ADVERTISEMENT

CCL/ESCC Weekly Power Rankings (Week 4)

ESCC fan

Nov 15, 2003
What a week it was. A game of the year candidate. Teams fighting for their playoff lives. What more could you want!

1. Loyola (4-0): The locker room-less Ramblers win a shootout on the Southside. Another test awaits against the Friars. (last week: 1)
2. Brother Rice (3-1): Went toe-to-toe against Loyola. Breather this week vs De La Salle. (last week: 3)
3. Mount Carmel (4-0): Solid win on the road at Marist. Better not overlook Iggy this week with Brother Rice looming in Week 6. (last week: 2)
4. JCA (4-0): I foolishly ranked the HIlltoppers too low last week. Is it too early to start talking about the week 7 showdown between Brother Rice and JCA? (last week: 6)
5. Marist (3-1): No shame losing to the Caravan. Marist is a really good team, just a step below the other Blue squads. (last week: 4)
6. St. Rita (2-2): A bit of a ho-hum 21-0 win over a down Benet team. Would have liked to see more offense. (last week: 5)
7. Ignatius (4-0): A nice win on the road against a good Marmion team. (last week: 9)
8. Providence (2-2): Ran into a buzzsaw. (last week: 7)
9. Fenwick (3-1): Nice bounce back win for the Friars. Good test this week. (last week: 8)
10. Naz (1-3): Won a must-win game. (last week: 11)
11. Marmion (3-1) (last week: 10)
12. St. Patrick (3-1): Feels weird bumping the Shamrocks after they only beat Marian Catholic by 1 point... (last week: 13)
13. St. Laurence (2-2): Big bump after a nice road win over Montini (last week: 16)
14. St. Viator (2-2): Impressive road win over Carmel. (last week: 20)
15. ND (0-4): Schedule opens up a bit for ND. Still a sliver of hope in Niles. (last week: 15)
16. Benet (1-3) (last week: 17)
17. Montini (2-2) (last week: 12)
18. Marian Catholic (1-3): The Spartans looks to have a solid team this year. Five wins isn't out of the question. (last week: 21)
19. De La Salle (2-2) (last week: 19)
20. Carmel (2-2) (last week: 14)
21. Leo (2-2) (last week: 22)
22. Marian Central Catholic (2-1) (last week: 18)
23. DePaul (2-2) (last week: 23)

Last edited:
What a week it was. A game of the year candidate. Teams fighting for their playoff lives. What more could you want!

1. Loyola (4-0): The locker room-less Ramblers win a shootout on the Southside. Another test awaits against the Friars. (last week: 1)
2. Brother Rice (3-1): Went toe-to-toe against Loyola. Breather this week vs De La Salle. (last week: 3)
3. Mount Carmel (4-0): Solid win on the road at Marist. Better not overlook Iggy this week with Brother Rice looming in Week 6. (last week: 2)
4. JCA (4-0): I foolishly ranked the HIlltoppers too low last week. Is it too early to start talking about the week 7 showdown between Brother Rice and JCA? (last week: 6)
5. Marist (3-1): No shame losing to the Caravan. Marist is a really good team, just a step below the other Blue squads. (last week: 4)
6. St. Rita (2-2): A bit of a ho-hum 21-0 win over a down Benet team. Would have liked to see more offense. (last week: 5)
7. Ignatius (4-0): A nice win on the road against a good Marmion team. (last week: 9)
8. Providence (2-2): Ran into a buzzsaw. (last week: 7)
9. Fenwick (3-1): Nice bounce back win for the Friars. Good test this week. (last week: 8)
10. Naz (1-3): Won a must-win game. Still have Rita and Providence on the schedule so it'll be a fight to get to 5-4 (last week: 11)
11. Marmion (3-1) (last week: 10)
12. St. Patrick (3-1): Feels weird bumping the Shamrocks after they only beat Marian Catholic by 1 point... (last week: 13)
13. St. Laurence (2-2): Big bump after a nice road win over Montini (last week: 16)
14. St. Viator (2-2): Impressive road win over Carmel. (last week: 20)
15. ND (0-4): Schedule opens up a bit for ND. Still a sliver of hope in Niles. (last week: 15)
16. Benet (0-4) (last week: 17)
17. Montini (2-2) (last week: 12)
18. Marian Catholic (2-2): The Spartans looks to have a solid team this year. Five wins isn't out of the question. (last week: 21)
19. De La Salle (2-2) (last week: 19)
20. Carmel (2-2) (last week: 14)
21. Leo (2-2) (last week: 22)
22. Marian Central Catholic (2-1) (last week: 18)
23. DePaul (2-2) (last week: 23)
Naz doesn't have Provi on the schedule. Just Rita.

MC wins vs a very good Marist / Rice loses to a very good LA........Rice goes from 3rd to 2nd and MC goes from 2nd to 3rd......OK??

Reactions: Blue Ruin
I'd flip Leo and Carmel Catholic. They (Corsairs) have now regressed every game since week two vs. Lake Forest.

Credit to StV for punching CCHS in the mouth to start the game last week and then following through with making some big plays. They seemed to want it more IMO.

CCHS is in trouble again, similar to years past. They can't play defense.

MC wins vs a very good Marist / Rice loses to a very good LA........Rice goes from 3rd to 2nd and MC goes from 2nd to 3rd......OK??
Poor feeto 😢😢.

BR has the more experienced and talented team if they are healthy.

If Frazier and Pierce aren't available, the defense will continue to struggle.

Full strength BR 24-14.

MC 28-24 without two starting DL.

O'Brien and Lynch deserve credit for getting the young caravan to perform at such a high level.

Yes--at least that's how I see it. Don't make me have JCA leapfrog MC next!

Poor feeto 😢😢.

BR has the more experienced and talented team if they are healthy.

If Frazier and Pierce aren't available, the defense will continue to struggle.

Full strength BR 24-14.

MC 28-24 without two starting DL.

O'Brien and Lynch deserve credit for getting the young caravan to perform at such a high level.
They both should be back for MC.

It doesn’t make any sense, but it’s just this guys opinion in his weekly post. MC beat Marist without their 2 year starter on the DL Elliott Lewis, out with a shoulder injury. Brought up Soph Tavon Rice and he was outstanding. Next man up.

It doesn’t make any sense, but it’s just this guys opinion in his weekly post. MC beat Marist without their 2 year starter on the DL Elliott Lewis, out with a shoulder injury. Brought up Soph Tavon Rice and he was outstanding. Next man up.
And MC will be huge favorites at home vs BR. They’ve never been beaten on campus.

No one, not even Jack Lausch, will put up 40 points on Mount Carmel's defense.
If anyone can, it’ll be Jack Lausch. Last Rice/Carmel game at MC in ‘19 Lausch came in for injured QB……. First snap he ran it 70-80 yards as a sophomore. Loyola defense shuts out a very good Rochester offense and let’s up 43 points to BR and Jack Lausch. This kid is literally a game changer for sure. Go MC!!

Reactions: Gene K. and go_rice
If anyone can, it’ll be Jack Lausch. Last Rice/Carmel game at MC in ‘19 Lausch came in for injured QB……. First snap he ran it 70-80 yards as a sophomore. Loyola defense shuts out a very good Rochester offense and let’s up 43 points to BR and Jack Lausch. This kid is literally a game changer for sure. Go MC!!
That QB in 19 wasn’t injured, he got benched! How that QB beat out Lausch or the senior who was supposed to start the year stunned a lot of people. If Lausch starts the whole year they probably don’t lose to Laurence and Providence that year. I think the senior Smyth had a cannon, I was curious to what he would have done. He stayed at BR but left the program and played for one of those Prep School type programs in the Chicago area...he got a good college offer out of it. I think Wisconsin Whitewater.

Reactions: MC2023
No one, not even Jack Lausch, will put up 40 points on Mount Carmel's defense.
Defense wasn’t a main concern in my eyes coming into the year with 3 returning in the secondary in Arrington, Whaley, and 3 year starter JT Harris, plus speedster Jaden Bossie. Asher and Lewis on the line returned in a very deep defensive line. But the biggest difference has been Danny Novikas who is having a outstanding year. Double digit sacks on the season coming off the edge and this is against two of the best Tackles in the State in SRs Van Erickson and Marist Duece McGuire. He’s having a Jerry Schumacher type season and he’s only a Junior. Owen Shickel, also a Junior, is also coming in strong on defense, reminds me of Tom Egan in the 19 season. I’ll get more into this match up next week but the defense BR will see is going to be a lot faster then LA’s. They won’t let a WR get 6 yard separation on our DBs unless they slip or something. Bossie, Harris, Arrington and Whaley are too fast.

Defense wasn’t a main concern in my eyes coming into the year with 3 returning in the secondary in Arrington, Whaley, and 3 year starter JT Harris, plus speedster Jaden Bossie. Asher and Lewis on the line returned in a very deep defensive line. But the biggest difference has been Danny Novikas who is having a outstanding year. Double digit sacks on the season coming off the edge and this is against two of the best Tackles in the State in SRs Van Erickson and Marist Duece McGuire. He’s having a Jerry Schumacher type season and he’s only a Junior. Owen Shickel, also a Junior, is also coming in strong on defense, reminds me of Tom Egan in the 19 season. I’ll get more into this match up next week but the defense BR will see is going to be a lot faster then LA’s. They won’t let a WR get 6 yard separation on our DBs unless they slip or something. Bossie, Harris, Arrington and Whaley are too fast.
Agreed. MC has the best defense in the CCL and it might not be close. I anticipate Week 6 being in the teens/twenties. Will come down to turnovers, special teams, the bounce of the ball...

That QB in 19 wasn’t injured, he got benched! How that QB beat out Lausch or the senior who was supposed to start the year stunned a lot of people. If Lausch starts the whole year they probably don’t lose to Laurence and Providence that year. I think the senior Smyth had a cannon, I was curious to what he would have done. He stayed at BR but left the program and played for one of those Prep School type programs in the Chicago area...he got a good college offer out of it. I think Wisconsin Whitewater.
So if I’m not mistaken, that was the year 3 ex St. Christina players were starting at 3 high schools at QB. Lynch at MC, Johnson at St. Rita and ? at Brother Rice. Was his last name Summers? Not to be confused with the WR from same team. I thought he was injured in MC game when Lausch came into game. Who was the starter at Rice in ‘18 when they lost in state championship?

So if I’m not mistaken, that was the year 3 ex St. Christina players were starting at 3 high schools at QB. Lynch at MC, Johnson at St. Rita and ? at Brother Rice. Was his last name Summers? Not to be confused with the WR from same team. I thought he was injured in MC game when Lausch came into game. Who was the starter at Rice in ‘18 when they lost in state championship?
Ben Somers was QB1 as a junior in 2019. I think he was little banged up throughout the season but it was definitely time to give Lausch a chance after that first half first MC.

Somers ended up starting at DB as a senior for the spring season.

Reactions: MC2023
Ben Somers was QB1 as a junior in 2019. I think he was little banged up throughout the season but it was definitely time to give Lausch a chance after that first half first MC.

Somers ended up starting at DB as a senior for the spring season.
For sure. No argument there! Who started at QB for rice in ‘18?

John Bean. In the semi-finals versus Marist, his foot injury was a major setback. A run-first quarterback who couldn't run. In the 18' finals, a healthy John Bean wins that game. The defense of the 18' team was the best in BR history.
Thank you. And you’re absolutely right.

Owen Schickel's forced fumble in the Marist game reminded me of Marty O'Brien's forced fumble in the Loyola game two years ago. It may have saved the game and could set the tone for all the games to follow. If Schickel is like Tommy Egan, Novickas is like Austin Haygood, although the comparison to Jerry Schumacher is valid.

Last edited:
That QB in 19 wasn’t injured, he got benched!
Ben Somers. Badke made the switch at halftime because it was 28-0. Lit a fire under the team because they made it a much more interesting game in the 2nd half.

John Bean. In the semi-finals versus Marist, his foot injury was a major setback. A run-first quarterback who couldn't run. In the 18' finals, a healthy John Bean wins that game. The defense of the 18' team was the best in BR history.
No lies detected. Bean was on 1 foot in the 2nd half of the '18 state title game.

Reactions: Gene K.
No lies detected. Bean was on 1 foot in the 2nd half of the '18 state title game.
I’ll still never understand how Badke let him play the 2nd half when it was apparent he was so injured he couldn’t play his game.

Reactions: feeto
I’ll still never understand how Badke let him play the 2nd half when it was apparent he was so injured he couldn’t play his game.
If there was a competent backup, I didn’t see him play all year. Maybe during garbage time of a blow out. Bean was a senior in the state championship game so depending who the backup was, it might not have made to sense to make the switch at that time even with Bean’s injury. Lausch would‘ve been a freshman - no clue if he dressed for that game.

If there was a competent backup, I didn’t see him play all year. Maybe during garbage time of a blow out. Bean was a senior in the state championship game so depending who the backup was, it might not have made to sense to make the switch at that time even with Bean’s injury. Lausch would‘ve been a freshman - no clue if he dressed for that game.
Smyth was the Jr. backup. He started a game earlier in the year when Bean was out and did well, and was the starter as a Freshman and Soph for his class. Knock was he had a mobility problem so maybe they thought Bean at half speed was on the same level as Smyth at full speed. If he got hurt vs. Marist then Smyth should have got a lot of work in practice that week....they also had a MC transfer Anthony Matejko but he was like 5'6...ran the veer well but passing was so-so. I think Badke decided they were going to Sail or Sink with the Ship that got them there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT