ADVERTISEMENT

Bro Rice 0 v Warren 28 FINAL

Great post Corey! Good luck to the Griffins!

Thanks Bowie50
It should be a great game. East is explosive and can score in a hurry. If East scores early It will be interesting to see how Warren handles coming from behind. Warrens D will certainly test East’s offense but don’t fall a sleep on East’s defense I am betting that it will be the best defense Warren has seen this year. It should be a very tough battle because I believe both teams play disciplined defense. East should have the advantage on offense. I give East’s special teams the advantage because their punter/kicker. I don’t know who wins but if I had to bet I put my money on East and coach Z. They have been their before and know how to handle the pressure. This is Warrens first trip to the big show. IMO The team that makes the fewest mistakes wins.
Go East!

Reactions: Bowie50
Sober as a judge.
I’m in shock that you guys think the IHSA likes dealing with catholic schools.
It is what it is but that’s the reality.
Do you know who runs the IHSA and this goes back to the earlier 70s

Why does any of this matter after your game last night?

Reactions: crusaderpride
I don’t understand how the topic got on the IHSA and not liking Catholic schools? The BR & Marist lost to better teams. I know a lot of the private guys we’re rooting for them, some saying how cool it would be if the catholics had a clean sweep. It was posted in another thread. I believe the two best teams won and deserve to be in the final. I also believe the two teams that lost should hold their heads high as they are also very good and have a bright futures. Remember someone has to lose. It sucks I get it.

I don’t understand how the topic got on the IHSA and not liking Catholic schools? The BR & Marist lost to better teams. I know a lot of the private guys we’re rooting for them, some saying how cool it would be if the catholics had a clean sweep. It was posted in another thread. I believe the two best teams won and deserve to be in the final. I also believe the two teams that lost should hold their heads high as they are also very good and have a bright futures. Remember someone has to lose. It sucks I get it.

Here's why Cory...
IHSA got what they wanted

Rice / Marist would’ve been a great story for the SWside that’s it. What you have for State is the 2 best teams in 8A gonna knock it around...on the flip side you have the best 7A teams in Naz and MC playing. To me, as a fan of high school football, Saturday is gonna be alright for fighting because that’s what’s I’m gonna be seeing. 2 heavyweight matches. Cannot wait and I cannot wait until next season either. I guess I’m just an anxious dude.

Rice / Marist would’ve been a great story for the SWside that’s it. What you have for State is the 2 best teams in 8A gonna knock it around...on the flip side you have the best 7A teams in Naz and MC playing. To me, as a fan of high school football, Saturday is gonna be alright for fighting because that’s what’s I’m gonna be seeing. 2 heavyweight matches. Cannot wait and I cannot wait until next season either. I guess I’m just an anxious dude.
Marq
Great post!

Love the Elton John reference...

Di
Thanks Bowie50
It should be a great game. East is explosive and can score in a hurry. If East scores early It will be interesting to see how Warren handles coming from behind. Warrens D will certainly test East’s offense but don’t fall a sleep on East’s defense I am betting that it will be the best defense Warren has seen this year. It should be a very tough battle because I believe both teams play disciplined defense. East should have the advantage on offense. I give East’s special teams the advantage because their punter/kicker. I don’t know who wins but if I had to bet I put my money on East and coach Z. They have been their before and know how to handle the pressure. This is Warrens first trip to the big show. IMO The team that makes the fewest mistakes wins.
Go East!

Warren didn’t kick a field goal, but their kicker/punter was pretty phenomenal. Absolute boot. I know east kid is good but kid from Warren can’t be far behind.

Warren DBs can be taken advantage of by East. Look to see #3 running by some cats...

Di

Warren didn’t kick a field goal, but their kicker/punter was pretty phenomenal. Absolute boot. I know east kid is good but kid from Warren can’t be far behind.

Warren DBs can be taken advantage of by East. Look to see #3 running by some cats...

I would hold judgement on that until you see him kick in person. I’ve never seen the ball come off the foot of a high schooler like his does. The height he gets on his kickoffs and punts is absurd. I’d be shocked if any other HS kicker in the state is anywhere close to him, no matter how good they are. He’s as much of a game changer as a kicker could possibly be.

Warren will be the underdog ...they will play with a chip on there shoulder ... home of six flags ! They have been under appreciated all year. Next opponent up. Stay tuned!

I would hold judgement on that until you see him kick in person. I’ve never seen the ball come off the foot of a high schooler like his does. The height he gets on his kickoffs and punts is absurd. I’d be shocked if any other HS kicker in the state is anywhere close to him, no matter how good they are. He’s as much of a game changer as a kicker could possibly be.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised! Warren's kicker (Saul) is going to ISU. Kohl's Profressional Camp's have him listed ahead of Dom by one spot, not that that means a whole lot.

I've seen a lot of hs football and it's not too often you have a couple D1 kickers going at it. Should be a great ST match-up!

Reactions: Gene K.
Thanks for acknowledging Warren special teams and Warren ST .... is not just the kicking game. They look to block kicks and tackle well on punts and kick offs. Home of six flags !
Yeah, they double-thud'd a Rice field goal and it felt like they were in danger of blocking every punt after that.

Good luck to the Blue Devils, best team we saw this year. That said, proud of the Crusaders, anyone that saw the game would agree, we had our chances. The better team won. I’m concerned about who is going to be manning the Eagle & the Demon on Saturday if that whole township heads to DeKalb.

Hey @ref2 - Have a Q for you.

What are the rules regarding aiding a runner? With a min left in the 3rd up 7-0, Warren was facing 3rd and 30. They ran the ball - after a short gain the RB was stood up and driven backwards. Then, his OL catches him and pushes forward while two other OL pull him out of the pile.

He bursts free, fumbles, wr scoops and scores for 70 yd touchdown. This ended up being the nail in the coffin for rice.

I saw a clip on Twitter but will have to try to find it.

Aiding the runner is a penalty, correct?

Not saying Rice wins if goes other way, but very unfortunate for BR D to be playing an awesome game to have an unfortunate play like this happen that IMO should have been blown dead. If right call is made (IMO), Warren has 4th & 30 and punts to BR to start the 4th down 7-0. Who knows what happens...

NFHS Rule 9.4.1 - It is acceptable to assist a runner as part of a pile or moving the pile with the runner associated with that pile. To directly assist the runner, that is not a legal play. I never got a good look at it but it looked like No. 3 from Warren was a part of the pile that kept moving. Forward progress was not stopped as the pile kept moving. if he was aided individually, I couldn't tell from the replays I saw. Also looked like the White hate and side judge were right there too. That's a real tough call to make because it has to be obvious.

Reactions: 3OrangeWhips
Hey @ref2 - Have a Q for you.

What are the rules regarding aiding a runner? With a min left in the 3rd up 7-0, Warren was facing 3rd and 30. They ran the ball - after a short gain the RB was stood up and driven backwards. Then, his OL catches him and pushes forward while two other OL pull him out of the pile.

He bursts free, fumbles, wr scoops and scores for 70 yd touchdown. This ended up being the nail in the coffin for rice.

I saw a clip on Twitter but will have to try to find it.

Aiding the runner is a penalty, correct?

Not saying Rice wins if goes other way, but very unfortunate for BR D to be playing an awesome game to have an unfortunate play like this happen that IMO should have been blown dead. If right call is made (IMO), Warren has 4th & 30 and punts to BR to start the 4th down 7-0. Who knows what happens...
Here's the play:

Thanks @dweise for finding the vid.

@LakeCtyNewt hmm. Would a RB getting tackled by a few defenders be considered a pile? I feel like this one is directly assisting the runner.

Vid isn't super clear but kind of reassures what I thought I saw. BR is driving him back until OL catches him and starts pushing. Then, other OL pull him away. I thought you can push a pile but didn't think an OL (or two) can grab the RB and pull him...

Someone drop the hudl tape of this play! Lol.

Hopefully BR uses this in defensive meetings day one to teach to play to the whistle. Whether it should have been blown dead or not, no BR kids should be standing near the pile watching.

Pulling for you guys, Newt. That 56 deserves a ring...absolute monster.

I would've bet my bottom dollar that the play was dead when I saw it live. (I was along the fence of the track on the opposite side of the field in front of the concession stand) Upon review of that video, it appears it never really died. Absolute death blow.

Reactions: Oop-dee-oop_4
Here is the thing. If you play to the whistle you can get an unnecessary roughness penalty as the "play kills itself". Rice was called for this earlier in the game so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Listen guys this happens at every level ... it never gets called. Derrick (6'0 210lbs RB) never stops running down hill ... he is big, stromg and powerful. He wears on his opponents. His linemen always block until whistle blows. WR's block and run in front or behind the ball every play. The real question is ... do your team players do the same. Mcnulty makes his kids play until the whistle blows. They lift weights all season. He runs his program like a college program - if you do not follow rules you do not play. Kids are discplined and play with physicality.. Just my 2 cents !

Listen guys this happens at every level ... it never gets called. Derrick (6'0 210lbs RB) never stops running down hill ... he is big, stromg and powerful. He wears on his opponents. His linemen always block until whistle blows. WR's block and run in front or behind the ball every play. The real question is ... do your team players do the same. Mcnulty makes his kids play until the whistle blows. They lift weights all season. He runs his program like a college program - if you do not follow rules you do not play. Kids are discplined and play with physicality.. Just my 2 cents !
this is unbelievable,
Is McNulty William Wallace

Reactions: mchsalumni
Did they just figure this out in 2019 cause didnt work out last year against Rice.

Its called building a program which McNulty inherited 4 years ago. Let's see how Warren looks over the next several years. The Warren Heavyweight youth program won the super bowl this year .... just like singleton, juan, seamus did 4 years ago. The current unit is not surprised they are where they are. Public school programs have to build from the surrounding communities not recruit .... that is the facts. So that's why it did not happen last year at rice. Wish every program good luck going into next year. Warren varsity and top Soph/JV kids will be starting external training in Dec and getting ready to compete/showcase in Jan ... getting ready for college camping next June. There is a formula .... the question is can you get enough kids to participate and buy into the extra work. If you are getting ready for 8A football in may/june its too late. Most coaches do not have enogh time to build elite programs in 10 weeks prior to game #1 in late Aug. Home of six flags ....

Reactions: kitty_bintingot
Its called building a program which McNulty inherited 4 years ago. Let's see how Warren looks over the next several years. The Warren Heavyweight youth program won the super bowl this year .... just like singleton, juan, seamus did 4 years ago. The current unit is not surprised they are where they are. Public school programs have to build from the surrounding communities not recruit .... that is the facts. So that's why it did not happen last year at rice. Wish every program good luck going into next year. Warren varsity and top Soph/JV kids will be starting external training in Dec and getting ready to compete/showcase in Jan ... getting ready for college camping next June. There is a formula .... the question is can you get enough kids to participate and buy into the extra work. If you are getting ready for 8A football in may/june its too late. Most coaches do not have enogh time to build elite programs in 10 weeks prior to game #1 in late Aug. Home of six flags ....
I think that's what most successful programs do. Be glad they got someone that knows what they're doing but he's not reinventing the wheel.

Reactions: USD24

And you think Warren is doing things different than the other power programs in the state? IMO I think Warren is just figuring it out and is starting to see the payoff. East will be ready for Warren trust me.

Bolingbrook was on their side of the bracket.
Yes. I just listed the 8A teams I don't think BR would have beaten. I think they beat the rest. Previously I would have added Oswego, HC, Minooka, and Eddie.

But it doesn't matter now. The only thing that does is LWE and Warren.

If it is not new .... why programs cannot follow the formula? Because every coach and player do not follow the formula because of the commit & resoures required by many does not hapoen. I attend the showcase/camps and know all of the key training facilities ... you do not see a ton players putting in that work. I know the programs and playets who are doing it and they are same ones who are playing late into playoffs.

Looked through Warren's FB twitter account to see if they post about this. I didn't see any behind the scenes content but good lord Singleton can squat a house.

Who runs your strength and conditioning program @micahjones ? They deserve a raise

Reactions: Gene K. and Bowie50
If it is not new .... why programs cannot follow the formula? Because every coach and player do not follow the formula because of the commit & resoures required by many does not hapoen. I attend the showcase/camps and know all of the key training facilities ... you do not see a ton players putting in that work. I know the programs and playets who are doing it and they are same ones who are playing late into playoffs.

Programs do follow the formula. The dozen to 20 programs that are successful year in and out have been doing all the things you mention for years.

If it is not new .... why programs cannot follow the formula? Because every coach and player do not follow the formula because of the commit & resoures required by many does not hapoen. I attend the showcase/camps and know all of the key training facilities ... you do not see a ton players putting in that work. I know the programs and players who are doing it and they are same ones who are playing late into playoffs.

Why wasn't Warren doing this sooner?

Here's a list of hard core programs who have trained like this year round, for decades:

LWE
MC
MCHS
Naz
ESL
MS
LA
SHG
JCA
Brook

I'm sure I'm missing plenty here. Just a jumping off point to share that this isn't revolutionary on Warren's part. It's the cost of doing business for high level programs.

Welcome to the club Warren.

Coach Mika follows Coach Balis Notre Dame Head strength and conditioning coach program. Plus mac supports kids using external training facilities and encourages off season competition and skill development. By the time your top guys show up at jume high school and college camps they are primed and ready to go. All strength training is internal!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT