ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Active IHSA Football Coaches (My opinion)

PeterD60LHS

Jul 1, 2019
My opinion for Top 10 Active IHSA Football Coaches and why (in no particular order).
1. Ken Leonard, Sacred-Heart Griffin (Most wins in IHSA coaching history, 8 state championship appearances, 5 state championships, '05, '06, '08, '13, '14)

2. John Holecek, Loyola Academy (5 8A state championship appearances, 2 time state champion, '13, '18)

3. David Inserra, Maine South (7 8A state championship appearances, 4 time state champion, '08, '09, '10, '16)

4. Tim Racki, Driscoll Catholic/Nazareth Academy (4 time state champion at Driscoll, '01, '02, '03, '04. 4 state championship appearances, 3 time state champion at Nazareth, '14 (6A), '15 (5A), '18 (7A))

5. Rob Zvonar, Lincoln-Way East (3 state championship appearances, '05 (8A), '12 (7A), '17 (8A), 2 time state champion, ' 05, '17.)

6. Darren Sunkett, East St. Louis (2 state championship appearances, '08, '16 (both 7A), 2 time state champion, 5 time state semi-finalist, '07, '08, '09, '13, '16)

7. Bret Kooi, Lockport/Lemont (3 state championship appearances, '02, '03 (8A Lockport), '14 (6A Lemont) 2 time state championship at Lockport. Turned Lemont, a 3-6 team in 2013 to a state runner-up the following year.)

8.Derek Leonard, Rochester (7 time 4A state champion, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '16, '17)

9. Troy McAllister, Chicago (Phillips) (3 state championship appearances, '14, '15 (both 4A), '17 (5A) 2 time state champion, '15, '17. First coach to bring a state championship to the Chicago Public League since Simeon in the 80s.)

10. John Ivlow, Bolingbrook (2011 8A state champion. Brought the Raiders to the playoffs in consecutive years from 2002- 2015, and 2018.)

Your Racki is slightly off. All 4 of those at Driscoll were championships. And there was 1 more appearance at Naz. So 7 championships (3a, 3a, 3a, 4a, 5a, 6a, 7a) and 8 appearances.

My opinion for Top 10 Active IHSA Football Coaches and why (in no particular order).
1. Ken Leonard, Sacred-Heart Griffin (Most wins in IHSA coaching history, 8 state championship appearances, 5 state championships, '05, '06, '08, '13, '14)

2. John Holecek, Loyola Academy (5 8A state championship appearances, 2 time state champion, '13, '18)

3. David Inserra, Maine South (7 8A state championship appearances, 4 time state champion, '08, '09, '10, '16)

4. Tim Racki, Driscoll Catholic/Nazareth Academy (4 time state champion at Driscoll, '01, '02, '03, '04. 4 state championship appearances, 3 time state champion at Nazareth, '14 (6A), '15 (5A), '18 (7A))

5. Rob Zvonar, Lincoln-Way East (3 state championship appearances, '05 (8A), '12 (7A), '17 (8A), 2 time state champion, ' 05, '17.)

6. Darren Sunkett, East St. Louis (2 state championship appearances, '08, '16 (both 7A), 2 time state champion, 5 time state semi-finalist, '07, '08, '09, '13, '16)

7. Bret Kooi, Lockport/Lemont (3 state championship appearances, '02, '03 (8A Lockport), '14 (6A Lemont) 2 time state championship at Lockport. Turned Lemont, a 3-6 team in 2013 to a state runner-up the following year.)

8.Derek Leonard, Rochester (7 time 4A state champion, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '16, '17)

9. Troy McAllister, Chicago (Phillips) (3 state championship appearances, '14, '15 (both 4A), '17 (5A) 2 time state champion, '15, '17. First coach to bring a state championship to the Chicago Public League since Simeon in the 80s.)

10. John Ivlow, Bolingbrook (2011 8A state champion. Brought the Raiders to the playoffs in consecutive years from 2002- 2015, and 2018.)
Holecek - 6 appearances in 8A and champs in 15 and 18

Lost to NapC in 13

Your Racki is slightly off. All 4 of those at Driscoll were championships. And there was 1 more appearance at Naz. So 7 championships (3a, 3a, 3a, 4a, 5a, 6a, 7a) and 8 appearances.
Only 1 Driscoll title was 3a, the other 3 were 4a.

‘01 4a
‘02 4a
‘03 4a
‘04 3a

Ivlow hasn’t had the best success over the past few years, BUT I will say that he sure does get his players a chance at the next level. I believe Bolingbrook is at the top with getting their kids scholarship offers.

Ivlow hasn’t had the best success over the past few years, BUT I will say that he sure does get his players a chance at the next level. I believe Bolingbrook is at the top with getting their kids scholarship offers.
#1? It’d be interesting to do the work on this but I will take the field.

Sunkett may disagree with that claim.
yes it appears that ESTL leads the charge when it comes to getting kids offers. The Flyers travel everywhere to get their kids seen (Camps/7on7s), interesting that other programs don't do the same. Flyers need to deliver more state titles IMO with all that talent

I'd love a list comparing schools with kids who sign in February and actually qualify and appear on campuses in August.

Reactions: McCaravan
I'd love a list comparing schools with kids who sign in February and actually qualify and appear on campuses in August.
Is there a specific school you have questions about? I may can help with an answer.

All of them. But if you want to share ESL the past few years please share.

Only one kid has signed and didn’t make it to campus which was a kid that signed with Syracuse in 2013. All other kids that signed made it to campus. There was a kid that never made it to U of I in 2010 however he never officially signed.

Top 10 Public High School Coaches and Top 10 Boundary-less Coaches. Because there's a difference.
Actually this may allow for a question that I’m not sure has been discussed in the past. While I certain the the public top coaches would do well coaching at privates (aka bound-less, free is to roam the world, LOL) however would the top private coaches prevail at public schools? Not sure if this topic has come up but anyhow.....I’ll hang up and listen.

Actually this may allow for a question that I’m not sure has been discussed in the past. While I certain the the public top coaches would do well coaching at privates (aka bound-less, free is to roam the world, LOL) however would the top private coaches prevail at public schools? Not sure if this topic has come up but anyhow.....I’ll hang up and listen.
We have a few examples that I am aware of. Burzawa of Driscoll fame went to Evanston. There was a lot of talk on the boards about what a championship coach of his caliber would do at a talent rich school like Evanston. To be fair he did improve on the records from a 3-4 win program to a 5-6 win program, but not in the championship hunt. Coach Stone who went from JCA to West Chicago. Not nearly as much success at WC. And Dan Sharpe who went from public to private. If I recall he did okay at Minooka and went on to win 'ships at JCA.

I know obviously it takes talent to win games/championships, but I do believe some of the boundaryless coaches get too much credit when you look at it objectively. There is a big difference. I always admired the coaches who have had continued success at the public school level, because they are doing it with the talent provided not recruited. Not to slight the private school coaches, because I can say the same thing about them. I think there are some private school coaches who don't always get/recruit the top talent and always play tough. There are some very over rated private school coaches.

I know obviously it takes talent to win games/championships, but I do believe some of the boundaryless coaches get too much credit when you look at it objectively. There is a big difference. I always admired the coaches who have had continued success at the public school level, because they are doing it with the talent provided not recruited. Not to slight the private school coaches, because I can say the same thing about them. I think there are some private school coaches who don't always get/recruit the top talent and always play tough. There are some very over rated private school coaches.
Agree with your comments

Now let's see who the top 10 assistants would be?
Dale Augustine was on staff during State Championship teams at LW Central and now at LW East. Squeezed in between was participation in some high winning percentages at LW North. I suspect Head Coaches Rob Glielmi, George Czart and now Rob Zvonar would acknowledge Dale's contributions of effort, dedication, knowledge and experience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT