ADVERTISEMENT

CCL Shuffle

If the non-cons are at the beginning of the season, then you run the gauntlet the rest of the season, what sort of condition are you in for round 1 of the playoffs? Its one thing to enter playoffs 9-0, because it means round 1 is likely to be a rest week, so any injuries have time to be addressed, but if you're entering 5-4, your opponent is likely to be decent.

I fully support swinging up to prepare for playoffs, but what value is there to a team like IC to walk into 3 games knowing you're very unlikely to win and then sprinkle in a few more tough calls? A pick 'em coming off a back to back LA/Marist run isn't a pick 'em at that point, its probably another dog. Again, where's the value in that?

@DeanOfSelection , what were the Francis match-ups?
Div with IC, Naz, Friar and crosses with SR, JC, Laurence and Marmion.

If the non-cons are at the beginning of the season, then you run the gauntlet the rest of the season, what sort of condition are you in for round 1 of the playoffs? Its one thing to enter playoffs 9-0, because it means round 1 is likely to be a rest week, so any injuries have time to be addressed, but if you're entering 5-4, your opponent is likely to be decent.

I fully support swinging up to prepare for playoffs, but what value is there to a team like IC to walk into 3 games knowing you're very unlikely to win and then sprinkle in a few more tough calls? A pick 'em coming off a back to back LA/Marist run isn't a pick 'em at that point, its probably another dog. Again, where's the value in that?

No doubt this is a tough draw for ICCP.

That said, it was always going to be tough sledding. In their old league, the ceiling was always 9 wins. In this league, even the most favorable draw was going to be 7 wins. This draw is far from charitable and leaves their ceiling probably in the 4-6 win range and 6 may be optimistic.

They should be pushing back against this schedule. That said, even the best resolution for them still has them getting thumped once or twice and also in a few dog fights. They were likely never going to be grouped with leo and ACC and Marian catholic.

I think they are looking at a best case scenario of getting one of their two guaranteed thumpings downgraded to a guaranteed good game with a team the caliber of ND, PC but I’m sure they would prefer a Carmel or viator to take the place of one of the two real tough draws.

No doubt this is a tough draw for ICCP.

That said, it was always going to be tough sledding. In their old league, the ceiling was always 9 wins. In this league, even the most favorable draw was going to be 7 wins. This draw is far from charitable and leaves their ceiling probably in the 4-6 win range and 6 may be optimistic.

They should be pushing back against this schedule. That said, even the best resolution for them still has them getting thumped once or twice and also in a few dog fights. They were likely never going to be grouped with leo and ACC and Marian catholic.

I think they are bc looking at a best case scenario of getting one of their two guaranteed thumpings downgraded to a guaranteed good game with a team the caliber of ND, PC but I’m sure they would prefer a Carmel or viator to take the place of one of the two real tough draws.
In the case of IC, yes I would normally pick them to beat a Benet and Pat's but now in the context of the pounding with that schedule vs LA, Marist- so truly 2 Blue teams- and Fenwick, who is supposed to be really good again, and Naz who bring backs everyone always the chance they incur a rash of injuries with a small roster.

I think Rita was one of those matchups.

I know a team that was once in a lowly PSL conference and joined a big boy conference and if it weren't for St Joes they'd have been the laughing stock of the conference. Fast forward to this year and that same team after a covid exodus went 5-4 lost to some of the same conference powerhouses one of the wins coming on a hard fought safety and week 1 of the playoffs they seemed to be in pretty good shape against a not so "decent" opponent and continued to roll all the way to a 5A championship with 4 conference losses.

I liked going to Naz games as a kid watching them beat up their PSL foes and as much as it sucked for my senior season, I was happy we voted to make the move to the ESCC because while going 9-0 or 7-2 is fun it was not taking that next step. It wasn't going to be challenging for us or the ones that came after. I can see IC getting to 5 wins with that schedule, but they will need to work for them and when they do and run the table in November it's going to fee pretty good. Take my word for it.

I know a team that was once in a lowly PSL conference and joined a big boy conference and if it weren't for St Joes they'd have been the laughing stock of the conference. Fast forward to this year and that same team after a covid exodus went 5-4 lost to some of the same conference powerhouses one of the wins coming on a hard fought safety and week 1 of the playoffs they seemed to be in pretty good shape against a not so "decent" opponent and continued to roll all the way to a 5A championship with 4 conference losses.

I liked going to Naz games as a kid watching them beat up their PSL foes and as much as it sucked for my senior season, I was happy we voted to make the move to the ESCC because while going 9-0 or 7-2 is fun it was not taking that next step. It wasn't going to be challenging for us or the ones that came after. I can see IC getting to 5 wins with that schedule, but they will need to work for them and when they do and run the table in November it's going to fee pretty good. Take my word for it.
I of course agree all of this sentiment from Nazs standpoint, but I do think the jump from ICs mid 300s Enrollment to Naz's mid 700s is big when building a football roster. It's not linear I think from 300 to 700 to 1100+

If there were to be some split, you can create a really intriguing football conference of sub-1,000 enrollment schools which IC could compete in for sure. But while Naz, JCA, and Providence could punch even above that, it's a much taller task for IC to also punch up, even given time to adjust to a more difficult schedule.

Reactions: Alexander32
What was Naz's enrollment in 2003 when they made the move. It couldn't have been the same as it is now. I had like 125 kids tops in my graduating class. I think the kids started coming after the fact when Racki was building his roster. I could be wrong though. I agree its a different situation but I can only guess that joining this conference and competing with big schools is going to put IC even more on the map and prove to be a good move in the end.

What was Naz's enrollment in 2003 when they made the move. It couldn't have been the same as it is now. I had like 125 kids tops in my graduating class. I think the kids started coming after the fact when Racki was building his roster. I could be wrong though. I agree its a different situation but I can only guess that joining this conference and competing with big schools is going to put IC even more on the map and prove to be a good move in the end.
I think you just had an unusually small class then, and it sounds like we were just a couple years apart. I think total enrolment was right around 750 all 4 of my years (03-06). I graduated with 199 and we had an unusually large class, but I'm nearly certain total school enrollment has stayed steady around 750 for a while.

I don't know a lot about the recruiting side of private schools (and I don't mean the public vs private crap...). But from the outside, this jump for IC doesn't make sense to me. With only 300 kids, what happens if they suddenly go from 7 wins "guaranteed" and then a nice playoff run, to years where not making the playoffs is a real possibility. I realize people make choices of schools for many reasons, but strictly for football, could they lose students that want 4 years of the playoff run?

Div with Naz, Friar, Wheaton SF and crosses with LA, Marist, Benet, Shamrock
I’m guessing IC wants to switch non conferences games with Fenwick which I feel like Fenwick would take since we basically already play Loyola every year anyway. Fenwick would take the free playoff points from the Loyola game, underdog against Marist but not as steep as IC would be, favorites against Benet and Pats. Only question would be who Fenwick is currently slated against in non conference games.

I’m guessing IC wants to switch non conferences games with Fenwick which I feel like Fenwick would take since we basically already play Loyola every year anyway. Fenwick would take the free playoff points from the Loyola game, underdog against Marist but not as steep as IC would be, favorites against Benet and Pats. Only question would be who Fenwick is currently slated against in non conference games.
MC, ND, Prov, Com.

One by one we'll figure out Naz's crossovers and then the whole schedule. So BR.. JCA? Ignatius? One other?

Not sure there's any one easy crossover slate for IC in that group, but is the Naz crossover group the easiest-looking in that group?

One by one we'll figure out Naz's crossovers and then the whole schedule. So BR.. JCA? Ignatius? One other?

Not sure there's any one easy crossover slate for IC in that group, but is the Naz crossover group the easiest-looking in that group?
BR, Iggy, Bronco Viator. *Unsure if this can change with the wrangling going on but Blue and Green are set.

MC, ND, Prov, Com.
Honestly I really like the IC, Naz, St Francis, Fenwick grouping given the proximity of these schools. But that is a tall ask for IC, a 3A school, to crossover and face 8A champions Loyola first year in the conference. Maybe move IC down in a grouping with Montini, Marmion, etc and move a school up?

Honestly I really like the IC, Naz, St Francis, Fenwick grouping given the proximity of these schools. But that is a tall ask for IC, a 3A school, to crossover and face 8A champions Loyola first year in the conference. Maybe move IC down in a grouping with Montini, Marmion, etc and move a school up?
Agreed. I'm sure this has changed, but the original White Division was supposed to be as follows:

1 Benet 2 Providence 3 St Laurence 4 Montini

There is a simple fix to the IC problem (and I agree with IC's objections). Switch IC and Provi. Provi is a much higher enrollment school. They just made the 4A title game with a roster loaded with underclassmen. Makes more sense for the Celtics to play LA and Marist than IC. And the Divisional games with Naz, STF and Fenwick align well.

This band of merry men shall be from this point forward called The CCL College of Cardinals. And as all of us devout Catholics know the leader of this pious group is none other that the Dean of the College of Cardinals.
Not until they reach 80

I graduated from a public school so consider that before reading this, but if all of your sources are correct and from what I've pieced together from this thread, am I right in assuming these were the original divisions proposed until a wrench was thrown into the plans?

You Catholic school guys know how to keep a secret that's for sure lol.

From what it looks like with the crossovers released is that Blue doesn't play Purple, Green doesn't play White, and Orange doesn't play Red. I'm assuming all the 1s play each other in crossovers and on down the line, even though I don't know if that is how it works and if they are actually ranked like this 1-4, but I believe it is based on a formula.

Blue
1. Loyola
2. Mount Carmel
3. St. Rita
4. Brother Rice

Green
1. Marist
2. Notre Dame
3. Joliet Catholic
4. St. Ignatius

White
1. Benet
2. Providence
3. St. Laurence
4. Montini

Orange
1. IC
2. Fenwick
3. St. Francis
4. Nazareth

Purple
1. St. Patrick
2. Carmel
3. Marmion
4. St. Viator

Red (1, 3, and 4 I am not sure on since no one has commented much on Red crossovers and I'm assuming Aurora Catholic is not in until 2024)
1. Marian
2. DePaul
3. Leo
4. De La Salle

niualum....I believe your divisions match the original proposal. I have no idea how it's changed from there.

Reactions: niualum2002
I graduated from a public school so consider that before reading this, but if all of your sources are correct and from what I've pieced together from this thread, am I right in assuming these were the original divisions proposed until a wrench was thrown into the plans?

From what it looks like with the crossovers released is that Blue doesn't play Purple, Green doesn't play White, and Orange doesn't play Red. I'm assuming all the 1s play each other in crossovers and on down the line, even though I don't know if that is how it works and if they are actually ranked like this 1-4, but I believe it is based on a formula.

Blue
1. Loyola
2. Mount Carmel
3. St. Rita
4. Brother Rice

Green
1. Marist
2. Notre Dame
3. Joliet Catholic
4. St. Ignatius

White
1. Benet
2. Providence
3. St. Laurence
4. Montini

Orange
1. IC
2. Fenwick
3. St. Francis
4. Nazareth

Purple
1. St. Patrick
2. Carmel
3. Marmion
4. St. Viator

Red (1, 3, and 4 I am not sure on since no one has commented much on Red crossovers and I'm assuming Aurora Catholic is not in until 2024)
1. Marian
2. DePaul
3. Leo
4. De La Salle
Can we adopt you @niualum2002

Blue
1. Loyola
2. Mount Carmel
3. St. Rita
4. Brother Rice

Green
1. Marist
2. Notre Dame
3. Joliet Catholic
4. St. Ignatius

White
1. Benet
2. Providence
3. St. Laurence
4. Montini

Orange
1. IC
2. Fenwick
3. St. Francis
4. Nazareth

Purple
1. St. Patrick
2. Carmel
3. Marmion
4. St. Viator

1. Marian
2. DePaul
3. Leo
4. De La Salle
Rita: Sandburg, MC, LA, BR, JCA, Larry, Frank, Marmion and an open Weak 2 opponent. Tough schedule.

Blue
1. Loyola
2. Mount Carmel
3. St. Rita
4. Brother Rice

Green
1. Marist
2. Notre Dame
3. Joliet Catholic
4. St. Ignatius

White
1. Benet
2. Providence
3. St. Laurence
4. Montini

Orange
1. IC
2. Fenwick
3. St. Francis
4. Nazareth

Purple
1. St. Patrick
2. Carmel
3. Marmion
4. St. Viator

1. Marian
2. DePaul
3. Leo
4. De La Salle
Montini has Marian, so they would be 4 in the Red I guess

Blue
1. Loyola
2. Mount Carmel
3. St. Rita
4. Brother Rice

Green
1. Marist
2. Notre Dame
3. Joliet Catholic
4. St. Ignatius

White
1. Benet
2. Providence
3. St. Laurence
4. Montini

Orange
1. IC
2. Fenwick
3. St. Francis
4. Nazareth

Purple
1. St. Patrick
2. Carmel
3. Marmion
4. St. Viator

1. Marian
2. DePaul
3. Leo
4. De La Salle
Orange maybe before white on the skill/success ranking but outside of that I think you nailed it.

Blue
1. Loyola
2. Mount Carmel
3. St. Rita
4. Brother Rice

Green
1. Marist
2. Notre Dame
3. Joliet Catholic
4. St. Ignatius

White
1. Benet
2. Providence
3. St. Laurence
4. Montini

Orange
1. IC
2. Fenwick
3. St. Francis
4. Nazareth

Purple
1. St. Patrick
2. Carmel
3. Marmion
4. St. Viator

1. Marian
2. DePaul
3. Leo
4. De La Salle
Original Red was…

1) De La Salle
2) DePaul
3) Leo
4) Marian Catholic

Not sure how they got them in that order. Probably should be DLS, MCH, DP, Leo.

Rita: Sandburg, MC, LA, BR, JCA, Larry, Frank, Marmion and an open Weak 2 opponent. Tough schedule.
Surprised with the Sandburg game. Their old baseball coach had run a not to secret boycott of playing the CCL in baseball during the regular season with other coaches in that area.

Following the way the crossovers go, Blue plays Green week 3 so SR will have JC week 3 and host MC week 4. Need a tomato can week 2.
For sure! Speaking of MC/SR for next year, way too early analysis: MC is a 3 pt favorite?

Rita line play unproven, MC bringing back Dupree. Both defenses will be good by end of season. Am I off here?

Reactions: Gene K.
All.... On a separate note. It sounds like the CCL has to scramble often to fill their non con games. The Ihsa board today is showing for the 2024 season Decatur (MacArthur) and Sacred Heart-Griffin looking for week 1 and 2 games. Ratsy

For sure! Speaking of MC/SR for next year, way too early analysis: MC is a 3 pt favorite?

Rita line play unproven, MC bringing back Dupree. Both defenses will be good by end of season. Am I off here?
SR also is starting the season with a new coach. Had it been game one I'd say MC by 14. MC loses their QB and their on field leader. SR loses the OL by week four MC should still be a 7 pt. favorite.

Lynch stepped right in and called the Offense for MC. He did a very nice job of expanding the play calling portfolio. I'm guessing Hopkins will do the defense for SR. Does any one know who SR will have in the booth for offensive calls?

Reactions: CCLGUY1964
Surprised with the Sandburg game. Their old baseball coach had run a not to secret boycott of playing the CCL in baseball during the regular season with other coaches in that area.
I think Andrew has week 2 open. They are not a tomato can either but if SR played them week two they could really thank Dist. 230 for proposal #3.

MC loses a great senior class and gamers like Dowling, Deacey and Furlong. Despite that, they have many things set for next year. Dupree and Turbo return in the backfield. Elliott ready to step in at QB. Mo Davis, Gilliam, Markett at WR. TE Taylor (started as a soph) is back as well as OC Katumbusi. Defense brings back 3 year starters in Tavon Rice on the DL and Startz at LB. Many guys rotated in like Banks, Chaney.

Circa on Fremont will be posting the Over/Under regular season Win/Loss numbers once the divisions are official and non-conference is announced.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT