ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest surprises of the weekend

PowerI66

Oct 11, 2012
What were the shockers? I feel like everything was generally status quo this weekend given the circumstances

That I was a good boy on Friday night for dinner at Frankie's Deli stayed to no meat and had the pepper and egg sandwich....which was amazing but passing up the meatball, chicken parm etc was not easy.

Friday was St. Joseph's day. You can eat meat on that day.

During Lent, Catholics are asked to refrain from eating meat during all Fridays in Lent until Easter (April 4). However, today is March 19, which is the feast day of St. Joseph, which is considered a solemnity by the church. According to church law — specifically canon law (1251), if you’re curious — you can eat meat today.

Can. 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

During Lent, Catholics are asked to refrain from eating meat during all Fridays in Lent until Easter (April 4). However, today is March 19, which is the feast day of St. Joseph, which is considered a solemnity by the church. According to church law — specifically canon law (1251), if you’re curious — you can eat meat today.
Naw I'll just stay the course :)

All these loopholes. :D Can't eat meat on Ash Wednesday or any Friday during Lent. BUT, it's fine for one Friday. And you can eat meat all the other days. I just learned about St. Joseph's day last Friday. But, I had grilled salmon and lobster bisque anyway.

Since the mid 80s I have been giving up alcohol for Lent. Not all years. Took a couple off in the late 80s and last year seemed pointless when crap hit the fan. But, I am back at it this year.

Ten years or so ago I had a friend who told me I could have alcohol on Sundays during Lent and it is OK. I looked at him like he had 3 eyes. At first I thought he was kidding and it took a while for him to convince me. But, I guess it's true. I asked him what the point was to give something up and break that commitment each Sunday. Then I asked him if something new was discovered. Did Jesus come back from his fasting in the desert on Sundays or something? When did this change and why wasn't I informed right away?

I am no religious scholar. Lent is longer now than it was when I was a kid. I guess it's longer for those people "giving up" things to go back on, on Sundays. Silly. Then I read Lent ends when the evening Mass of the Lord's Supper begins on Thursday. Then I read, Lent ends on the Saturday before Easter. For me? I am just keeping it it simple with what I know and have done for decades. I give up alcohol on Ash Wednesday and don't touch it until Easter Sunday and sometimes not even on that day. I don't eat meat on Ash Wednesday or any Friday during Lent.

I told my friend that if he can't give up alcohol for 40+ consecutive days maybe the bottle is controlling him instead of him controlling the bottle. We had a good laugh.

Reactions: lookoutforliam
It use to be no meat every Friday, all year long. No meat at all during lent. (There was always the St. Patrick's day exemption, so KofC could sell sandwiches during St. Pat's dance.

That I was a good boy on Friday night for dinner at Frankie's Deli stayed to no meat and had the pepper and egg sandwich....which was amazing but passing up the meatball, chicken parm etc was not easy.

Don't sleep on that lobster bisque on Friday at Frankie's!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT