ADVERTISEMENT

Best team in the state (year by year)

MS4EVER

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2004
I was wondering with the vast knowledge that EdgyNation has who everyone thought was the best team year by year. Here are mine from the last 15 seasons.

2016-17 Prairie Ridge
2015-16 LA
2014-15 Stevenson
2013-14 SHG
2012-13 Crete or MC
2011-12 Rockford Boylan or The Brook
2010-11 WWS
2009-10 MS
2008-09 MS or Eastside
2007-08 NN or LZ or Dakota
2006-07 WWS
2005-06 LWE
2004-05 JCA
2003-04 Carmel or Driscoll
2002-03 PC

I was wondering with the vast knowledge that EdgyNation has who everyone thought was the best team year by year. Here are mine from the last 15 seasons.

2016-17 Prairie Ridge
2015-16 LA
2014-15 Stevenson
2013-14 SHG
2012-13 Crete or MC
2010-11 WWS
2009-10 MS
2008-09 MS or Eastside
2006-07 WWS
2005-06 LWE
2004-05 JCA
2002-03 PC
I think that the undefeated CG team in 09/10 would have given MS a game and would have had a very good chance of winning it. Having watched the 12/13 Crete Monee team in the championship with Treadwell and some of the linebackers they had, they get my vote.

Uhhhh. I beg to differ with ‘12

GW had the perfect defense that could have stopped MC that year. And no offense to C-M but think GW had a more complete club.

EDIT - I wasn’t on this board in ‘12 so I lack all the arguments made for and against back then

Last edited:
Reactions: CGsupporter
Uhhhh. I beg to differ with ‘12

GW had the perfect defense that could have stopped MC that year. And no offense to C-M but think GW had a more complete club.

That, my friend, would've been a classic. In 2012, stopping MCs O was not the problem even though they were very good. It was that MC D that was lights out. That front 7 worked so well together. If I were still coaching, I'd show that tape of that front 7 working as one to get my point across. On a side note, if I was coaching Oline, I would show them a tape of 1991? Geneseo Oline vs JCA and the 09 CG Oline. Those 3 units I mentioned were the best unit examples of 15-18 year olds playing football perfectly.

Again, not saying MC would or wouldn't beat GW that year but it would have been HS football at its finest

For 14-15 I would put Stevenson behind PC AND CG. I still think that CG team may be the best team to not win a championship. Carmel easily in 03-04.

Reactions: CGsupporter
That 14/15 Stevenson team had 11 kids go play D1 football. D1.
Their QB could have played as well, but chose to play baseball at Northwestern. That team should have arguably won in 13/14 if not for LA's Holecek w/ one of the greatest fake punt calls ever. That team had 13 D1 players including Morrisey who's starting at Michigan State.
Would also say that the 2nd best team in the state in 14/15 was HF who Stevie beat twice that year.
14-15 was either Provi or Naz. Not Stevenson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guido Sarducci
I saw L'ville play Stevenson and CG in person that year. I remember posting here that we had nothing to fear from CG, we already played Stevenson. I was wrong.

2007-08 I am going to say JCA was better than both LZ and NN. JC lost to MC on a fluke play week one and was not challenged again all year. They beat COM 45-8 in week 9. LZ beat that same COM team in the semis 17-7. Outscored opponents 649-154 and set a state record for rushing yards in a season by averaging 475 yds on the ground per game. That 07 team was one of JC's best ever teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: LHSTigers94
2007-08 I am going to say JCA was better than both LZ and NN. JC lost to MC on a fluke play week one and was not challenged again all year. They beat COM 45-8 in week 9. LZ beat that same COM team in the semis 17-7. That 07 team was one of JC's best ever teams.
Was that the halfback pass game at Soldier Field?

PC by double digits over D1 Stevenson

Their QB could have played as well, but chose to play baseball at Northwestern. That team should have arguably won in 13/14 if not for LA's Holecek w/ one of the greatest fake punt calls ever. That team had 13 D1 players including Morrisey who's starting at Michigan State.
Would also say that the 2nd best team in the state in 14/15 was HF who Stevie beat twice that year.

Reactions: chief1968
I think that the undefeated CG team in 09/10 would have given MS a game and would have had a very good chance of winning it. Having watched the 12/13 Crete Monee team in the championship with Treadwell and some of the linebackers they had, they get my vote.
It would have been a great game MS vs. CG. The semi-final game MS had against LA was a great one and I would say probably LA's best defense. That is one of the reasons I put MS #1. LA made Matt Perez look human in that game. So if we could score against that defense we could score against anyone. But you are correct CG would have been a load to handle that year.

It would have been a great game MS vs. CG. The semi-final game MS had against LA was a great one and I would say probably LA's best defense. That is one of the reasons I put MS #1. LA made Matt Perez look human in that game. So if we could score against that defense we could score against anyone. But you are correct CG would have been a load to handle that year.
It would have been a great game to see of two talented groups with different offensive schemes. Totally understand why you had MS #1.

2016-17 Prairie Ridge
2015-16 LA
2014-15 Stevenson
2013-14 SHG
2012-13 Crete or MC
2010-11 WWS
2009-10 MS
2008-09 MS or Eastside
2006-07 WWS
2005-06 LWE
2004-05 JCA
2002-03 PC

I think ESL or Prairie Ridge last year. As I have ESL beating PR

I can be like JWAR and tell you the 2014 Naz team had 14 players go play D1. But that doesn't matter. I have my opinion on that season and I have Stevie #3.

I can be like JWAR and tell you the 2014 Naz team had 14 players go play D1. But that doesn't matter. I have my opinion on that season and I have Stevie #3.
I think that we can both agree that Stevie, Naz, PC- were all pretty great that year. Who was best???? We'll never know in any real quantifiable way.

Fun to speculate on this stuff. I was at that semi game that LZ beat CoM 17-7. The Carmel QB couldn't run so he would hand-off to the FB or pitch out the whole 2nd half. I thought LZ would get killed by WWS in the champ game but they beat WWS. Go figure.

2007 7A Semi-Final vs LZ Venegoni, CCHS QB, Grade 3 ankle sprain. CCHS loses 17-7.

LZ only had to defend A gaps as Venegoni could do nothing for option #2 (keep) or #3 (pitch). Geoffrey Fields played well at FB, gaining over 100 yds on a very, very good LZ defense. It was a great game. LZ was a complete team, but not as good as JCA that year.

Last edited:
Let's go back to the beginning of the IHSA
I'm going back a long long time, but the 1975 Deerfield team lead by Mark Carlson was pretty darn good!!

Reactions: ignazio
2007-08 I am going to say JCA was better than both LZ and NN. JC lost to MC on a fluke play week one and was not challenged again all year. They beat COM 45-8 in week 9. LZ beat that same COM team in the semis 17-7. Outscored opponents 649-154 and set a state record for rushing yards in a season by averaging 475 yds on the ground per game. That 07 team was one of JC's best ever teams.
No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reactions: USD24
No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2007 was the best team NN ever had they may have lost to WWS but they were the better team, once the game got to the 4th quarter the Tigers were barely holding on.

It would have been interesting to see them against JCA, NN was dominate and had a great defense that outside of a triple OT game was only giving up 7pts a game against a really tough schedule. I would have taken NN but it would have been a very close game.

Reactions: NNFAN

Good post. That was just when I started really watching Illinois high school football and both of those teams were loaded, it was a great matchup.

Reactions: myloson24
Naz 2014
Ivory Kelly-Martin Iowa
Nolan Dean Northern Illinois
Matt Prendergast Lehigh
Kevin Jackson Wyoming
Decxavier Kelly-Martin Illinois State
Julian Love Notre Dame
Christian Sampleton Yale
Michael Owens Army
Pat Kilcommons Dartmouth
John Kilcommons Dartmouth
Jack Shutack Rutgers/Colorado
Justin Weller Penn State
Devonte Dunn Toledo

That’s just the d1 kids, multiple kids at St Xavier/Indianapolis and programs like it.

Reactions: Gene K.
Swagger South in 2008 tops Swagger North.

This was the Appleton, Hawthorne, Wray, Moulton Flyers.

If nothing else, watch the play at 4:45. ESL delivered a beating the whole day long.

Not so fast my friend! Swagger High was led by 2008 Sun times Player of the Year Charlie Goro and 2009 Player of the Year Matt Perez. Along with many other All-Staters. Also the downfall of Eastside would be penalties. In the title game alone they had 19 for 166 yards according to the IHSA website!!! MS would be very opportunistic with that many extra yards. It would have been a great game but MS would prevail.

That team was absolutely loaded.
One of the big problems with this hokey seeding is that you get absolutely titanic matchups in the semis or even the quarters.

Reactions: myloson24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT