next 34 points and Cyclones scored late.
A 34-14 final in the first year that the Victory Light logo appeared on the sides of the Hilltopper helmets.

2000 -4A Quarterfinals in at Joliet Memorial Stadium
The 52-36 Hilltopper win was not secured until the final Hilltopper TD was scored with under 3 minutes left.

2003 -5A Championship played at The University of Illinois
The Hilltoppers jumped to a 10-0 lead after Q1, led 17-0 in Q3 and then the Cyclone offense caught fire and scored.
The Hilltoppers added one more TD to go up 24-7 before Springfield scored twice to cut the lead to 24-21 to close the scoring.

2011-5A Semifinals in at Joliet Memorial Stadium – The Pre-Game SHG Flag Planting Mistake
Over 9,000 spectators attended.
SHG was ranked #1 in 6A throughout the regular season, but got placed in the 5A playoffs. Aided by a strong North-to-South wind, the Cyclone Offense that had averaged 45 points per game was held in check and incomplete passes kept stopping the clock.
The Hilltoppers jumped to a 28-0 in the 1st Half and SHG’s only score came just before Halftime. The 3 Hilltopper TDs within a 2-minute span at the start of 3rd Quarter led to a 49-7 running clock victory.

What is in store for this year's matchup?

Last edited:
Looking at the starting lineups just posted today by IHSA and the one thing that stands out is the mammoth JC offensive line and backfield against the undersized SHG defense. In fact, SHG only has one d lineman at 220 and one LB at at 205 with the other 9 defensive starters all under 200.

Of course this doesn’t mean much of anything in terms of what each team is capable of, but it will certainly play into the schemes each team tries to employ. Rochester ran Rita off the field a few years ago and they had an undersized defense. Of course, Rochester had 3 DL in the mid 200s and Rita wasn’t nearly as big as this JC front, so it wasn’t quite as much of a size disparity. But they did have a few linebackers under 160 and they still had no real trouble containing a bigger Rita attack.

At the end of the day, a Leonard coached team will find a way to give their opponent fits. They have a history of entering the title game as an underdog and running a team like Montini who probably had more talent off the field. Should be a good one.

Looking at the starting lineups just posted today by IHSA and the one thing that stands out is the mammoth JC offensive line and backfield against the undersized SHG defense. In fact, SHG only has one d lineman at 220 and one LB at at 205 with the other 9 defensive starters all under 200.

Of course this doesn’t mean much of anything in terms of what each team is capable of, but it will certainly play into the schemes each team tries to employ. Rochester ran Rita off the field a few years ago and they had an undersized defense. Of course, Rochester had 3 DL in the mid 200s and Rita wasn’t nearly as big as this JC front, so it wasn’t quite as much of a size disparity. But they did have a few linebackers under 160 and they still had no real trouble containing a bigger Rita attack.

At the end of the day, a Leonard coached team will find a way to give their opponent fits. They have a history of entering the title game as an underdog and running a team like Montini who probably had more talent off the field. Should be a good one.

All.... The Catholic football scenario of David and Goliath. And in this version it doesn't appear favorable for David. (I know USD....) Ratsy

Last edited:
All.... The Catholic football scenario of David and Goliath. And in this version it doesn't appear favorable for David. (I know USD....) Ratsy
I don't know about that, jca's defense is pretty banged up, either way should be a good game!👍

But that SHG offense! Could be a shootout.

and i remember the prevailing opinion in, I believe, 2013 that SHG couldn’t hang with an Uber talented Montini squad. Then they went out and dominated from start to finish.

this could be a fantastic game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT