ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 3

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
After two weeks of non-conference games, division games start and will run through Week 7. That lowers the number of games this week to 6, all of which will be played Friday. Looks like rain is possible throughout Friday but the storms that influenced some of the Week 1 games should not return.

West Division
Jacksonville (2-0) at SHG (1-1)
The Crimsons rolled over Eisenhower last week 65-12, while the Cyclones beat Mascoutah 43-22. For Jacksonville to have a chance to stay close, they need to have some balance between running and passing. They only passed 5 times against Pittsfield in Week 1. The Cycs should go to 2-1. SHG 41 Jacksonville 17. Massey Prediction: SHG 42 Jacksonville 14.

Southeast (0-2) at QND (1-1)
QND is coming off a big 22-10 win against perennial 4A playoff team Richmond Burton. Southeast has big play ability but still commits too many penalties and also has turnover issues. The Spartans got way behind in the first half against Lincoln at home and lost 41-20. QND should win comfortably. QND 45 Southeast 12. Massey Prediction: QND 40 Southeast 7.

Springfield (2-0) at Lanphier (0-2)
Not really an away game for the Senators as both teams utilize Memorial Stadium. Lanphier has not scored yet this season and lost 44-0 to East Peoria last week. The Senators got a nice road win at MacArthur last week. Springfield should win big to go to 3-0. Springfield 49 Lanphier 0. Massey Prediction: Springfield 46 Lanphier 6.

East Division
Chatham (1-1) at Eisenhower (0-2)
Chatham came from behind last week on their Missouri road trip and won 35-31. It sounded like they had trouble stopping the run but got the passing attack going in the 2nd half. Eisenhower traveled to Jacksonville and got running clocked 65-12. Chatham should win easily. Chatham 55 Eisenhower 6. Massey Prediction: Chatham 47 Eisenhower 7.

MacArthur (1-1) at U High (1-1)
Tough losses for both teams last week. The Generals lost at their newly renovated stadium to Springfield 21-7. Mac is not known to be a great road team. U High's offense scored 38 against Bloomington but the defense gave up 41. U High needs a fast start and to not let Mac hang around. The longer the game is close, the better chance the Generals have to pull off an upset. I think the Pioneers do enough to go to 2-1 but this should be the best game of the week. U High 31 MacArthur 23. Massey Prediction: MacArthur 35 U High 28.

Rochester (1-1) at Lincoln (2-0)
Who will be QB1 for Rochester with Bryan Zulauf lost for the season? We'll find out Friday, but the most likely scenario is Junior Tanner Beal getting the majority of the snaps with Senior Eli Carlson getting some in short yardage or goal line situations. Lincoln shutout Lanphier in Week 1 and won by three scores last week against Southeast. The Rockets would like to see an improved running attack. Rochester 38 Lincoln 7. Massey Prediction: Rochester 42 Lincoln 6.

Last edited:
I'm all for it being a good game, I just don't know if after a 14 pt loss to SHS that I can give Mac a win over U-High either. Massey leaning heavy on those past results from 2023. This could easily be a 20 pt blowout for U-High though and I don't think it'd be all that shocking to many.

Jax with a chance to really shock the state on Friday though! Same goes for Lincoln! If there was ever a time to snag a rare W against the top 2 creams in the crop... this is the time.

Even in 2023, U-High dominated the majority of the MacArthur game, before giving up 2 late touchdowns. I’m hoping for a repeat and rebound for the Pioneers after the very disappointing showing last week.

Disappointing, maybe. But not a bad showing by the Pioneers in W2. A 3pt loss to Bloom isn't that bad.

They're entering a very telling stretch of their schedule. Mac, Lincoln, @ Rochester, Glenwood. Going to need to take care of business against Mac and Lincoln for a shot at 3rd in the East and a 6-win playoff bid.

Reactions: jthebro2
Well, I hope your prediction for a big Cyclone victory is correct, but I have to say this. I personally think this game is closer than 41-17. The Cyclones need to straighten out a few things, including figuring out who the center is and then making sure he doesn't snap the ball over the quarterback's head a few times in crucial situations. 2. Find someone, somehow to play running back besides one lone sophmore, who also happens to play defense and is a key part of it. Perhaps, make a decision on who the quarterback is, (personally I think it should be the sophmore) , then they could use the senior as a RB, which he is quite good at. And 3. better find the right combo on the D line and do a better job at stopping the run than they did last week, after the first quarter, or it could be WAY closer than what some folks might think. This is probably the youngest team I have seen them put on the field in a long, long, time. Maybe ever.

Well, I hope your prediction for a big Cyclone victory is correct, but I have to say this. I personally think this game is closer than 41-17. The Cyclones need to straighten out a few things, including figuring out who the center is and then making sure he doesn't snap the ball over the quarterback's head a few times in crucial situations. 2. Find someone, somehow to play running back besides one lone sophmore, who also happens to play defense and is a key part of it. Perhaps, make a decision on who the quarterback is, (personally I think it should be the sophmore) , then they could use the senior as a RB, which he is quite good at. And 3. better find the right combo on the D line and do a better job at stopping the run than they did last week, after the first quarter, or it could be WAY closer than what some folks might think. This is probably the youngest team I have seen them put on the field in a long, long, time. Maybe ever
The Jacksonville QB has thrown 10 passes through two games. I would expect the SHG defense to crowd the line of scrimmage and dare the Crimsons to throw it.

Rochester had snap issues as well last week, mostly due I think to the in-game switch to the 6'4" Beal after the 5'8" Zulauf was injured.

The Rockets have started two Sophomores on offense in Weeks 1 and 2 and that could increase to three this week if they get an injured player back.

Reactions: cigaros
The Jacksonville QB has thrown 10 passes through two games. I would expect the SHG defense to crowd the line of scrimmage and dare the Crimsons to throw it.

Rochester had snap issues as well last week, mostly due I think to the in-game switch to the 6'4" Beal after the 5'8" Zulauf was injured.

The Rockets have started two Sophomores on offense in Weeks 1 and 2 and that could increase to three this week if they get an injured player back.
Lincoln, just like last year, has an easy start to their season. Lincoln could not clock a Lanphier team which lost its head coach two weeks prior to the season opener and allowed 20 to a low football IQ Southeast squad. Even with QB1 out, the Rochester offense has Beal, Carlson, Leonard, and the super freshman QB ready to navigate the Leonard playbook. I will be surprised if this doesn't have a running clock. That said, their running back #11, runs incredibly hard. But that was against a Southeast team which looked like it was trying to tackle diarrhea. The Rocket defense kept last week's game within reach

Lincoln, just like last year, has an easy start to their season. Lincoln could not clock a Lanphier team which lost its head coach two weeks prior to the season opener and allowed 20 to a low football IQ Southeast squad. Even with QB1 out, the Rochester offense has Beal, Carlson, Leonard, and the super freshman QB ready to navigate the Leonard playbook. I will be surprised if this doesn't have a running clock. That said, their running back #11, runs incredibly hard. But that was against a Southeast team which looked like it was trying to tackle diarrhea. The Rocket defense kept last week's game within reach
Taking nothing away from Lincoln but they are starting a lineman at QB which can only work if they ran the Power-I offense where he could be a lead blocker or power runner. We took our two tackles from the previous year and made then a Fullback and Tailback which worked out well for us for two years. In the CS8 you need a real QB to have a chance. I'm pulling for the kid and hope he does well.

Disappointing, maybe. But not a bad showing by the Pioneers in W2. A 3pt loss to Bloom isn't that bad.

They're entering a very telling stretch of their schedule. Mac, Lincoln, @ Rochester, Glenwood. Going to need to take care of business against Mac and Lincoln for a shot at 3rd in the East and a 6-win playoff bid.
That’s true, I just expected them to excel so much more with only losing 4 starters. But I do think that the ones they lost were important and it’s seen on the field. All 4 starters they lost from 2024 are playing college ball now, at Gallaudet, Missouri Southern, Texas Wesleyan, and Wabash. And at the very least the leadership from ‘24 is definitely being missed on and off the field.

All.... Been watching the weather closely since Sunday morning. It's changed several times from bad to worse and presently for Friday precip in the morning, cloudy with a chance of rain in the evening for the Springfield and surrounding areas.

I mention this only because this particular system is a bit different and has the potential to dump inches of rain and high winds. It has shifted but that doesn't mean it can't change once again and head this way.

Like those turf fields. Regardless even light rain has a way of making games interesting. We will see. Ratsy

Last edited:
Taking nothing away from Lincoln but they are starting a lineman at QB which can only work if they ran the Power-I offense where he could be a lead blocker or power runner. We took our two tackles from the previous year and made then a Fullback and Tailback which worked out well for us for two years. In the CS8 you need a real QB to have a chance. I'm pulling for the kid and hope he does well.
He also (#17) plays MLB. At least against SE he played the entire game until the last couple drives at inside linebacker.

Second nod to #11 for the Railers. Kid runs angry.

All.... Been watching the weather closely since Sunday morning. It's changed several times from bad to worse and presently for Friday precip in the morning, cloudy with a chance of rain in the evening for the Springfield and surrounding areas.

I mention this only because this particular system is a bit different and has the potential to dump inches of rain and high winds. It has shifted but that doesn't mean it can't change once again and head this way.

Like those turf fields. Regardless even light rain has a way of making games interesting. We will see. Ratsy
Rainy in Decatur, Ike plays on grass
If rainy in Lincoln, they also play on grass.

The other 4 are on turf.

Quincy showing no rain for the day in the forecast.
High 76, Low 64, cloudy, winds SSE 5-10mph.
Literal perfection

The Sports Radio 1450 predictions are in. They have chosen:
SHG (3-0)
QND (3-0)
Springfield (3-0)
Chatham (3-0)
U High (3-0)
Rochester (3-0)

SJR Staff Predictions (Minus U High vs MacArthur)
SHG 49 Jacksonville 14
QND 40 Southeast 12
Springfield 56 Lanphier 7
Chatham 60 Eisenhower 6
Rochester 52 Lincoln 6

I think SHG/Jax stays much closer than 35 pt spread.
No clue for QND/SE... SE will likely put up their obligatory 20pts. Hopefully QND outscores them.
SHS rolls Lanphier
Chatham rolls Ike
Rochester/Lincoln should be much closer. Railers will get outcoached, but don't they all in the end against DL? Rochester pulls away late, I'll give them an 18 pts cushion.
U-High rolls Mac

1450's premium page has updated stats for most of the CS8 teams. I noticed that Chatham WR Blake Lehnen has zero catches after 2 weeks. Has anyone heard if he's injured?

I have to say this... Williamsville O line is friggin big but soft AF. Byron is smaller but kicking the horse piss out of Wville's lines.

Reactions: cigaros
Finals
SHG 35 Jacksonville 10. SHG trailed 10-7 at half and then dominated the 2nd half winning comfortably.

Rochester 63 Lincoln 7. Mason Jacobs had 4 receiving TD's, 2 each from Tanner Beal and Eli Carlson. Shout out to Lincoln FB Paytan Bunner who runs hard every time he gets the ball. Derek Leonard's 200th career win.

Chatham 56 Eisenhower 14.

U High 48 MacArthur 7. Great bounce back win for U High and a 2nd larger than expected loss by Mac.

Springfield 51 Lanphier 12. Glad Lanphier scored after two straight shutouts.

QND 43 Southeast 0. QND continues to impress.

Last edited:
Finals
SHG 35 Jacksonville 10. SHG trailed 10-7 at half and then dominated the 2nd half winning comfortably.

Rochester 63 Lincoln 7. Mason Jacobs had 4 receiving TD's, 2 each from Tanner Beal and Eli Carlson. Shout out to Lincoln FB Paytan Bunner who runs hard every time he gets the ball.

Chatham 56 Eisenhower 14.

U High 48 MacArthur 7. Great bounce back win for U High and a 2nd larger than expected loss by Mac.

Springfield 51 Lanphier 12. Glad Lanphier scored after two straight shutouts.

Not Final
QND 43 Southeast 0 (4th). QND continues to impress.
All... Nice win for the Cycs that worked for three straight weeks putting the puzzle peaces together. Love that kicker.... Ratsy

Last edited:
Yes. SJR story says a Freshman FB gained 175 yards and scored 2 TD's. Sounds like it was a relatively close game for 2 quarters (14-3) and then Byron had it all their way in the 2nd half.
#45 a Fresh was taking chunks left right and up the middle. Caden Considine is out with an injury for this game. Next season Byron will average 600 rushing a game.

#45 a Fresh was taking chunks left right and up the middle. Caden Considine is out with an injury for this game. Next season Byron will average 600 rushing a game.
Keep forgetting Considine is only a junior. Any chance he ends up going anywhere other than Iowa?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT