ADVERTISEMENT

Beckman fired!

USD24

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Joliet
SB nation is reporting that Illinois has fired Tim Beckman. What is going on down there?

The one good thing about the timing is it will give your commits plenty of time to take visits and find new schools. I really have a hard time seeing how any coach would want this job? The AD is next so how is he going to hire a new coach?

he was gonna get fired after the year anyway. I already looked at candidates weeks ago thinking ahead....PJ Fleck?

Fleck's current career trajectory is too positive for him to consider Illinois. Why take the risk of trying to turn that dysfunction around? He will likely wait for a Power 5 opportunity with less risk/drama.

The President of the University, the Provost and now the head football coach.I figure the AD can't be far behind.

Cubit and remaining coaches will ride of the year is my guess. Look for PJ Fleck and Brock Spack's names to be throw around along with Scott Schafer at Syracuse all as guys with local connections

How do they do this only a week before the season starts??
Hopefully it's only football related.

Emillika,

The contract buyout is not bad currently $1mm decreasing $200k per year until 2019. But what he has in his contract @$800k base and several other intangibles related to the program probably too much for him to walk away from, not to mention the mess he'd be walking into. It could happen but I don't see it.

Doesn't PJ have a HUGE buyout clause?

Emillika,

The contract buyout is not bad currently $1mm decreasing $200k per year until 2019. But what he has in his contract @$800k base and several other intangibles related to the program probably too much for him to walk away from, not to mention the mess he'd be walking into. It could happen but I don't see it.

Ya that's not as bad as I thought. Still. Would you?

That said if you could recruit this state like Mich St, Iowa and hell even the MAC you might be on to something.

should have shown Cubit the door while they were at it.
Sour grapes over Bailey.

Someone has to coach the team for the remainder of the season. Have to imagine the whole staff will get cleaned out in December. PJ Fleck, Brock Spack are logical canidates, I'd prefer Fuente from Memphis, also was an assistant at ISU.

Reactions: all4theillini
Sour grapes over Bailey.

Someone has to coach the team for the remainder of the season. Have to imagine the whole staff will get cleaned out in December. PJ Fleck, Brock Spack are logical canidates, I'd prefer Fuente from Memphis, also was an assistant at ISU.
Not sure Illini Nation was watching Cubit's actions with that situation. He's a snake and I would wish him nothing but the worst if he wasn't coaching #6 too.

So happy to see Beckman gone. I can only hope they can the AD, hire a new one that has the pull, backing of the admin and support from boosters to bring in a coach that can keep the top talent home in Illinois. There is no reason why this school shouldn't start most every year ranked between 20-25.

Reactions: chief1968
B
Sour grapes over Bailey.

Bailey isn't starting at UNI either.

Reactions: all4theillini
Same place...message has since been shot down. We'll see how it all plays out. I wish AB was still at UI, but he was never going to be Cubit's QB.
Exactly. Cubit should have been honest instead of trying to trap the kid and move him. But the team wasn't equipped to run the type of offense Cubit wants to run, that's why the team was better under ROT. We'll see how it plays out this year though.

I'm hearing Rob Bain had a monster game for the Illini today.
Looked good for sure. Put a lot of pressure on the KS offense. The blocked fg as well. But I thought he was coming on last season at the end. Even against B1G teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT