ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

6 pt game, the K for the Texans hit 4 FG’s. Two were from ridiculous distance. This team is not far from being okay. They’re a long way from being good. There’s hope. Williams is the key.

Reactions: stl705 and 4Afan
Caleb got sacked more than Justin did.

DJ looked pretty frustrated late in the game.

Texans are a good team, but that performance from the Bears offense didn’t feel good.
Here’s one more stat. Williams dropped back to pass 37 times. The Texans had 36 effective pressures. He was hit 17 times and sacked 7 times.

Blame the kid if you want, but you’re pointing the finger in the wrong direction.

Reactions: Gene K.
Not sure what game you watched. Look at the last two passing plays and count. On the last sack, he was sacked 7 times and hit another two dozen times. That can’t all be his fault.

They lost this game tonight because there aren’t 5 guys on this roster to form an offensive line and protect your prized asset.

If you think Caleb played poorly. Ok. Explain what he did poorly. Was it throwing in less than 2 seconds? That would be well above average as the league average is 2,45 seconds. Would it be scrambling?

Not sure what you want the kid to do when he has no time to read a defense throw the ball etc.

This was a winnable game against a team many think is a Super Bowl contender.

Like I said they have an elite defense and a less than HS level line.
Same thing happened to Fields, except the narrative was that Justin couldn’t read a defense.
The o line is better than high school level but it’s not good, and the schemes don’t support that deficiency.
Same old story.
I hope Caleb doesn’t get ruined like Justin did. He took a beating tonight and will probably get happy feet and start seeing ghosts before long if this keeps up

Not sure what game you watched. Look at the last two passing plays and count. On the last sack, he was sacked 7 times and hit another two dozen times. That can’t all be his fault.

They lost this game tonight because there aren’t 5 guys on this roster to form an offensive line and protect your prized asset.

If you think Caleb played poorly. Ok. Explain what he did poorly. Was it throwing in less than 2 seconds? That would be well above average as the league average is 2,45 seconds. Would it be scrambling?

Not sure what you want the kid to do when he has no time to read a defense throw the ball etc.

This was a winnable game against a team many think is a Super Bowl contender.

Like I said they have an elite defense and a less than HS level line.
So it was the OL fault he had 2 INTs (should have been 3 but got bailed out by a penalty)? It was the OL fault the Texans blitzed so much because they knew he couldn't pick it up and audible correctly? Not saying Caleb can't get there but the Texans took advantage of his inexperience. The OL is far from perfect but they're also far from the reason they lost.

Caleb has yet to connect on a throw down field, the "generational talent" has yet to throw a TD pass, even in the pre season, and with all the talk of the bad OL I thought Williams was supposed to be a magician who could make plays out of nothing.

Same thing happened to Fields, except the narrative was that Justin couldn’t read a defense.
The o line is better than high school level but it’s not good, and the schemes don’t support that deficiency.
Same old story.
I hope Caleb doesn’t get ruined like Justin did. He took a beating tonight and will probably get happy feet and start seeing ghosts before long if this keeps up
Yet in relatively the same situation Fields is 2-0.

Yet in relatively the same situation Fields is 2-0.
Yeah I was Fields guy. Thought he got a raw deal with the overall lack of talent and crappy coaching.
I just don’t want to see more of what we saw tonight. I thought Caleb was supposed to be able to overcome some of this.
With all that said, it is still early. It’s hard not to be pessimistic though.

Here’s one more stat. Williams dropped back to pass 37 times. The Texans had 36 effective pressures. He was hit 17 times and sacked 7 times.

Blame the kid if you want, but you’re pointing the finger in the wrong direction.
Pretty quick to get that advanced stat. Source?

The biggest takeaway is the lack of a running game. Play action has no effect when there's no threat of a run game, and that goes for both teams, the Texans only had 75 rushing yards compared to over 200 in week 1.

Yeah I was Fields guy. Thought he got a raw deal with the overall lack of talent and crappy coaching.
I just don’t want to see more of what we saw tonight. I thought Caleb was supposed to be able to overcome some of this.
With all that said, it is still early. It’s hard not to be pessimistic though.
Don't necessarily disagree, but what I think is funny is, given the Bears history, they demand perfection in game #2 of Williams career and spread the blame everywhere but on him. The defense will keep them in every game but it will take time to figure out what works on offense. It's not just the OL as some of you claim
It's not the OL that has caused Caleb to miss on every downfield throw so far. It's not the OL that has resulted in a limited playbook so far. No matter how much you believe the hype, he's still a rookie.

Don't necessarily disagree, but what I think is funny is, given the Bears history, they demand perfection in game #2 of Williams career and spread the blame everywhere but on him. The defense will keep them in every game but it will take time to figure out what works on offense. It's not just the OL as some of you claim
It's not the OL that has caused Caleb to miss on every downfield throw so far. It's not the OL that has resulted in a limited playbook so far. No matter how much you believe the hype, he's still a rookie.
So is it Williams fault he was pressured in 36 of 37 drop backs, hit 17 times and sacked seven times? All Caleb’s fault because he’s a rookie right -?

So is it Williams fault he was pressured in 36 of 37 drop backs, hit 17 times and sacked seven times? All Caleb’s fault because he’s a rookie right -?
Again, source for this stat? Never said the OL was perfect, but claiming the rookie QB in start #2 was flawless is...something. so he never once held on to the ball too long? He never once misread the defense? The Texans never once disguised a blitz or coverage to confuse him? Caleb never missed an open option?

Far more factors in play rather than saying the OL sucks.

Relatively the same OL as last year yet that was all put on Fields, but now it's the OL fault, so what's the difference?

LOL I certainly am not demanding perfection from the Bears QB position, but yeah - I’d like to see him hit on something when he breaks containment.
It’s very early still, and I think Houston is a pretty darn good team.

Reactions: 4Afan
LOL I certainly am not demanding perfection from the Bears QB position, but yeah - I’d like to see him hit on something when he breaks containment.
It’s very early still, and I think Houston is a pretty darn good team.
That's the big thing that's getting overlooked. Many people consider Houston to be a Super Bowl contender but put all the blame for the loss on the OL, which is just lazy.

Reactions: doctor_d
That's the big thing that's getting overlooked. Many people consider Houston to be a Super Bowl contender but put all the blame for the loss on the OL, which is just lazy.
Next gen stats is where u got my numbers. The final numbers were 36 pressures in 48 attempts. 17 hits and seven sacks. ATT was just under 2.2 seconds which is under the break line by .5.

Caleb wasn’t perfect. However I don’t know how we point the finger at him as to why they lost.

They took one of the best teams in the league and a Super Bowl contender and had a chance to win.

They can’t run the ball, don’t move the pocket, refuse to use the TE l, expect the TE to block one of the top edges in the league.

Yet somehow we need to find a way to say Caleb was part of why they lost.

I’m starting to realize why us lifelong bears fans can’t have nice things.

Reactions: corey90 and Gene K.
Funny we are all not happy with the OL protecting the QB and running the football

BUT nobody here cared during the draft so I don't want to hear your complaining.
I thought the o line stunk when Justin was back there running for his life for 3 years and they didn’t have any play makers for most of that time.
There was one particular individual I remember that said we need more big play guys, but it wasn’t me.

Here’s the reality we as Bears fans face. This is a playoff caliber defense. One that can lead this team. This is an offense still trying to find its way.

The next slate of games
@ Indy
Vs Rams
Vs Carolina
jacksonville
@Washington
@Arizona
Vs New England

If they can win say 5 of those 7 games, it would put them at 6-3. The back half is hard with 6 of the 8 being divisional games.

So a trip to the playoffs is very much there for the taking.

I’m encouraged by a lot that I saw last night despite being discouraged by the offense.

My glass remains half full.

My post April 29, 2021

Over 3 years ago.

Holding my breath on that one, I'm good with Fields but Jones from Bama would have been another bust like Trubisky.

I still don't like continuing to trade away draft picks.

I would have been most happy picking offensive linemen with the first 4 picks.

Holding my breath on that one, I'm good with Fields but Jones from Bama would have been another bust like Trubisky.

I still don't like continuing to trade away draft picks.

I would have been most happy picking offensive linemen.with the first 4 picks.
That is the only smart comment on this thread about the current situation with the Bears. I ****ing hate the Bears. But the one thing they haven’t done is protect a quarterback. Cutler was awesome. But I’d be a little agitated as well if I was getting my back realigned Every Monday because my lineman couldn’t block. Trubisky would’ve been fine if he wasn’t running for his life. Obviously, I can’t stand any player from that school in Ohio. But Justin Fields is doing just fine now. And as I said, in the beginning of the year, Odunzee is only as good as the ball coming out of his quarterback’s hands. It’s only week two. The lions are 1-1 against two playoff teams from last year. The Vikings are 1-0. The packers are 0-1. The Bears are 0-1 versus the same.

Can't have even an ok O in NFL if you are not "good" at something other than punting.
I bet you see Bears come out next week with I formation two TEs trying to pound the ball out of the gate.
Not having a running game for a rookie QB, no matter who, is a recipe for disaster.
It is week 3, I'll give them a month, but it is extremely concerning seeing Shelton/Davis on that interior. Shelton looks like he doesn't belong on a HS roster, my god.

Here’s the reality we as Bears fans face. This is a playoff caliber defense. One that can lead this team. This is an offense still trying to find its way.

The next slate of games
@ Indy
Vs Rams
Vs Carolina
jacksonville
@Washington
@Arizona
Vs New England

If they can win say 5 of those 7 games, it would put them at 6-3. The back half is hard with 6 of the 8 being divisional games.

So a trip to the playoffs is very much there for the taking.

I’m encouraged by a lot that I saw last night despite being discouraged by the offense.

My glass remains half full.
Gotta score points to win. Not gonna win many games in this league while averaging 18ppg.

Funny we are all not happy with the OL protecting the QB and running the football

BUT nobody here cared during the draft so I don't want to hear your complaining.
If you look back far enough Wassup, I posted after last year's draft, I had really was hoping the Bears would have drafted Joe Alt from Notre Dame . I kept hear about " generational talent " and " franchise qb " with Williams. I get it the franchise was under huge pressure to take him, but my goodness that O line is terrible. A big, punishing line will do wonders for a qb.

Food for thought…..

Baegents stats after his first two starts were better than Williams.

Williams weapons are far superior to what Baegent had.

Baegents previous start was against D2 talent. Williams had 30+ starts vs power 5 opponents.

Baegent
394Yards 46-66 1 TD 2 INTS 1 Rushing TD 2 Sacks
Record 1-1

Williams
267 Yards 37-66 0 TD 2 INTS 9 Sacks
Record 1-1

Last edited:
I am not, nor ever will be a Bears fan and I'm old. I remember very few good offensive lines the Bears have ever had. Walter Payton was truly amazing in that he ran behind some very pathetic O-lines and still put up the numbers he did. Gail Sayers made his O-lines look better than they were. When Jerry Vainisi became GM, he emphasized a strong D and a strong O-line and had a mediocre QB. He won a Superbowl. It seems that when they come upon a decent O-line, they do well. The fat boys win championships while the other guys get the big bucks and the girls When they exclusively worry about anything else, they are generally mediocre at best. As a Lions fan, I've known what suck is. I hope the Bears continue in their folly.

Percentage of snaps taken by Bears RBs

Swift 67%
Homer 25%
Herbert 10%
Johnson 0%

Explain?

-Connor Burns

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT