ADVERTISEMENT

Best football / academic school combo

Chicago Vocational sent Dick Butkus to Illinois, Jawan Howard to Michigan and Chris Zorich to Notre Dame, yet I would never consider that school to be an academic powerhouse.
Who is Jawan Howard?

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
(speaking publics only) Given the top 100 list Stevenson is easily tops.

What's most impressive with Stevenson and Loyola is that they are 2 of the largest schools as well. Theoretically, that should hurt them.

It is inaccurate to say Stevenson is locked by housing prices. Yes, Long Grove is part of it, but my son's mailing address is Wauconda, and my granddaughter had her choice of going to Stevenson or Mundeliein, strangely enough.

I would say this is incorrect. Stevenson is locked by housing prices and Loyola has admissions standards.
Admissions for loyola certainly matter. I'm just staying from a pure numbers standpoint that the average scores should be brought down.

It is inaccurate to say Stevenson is locked by housing prices. Yes, Long Grove is part of it, but my son's mailing address is Wauconda, and my granddaughter had her choice of going to Stevenson or Mundeliein, strangely enough.

How does that work they aren't in the same school district?

Look at the number of low income students that go to Stevenson. 2%. Minimal low cost housing attending Stevenson’s.

Reactions: ClownBaby
Look at the number of low income students that go to Stevenson. 2%. Minimal low cost housing attending Stevenson’s.
Rich people can have unintelligent kids and poor people can have intelligent kids. There's so much more that goes into the equation.

Reactions: UlbKA91
Rich people can have unintelligent kids and poor people can have intelligent kids. There's so much more that goes into the equation.
While true, a higher quantity of students with lower income and means will certainly affect test scores and GPA's.

While true, a higher quantity of students with lower income and means will certainly affect test scores and GPA's.
Due to schooling provided, culture, home life, etc. Like I said, way more to it. Very hard to quantify based on one variable.

Of course and many of those things are directly related to poverty and household income. For instance, East Aurora didn't have buses for students until about 2-3 years ago, that makes it tough to get to school.

Stevenson also has Westmoreland Drive east of il 83 which is a lot of duplexes and apartments.

Not denying that. However there’s a reason Stevenson is widely considered one of the top schools in the country. $$$.

Not denying that. However there’s a reason Stevenson is widely considered one of the top schools in the country. $$$.
Fair enough, I think we are generally on the same page here. I think the most impressive thing about Stevenson is how they utilize those funds as compared to other schools.

That's true, school board hiring practices have a lot to do with it as well. Can you say nepotism?

I grew up in Englewood, one of four kids with a single mom. Not what I would call "white privilege." But you know what ? We were surrounded by books. My mother was a teacher, and she instilled in all of us lifelong reading habits. It paid off. I got a four-year ride to a high school noted for its athletics but no slouch in the academic department. And then I went on from there. As someone said above, both nature and nurture were the determining factors.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT