ADVERTISEMENT

CPL Pick’Em Week 11

Schwab54

Nov 13, 2016
We have a small CPL slate of games so we’ll touch them all. Starting with the state playoff games!

Phillips vs Normal
I’ve seen Normal play once and it was probably 4 years ago. This should be a good one. Phillips pulled off a hell of a win last week. While I do believe this Phillips team lacks the star power of years past it is still a tough out. Ultimately I believe the fact that this game will be played on turf, plus the long hike for Normal will be the difference.
Phillips 22 Normal 7

Simeon vs Prairie Ridge
Simeon is the best team in the city. Similar to Phillips while Simeon lacks an Alante Brown and a Rashaan Palmer this year I think they may be a little tougher on the line this season. I originally gave this game to Prairie Ridge, the loss of Carter Evans gives me second thoughts. My biggest concern is potentially a sloppy grass field at PR which would favor PR. This game should resemble the Phillips vs PR game from last year. While the grass field gives me pause I’ve got to back the city. BLUE AND GOLD!!
Simeon 27 Prairie Ridge 21

Kenwood vs Deerfield
Haven’t seen much of Deerfield in a long time. Caught one Kenwood game this year. Was planning on catching the week 9 Kenwood vs Payton game but well we know what happened there…Ultimately this is a matchup of 2 completely different teams. Deerfield is a wing T and option based team, while kenwood will try to overwhelm them with their speed. Kenwood is improving dramatically and at a quick pace, but think they still are a year away.
Deerfield 24 Kenwood 7

Down to the 3 first round games of the city playoffs. Going forward I will include the Catholic League playoff matchups. I planned on including the St Pats vs Marian game but didn’t realize it was a Thursday game.

Morgan Park vs Perspectives
After finishing in 5th place in the conference last year Chris James led MoPo to a great turnaround finishing 2nd in the conference. Perspectives missed the city playoffs last year finishing last in conference play I believe. Ultimately Morgan Park is better and Chris James will be anxious to keep up with his 7 on 7 partner and #horsepower.
Morgan Park 46 Perspectives 12

Taft vs Al Raby
Taft finished 2nd in conference play last year and won the City Championship. Raby finished 3rd in conference play last year, falling to Curie in a tight opening round city matchup. Raby after making it to the quarter or semi finals of state a few years back seems to have taken a step back. Haven’t seen much of Taft this season. I do know William Howard Taft got stuck in a bathtub. So seems like they should have an advantage in the trenches.
Taft 47 Raby 6

Curie vs Lincoln Park
This should be the top matchup of the first round of city. Both teams finished 3rd on their side of the conference and qualified for the state playoffs. Defensively Curie holds the advantage in the secondary and at the DE spots. I do think LP is a little stronger on the interior DL and has a more athletic LB group. Offensively Curie has an advantage at most spots, specifically the OL and QB. Ultimately that gives them the advantage tonight I think, though the frigid conditions does bring this game a little closer to LP.
Curie 20 Lincoln Park 7

I was sweating not having CPL Pick 'em this week. Thank God the MAC plays on Tuesday and Wednesday...keeps me from thinking about how sad I am that there is no Thursday afternoon CPL action until next fall...
On to the picks:

Phillips vs Normal
D Coordinator from Phillips rocks a grill like no other DC in the state. That's all you need to know about this one. Take Phillips.

Simeon vs Prairie Ridge
Simeon's mascot is the Wolverine. Prairie Ridge's mascot is the Prairie Dog. (Actually, I have no idea what the PR mascot is, but I do feel like it is a huge miss by PR if it's not the mascot.) In a mascot fight, I take the Wolverine. In a football game I take the Dawgz of Prairie Ridge!

Kenwood vs Deerfield
Kenwood has two things going against it in this one. First, I football is played on a field, not in the woods. Advantage Deerfield. Second, my old neighbor's name is Ken. That dude ate roadkill and buried his trashbags in his back yard. Sorry Kenwood, too much baggage in the name. Deerfield with the win.

Morgan Park vs Perspectives
My feeling is this should be a Fenger vs. Harlan matchup....on a Thursday...at 3:15. Unfortunately, it is not. If I have to go with one, take MP in a rip off of those awful large-numbered Oregon jerseys.

Taft vs Al Raby
If this was Taft vs. Al Bundy, I'd be all over Bundy. After all, Bundy scored 4 touchdowns in a game for Polk High in the City Championship vs. Andrew Johnson High. Especially solid pick, since it was always implied that Married with Children took place in Chicago. Unfortunately, for Raby, they aren't Polk High, and they don't have Al Bundy. Take Taft.

Curie vs Lincoln Park
Madame Curie won the Nobel Prize TWICE. Lincoln Park won't cross midfield ONCE. Pick Curie.

Reactions: Schwab54
So glad to have these few weeks left. Getting straight to it this week...

Normal Phillips - What's normal about Phillips? State runs, questionable transfers, pressure D, regular season at Mandrake and the playoffs at Gately. Normal gets unlucky having to travel, if they're at home they over water that turf and win a mucked up mess of a game. Clean turf, home cooking (Gately dogs and officiating) Go Phillips.

Simeon PR - Wolverines against the Wolves? Adamantium is the stuff of serious super powers. Now if PR was the Dire Wolves maybe they could stand the fight, but with Evans out there's nothing mystical about them. Go Simeon.

Kenwood Deerfield - Mustangs and HorsePower against the Warriors, and if my childhood taught me anything, Warriors come out and plaaaaaaaaaaaay! Go Deerfield.

Morgan Park Perspectives - If the post season teaches us anything its that the hyphen has significant strength. Morgan Park is only one school, but Perspectives has a bunch of campuses. Power in numbers, Go Perspectives in the upset.

Taft Raby - Eagles Raiders, President SC Justice, Social Activist trusted MLK advisor. 2 incredibly dignified, honorable, men. 2 powerful mascots. 2 close to call? No way, Raby wasn't even .500. Go Eagles

Curie LP - Condors Lions, When I go to the zoo I love looking at the lions, truly magnificent beasts. I hate going by the birds of prey exhibit, even the birds don't look interested being there. Go Lions

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT