ADVERTISEMENT

Class 5A Teams to Beat in 2018?

School on a roll right now? Believe it or not, Kankakee Kays. The Kays are having the best winter ever...

Girls basketball first sectional title in school history, beating McNamara (Mac beat them by 20+ earlier in the season). Last two seasons were 3-20 and 6-17...

Boys basketball first sweet 16 trip since 1981 - yes, first since Westview's massively talented team the year before Eastridge & Westview consolidated back to one school. Last two seasons were 4-25 & 10-17; 21-6 this year so far...

And the Kays restarted wrestling for the first time in more than 10 years...

Last 3 seasons the Kays went 3-6, 6-4, and 3-6...A similar jump in the fall would be what, a semifinals run? Can the roll continue...
Mac must not be stealing their kids.

Montini's top players are likely at MLB and RB.

After thinking about this Montini's RB reminds me a lot of RB Nick Campanella of Addison Driscoll when I watch Campanella's junior year highlights on hudl except that Montini's RB is faster.

Wassup

Last edited:
Reactions: DCH88
After thinking about this Montini's RB reminds me a lot of RB Nick Campanella of Addison Driscoll when I watch Campanella's junior year highlights on hudl except that Montini's RB is faster.

Wassup
I sure hope you are wrong for mine and @MR. "T" mental health! Campanella was a great player for Montini and Driscoll, and a faster version is pretty scary

Reactions: MR. "T"
Rules question which could affect 5a: how does the success factor apply to a school which has enrollment changes? IC's enrollment for 18-19 is 321, so multiplier makes it 529.15. Winning back to back 3A titles success factors them. Although unlikely, it is possible that the 3A/4A cutoff line is 529 or less.

So, if IC makes the playoffs and the 3A/4A cutoff line is 529 or less, does the success factor push IC into 5A?

Rules question which could affect 5a: how does the success factor apply to a school which has enrollment changes? IC's enrollment for 18-19 is 321, so multiplier makes it 529.15. Winning back to back 3A titles success factors them. Although unlikely, it is possible that the 3A/4A cutoff line is 529 or less.

So, if IC makes the playoffs and the 3A/4A cutoff line is 529 or less, does the success factor push IC into 5A?
no

According to the IHSA site, the only football schools being success factored this year are IC, Naz & SHG...And if IC's actual enrollment were to push them to 4A, there would be no success factor applied...hmmm....so, when schools (Sterling Newman comes to mind with IC) sit on a class border, if they win back to back titles as the largest school in the smaller class and the next year they are the smallest school in the larger class there is no success factor "penalty"? This is probably why nobody puts as much emphasis on the success factor issue in smaller classes - many of the private schools float on the border of two classes anyway, and could win back to backs and just end up in the bigger class enrollment wise anyway...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT