ADVERTISEMENT

Class 5A Teams to Beat in 2018?

sterling graduates a lot. most of the offense and 1/2 of the defense. there are some nice pieces returning, especially on defense.
Hopefully we can see another really good team out of sterling this year. I was impressed by you guys when I watched a couple of games after the season ended, and I would love to see some more 5a teams really progress to become legitimate teams in the state. I would love to Bob McMillen get that St. Francis program back on track and see them back in 5a. I know the last time they went to the semis was a couple years ago in 6a, but if we can get some really solid teams in JCA, MCC, Viator, Montini, Sterling, Kaneland, Sycamore, Morris, and St. Francis in 5a, this bracket can be a lot of fun to watch.

Reactions: Gene K.
Would love to hear some insight on this.
I mean they are going to be playing in the CCL Blue this year which many believe is the best conference in the entire state, and will be the smallest school in the Blue. If they can make the playoffs after going through that, you won't find a team in 5a better than the best team in the CCL Blue, so they will be so battle tested by that schedule that it will be hard to believe they won't be playing in the state championship game. You might find a team that is as good as the best team they play in conference (Phillips) but you won't find anything better.

Reactions: Bowie50 and Gene K.
I mean they are going to be playing in the CCL Blue this year which many believe is the best conference in the entire state, and will be the smallest school in the Blue. If they can make the playoffs after going through that, you won't find a team in 5a better than the best team in the CCL Blue, so they will be so battle tested by that schedule that it will be hard to believe they won't be playing in the state championship game. You might find a team that is as good as the best team they play in conference (Phillips) but you won't find anything better.
Ok that's pretty vague. I was curious WHY they are the team to beat in 5A. Tough Schedule doesn't answer the question. Who are they returning?

Ok that's pretty vague. I was curious WHY they are the team to beat in 5A. Tough Schedule doesn't answer the question. Who are they returning?
I guess I don't have those specifics that you are looking for, but I think the conference they play in and the reputation they have built over the past decade, speaks for itself why they could be the team to beat

They are A team to beat not THE team to beat. If you don't think for a second Montini is a contender in 5A after their schedule and playing 6A for a few years you are naive.

They are A team to beat not THE team to beat. If you don't think for a second Montini is a contender in 5A after their schedule and playing 6A for a few years you are naive.
Yes I probably am. Thanks for setting me straight with your guesswork.

I wouldn't say they are "the" team to beat, but they do have a strong OL-DL, with a number of solid contributors coming up from the lower levels. QB question mark, solid RB and strong potential at WR. It's really a transition year and lookout in 2019 and the move to 5A and the CCL-B should help, but they HAVE to get to 5 wins. If they get to 5, they could be a challenge for the 5A set.

Reactions: Q5clan and Gene K.
Montini's top players are likely at MLB and RB. I really don't see them making the playoffs unless they get at least 2 CCL Blue wins. I know someone will say those numbers don't add up but last year they struggled with anyone they played on the road and stopping the run.

Maybe they need to skip the 7 on 7s in the summer and instead work on drills to stop the run. If they make the playoffs they will be battle tested but not the top team to beat in 5a.

Reactions: Q5clan
Montini's top players are likely at MLB and RB. I really don't see them making the playoffs unless they get at least 2 CCL Blue wins. I know someone will say those numbers don't add up but last year they struggled with anyone they played on the road and stopping the run.

Maybe they need to skip the 7 on 7s in the summer and instead work on drills to stop the run. If they make the playoffs they will be battle tested but not the top team to beat in 5a.
Thanks for the insight.

All.... Hate hearing both JCA and Montini because of the tough conferences they are in might struggle getting 5 wins and a spot in postseason play. While Phillips was mildly interesting watching in the final 5A is no fun anymore. Would love to see a 9-4 Hilltopper team that went south square off against a 9-4 Bronco team that went north in the 2018 final. Ratsy

What’s Montini’s schedule?

What’s Montini’s schedule?

I don't have it but I figured since they replaced Mt. Carmel in the blue it will be similar to Mt. Carmels schedule last year.

Montini drops Lake Zurich for non-con so I think they may schedule two soft non-cons since they moved to the blue. I heard a rumor they still play Mt. Carmel in a blue/green crossover.

Still stick to my earlier prediction that Montini will need at least 2 blue wins to make the playoffs.

Wassup

Last edited:
I don't have it but I figured since they replaced Mt. Carmel in the blue it will be similar to Mt. Carmels schedule last year.

Montini drops Lake Zurich for non-con so I think they may schedule two soft non-cons since they moved to the blue. I heard a rumor they still play Mt. Carmel in a blue/green crossover.

Still stick to my earlier prediction that Montini will need at least 2 blue wins to make the playoffs.

Wassup
They don’t need to beat any Blue teams to make the playoffs. I’m certain that they’re two non cons will be cupcakes and I don’t blame them at all, but depending on who their crossovers are they could legitimately not beat a blue team and still make the playoffs and win state! I do however think they can beat some blue teams.

Wassup
08/24/2018* Fri vs. Hyde Park Academy High School H 7:00 PM Gamefield -
08/31/2018* Fri vs. Christ the King Jesuit College Prep H 7:30 PM Game Field -
09/07/2018* Fri vs. Marmion Academy H 7:30 PM Game Field -
09/14/2018* Fri vs. St. Joseph High School H 7:30 PM Game Field -
09/21/2018* Fri vs. St. Rita High School HOMECOMING H 7:30 PM Game Field -
09/29/2018* Sat @ Loyola Academy A 1:30 PM Loyola Academy -
10/05/2018* Fri @ Fenwick High School A 7:30 PM Fenwick High School -
10/12/2018* Fri @ Providence Catholic High School A 7:30 PM Providence Catholic High School -
10/19/2018* Fri vs. Brother Rice High School H 7:30 PM Game Field -

Christ the King? Why in the world is Montini playing them? Per their website, they have a new tackle football program. That is the only team the Broncos could find? Wow!
I can see MCHS getting into real playoff point issues if they only get to 5 wins. I can't imagine Hyde Park, Christ the King, or St Joes are getting you many points.

I think Montini will win at least one Blue game. IMO, they have scheduled intelligently, considering they are a 5A school in the Blue.

Guaranteed (can I say that?) wins.....Hyde Park, CK and Joe's
Favored (but should be competitive games).....Marmion, Fenwick
Underdogs (but could win).....Rita, Provi and Rice
Good luck......Loyola

Talented but young IMO. I think Ross could break out, Zach Olson is a name to watch, Bufkin is back, Fedanzo looks like he was cut out of stone. McNicholas is gigantic and getting Bufkin and Fedanzo behind him could help control the clock for a young QB.

However, the blue is the blue. Best of luck. 5 wins is for sure attainable. I can see 7 if I'm being honest!

Talented but young IMO. I think Ross could break out, Zach Olson is a name to watch, Bufkin is back, Fedanzo looks like he was cut out of stone. McNicholas is gigantic and getting Bufkin and Fedanzo behind him could help control the clock for a young QB.

However, the blue is the blue. Best of luck. 5 wins is for sure attainable. I can see 7 if I'm being honest!

5-0 going into Loyola? NOT out of the question.

I think Montini will win at least one Blue game. IMO, they have scheduled intelligently, considering they are a 5A school in the Blue.

Guaranteed (can I say that?) wins.....Hyde Park, CK and Joe's
Favored (but should be competitive games).....Marmion, Fenwick
Underdogs (but could win).....Rita, Provi and Rice
Good luck......Loyola
Montini did draw the 2 worst Blue road assignments. Bad things just happen at PC and LA

Is the transfer QB going to be in the mix?

Is the transfer QB going to be in the mix?

I would think he has to be looked at, at a minimum. How did he get out of Naz with a pass anyway? I would have thought it would be blocked, and understandably...

I would think he has to be looked at, at a minimum. How did he get out of Naz with a pass anyway? I would have thought it would be blocked, and understandably...
Probably better suited off the board.

Did not know Bufkin is back. That is huge!

Bufkin can play multiple positions and adds speed to the offense.

I think after the first round exit this year they're going to be overlooked. "The dynasty is dead" so to speak. Having said that, Bu built a wrestling program from scratch and won 8 state titles. Softball program won a state title. Football we all know about.

Don't count out a guy that has state title rings for his toes. That's all I'm saying.

True Bu could do it but football is much harder because really you need 22 starters to hang with the 7a and 8a schools and your 23 to 40 guys have to be very good also for depth. Not easy to do for a 650 enrollment school. Wrestling you need only 12 guys and girls softball 9.

At some point he has to come up with a new aggressive system of defense focusing on stopping the run. Teams wont try to beat them with the pass since they know the run will work.

Bu's major strength is getting the student players and the right assistant coaches in place and let them do their thing as well as motivation.

Wassup

Last edited:
I think Montini will do very well in class 5A whose teams are much closer in student population to Montini's. I agree with Wassup that last year it was our defense that couldn't stop the run which led to the number of lost games. The defensive line was fast but not very big. Slater played lights out last season on the line rushing the passer and was very solid against the run but we didn't have enough bigger kids to compliment him. Most teams ran away from the side he lined up on.

The teams that beat us ran straight up the gut and the linebackers were forced to make most of the tackles usually 4-5 yards past the line of scrimmage. I thought the linebacker play was pretty good. We also occasionally had some problems on the running play sweeps to the outside (against LZ in particular). Defense backs for the most part played very well.

Offensively, the team played very well, although I thought we could have run the ball more especially in those games when we were ahead and let the other team come back to beat us such as Marmion and DeKalb. The running backs were solid and the QB play was good. I felt they should have passed more to Quaglia who was underutilized IMO. Taking nothing away from Orlando who ran the option extremely well, I would still have liked to have seen Norgle in there occasionally on passing plays as I felt he was a better passer than Orlando based on the years I watched them play.

Coach Bu over all did a very good job in his first year, but I felt the team under performed. They had the same players on the team for the most part who as sophmores lost only 1 game to Maine South by 3 points. I am really hoping we can get some the bigger kids from the wresting team to come out for football this year.

The biggest question mark for me this season will be the QB play and the size of the offensive and defensive lines. There will be some very good football players coming back to the team at RB, LB and WR.

Gene,

Agree with everything but wrestling is a year round sport at Montini. The only players you will get is the heavyweight McNicholas and the LB Trevor Swier. The next weight class is 220 pounds which really would be too small for a lineman and typically a LB in the blue.

Excited to see a healthy Polumbo this year.

Wassup

Last edited:
School on a roll right now? Believe it or not, Kankakee Kays. The Kays are having the best winter ever...

Girls basketball first sectional title in school history, beating McNamara (Mac beat them by 20+ earlier in the season). Last two seasons were 3-20 and 6-17...

Boys basketball first sweet 16 trip since 1981 - yes, first since Westview's massively talented team the year before Eastridge & Westview consolidated back to one school. Last two seasons were 4-25 & 10-17; 21-6 this year so far...

And the Kays restarted wrestling for the first time in more than 10 years...

Last 3 seasons the Kays went 3-6, 6-4, and 3-6...A similar jump in the fall would be what, a semifinals run? Can the roll continue...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT