ADVERTISEMENT

CS 8 Predictions Week 3 Leonard Bowl

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
Right now, it looks like 3 Friday night contests, 1 probable forfeit, and 1 Saturday afternoon game. Three of the games should be pretty competitive.

Southeast (1-1) at MacArthur (1-1)
Barring a last minute change, Mac will forfeit for the 2nd week in a row due to COVID. This hurts their playoff chances as they would have been heavy favorites at home against Southeast. Apparently, Southeast has had no luck in getting a replacement opponent. If they do get one, I will provide an updated prediction. Southeast forfeit win

U High (0-2) at Lanphier (0-2)
U High is giving up over 40 points a game, while Lanphier is giving up over 60. U High did compete for a half last week against Jacksonville before losing by 3 TD’s. Lanphier lost at least 4 fumbles last week and gave up one big play after another on defense. They do have one RB with speed and power, and he had some nice plays against Springfield. U High gets some revenge for losing at home in the spring season. U High 34 Lanphier 23

Chatham (1-1) at Jacksonville (1-1)
Had this been Week 1, I would have picked Jacksonville. Chatham has been more impressive so far through 2 games. They have a new QB who can throw and the offense has adapted to his strengths. No more read option first like with Luke Lehnen and Jake Burris. Jacksonville has played ok and got a win on the road last week against U High. They have a chance, particularly if QB Owens has a career game. Chatham also has a history of beating Jacksonville. Think it will be close but Chatham wins. Chatham 37 Jacksonville 28

SHG (2-0) at Rochester (1-1) Leonard Bowl
I don’t have a good read yet on this SHG team. They have blown out 2 of the perennial bottom 4 teams in the CS 8. SHG has a new QB, new RB’s, and a mostly new OL. They have won at Rochester before, although the Rockets have won the last 3 times at home. Rochester was mauled by Loyola last week and surely remembers the 52-33 manhandling by the Cyclones in the spring. This is a chance for the Rockets to rebound from last week at home, where they haven’t lost since 2015. The last team to beat them at home was SHG. Rochester needs to start strong and not relax if they get an early lead. Hank Beatty should make enough plays to get the Rockets a win. Rochester 38 SHG 25

Eisenhower (0-2) at Springfield (2-0) Saturday
This should be an easy win for the Senators, even though they have 4 players sitting out who were ejected from the Lanphier game last week. Springfield Coach Roy Gully has said he will not coach the game in protest of the IHSA not considering their appeal on the ejections. Regardless, Rashad Rochelle will have another big game, and the Senators should get a running clock. Springfield 53 Eisenhower 7

This will be the 1st Leonard Bowl I’ve missed since 2012. I will be out of town. Any post game comments from me will be based mostly on the highlights from Sports Radio 1450. Maybe Ratsy can provide some additional post game analysis, as someone who will be at the game.

All.... hoist by your own petard. But it is Eisenhower. Ratsy

All.... hoist by your own petard. But it is Eisenhower. Ratsy

According to WICS, Coach Gully has upped the ante. He doesn’t feel that District 186 admin is backing him and that could force him to look for other opportunities. With SHG and Rochester coming up in weeks 4 and 5, does Springfield need this distraction?

All.... No they do not. A couple of calls this morning on the radio 1450AM. Both had divided opinions from their respective opposing schools. I believe channel 20 has video. The stat gent from Lanphier that has called in twice says the video is obvious. When it broke out it was a change of possession. I believe four SHS players were kicked out. Coach Gully says it was change of possession and the players were coming out on the field as they are supposed to do. Stat guy said again this morning the players ran toward the scuffle. Thus the ejection. Not sure out of the Senators involved how many came out onto the field.

One would think pushing the D186 admin in this way is not the road to go down. No one is irreplaceable. Ratsy

Reactions: rocketnation
I'm pretty stunned that so far I'm about the only one who has mentioned the potential of injuries to be a possible factor against Rochester....I saw at least 3-4 kids go out injured and a few looked relatively serious....including a few linemen. Sure hope I'm wrong here for Rochester sake...

Reactions: Gene K.
I'm pretty stunned that so far I'm about the only one who has mentioned the potential of injuries to be a possible factor against Rochester....I saw at least 3-4 kids go out injured and a few looked relatively serious....including a few linemen. Sure hope I'm wrong here for Rochester sake...
Interesting. My feedback from someone who was there and talked to Derek afterwards was that the lone bright spot was that no one was seriously hurt. But I was not at the game to see first hand.

According to the Bloomington Pantagraph, U High gets a COVID forfeit win over Lanphier. U High now 1-2 and Lanphier 0-3.

All.... Cyclones let one get away from them. Move on..... Ratsy P.S. I imagine practices are going to be really long and intense next week.

Last edited:
2 really close games tonight that came down to the last minute.

Rochester 45 SHG 41
Chatham 35 Jacksonville 28

I will have more on both games Sunday.

Reactions: Cross Bones
All.... It's early for projections but I have got the Rockets going 4A when the playoffs start. A postseason rematch between these two would be great to happen. Ratsy

Last edited:
All.... No game for the Lions next week as well. They were scheduled to play Jacksonville. Ratsy

All.... Cyclones let one get away from them. Move on..... Ratsy P.S. I imagine practices are going to be really long and intense next week.

Over/under on points scored next week in SHG vs Springfield, could it top the 86 from last night’s Leonard Bowl? Think I’ll come to Ken Leonard Stadium instead of making the trek over to Decatur.

These Leonards pivot from accepting losses to blaming the IHSA for any and everything as a reflex.

Over/under on points scored next week in SHG vs Springfield, could it top the 86 from last night’s Leonard Bowl? Think I’ll come to Ken Leonard Stadium instead of making the trek over to Decatur.

All.... If the Cyclones have learned to tackle by then that sounds high. (lol) SHG's first two games did not help them. 40 or 50 by the first half and you keep your starters in the town and SHG haters start yelling you are piling on. The team has not played a lot of real time minutes and it showed last night. With less than a handful of starters back, and some kids they got from the basketball team playing on the line (I believe I saw that on an early video on channel 1450) it's going to take a bit of time. One thing I did get out of the game is the Cyclone offense is going to score lots of points on anyone. They will improve like always every week and now have a script on what needs to be done. Unfortunately the first two games of the year couldn't show that because of the lack of competition. SHG is going to be a handful against those 4A postseason teams. Speaking of SHS I heard they won today 57-13. Ratsy

Last edited:
Chatham got a nice road win by scoring in the last 2 minutes to beat Jacksonville. They continue to have a balanced running and passing attack. Chatham has always been good at getting their Tight End behind coverage after several running plays in a row. They did this several times Friday for big gains. Tough loss for Jacksonville. This was a chance to get a big win towards playoff eligibility, and they came up just short.

Rochester and SHG. I only saw highlights of the first half, was able to watch the second half on Rocket tv. This was an exciting and hard fought game, with both defenses struggling. SHG positives were their QB play. Lott throws very well and can run. They have 3-4 nice receivers, though Singleton and Hamilton did the most damage. Rough, rough night for Rochester DB’s. Their young OL did a pretty good job of protecting Lott. SHG negatives were their DL and LB’s were mostly controlled by the Rochester OL, the kicking game was off which is unusual for SHG, and it’s clear they are not nearly as big and physical as the spring team. Overall though, it was a great effort by the Cyclones.

For Rochester, the positives were the OL effort, which led to almost 400 yards rushing, the kicking of Zoe Cormier who continues to impress, and Hank Beatty’s refuse to lose attitude particularly on the final drive. The negatives were as said above a brutal night for the DB’s who could do little against Singleton and Hamilton, sloppy plays like several bad snaps, a blocked punt, and fumble all that happened within a few minutes, and a lack of a passing game. I think Rochester completed 1 pass in the 2nd half. Hank had time to throw but SHG had good coverage and deflected several. This was a much needed win to avoid going 1-2 and Rochester pulled it out, even with Hank on the sidelines for the last Rochester TD.

Last edited:
All.... It's early for projections but I have got the Rockets going 4A when the playoffs start. A postseason rematch between these two would be great to happen. Ratsy
As of today's "Playoff Outlook" on IHSA site, you are correct.

As of today's "Playoff Outlook" on IHSA site, you are correct.
All.... I was looking at that last night. There will be significant movement up and down among the eight classes over the next several weeks as teams are eliminated from postseason play. Bubble teams ( defined as those that could change in class due to their enrollment) of course can be effected depending upon the breakdown of the 32 qualifiers assigned in those eight classes.

It's really early and this is the first playoff outlook up at the Ihsa. I found it amusing SHG at 607.00 was the smallest team listed in 4A and JCA (616.50) 5th smallest. It won't happen but Class 3A better start watching numbers.... Just kidding. Ratsy

Reactions: cigaros
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT