ADVERTISEMENT

Corrected:: Class 8A thru 1A IHSA Proposed Districts

I got questions...

Why are they 70 schools in 8A and 68 in classes 1A-5A?
How is St. Iggy, Notre dame and Pats just 6A schools?
How does Dundee-Crown, which is North of both Huntley and Jacobs, not play in the Northern-most district in 8A?
Doesn't every Catholic League team want to be St. Rita or Mt. Carmel?
Do you think alot of AD's or principals that are looking to change their vote?
How easy will it be for Phillips?

Just a few for starters.

Both schools could play their freshman teams and win those districts and you would have no real test for your team until the playoffs. I would hope both programs would want a much better schedule than this would provide. Nazareth would also moonwalk to district titles year after year.

Reactions: AlwaysABulldog
WHAT A F'ING JOKE- Seriously all the private schools should bail on the IHSA.
The fact that LWE has Belleville East, OFallon and Edwardsville on their schedule is also a f'ing joke. Nice travel just to get to a high school game? C'mon IHSA. Amazing the destruction of key rivalries and longtime conferences.

After having some time to look it over....I'm guessing this was like an internal workup that got "released" unexpectedly....on a lot of levels you are missing some serious details like multipliers (I know this is for 2021 but still...) various tweaks and such as well as including every CPL football playing team here. Interesting to look at but I would assume a final one would have much different feel/look.....yet isn't this exactly what everyone voted for?

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
Both schools could play their freshman teams and win those districts and you would have no real test for your team until the playoffs. I would hope both programs would want a much better schedule than this would provide. Nazareth would also moonwalk to district titles year after year.
I think I'd rather be Maine South. They could play the feeder program's traveling team Park Ridge Falcons and go 8-1 most regular seasons..

After having some time to look it over....I'm guessing this was like an internal workup that got "released" unexpectedly....on a lot of levels you are missing some serious details like multipliers (I know this is for 2021 but still...) various tweaks and such as well as including every CPL football playing team here. Interesting to look at but I would assume a final one would have much different feel/look.....yet isn't this exactly what everyone voted for?
Yes, "the final one would have (a) much different feel/look." For example, what year's enrollment number would be used for class designation on which a school's vote might be based? With the current numbers being used for this proposal, only 4 students separate the largest 7A team (LWC) from smallest 8A (Andrew). It appears a difference of class in which your district lands for 2 or 3 seasons has more impact than a classification for playoff competition?

Ugh... there are certainly groupings where this looks like it will work great, but it seems that for every problem with the self selected conferences it solves, it will create a different problem somewhere else.

I’m not convinced the rigidness of aligning school sizes should trump geography. I think this system is more workable if it allows for subjectivity in alignment. 2 hour commutes vs 45 min commutes for a 1 class size diff doesn’t seem worth it. This system seems to overvalue the perception that like sizes yields competitiveness and undervalues travel and natural geographic rivalries.

The competitiveness for private powers and the CPS schools needs to be managed.

We need to figure out those first 2 games - they need to count. Seems like we’d be foolish not to learn from Iowa who just changed this policy after running their districts in this manner for long enough to see the impact in action

It has always puzzled me that, when it applies, the name of the school is in parentheses while the location of the school seems to be given priority. Thus we end up with lists like this, which seem like the opposite of what they should be:

Chicago (Juarez)
Chicago (Kelly)
Chicago (Lincoln Park)
Chicago (Mount Carmel)...

From an editorial as well as a common sense perspective, it should be arranged like this:

Juarez (Chicago)
Kelly (Chicago)
Lincoln Park (Chicago)
Mount Carmel (Chicago)...

When the scores of the games are reported, the papers never say that Blue Island beat Burbank or Chicago beat Chicago. They say that Eisenhower beat Reavis or Mt. Carmel beat St. Rita. The school's location is secondary to its name.

Last edited:
I think I'd rather be Maine South. They could play the feeder program's traveling team Park Ridge Falcons and go 8-1 most regular seasons..
It will be interesting to see how Lyons changes. As we all know, they should be a semi-finalist every year.

Reactions: AlwaysABulldog
I now suspect that the IHSA itself was surprised by the December vote in favor of districts. Some of their decisions since have left me scratching my head...

First, I suggested shortly after the vote that the IHSA probably would propose districts, and then give the co-oping schools time to digest them and decide whether to keep the co-ops. Likewise, they should have given smaller schools the opportunity to go 8 man if they didn't like what was going on. According to what I read about Hoopeston Area's co-ops, the IHSA informed schools in late February that all existing co-ops for football were going to become two year co-ops for 2019 and 2020, even if the agreements were to end after 2019. The deadline for deciding to go 8 man was apparently March 1. Danville Schlarman apparently saw the 4A writing on the wall for the co-op and bailed, deciding to go 8 man without proper notice. Hoopeston and Armstrong, the other two schools in the co-op, are left without the time to determine whether or not they should split and go 8 man, continue as a two school co-op, or whatever other options they may consider. The two school co-op is presumably 3A now, if they stay together...Maybe headed for 8 man...I assume many co-op and 1A programs are pretty pissed at the IHSA for their timing on this and were thrown into similar situations...And just now, three months later, the first district proposals are being passed out based on old enrollments.

Second, if the IHSA had any advance theory, you would think that the CPS non-playoff schools would not have been included in the first proposal...Or multipliers would have been included across the board (McNamara actual enrollment is 2A, but they are listed in 4A, while Montini is 5A?).

Third, despite the whining I repeatedly have heard on here, the IHSA puts more schools in 8A than they have in 1A thru 5A...Apparently the administration isn't buying into the "more rigorous 8A schedule" argument often used on this site...

This seems like the administration is begging for someone to put the concept back up for vote to be reversed...

Travel? Palos Heights Chicago Christian must be enthralled with the concept of their closest opponent being 45+ minutes away with no traffic, even if it is a 2A district and their multiplied enrollment is on 3A/4A border...although in the big picture Hoopeston Area is smack in the middle of the district Chicago Christian is proposed in (the Cornjerkers are currently or previously conference members with every other school in the proposed district)....

Half these teams will probably forfeit against MC....Kelly? Juarez? Von Steubenn? Does Whitney even have a team??? I'm sure MC will get SR and BR in the Non Conference, but I really hope this gets overturned. Its embarrassing.

MC and SR should be in the same district. Just move the Caravan to Rita's division and we're good.
Agreed....at least you guys got Shepard which may be able to hang with you for a bit....our biggest threat would be Fenwick....how did we not get put in the same division but we got Proviso East and Von Steubenn? Tragic to these schools.

I can't lie, outside of a district here or there I really like these. All of the 8A South districts are great (travel aside for the one). The competitive levels are fantastic. North districts are pretty good too. even the 7A-5A classes I really like. I gotta say, I was a skeptic but the vast majority of districts I really like.

Sure there's some that seem at first glance like they aren't competitive, but even then they are. Look at 7A South District D with MC. Sure MC is going to win that 100% of the time and Fenwick likely 2nd, but the battle for those last two spots will be fierce with a bunch of opportunity for those other programs. 7A South District C, outside of Rita that is going to be very competitive. Plus that gives MC and Rita the opporunity to schedule non-con games with each other without hurting their playoff chances. The 7A North Districts are absolutely great.

So on and so forth. Look some of the travel isn't great, but isn't that what we knew was going to happen? Instead look at the compelling matchups. Well done IHSA, well done.

Two thoughts-Rockford Christian is having trouble keeping their enrollment up and keeping their doors open. Why would any parent now send their kid there when every district game is in the city of Chicago? School will certainly close - at least this is my thought.

2nd-I’m late to the party but is this just for football or all sports? They can’t be expecting LWE to travel 3 hrs down south for a midweek baseball game correct?

Agreed....at least you guys got Shepard which may be able to hang with you for a bit....our biggest threat would be Fenwick....how did we not get put in the same division but we got Proviso East and Von Steubenn? Tragic to these schools.

A little conspiracy theory here: Caravan and Rita's districts' playoff qualifiers always play each other in first two rounds of playoffs. Hence, we are back to quad-like situations.

If that's where Naz would end up in 6A they need to request to multiply up to 7A/8A every year.
They are in 7a so not sure what IHSA is releasing, unless they are projecting them to go down but if they are it’s almost always 5a. As far as petitioning up to 7a... Their 7a district is the one MC is in. Sure MC is an upgrade over any game in this mock-up but the rest of the district is just as bad.

Except for 7A, these are better than expected. Still think how to handle CPS needs to be resolved better. How will promotion/relegation from the top level work with a 2-year cycle? Will some public schools be able to petition down?

I can't lie, outside of a district here or there I really like these. All of the 8A South districts are great (travel aside for the one). The competitive levels are fantastic. North districts are pretty good too. even the 7A-5A classes I really like. I gotta say, I was a skeptic but the vast majority of districts I really like.

Sure there's some that seem at first glance like they aren't competitive, but even then they are. Look at 7A South District D with MC. Sure MC is going to win that 100% of the time and Fenwick likely 2nd, but the battle for those last two spots will be fierce with a bunch of opportunity for those other programs. 7A South District C, outside of Rita that is going to be very competitive. Plus that gives MC and Rita the opporunity to schedule non-con games with each other without hurting their playoff chances. The 7A North Districts are absolutely great.

So on and so forth. Look some of the travel isn't great, but isn't that what we knew was going to happen? Instead look at the compelling matchups. Well done IHSA, well done.

So, a "competitive" district has the winner penciled in in August every year? Because the peloton can all play with each other? When 87.5% of the district has 0% chance of winning the district, I would say that is the opposite of competitive. What do you objectively think the odds are for the Catholic schools are to win their district in 5A-7A?

It has always puzzled me that, when it applies, the name of the school is in parentheses while the location of the school seems to be given priority. Thus we end up with lists like this, which seem like the opposite of what they should be:

Chicago (Juarez)
Chicago (Kelly)
Chicago (Lincoln Park)
Chicago (Mount Carmel)...

From an editorial as well as a common sense perspective, it should be arranged like this:

Juarez (Chicago)
Kelly (Chicago)
Lincoln Park (Chicago)
Mount Carmel (Chicago)...

When the scores of the games are reported, the papers never say that Blue Island beat Burbank or Chicago beat Chicago. They say that Eisenhower beat Reavis or Mt. Carmel beat St. Rita. The school's location is secondary to its name.

But from the IHSA perspective, location is as important as the name in this process. Marion/Marian is a somewhat vague description...Woodstock, Chicago Heights, and the downstate Marion are pretty far apart, particularly if you are unsure of the spelling...Same for Chicago Mount Carmel and downstate Mount Carmel...Marquette (Alton or Ottawa?). And let's not get started on Norths, Souths, Easts, Wests and Centrals...

Should it be Catholic Academy (Joliet)...I think not...

So, a "competitive" district has the winner penciled in in August every year? Because the peloton can all play with each other? When 87.5% of the district has 0% chance of winning the district, I would say that is the opposite of competitive. What do you objectively think the odds are for the Catholic schools are to win their district in 5A-7A?
Yeah, it's more than about the top team. Hell, these conferences are hardly competitive now. I can just about pencil in Loyola in August, same with LWE, GBW, SHG, C-M, MS, Marist, Oswego, East Side, and I'm sure there's some I'm missing. I don't know what the odds would be for the Catholic schools, but at a cursory glance it looks like you win some and lose some.

Look at the 8A south district with Marist, Rice, HF and Simeon. The battle for the placing in the top 4 will be great, but essentially the football programs of everyone else is finished. While I like the district, that's not what I consider competitive when you know the 4 playoff teams every year. Or maybe it's a different kind of competitive. I prefer where a bunch of schools are battling it out for something tangible.

Of course the one team I would like to see (wilmo) is not listed.......anyone have any access to the 3a districts?

All.... Found this although I don't know how accurate it is. Ratsy

North District C (9)

C (Carver)
C (Catalyst/Maria)
C (CICS/Ellison)
C (CICS/Longwood)
C (Julian)
Peotone
Seneca
Wilmington

Last edited:
All.... Found this although I don't know how accurate it is. Missing one team as well. Ratsy

North District C (9)

C (Carver)
C (Catalyst/Maria)
C (CICS/Ellison)
C (CICS/Longwood)
C (Julian)
Peotone
Seneca
Wilmington

I would think Reed Custer would be in that district

I got questions...

Why are they 70 schools in 8A and 68 in classes 1A-5A?
How is St. Iggy, Notre dame and Pats just 6A schools?
How does Dundee-Crown, which is North of both Huntley and Jacobs, not play in the Northern-most district in 8A?
Do you think alot of AD's or principals that are looking to change their vote?
How easy will it be for Phillips?

Just a few for starters.

Great questions, Dick. This HAS to be revoted on this winter and removed from consideration forever.

Reactions: jimsavio

True is...people voted without knowing what the hell they were voting for!

All.... Found this although I don't know how accurate it is. Ratsy

North District C (9)

C (Carver)
C (Catalyst/Maria)
C (CICS/Ellison)
C (CICS/Longwood)
C (Julian)
Peotone
Seneca
Wilmington

I would think Reed Custer would be in that district

K3 Daily Journal left CICS Ellison out of its list, so I would agree with Ratsy...

And the Daily Journal lists 3A South District B as:

Reed-Custer
St. Thomas More
Dwight
Herscher
Monticello
Paxton-Buckley-Loda
St. Joseph - Ogden
Sullivan

Brilliant theory to rip the 3A line through the middle of the former I-8 so that three of them play in a district with CPS schools, while the other three go Champaign area...when the six former I-8 schools' boundaries are contiguous...but that's geography...

This screams revote...and go back to your logical geographical conference.

"Great questions, Dick."

I've never heard Viator guys being referred to as Dicks. Ever.

K3 Daily Journal left CICS Ellison out of its list, so I would agree with Ratsy...

And the Daily Journal lists 3A South District B as:

Reed-Custer
St. Thomas More
Dwight
Herscher
Monticello
Paxton-Buckley-Loda
St. Joseph - Ogden
Sullivan

Brilliant theory to rip the 3A line through the middle of the former I-8 so that three of them play in a district with CPS schools, while the other three go Champaign area...when the six former I-8 schools' boundaries are contiguous...but that's geography...

This screams revote...and go back to your logical geographical conference.

Hahaha I'm sure the RC and Herscher faithful will love that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT