ADVERTISEMENT

Best Gameday Atmosphere In Every State

Lion4Life01

Sep 16, 2022
Saw this on Twitter and had to share. Don't think I disagree....

F8QEZ3BWEAAhs1-

So in New York, the Army/Troy game is going to have a better atmosphere than Bills/Giants on Sunday night? Would love to see who participated in this survey.
It's not a survey. That 'Big Game Boomer' account has these stupid maps/rankings/lists all the time, and often, they are garbage created to drive replies.

Whose got the best gameday atmosphere of IL HS football teams? Is it MC? What ya’ll think?

Reactions: Jenny27
I think MC is up there. The walk up to the stadium, the bleachers right on top of the field and student section on top of the endzone. make it a really awesome atmosphere. Most teams have a gap where the track is. Jumbotron is unreal too!

I don't think this was claiming MC to be the best gameday atmosphere. Just that it would be the best gameday atmosphere this weekend with the PC game. As was mentioned above, that was true from the late 90s until about 2014. I don't think this weekend will be a particularly great atmosphere either as I assume the game will be all but decided by halftime.

MC's gameday experience is nice. But I agree with all the comments about a large scale suburban game with a big turnout being better. I remember some Naperville clashes at North Central that were outstanding some years ago. But even better than the 5,000-10,000 at a large suburban game are the packed small town games. Geneseo, Jacksonville, Normal, Pontiac, Morris, etc. As mentioned, Wilmington may consistently be the best.

I would put LaSalle-Peru up there as the best I have ever seen. I know L-P isn't always relevant, but a late season big playoff game on a Saturday is absolutely electric in Fellows Stadium. Can't imagine a more enjoyable place to watch a game.

Wilmington probably gets the nod here due to their consistency of playing in meaningful games late into the season. So they have a track record of showing off their great environment.

It's Wilmington and there are really no others when it comes to game day experience.

MC is neat but it is too crammed to make it enjoyable and a must go to destination.

To make this experience an experience you need a layout, concessions, bands, dance teams, etc. I personally think the video boards kind of ftake away from it.

Reactions: 4Afan
Wilmo is pretty good. Been doing a version of their intro since the late 90s/early 2000s. Lots of copycats these days, though.
Quarterfinal and semifinal games are good. The whole thing works much better later in the year when it’s dark out at kickoff.
Specifically remember the Coal City week 9 and Driscoll games in 2004 being pretty amazing. 2003 DuQuoin was good too. Got the chills during it. Was definitely the most people I’ve ever seen there back then. More than the entire town’s population.

Reactions: forlouann
No parking lot, not a lot to do around there, just kind of basic. Love the field, no track is always a bonus, but give me Marian of the Woodpile over 64th and Dante 10/10 times.
I took the “user friendly” as a shot about an incident a few weeks back. My mistake brother. Not sure when you were last down at 6410 s Dante? Tons of parking available have never seen issues with parking. Besides the main lot North of the school they offer grass parking all the way to 63rd street. Additional parking from 64th to 63rd street in the metra lots (all free) if that’s not enough more parking 2 blocks west.

Hyde Park just a few blocks north has plenty to offer. If that doesn’t suit your fancy the south Loop is a 10 minute drive from MC. If none of that sounds good you can dine on your way into the stadium in Champions Row. The MC Fathers club does an amazing job on the grills.

Wilmo is pretty good. Been doing a version of their intro since the late 90s/early 2000s. Lots of copycats these days, though.
Quarterfinal and semifinal games are good. The whole thing works much better later in the year when it’s dark out at kickoff.
Specifically remember the Coal City week 9 and Driscoll games in 2004 being pretty amazing. 2003 DuQuoin was good too. Got the chills during it. Was definitely the most people I’ve ever seen there back then. More than the entire town’s population.
The 2004 Driscoll game. Yeah, that was something

Reactions: doctor_d
The Wilmington experience is awesome! When you get a big playoff game, with opposing fans that travel well, and the other local teams who come to watch....it just can't be beat. Every semi-final game was an awesome crowd. Driscoll. The year Byron beat us at our place. The CC week 9 matchup of '04.

I may be biased because I ride my Harley out for the big games, but it's truly special for the kids. They know the whole town is there to back them.

However, I am glad they got rid of the cannon. That was kind of dumb IMO.

Another cool thing about Wilmo is the lack of track surrounding the field. There’s still the cinders from the old track, but it hasn’t been used since at least the 80s. Fans not sitting in the bleachers are really close to the field. Very intimate.

Another cool thing about Wilmo is the lack of track surrounding the field. There’s still the cinders from the old track, but it hasn’t been used since at least the 80s. Fans not sitting in the bleachers are really close to the field. Very intimate.
The woods on the south side, the dark baseball field to the east, the cinder track, all make it a very cool venue.

Wilmington is a most talked about.

I like the college football debates on this topic.

Back in the day, Morris would have won this hands down. Haven't been to one of their games in many years though

I don't think this was claiming MC to be the best gameday atmosphere. Just that it would be the best gameday atmosphere this weekend with the PC game. As was mentioned above, that was true from the late 90s until about 2014. I don't think this weekend will be a particularly great atmosphere either as I assume the game will be all but decided by halftime.

MC's gameday experience is nice. But I agree with all the comments about a large scale suburban game with a big turnout being better. I remember some Naperville clashes at North Central that were outstanding some years ago. But even better than the 5,000-10,000 at a large suburban game are the packed small town games. Geneseo, Jacksonville, Normal, Pontiac, Morris, etc. As mentioned, Wilmington may consistently be the best.

I would put LaSalle-Peru up there as the best I have ever seen. I know L-P isn't always relevant, but a late season big playoff game on a Saturday is absolutely electric in Fellows Stadium. Can't imagine a more enjoyable place to watch a game.

Wilmington probably gets the nod here due to their consistency of playing in meaningful games late into the season. So they have a track record of showing off their great environment.
Small town schools are drawing 10,000 fans for a big game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT