ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

So, you're the only guy watching what's going on? That is unfair and completely untrue. My point was this. It was a little surprising considering their other needs. I have seen two Chicago sports writers and people on ESPN and the NFL channel say the same thing. They weren't watching either?
If you're still watching ESPN for anything other than live sports, I don't know what to tell you.

The Bears got an upgrade at safety and a versatile RB that fits what the new OC wants to do. Since you're so into what the talking heads think, The Athletic graded the Swift signing as an "A" and had this to say.

"Swift rushed for 1,049 yards and five touchdowns on 229 carries; he also recorded 39 catches for 214 yards and a touchdown for Philadelphia. Regardless of what they do at quarterback, the Bears badly needed a reliable back after trying to piece together a rushing attack last season."

You guys need to relax, yesterday was just the first legal day of tampering, the league year doesn't even begin until tomorrow. They have plenty of time to address other needs. Those that aren't addressed should be clues as to what Poles plans to do in the draft.

Who are these big name WRs you speak of? There are some that have Mooney ranked as a top 5 available free agent, that doesn't speak well for the WR free agent class. There's Calvin Ridley, Marques Brown, and everyone else.

The biggest DL remaining that the Bears should target is Danielle Hunter from the Vikings.

How is the market coming to Poles? There were better RBs and safeties signed yesterdsy for more money. Just because he set a budget and stuck to it for those positions doesn't mean the market is coming to him.
I like what he has done so far. Upgraded RB and filled a need at S without tossing out big bucks, he still has plenty to work with.

Reactions: 4Afan
Everything I have read and heard says Fields doesn't want to play WR. In fairness, I haven't seen anything on that subject in a while. Poles seems to be a good poker player. But the Vikings are acquiring Sam Darnold. That is telling me Fields isn't worth what people think he's worth as a QB in a deal. Of course Kirk Cousins was the best QB available in free agency so there's that.
Terrible year to try and trade a QB given who all the free agents were.

Fields could be a back up this year with specially designed packages, but then would walk as a free agent after next year. I still say he gets traded, it may be during the season and the return won't be as great but I think Poles finds a trade partner.

If Lamar Jackson won the Super Bowl last year like most expected then Justin Fields stock would have gone up.

Wow! Think this says all we need to know about how Fields is perceived around the league. Mooney hasn’t even cracked 500 yds last 2 seasons.
Even grading systems like PFF have rated Mooney much lower than the money he is getting.

He definitely lucked into the positive side of supply and demand.

Also not a great year for free agent WR. Look up the "top WR free agent" lists and you don't get very far down the list before reaching "who?" level. The few I looked up had Mooney as #3 best available a couple days ago.

Reactions: 4Afan
Wow! Think this says all we need to know about how Fields is perceived around the league. Mooney hasn’t even cracked 500 yds last 2 seasons.
That's one way to look at it. The other is that WR is a highly in demand position and you have to pay for them. $13 mil/year isn't even in the top 20 salaries for WRs based on 2023 salaries for the position.

Higgins requested a trade but it would have to be picks next year.
Or they could trade the #9 pick if it were the right package. Without evaluating the trade or determining the value of the picks here's what that could look like if we're spitballing.

Bears get- Tee Higgins, 18th overall pick, Bengals 3rd round pick, and maybe a 4th next year.

Bengals get- 9th overall pick

This trade would need to be done just before the Bears are on the clock because the only way the Bears should make this trade would be if Nabers and Odunze have already been taken, which is becoming more and more likely.

Or they could trade the #9 pick if it were the right package. Without evaluating the trade or determining the value of the picks here's what that could look like if we're spitballing.

Bears get- Tee Higgins, 18th overall pick, Bengals 3rd round pick, and maybe a 4th next year.

Bengals get- 9th overall pick

This trade would need to be done just before the Bears are on the clock because the only way the Bears should make this trade would be if Nabers and Odunze have already been taken, which is becoming more and more likely.
Interesting……Bears willing to sign a long term deal with him also plays into it. But they kinda have 4 years before they have to “pay” a QB. So you set up contracts for that though I doubt they’d go longer than 4 and if so they could cut with no ramifications cap wise or very little. Obviously assuming they draft Williams.

Interesting……Bears willing to sign a long term deal with him also plays into it. But they kinda have 4 years before they have to “pay” a QB. So you set up contracts for that though I doubt they’d go longer than 4 and if so they could cut with no ramifications cap wise or very little. Obviously assuming they draft Williams.
To make a trade for a franchise player the fee is 2, Number 1 picks. You think a WR that’s not even the best guy on his own team or in his own division is worth that?

To make a trade for a franchise player the fee is 2, Number 1 picks. You think a WR that’s not even the best guy on his own team or in his own division is worth that?
Who's giving up two #1 picks? Higgins would be a #1 WR on most teams and I'd put him in the same tier as DJ Moore. In my example all the Bears give up is the #9 pick.

That's one way to look at it. The other is that WR is a highly in demand position and you have to pay for them. $13 mil/year isn't even in the top 20 salaries for WRs based on 2023 salaries for the position.
This guy couldn’t crack 500 yards two years in a row. I imagine he isn’t ranked in top 50 WRs over that time frame, hell maybe not top 75.

According to statmuse, Christian Kirk is 25th in WR yards past 2 years with 1895. Mooney has about 900.

This guy couldn’t crack 500 yards two years in a row. I imagine he isn’t ranked in top 50 WRs over that time frame, hell maybe not top 75.

According to statmuse, Christian Kirk is 25th in WR yards past 2 years with 1895. Mooney has about 900.
Last year was obviously a bad year, but the year before ge was out hurt for most of it.

Trade Fields for Tee Higgins. I would not trade the #9 pick unless you’re trying to move up to get Odunze. Just me. I would trade Fields and #9 to secure Odumze.
The Bears currently don't have the draft capital to move up. Even if you offer Fields and #9, the teams ahead of the Bears at #9 no longer need a QB. Start finding a new player to fall in love with, Odunze is now a long shot.

The Bears currently don't have the draft capital to move up. Even if you offer Fields and #9, the teams ahead of the Bears at #9 no longer need a QB. Start finding a new player to fall in love with, Odunze is now a long shot.
Yes you’re prolly right but a man can dream! Lol
Let’s see if Poles can work his magic. Some one might need Fields and a #9 pick to give us a chance.

Yes you’re prolly right but a man can dream! Lol
Let’s see if Poles can work his magic. Some one might need Fields and a #9 pick to give us a chance.
Nope. First 4 picks are pretty much locked. 5 is the chargers and I think they take Alt. Either Nabers or Odunze would be great with Herbert but Harbaugh loves his running game so he needs to beef up the O line. The 6-8 is NYG, TEN, and ATL and both receivers would be great on any of those teams and they don't need QBs.

They might have a use for #9 and a Backup for Joe. Joe has been somewhat injury prone.
Time to be realiatic and move on man, no one is going to do the Bears any favors just so they can get whoever they want.

But Fields is good. 😊 I mean FA has shown what teams think of him. Sad but it’s really telling.
No necessarily, it's just a terrible year to trade a QB and even more so when you factor in where Fields is at in his contract. If he's traded he would need to immediately be extended or whoever he is traded to would need to pick up his 5th year option for 2025 by May 2.

Crap! Texans signed DE Danielle Hunter from Vikes. Really wanted Bears to get him. 2 year $49 mil

No necessarily, it's just a terrible year to trade a QB and even more so when you factor in where Fields is at in his contract. If he's traded he would need to immediately be extended or whoever he is traded to would need to pick up his 5th year option for 2025 by May 2.
Which is what 2-+ million?
Hell they might end up releasing him.

I will take Odunze over Higgins easy. Odunze is going to be a stud.
We all would, especially given how much cheaper his rookie contract would be but it's looking less and less likely he'll be there at #9.

Trade down the #1 pick and take Odunze. Forget about the diva.
lol, diva….it’s such conjecture that he’s a diva………….
Is MHJ a diva???? He blew off the combine cause he had football things to work on.

Maybe they are getting smart and figured out they don’t need to bow down to the underwear Olympics….

Last edited:
Reactions: corey90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT