ADVERTISEMENT

Best Wednesday playoff game

I was a Junior when he was a Senior. Kid was a load. Glad to see he made good with his life. I remember our D Coordinator preaching all week that Vaughn wasn’t going to get 100 yards against us that year. Think they beat us 21-6 or something. Next day film session, we go over film and of course we are getting an earful. Films get over and one of my buddies, who could never miss a chance to dig up a laugh, raises his hand and says “well coach one good thing about last night, Vaughn didn’t get 100 yards, he had 200”. I think we ran sprints after films for the first time that season at that point lol
At that same ACC/Yorkville, I looked to the guy next to me that grew up in the same neighborhood and said "you ever see Robert run before?" and he replied, "Yeah, I saw him running through my back yard with a TV" :)

Reactions: Coalertown44
Any JCA guys remember the ‘83 game against Sterling? I wasn’t even a thought yet so I wasn’t around but I believe this one was a great (possibly) Wednesday game. Pretty sure JCA had a late td pass in the end to win 26-21.

I seem to recall Joliet Catholic being down early in this one. Memory somewhat faded, but down 14-0 early? Furious comeback. Then held off a final drive by Sterling deep in Joliet Catholic territory. From a competitive standpoint, may have been the most intense Wednesday game my Hillmen played, as the outcome was in doubt until the very end.

I seem to recall Joliet Catholic being down early in this one. Memory somewhat faded, but down 14-0 early? Furious comeback. Then held off a final drive by Sterling deep in Joliet Catholic territory. From a competitive standpoint, may have been the most intense Wednesday game my Hillmen played, as the outcome was in doubt until the very end.

that sounds exactly how i remember it. and yes, it was a Wednesday game. 26-21 jca, i think.

More competitive than the 3 OT game vs Crete-Monee in 86? That game ended on the last play of the game with CM getting stuffed on the 2 pt conversion.

Reactions: juschill
More competitive than the 3 OT game vs Crete-Monee in 86? That game ended on the last play of the game with CM getting stuffed on the 2 pt conversion.

Easy USD. The reason the Sterling game sticks out more to me, was the fact that in 1983 JCHS was favored to win 5A. Out of the blue, at least for the majority of us who knew little about Sterling, this became a game that was as close to slipping away as it was to winning. Not trying to slight your teams efforts in the least. Realistically, I doubt anyone expected the '86 team to do much in the playoffs. Was that a great game as well, certainly. That's why i rarely post about such things. Too easy to miss something, and very difficult to point out any single event.

You've got to know how I felt about your entire class. Incredible heart and work ethic led the way. The '87 team and the Class of '88 have always been one of my favorite years to remember.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, never knew this.
Dempsey Norman ended up at College of St. Francis in Joliet, awesome at that level and he played for the Barcelona Dragons.

1981 my Dad took me to a Wednesday game at Memorial Stadium, we saw Joliet Catholic win big over Rich Central. Joliet Catholic went on to win the 5A title over Deerfield at Dyche Stadium, great game.

Easy USD. The reason the Sterling game sticks out more to me, was the fact that in 1983 JHCS was favored to win 5A. Out of the blue, at least for the majority of us who knew little about Sterling, this became a game that was as close to slipping away as it was to winning. Not trying to slight your teams efforts in the least. Realistically, I doubt anyone expected the '86 team to do much in the playoffs. Was that a great game as well, certainly. That's why i rarely post about such things. Too easy to miss something, and very difficult to point out any single event.

You've got to know how I felt about your entire class. Incredible heart and work ethic led the way. The '87 team and the Class of '88 have always been one of my favorite years to remember.

I wasn't looking to contradict you, just wanted to get your reasoning. I always appreciate your Hilltopper knowledge. Hope all is well.

Nothing better than 3 games in 8 days. Loved it
Would live to see that format come back...Wednesday 1st Round Games.
Great for fans, but not so for student-athletes (academics & recovery time) and coaches (classroom duties & practice/game planning). You do not see something like this under any circumstances at other levels of play either.

Reactions: mchsalumni
Dempsey Norman ended up at College of St. Francis in Joliet, awesome at that level and he played for the Barcelona Dragons.

1981 my Dad took me to a Wednesday game at Memorial Stadium, we saw Joliet Catholic win big over Rich Central. Joliet Catholic went on to win the 5A title over Deerfield at Dyche Stadium, great game.
8-7 was the final score. We (Deerfield) missed a FG at the end.

Reactions: USD24
Rice over a highly ranked H-F in 1991. Current BR coach knocked down a last second pass attempt in the south end zone to secure the win.

Reactions: falconfish
Any JCA guys remember the ‘83 game against Sterling? I wasn’t even a thought yet so I wasn’t around but I believe this one was a great (possibly) Wednesday game. Pretty sure JCA had a late td pass in the end to win 26-21.
That was a great game! I was in the stands as a 10 year old and my brother was on the team at the time. I remember Sterling’s QB and receivers being really good. And JCHS was led by a pretty good QB too! - Pat Pesavento who later pitched at Notre Dame.

Reactions: Hillini74 and USD24
1976....Year 3 of the postseason. In the Wednesday round of the 4A playoffs (5A was for biggest schools back then) host Zion-Benton beat Woodstock 29-28.
These were not awesome teams as Z-B was easily ousted in the next round three days later. But for drama and a miracle finish, you will be hard-pressed to top the Z-B victory.
It was 43 years ago so sadly I can’t remember the details well other than the following:
Zion-Benton scored two touchdowns in the final minute (onside kick recovered) without Woodstock running an offensive play and won it with a Hail Mary pass into the end zone and a PAT kick with no time on the clock.
The lasting vision 43 years later is of the Woodstock defensive players sprawled out in the end zone in frustration and disappointment on consecutive plays .., the successful Hail Mary and then the ensuing PAT kick.
Bob Bradshaw was Woodstock’s legendary coach back then and I would guess he might say this loss was one of the most heartbreaking and frustrating of his career.
A half-dozen or so years later, Woodstock won it all, I believe with Beadshaw’s son leading the team at QB. The younger Bradshaw went on to play QB at Northwestern.
Forty-three years ago... i wish I could remember more details but I was in the jammed Z-B stands.
I am not positive but I think back then, home field in the Wednesday round was decided by a coin flip and that Woodstock had the better team on paper but suffered heartbreak in the field.
Again, not great teams, but s great finish, if this is what you were looking for.
I remember that game. I was 12 years old and listened to the game on the radio with my dad. Dave Mohap was a beast of a running back for Woodstock. He went on to UW and held some records there. He also coached football at an Illinois high school but I can’t remember where. My sister and brother were going to Woodcohigh then. My parents let me go to my first high school football games that year. Dave was my hero.

My heart was broken after that loss.

Greg Bradshaw was a 3 year starter at quarterback for Woodstock and led the team to the state championship in 83. He also started at qb for Northwestern 1year.

Greg’s son Brian was a 3 year qb starter at PR when my kids were there.

Bob Bradshaw was an assistant coach at PR at that time too.

Easy USD. The reason the Sterling game sticks out more to me, was the fact that in 1983 JCHS was favored to win 5A. Out of the blue, at least for the majority of us who knew little about Sterling, this became a game that was as close to slipping away as it was to winning. Not trying to slight your teams efforts in the least. Realistically, I doubt anyone expected the '86 team to do much in the playoffs. Was that a great game as well, certainly. That's why i rarely post about such things. Too easy to miss something, and very difficult to point out any single event.

Joliet East Kingsmen beat that very Sterling team the year before 20-12 in East last ever game!!!

Reactions: Hillini74
As a player I loved the Wednesday game. Junior year at JC, we beat Crete-Monee in a 3 overtime thriller when we stopped CM on a two point conversion in the third OT to win the game. My senior year in 87, we went to Bolingbrook on a beautiful Wednesday afternoon. Fell behind by two touchdowns early and rallied to beat The Brook 40-19 in route to the 5A title. Great memories. I know it will never come back, but as a player it was a great week. 3 games in 10 days.
I hated the matchup.I love all Sica/Illini 8 teams.Crete Monee Coach said they gave it away more than he lost it

1976 Joliet Central was ranked by papers and had to travel to meet Lake Park.

The weekend LP qualified our starting guards were both injured in an auto accident. We had to start back-ups. We went on to defeat Central 28-22. I learned (and this was very early in my 40 year coaching career) to trust that players could step in when needed. Now called the "next man up" concept. This revelation colored my coaching for the remainder of my career.

Sadly, we had to meet Joliet Catholic and Rick Thayer the following Saturday.
Joliet Central had some injuries too.Lake Park was 5-3-1.Mattio laughed about it at Marian and said he would have killed LP.He said that's what they get for voting in Central over us because they were scared to make Joliet Catholic mad

#2 1993 - St L vs Andrew - an Andrew team coached by former Viking Head Coach Mike O'Neill. St L wins on a late game 4th down and long mid field hook n' ladder play (some say hook n' lateral) . St L won 20-17
#1 1976 - St L vs Glenbrook North - a 9-0 defensive battle- the cool thing about this game was that our bleachers at GBN were empty but right at game time, droves of St L students and other fans arrive in mass - ST L goes on to win State
#3 1983 St L v Romeoville - down by 3 with 2 seconds left, the Vikes take over at their own 10 - a completed pass to near mid-field ends the game, BUT, a defensive player comes in late - march off 15 yards and the Vikes get an untimed extra down, a 45 FG ties it - we move to OT and lose by 6

That's all I got!.
Love my Vikings too!!! Funny thing.Another Illini 8/SICA Matchup vs the Vikings.I was down the middle.1983.As long as the school was open Romeoville kicked a field goal vs the Vikings.The big deal? It was the first field goal they made in school history!!!! I remember reading that with shock.Over 10 years and even much more if they included Lockport West in that!!! Same school, different name, different colors

Tinley Park squeaks by Rich South 14-7 in a Wednesday night game during their Class 4A (of 6 at that time) state title run in 1986.
Rich South had a few bad penalties against them that cost them the game.They always cried they got robbed.I just hated the Sica vs Sica matchup

Reactions: juschill
Too many to list.Before I ramble on with great memories I'll say this.My parents were all about education.With that said each year on Wednesday if Reavis was going to the playoffs my Mom & Dad worked a double on Monday to take Wednesday off.I did not go to school that day.I was at the playoff game but I was to make sure my grades were up or no go.If Reavis didn't get in My dad would work a double and we would support St.Laurence or one of the Illini 8/Sica teams.In High School if we didn't make the playoffs same thing.We would go support Oak Lawn or one of the Illini 8/Sica/St.Laurence teams.

Loving Reavis have to say the 82 game vs Thornton.Wildcats 6-3 had Reavis blow by blow.A pass interference late in the game helped Reavis pull it out late.After the game their announcer announced the East St Louis trashing of Sandburg who beat Reavis in OT by 1.Reavis was ready.1983 a bad round Dempsey Norman stud at Tilden ran over Reavis who was not stopped either.Late in the game fans yelled fake when Tilden was going to punt.Reavis didn't listen & Tilden got big yards then scored late to win.Same year TF South comeback win vs Crete Monee who self destructed like they did 3 years later vs Joliet Catholic

Also 83 Morton West defeating Gordon Tech in OT.Kenwood shutting out St.Rita who had the mumps but still should have won.Superstar Jimmy Smith & Kankakee Westview losing to Rich Central is a shootout.If only Jimmy kept his head on right :( Kankakee Eastridge giving Benet a scare but blowing too many chances before losing.And I'll give the guys credit.Argo vs a Oak Forest team who lit them up as Frosh.Wet conditions on turf.OF driving to break the heart of the Argonauts.Going in for a TD & boom!!! Fumble.Argo recovers then gets key plays to run out the clock & win!!! Andrew winning their first ever playoff vs York.They ate at some place out there afterwards & got too excited & had to pay for damages they caused.That Bolingbrook win over Joliet Catholic who barely missed a game winning field goal.Bolingbrook should have won state that year.

74 HF vs Hillcrest.9-8.77 Evergreen Park over Streator.83 St.Rita over Thornridge.T-Ridge had a stud RB who was running wild early.Got hurt then that was it.Speaking of pairings geeze how many times did they pair Bogan against St.Laurence???!!!

I’m so old I remember Sean Payton bringing Naperville C back from a 17-0 halftime deficit to beat the Dons 31-17 in a 6A Wednesday game. Interesting tidbit, neither team beat or played an 8A team. I don’t think either team could have hung with that kind of competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: ESCC fan
I’m so old I remember Sean Payton bringing Naperville C back from a 17-0 halftime deficit to beat the Dons 31-17 in a 6A Wednesday game. Interesting tidbit, neither team beat or played an 8A team. I don’t think either team could have hung with that kind of competition.
I think that was the year Reavis sacked him a ton & held on to beat them

Reactions: eireog
Love my Vikings too!!! Funny thing.Another Illini 8/SICA Matchup vs the Vikings.I was down the middle.1983.As long as the school was open Romeoville kicked a field goal vs the Vikings.The big deal? It was the first field goal they made in school history!!!! I remember reading that with shock.Over 10 years and even much more if they included Lockport West in that!!! Same school, different name, different colors
It was a very ugly FG - either partially blocked and/or just a floater knuckleball type that made it by inches!

Joliet Central had some injuries too.Lake Park was 5-3-1.Mattio laughed about it at Marian and said he would have killed LP.He said that's what they get for voting in Central over us because they were scared to make Joliet Catholic mad

Dave Mattio was amoung the classiest individuals involved with Hs sports. One thing he wouldnt do would go out of his way to piss off Gordie Gillespie! That is fact!

Also 83 Morton West defeating Gordon Tech in OT.Kenwood shutting out St.Rita who had the mumps but still should have won.Superstar Jimmy Smith & Kankakee Westview losing to Rich Central is a shootout.If only Jimmy kept his head on right :( Kankakee Eastridge giving Benet a scare but blowing too many chances before losing.And I'll give the guys credit.Argo vs a Oak Forest team who lit them up as Frosh.Wet conditions on turf.OF driving to break the heart of the Argonauts.Going in for a TD & boom!!! Fumble.Argo recovers then gets key plays to run out the clock & win!!! Andrew winning their first ever playoff vs York.They ate at some place out there afterwards & got too excited & had to pay for damages they caused.That Bolingbrook win over Joliet Catholic who barely missed a game winning field goal.Bolingbrook should have won state that year.

Field goal would have been good, but the game was played using college goal posts, which were narrower than high school goal posts.

Field goal would have been good, but the game was played using college goal posts, which were narrower than high school goal posts.

True story. I was standing on the track near the south end zone immediately after that kick. As the officials were coming off the field, one of the guys from the camera crew who were on a platform lift directly behind the south goal post, came running over and darn near tackled one of the officials. He kept screaming at him asking if he wanted to see the @&*%$# tape, because on film it appeared to be good.

For a lot of years after that, any time I ran into John Cherry, I always told him I thought it was good. He found the story about the camera guy a bit interesting.

74 HF vs Hillcrest.9-8.77 Evergreen Park over Streator.83 St.Rita over Thornridge.T-Ridge had a stud RB who was running wild early.Got hurt then that was it.Speaking of pairings geeze how many times did they pair Bogan against St.Laurence???!!!
I do recall at least back to back years ST L v Bogan on Wednesday - maybe 3X. One game was a total surprise as Bogan gave the Vikes all they could handle - '83? '84? Bogan jumped out to a lead and the Vikes had a 2H rally to win - both games played at Rockne Stadium on west side. Odd thing I remember was that on consecutive St L scores they missed the extra point that both times it appeared the ball clearly went through the uprights - it seemed the refs were clueless as to how to judge the flight of the ball

Rich South had a few bad penalties against them that cost them the game.They always cried they got robbed.I just hated the Sica vs Sica matchup

The Rich South quarterback at the time was only capable of handing the ball off, and not that well.

It was a Great game and it was On Wed afternoon. Listened to in class.

He’s baaaaaaack!

As someone who is constantly beating the drum for midweek football, I couldn't be happier that this threat was resurrected. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Ugh. My father was a coach for that CM team. He didn’t talk for days after that disaster.

My older brother was on that Catholic High team. Great game. Sterling had a great passing attack. JC's Pat Pesavento led the Hillmen to a close victory. I was a kid in the stands. Wednesday games were awesome. Got out of school early every year for this fun. Good times!

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT