ADVERTISEMENT

Best team in the state (year by year)

Not so fast my friend! Swagger High was led by 2008 Sun times Player of the Year Charlie Goro and 2009 Player of the Year Matt Perez. Along with many other All-Staters. Also the downfall of Eastside would be penalties. In the title game alone they had 19 for 166 yards according to the IHSA website!!! MS would be very opportunistic with that many extra yards. It would have been a great game but MS would prevail.
ESL had the Post Dispatch players of the year too - so there!

Would have been a barn burner - but Southern Swagger would prevail!

Reactions: MS4EVER
2007 was the best team NN ever had they may have lost to WWS but they were the better team, once the game got to the 4th quarter the Tigers were barely holding on.

It would have been interesting to see them against JCA, NN was dominate and had a great defense that outside of a triple OT game was only giving up 7pts a game against a really tough schedule. I would have taken NN but it would have been a very close game.
ClownBaby... thanks for the support and kind words. I will say, though, that our 07 team was NOT the best NN team as I have followed the program since the school opened.

All time best NN teams ranking...

#1 1989
#2 1993
#3 TIE 1988, 2002, 2007
#6 1987
#7 TIE 1992, 1994
#9 1995, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2008

ClownBaby... thanks for the support and kind words. I will say, though, that our 07 team was NOT the best NN team as I have followed the program since the school opened.

#1 1989
#2 1993
#3 TIE 1988, 2002, 2007
#6 1987
#7 TIE 1992, 1994

Was '89 the Dave Garnett team? 1993 team was loaded but got a terrible playoff draw and got upset in the first round by DGS if I remember correctly. The 1993 WWS/ NN is still one of the largest crowds I've ever seen at a high school game.

I really liked the 2007 team when they spread teams out and let Wunderlich run the ball, there just weren't many kids that could tackle him 1 on 1.

Was '89 the Dave Garnett team? 1993 team was loaded but got a terrible playoff draw and got upset in the first round by DGS if I remember correctly. The 1993 WWS/ NN is still one of the largest crowds I've ever seen at a high school game.

I really liked the 2007 team when they spread teams out and let Wunderlich run the ball, there just weren't many kids that could tackle him 1 on 1.
Dave Garnett was on the 1988 team that was beating ESL (@ESL) at halftime. Our star RB (Pete Lombardo) broke his leg (just before halftime) and there was NO AMBULANCE to transport him to the hospital. ESL pulls it out at the end, winning by a few points. We win the game without the injury (and the long time delay- killed our momentum). Our 1993 team was rated #1 in the state, and was paired up in the first round with #2 (undefeated) Downers South. Downers won the game by one point on the last play of the game. Downers went on to lose in the title game against Loyola. We were sooo close so many years, but only made to the title game three times.

Uhhhh. I beg to differ with ‘12

GW had the perfect defense that could have stopped MC that year. And no offense to C-M but think GW had a more complete club.

EDIT - I wasn’t on this board in ‘12 so I lack all the arguments made for and against back then
Wait was that the mud bowl year?

#1 1989
#2 1993
#3 TIE 1988, 2002, 2007
#6 1987
#7 TIE 1992, 1994

I’d argue the 94 team was as good as any. Lavelle brown and scott K were ridiculously talented and the o line was dominant

I’d argue the 94 team was as good as any. Lavelle brown and scott K were ridiculously talented and the o line was dominant
Levelle Brown was a dominate player (on both sides), but his class was not a deep one. Kavanagh, Walsh, and Jurjovec were only juniors. Very good team (probably better than '92) thanks to the juniors, but not top 4 IMHO. Still say 89, 93, 88, and 07. Thanks King MJ for your input, what other NN teams did you get to see? Nice to have another old school poster!

Levelle Brown was a dominate player (on both sides), but his class was not a deep one. Kavanagh, Walsh, and Jurjovec were only juniors. Very good team (probably better than '92) thanks to the juniors, but not top 4 IMHO. Still say 89, 93, 88, and 07. Thanks King MJ for your input, what other NN teams did you get to see? Nice to have another old school poster!

Lest we forget, NN had to play Downers on a Wed also after going 9-0 in DVC. '93 was last year of the Wed playoff game and '94 went to 1-32.

I played against 92-94 and saw most through early 2000 a lot and sproradically since.

I can tell you the 94 team was the hardest to prep for because of everything kavanaugh could do.

93 team executed better but really didn’t have the same level of talent at qb which made all the difference in that scheme. Agreed defense was a little better but not by that much.

Also the 94 team has mccareins on varsity who was difference maker from day 1

I played against 92-94 and saw most through early 2000 a lot and sproradically since.

I can tell you the 94 team was the hardest to prep for because of everything kavanaugh could do.

93 team executed better but really didn’t have the same level of talent at qb which made all the difference in that scheme. Agreed defense was a little better but not by that much.
Kavanagh better passing QB, Ryan Furstenau better runner and ran the double wing flawlessly. Thanks King

Last edited:
NNfan was a huge proponent of the Quads where the DVC had to replay each other immediately and the Wed game with non-proper seeding

Last edited:
Reactions: NNFAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT