ADVERTISEMENT

CPL Pick Em' Big Shoulders (RIP) Edition!

GhostOfTheGhhost

May 14, 2018
Grabbed some frosty adult beverages with a buddy the other day at Chill's at Central and Grand. It's practically across the street from Hansen stadium, which got me all revved up thinking about CPL Big Shoulders conference football. For those of you not in the know, the Big Shoulders was made up of a handful of NW Side schools that, for a good bit, had no interest in playing the big boys in the CPL. It was crazy. CPL has promotion and relegation... Win the Big Shoulders, get promoted to the Redbird, then either get pummeled and say, "we just can't compete," or simply deny the promotion to the upper tier conference. Best part for me was I lived right around the corner from the Windsor Tavern, where all of the Big Shoulders coaches would hang out and talk about how they were getting over on the rest of the CPL. Generally, they were pretty boring, but because they played early games on Thursday, they would get to the bar early and start throwing cash around. While I miss those days, my liver certainly doesn't. Big Shoulders for life! ON TO THE PICKS!

Lincoln Park vs Clark
Lincoln Park was always the Big Shoulders team that was always on the cusp of promotion. They would win a bunch of games, then lose by 40 to Taft. A few years ago, Clark was all fired up, won a bunch of games, then lost to Taft by 40. I remember both games, not because of the football, but because in the LP v Taft Game, the roof collapsed on the guy next to me in the Lane Stadium bathroom, and before the Clark v Taft game, a random guy bought me breakfast at the Steak n Egger across from Rockne.
TAFT!

Steinmetz vs Little Village
Steinmetz is the alma mater of Hugh Hefner. Little Village is home to some of the best Mexican restaurants in the city. I'm not sure either of those things are relevant, but I am hungry...
Little Village People!

Schurz vs Von Steuben
There is an "athletic field" that was built a few years ago next to Schurz high school on Milwaukee. This construction closed a street to make a full field. Before that, Schurz would host JV football and soccer games on a short (70 yard ish...) field that was shaped like a trapezoid due to the street. It was truly one of the most CPL of CPL things. It was also Big Shoulders to the core.
Schurzly it doesn't matter how good Von is!

Senn vs Mather
If there is one thing you need to remember around here, it's that you never, EVER, pick against the Senn Bulldogs. The true kings of the Big Shoulders!
DAWGS!

Taft vs Amundsen
Full disclosure. I saw this game was at 12pm on a Saturday and got stoked. Another beautiful Saturday in Winnemac Park with the lulu lemon and Pumpkin Spice Latte baby stroller brigade. Roll over to Lincoln Square afterward for a few pops watching college football. That, my friends, is just about a perfect Saturday in the city. Imagine how distraught I was when I found out this game is at Taft. Taft? Didn't they get lights a few years ago? Don't they regularly pack that little stadium on Friday nights? What gives? The baby stroller scene in Norwood Park doesn't hold a candle to Winnemac. This is a straight Travesty. In protest, I'm going straight to the HarHig and passing the game altogether. You can bet there will be some old school Big Shoulders coaches in there talking about the good ol' days and throwing around that CPS Pension Money!

• Haha
Reactions: forlouann and k1867
I used to call the Big Shoulders the Puerto Rican conference. It was the successor in part to the CPL North (Taft, Schurz, Steinmetz, and Clemente minus Lane and WY) and CPL Northeast (Mather, LP, Senn)

Reactions: crazylegs777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT