ADVERTISEMENT

CCL Shuffle

Hearing one program is trying to get another to swap divisions. Imagining cash envelopes, steak dinners, transfers to be named later. I’m kidding.

Wait, no I’m not.
I wonder who they are trying to switch with.

As the real (original) Mayor Daley would have said, "Dis is a wunnerful ting for alluh Chicaguh."

To which his press secretary once actually said, "Don't print what he says, print what he means".

Reactions: Silver Rain
As the real (original) Mayor Daley would have said, "Dis is a wunnerful ting for alluh Chicaguh."

To which his press secretary once actually said, "Don't print what he says, print what he means".

I love the way he used the language.

My observations (not predictions!) as someone that is outside of the CCL/ESCC inner circle on all of this.

Blue-Loyola, Carmel, Rice, Rita: This seems to be set based on multiple posters here.

Green-Marist, Naz, JCA, Providence: The 2 historic powerhouses (JCA and Providence), and with Naz on their recent run with (29 combined state titles between all 3 I believe?), and those same 3 teams who have also made a state title game or won a title within the last 2 years, grouped with Marist who is a power each year.

White-St. Ignatius, Fenwick, ND, Benet: Enrollment based mostly with Multiplier and Success Factor considered.

Orange-IC, St. Francis, Montini, St. Laurence: Just guessing and figuring IC and St. Francis would maybe stay together.

Purple-Carmel, St. Patrick, St. Viator, Marian: Just because it would be nice to keep one of the divisions the same.

Red-Marmion, DLS, Leo, DePaul Prep, Aurora Catholic: Everyone left

Harold Washington (to an annoying alderman), "You're gonna get a mouthful of something you don't want."

Brilliant

So in under 14 days we have devolved from good natured pizza delivery jokes being categorized as uncivilized to physical threats to annoying people being celebrated as brilliant.

I am exhausted trying to keep up with the ever changing morality standards….

@3OrangeWhips

Any Monday evening report?
Crickets as of last few days. My understanding is there’s been ongoing dialogue between the smaller committee/group but trying to get all the ADs together again to bring resolution. I’ve heard there’s one holdout and my opinion is there’s an obvious switch to be made.

Should have it figured out by 2024.

All the delay is really impacting is 2 divisions and related crossovers. I think the revised Blue & Green programs have moved on and are in “let us know when it’s figured out” mode.

It’s not preventing W1 and W2 non-cons from being scheduled.

Crickets as of last few days. My understanding is there’s been ongoing dialogue between the smaller committee/group but trying to get all the ADs together again to bring resolution. I’ve heard there’s one holdout and my opinion is there’s an obvious switch to be made.

Should have it figured out by 2024.

All the delay is really impacting is 2 divisions and related crossovers. I think the revised Blue & Green programs have moved on and are in “let us know when it’s figured out” mode.

It’s not preventing W1 and W2 non-cons from being scheduled.
let's know when the papal conclave decides

giphy.gif

This is pathetic. Let whoever is unhappy walk. Where are they going to go?

Reactions: UlbKA91
The League should bring the division/crossover concerns to an Edgy poll with the results binding.

Or like the College Football Playoff, create a board that determines the slotting. The Chairman of the Board would be @DeanOfSelection with

@McCaravan
@3OrangeWhips
@godfthr53
@pjjp

rounding out the board
Is the case of a mid sized ESCC team that graduated a lot this year and historically has program that wins a lot, not wanting a schedule that they will have work hard for 5 wins?

Reactions: MC63
Is the case of a mid sized ESCC team that graduated a lot this year and historically has program that wins a lot, not wanting a schedule that they will have work hard for 5 wins?
Interesting. But that’s not the case from the info I’ve heard but my info could be old.

For any of this to work, all the programs have to understand 4-5 is possible but works itself out as time passes.

So the idea and theory of 2 year realignment works out over time but that meets and conflicts with the present needs and wants of the signatory programs.

The League should bring the division/crossover concerns to an Edgy poll with the results binding.

Or like the College Football Playoff, create a board that determines the slotting. The Chairman of the Board would be @DeanOfSelection with

@McCaravan
@3OrangeWhips
@godfthr53
@pjjp
@lookoutforliam

rounding out the board
This band of merry men shall be from this point forward called The CCL College of Cardinals. And as all of us devout Catholics know the leader of this pious group is none other that the Dean of the College of Cardinals.

Interesting. But that’s not the case from the info I’ve heard but my info could be old.

For any of this to work, all the programs have to understand 4-5 is possible but works itself out as time passes.

So the idea and theory of 2 year realignment works out over time but that meets and conflicts with the present needs and wants of the signatory programs.
Years ago Fenwick wanted out of the Blue bad enough to say they would quit the CCL and join the ESCC. So unequal divisions comprised the CCL with one of the better teams rotating in and out of the other division. No team wants to know that they will never make the playoffs.

Then came the merger. With the realignment came two goals that are sometimes in conflict. One is to have teams play teams of equal ability and/or size and the other is to give everyone a chance to get to five wins. So the league formed conferences of only four teams. Everyone had to get their own non con games weeks one and two. The rest of the schedule the league would handle with crossovers between conferences. Because the conferences are small no one qualifies for post season based upon being conference champs. Thus, the elusive goal of five wins. Finding games weeks one and two is also difficult. The small programs hate knowing that are going to lose some games before the season ever starts but it comes to basketball, baseball, wrestling, hockey, lacrosse, water polo etc.. Those other teams never apologize for beating the snot out of you on a regular basis. Finding games for the 1st two weeks is not an easy task either. SR wound up with MC and BR. Playing MC BR and LA the first three weeks was rough.

This is not an easy task for the AD’s and the coaches, plus adding three new teams into the league.

Not a big fan of the four team divisions. You win 2 or 3 division games and get to claim you are champs? No thanks.

The divisions are scheduling tools. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: MC63 and Quags57
This band of merry men shall be from this point forward called The CCL College of Cardinals. And as all of us devout Catholics know the leader of this pious group is none other that the Dean of the College of Cardinals.
The CCL / Elite Select College of Cardinals.

Reactions: RockSoup and eireog
This is not an easy task for the AD’s and the coaches, plus adding three new teams into the league.
The three new teams are coming from a conference that had some... less than stellar... games. As a result, their placements based on record alone is probably not the best course of action. Strength of schedule should matter. That being said, those already in the conference aren't going to want to voluntarily make their schedules harder just because others are joining. Saying it will work itself out in a couple years seems to really put the screws to next year's senior classes for those schools joining.

The three new teams are coming from a conference that had some... less than stellar... games. As a result, their placements based on record alone is probably not the best course of action. Strength of schedule should matter. That being said, those already in the conference aren't going to want to voluntarily make their schedules harder just because others are joining. Saying it will work itself out in a couple years seems to really put the screws to next year's senior classes for those schools joining.
So ICCP and SF can’t find opponents to schedule 5 wins the next 2 seasons? Hard to believe playoffs are on the top of ACC’s mind so that’s why I single out the other two. Just hard to believe the complaining is coming from these two schools imo based on the lack of overall conference competition they’ve had previously.

So ICCP and SF can’t find opponents to schedule 5 wins the next 2 seasons? Hard to believe playoffs are on the top of ACC’s mind so that’s why I single out the other two. Just hard to believe the complaining is coming from these two schools imo based on the lack of overall conference competition they’ve had previously.
I can't speak for either one of the schools. I just don't see how it wouldn't involve them in some way. I understand wanting whatever negotiations that are going on to be behind closed doors until its packaged up with a nice little bow, but there's just enough info leaking or supposedly leaking that is giving everything a bad look and instead letting the rumor and speculation mills run rampant.

Not a big fan of the four team divisions. You win 2 or 3 division games and get to claim you are champs? No thanks.

The divisions are scheduling tools. Nothing more, nothing less.
I’d like the postseason awards to not reflect divisions so much. Not to take accolades away from the kids, and I know I’m knit picking, but I feel like this number is excessive for a 22 team/6 division league: 150 all-conference players, 9 LMOY, 8 COY, 8 OPOY, 7DPOY.

If IC was good enough to beat a majority of them in a year and not have injuries, they'd win the title in 3/4A every year.
This schedule looks difficult but not crazy for a school like IC.

Sure underdog against LA and Marist
Underdog against Naz
Pick ‘em (perhaps very slight dog)- Fenwick and St Francis
Should be favored-Benet and Pats

In fairness, I don’t know what they have locked in non conference. But if they got two relative punching bags, they should be able to beat Benet and Pats to get to four wins and then have a toss up chance against fenwick, Francis, or even Naz.

It’s a tough schedule for sure. Feasibility goes up if they have a light non con schedule.

I’d like the postseason awards to not reflect divisions so much. Not to take accolades away from the kids, and I know I’m knit picking, but I feel like this number is excessive for a 22 team/6 division league: 150 all-conference players, 9 LMOY, 8 COY, 8 OPOY, 7DPOY.
Has to be done this way because not all coaches will see all players outside their respective division. I’d prefer fewer divisions and fewer crossover games which would make these lists smaller, but that isn’t going to happen.

As far as 4 teams in a conference, no one is volunteering to be the 7th team or more in a larger conference. What the the merger helped in spades was scheduling the other sports baseball, lacrosse, basketball etc

This schedule looks difficult but not crazy for a school like IC.

Sure underdog against LA and Marist
Underdog against Naz
Pick ‘em (perhaps very slight dog)- Fenwick and St Francis
Should be favored-Benet and Pats

In fairness, I don’t know what they have locked in non conference. But if they got two relative punching bags, they should be able to beat Benet and Pats to get to four wins and then have a toss up chance against fenwick, Francis, or even Naz.

It’s a tough schedule for sure. Feasibility goes up if they have a light non con schedule.
If the non-cons are at the beginning of the season, then you run the gauntlet the rest of the season, what sort of condition are you in for round 1 of the playoffs? Its one thing to enter playoffs 9-0, because it means round 1 is likely to be a rest week, so any injuries have time to be addressed, but if you're entering 5-4, your opponent is likely to be decent.

I fully support swinging up to prepare for playoffs, but what value is there to a team like IC to walk into 3 games knowing you're very unlikely to win and then sprinkle in a few more tough calls? A pick 'em coming off a back to back LA/Marist run isn't a pick 'em at that point, its probably another dog. Again, where's the value in that?

@DeanOfSelection , what were the Francis match-ups?

If the non-cons are at the beginning of the season, then you run the gauntlet the rest of the season, what sort of condition are you in for round 1 of the playoffs? Its one thing to enter playoffs 9-0, because it means round 1 is likely to be a rest week, so any injuries have time to be addressed, but if you're entering 5-4, your opponent is likely to be decent.

I fully support swinging up to prepare for playoffs, but what value is there to a team like IC to walk into 3 games knowing you're very unlikely to win and then sprinkle in a few more tough calls? A pick 'em coming off a back to back LA/Marist run isn't a pick 'em at that point, its probably another dog. Again, where's the value in that?

@DeanOfSelection , what were the Francis match-ups?
And, there's no guarantee they would have gotten to 5 wins in a schedule like that. You could well have been looking at an odds on favorite 3A state champ not even qualifying for the playoffs.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT