ADVERTISEMENT

Byron vs Montini

I don’t know if it was intentional or just from overuse, but I’ve seen Wilmo go up there once and Reed-Custer twice, and each time the field was a slick, muddy mess.
I didn't see either RC game and a muddy track would favor Wilmington just as much as Byron. Some grass fields are crowned better than others and drain well. Wilmington is fortunate to have one of the better grass fields.

I saw Byron play once this year and they won big. Their ground game just devours opponents
Byron’s best competition in the regular season was Dixon. When Sterling was in Dixons conference Sterling would running clock them most games. I’ve watched Montini stop sterling teams that devoured opponents like Dixon and Montini blew them out at least two different times in the playoffs where they can’t even score, Montini would be competitive in 7A but they are playing a team that plays a typical 3A schedule, yes they have devoured those teams but I’ve witnessed it more than once where a team like that looks totally different against a good CCL team. I still say Montini wins by two scores. I honestly don’t have a clue on either team but just an opinion on a public 3A school playing a CCL team that usually plays up with the big boys.

Byron’s best competition in the regular season was Dixon. When Sterling was in Dixons conference Sterling would running clock them most games. I’ve watched Montini stop sterling teams that devoured opponents like Dixon and Montini blew them out at least two different times in the playoffs where they can’t even score, Montini would be competitive in 7A but they are playing a team that plays a typical 3A schedule, yes they have devoured those teams but I’ve witnessed it more than once where a team like that looks totally different against a good CCL team. I still say Montini wins by two scores. I honestly don’t have a clue on either team but just an opinion on a public 3A school playing a CCL team that usually plays up with the big boys.
I think you need to brush up on Byron playoff history. It’s not like this team was magically good this year as a one off. And their opponent isn’t the 72 dolphins.

I think you need to brush up on Byron playoff history. It’s not like this team was magically good this year as a one off. And their opponent isn’t the 72 dolphins.
I know Byron’s history in the 3A playoffs. And this seems like the best team yet. I also know Montini history in 5A playoffs, I’ll give you this Montini team may not be as good some in the past but I still think they win.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I'm aware of the class there in, They still coming up short Saturday

Another reason I pick Byron is I think you really need at least one star player on your team to make it to the finals and win state.

Byron has Considine, Mt Carmel has Sisson and I am not familiar with Roxana.

Montini always had at least that one star player during their deep runs in the past but this year's team has no stars.

Montini Jr/Sr class did have a couple stars but one left to IMG Academy and is a Georgia commit and the other left and will play for Notre Dame next year.

I just feel you need at least one star on the team to make it to the finals. Hopefully I am.wrong about this.

Byron wins by 20+. IMO, it might get really ugly Lombard.
I think it's closer than that, but I can see the L happening. 7-10 point game either direction, IMO. but I've been wrong plenty on these!

I think it's closer than that, but I can see the L happening. 7-10 point game either direction, IMO. but I've been wrong plenty on these!
I don't know, man. Looking at who Montini has played and even beaten, they're a tough matchup

I don't know, man. Looking at who Montini has played and even beaten, they're a tough matchup
There's no question Montini had the tougher schedule, but at the same time they haven't exaclty steamrolled through the 3A playoffs. If they play like they did against Princeton then I can see Byron running out ahead and Montini trying to play catch up.

Montini needs long touchdown drives in this game to have a chance. And play mistake free - no turnovers, penalties or mental mistakes. As Wassup13 stated - Montini struggles against running teams, going all the way back to Geneseo in 1982.

• Haha
Reactions: stonedlizard
There's no question Montini had the tougher schedule, but at the same time they haven't exaclty steamrolled through the 3A playoffs. If they play like they did against Princeton then I can see Byron running out ahead and Montini trying to play catch up.
What makes you think Byron is better than Princeton? Princeton steam rolled everyone this year too just like Byron, except a fluky week 1 and Montini won comfortably. I think this game will be about the same result.

Princeton is quite probably the 3rd best 3A team in the field and Montini beat them by 18 points. The other 2 games were over when the other team got off the bus.

What makes you think Byron is better than Princeton? Princeton steam rolled everyone this year too just like Byron, except a fluky week 1 and Montini won comfortably. I think this game will be about the same result.
Because Princeton lost earlier this year to a 1A Morrison team. And the second best team in the NUIC - the best small school conference in the state, got smoked by Byron.

I find it hilarious that the small schools in this state get so little respect.

As someone put it, “small town football in a corn field.”

Princeton is quite probably the 3rd best 3A team in the field and Montini beat them by 18 points. The other 2 games were over when the other team got off the bus.
Yes, Montini pulled away in the 2nd half, but Princeton shut them out in the first half and were able to move the ball. They had 3 (?) drives in the first half alone that stalled inside the Montini 10. One was a missed FG, one was a turnover on downs, and the other they made a FG. I'm saying that if Byron can move the ball as well as Princeton they'll be able to finish those drives.

Last edited:
Reactions: McEvergreen
W
Watching games of both teams instead of just guessing and spewing based on a quick evaluation of scores

Really interesting matchup. I tend to think Byron hasn't played anyone yet, Montini has.

Wow, I know they leagalized recreational used since we left IL but are they giving weed away for free now? Seems there are some interesting and broad calls for this game!
This waltz into Edgy Forum every year at playoff time is gold. We just need a few others to jump in, like @capnbillhitters

Really interesting matchup. I tend to think Byron hasn't played anyone yet, Montini

W

Watching games of both teams instead of just guessing and spewing based on a quick evaluation of scores
My basis had nothing to do with scores but who they have played
Seeing and knowing what you're watching are two different things.
well we will just have to wait till Saturday to see if I know what I’m talking about, by the way, I’m tied for first place in the 3A Edgy pic em so I must know something.

Reactions: Alexander32
Byron has two all-staters in the backfield and they are under classmen?? Loaded
Al Bundy was an All-stater you know 4TDs Polk high school!
to-the-legendary-man-who-scored-4-touchdowns-in-1-game-v0-8ni64kda5xnb1.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT