ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

Man, I wish you were my boss. I'd march into your office and demand at least a $250k salary, tell you I'll only work Tuesday-Thursday, and won't be in before 10am and wait for you to pat me on the back and tell me what a natural leader I am.
Lol
😂 you make me laugh. Damn!

• Haha
Reactions: 4Afan
Huh? You made the comment that teams were in favor of drafting a QB rather than trading for Fields. I responded that they were waiting for free agency.
Fields is still on the Bears, it appears other teams feel he isn’t worth what Poles thinks. Sad when we have a QB that other teams don’t believe he is worth what we want after watching him play. The only thing other teams are unsure of is the changing OC every year. We better hope they believe that’s his entire problem because if they don’t we get absolutely nothing. Junk picks, cut him or keep him. Right now other teams are calling our bluff IMO.

Bears just picked up a FA Safety from Philly . What do you think?
Meh, don't hate it. Veteran guy who is a 2 time all pro but had a down year last year. Hopefully a change of scenery will do him good. In my opinion it's a lateral move from Jackson at this point.

Meh, don't hate it. Veteran guy who is a 2 time all pro but had a down year last year. Hopefully a change of scenery will do him good. In my opinion it's a lateral move from Jackson at this point.
Actually reading about him he had 122 tackles in 23 a career best. I don’t know much about him so I will hold judgement on him.

This list is a little old and changes a little with Stroud, but heres a fun look at QBs drafted 2 overall. Can include Stroud, Tua, and Zack Wilson.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-draft-history-every-quarterback-161133643.html
Look. I know what you are saying and I get it. You are NOT saying number one overall QB picks are always successful. We know they aren't. What you ARE saying is the first pick QBs are best coming from that spot as opposed to any other single pick, not all other picks combined. But some guys around here like to twist words in posts to fit their narrative or simply don't understand what another poster is saying, but comment anyway. Every year there is only one first pick. Then there are all the others. Again, I get it and you are right.

Reactions: stl705
How many of the later round QBs were drafted to find that diamond in the rough? It’s a joke we’re even having this conversation. If you’re trying to compare all the #1’s to all the other rounds it’s apples to oranges. Your also saying all the experts are idiots and your the smart one. Do the real math if you’re going to compare.
Again, this isn't what he is saying. You ask about how many QB later round draft picks turn out to be diamonds in the rough. So I will ask you how many later round QB draft picks are out of the league in a few years, or spend their careers as a backup? More fall into the latter group I am sure.

Reactions: corey90
Not exclusively, but it's a big factor. If not for his numbers please explain the Williams hype.
I remember when the Bears signed Doug Flutie. A decision Mike Ditka pushed for. A bunch of people wondered what the hell the Bears were doing and I remember Ditka made a point to say Flutie threw for more than 10,000 yards in college. How did that signing work out? 😄 😄

Man, I wish you were my boss. I'd march into your office and demand at least a $250k salary, tell you I'll only work Tuesday-Thursday, and won't be in before 10am and wait for you to pat me on the back and tell me what a natural leader I am.
If I was your boss and you did this, you'd be out the door before you finished your salary request. 😄 😄 😄

He is light years better than what is on this roster. It’s improvement - significant improvement.
Maybe it is. But are they meeting their immediate needs? Or, maybe they are grabbing him before anyone else does and he was in the plans anyway.

Maybe it is. But are they meeting their immediate needs? Or, maybe they are grabbing him before anyone else does and he was in the plans anyway.
It’s the first 90 minutes of free agency. The Bears sign a player better than anyone on the roster at that position and we are already asking if they are meeting their immediate needs? Really?

Yes a signing just upgrade. If you take Fields out of the rushing numbers, Herbert Johnson and Foreman combined to finish 22nd in the league in efficiency. So yes this was a need and filled at a very reasonable price.

Much like the Byard signing at safety. Two time all pro at way below what the market will be for higher priced safeties.

I’m just amazed at what this bears fan base has become.

If I was your boss and you did this, you'd be out the door before you finished your salary request. 😄 😄 😄
Its all about leverage though. If i was your #1 whatever, and not easily replaceable, you need to hear me out. Williams has leverage. Purdy wasn’t going to be able to walk into the combine last year and tell the NFL people “no medicals for me”. The assumed #1 pick in the draft can.

We are entering the beginning of the NIL/portal world reaching the pros. Like it or not, better get used to it.

Its all about leverage though. If i was your #1 whatever, and not easily replaceable, you need to hear me out. Williams has leverage. Purdy wasn’t going to be able to walk into the combine last year and tell the NFL people “no medicals for me”. The assumed #1 pick in the draft can.

We are entering the beginning of the NIL/portal world reaching the pros. Like it or not, better get used to it.
What is this leverage you speak of? He's more than likely the #1 pick whether it's the Bears or not so what does he achieve by being difficult?

How does NIL in college translate to leverage in the draft? All he's doing is creating negative opinions of him. Rookie deals in the NFL are fairly straight forward so I'm not sure what leverage he is creating.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Another potential trade destination for Fields has picked up a QB. Cousins to Atlanta.

We gotta have the most injury prone RBs ever assembled all time 😂. Fun day here 👀.

Regarding Fields, sounds like hes going to be a backup in 2024 unless Las Vegas comes in with an offer.

What is this leverage you speak of? He's more than likely the #1 pick whether it's the Bears or not so what does he achieve by being difficult?

How does NIL in college translate to leverage in the draft? All he's doing is creating negative opinions of him. Rookie deals in the NFL are fairly straight forward so I'm not sure what leverage he is creating.
If someone offered me $20 million (or whatever $$$), and said I could either A: sit over here and answer questions, or B: I get $20 mil and sit over here and answer questions, and do medicals, and run some sprints, and lift some weights, and throw a football, I'm choosing A. That's leverage.

He said he'll do medicals with teams interested in drafting him, and he'll have a pro day. As a potential #1 pick, he has the leverage to dictate terms.

My NIL comment isn't specifically about leverage in the draft. It's more about the new reality of college players (and high school), already being "pro" long before they ever get to the draft. All the people screaming "back in my day", aren't going to change that.

• Haha
Reactions: corey90
If someone offered me $20 million (or whatever $$$), and said I could either A: sit over here and answer questions, or B: I get $20 mil and sit over here and answer questions, and do medicals, and run some sprints, and lift some weights, and throw a football, I'm choosing A. That's leverage.

He said he'll do medicals with teams interested in drafting him, and he'll have a pro day. As a potential #1 pick, he has the leverage to dictate terms.

My NIL comment isn't specifically about leverage in the draft. It's more about the new reality of college players (and high school), already being "pro" long before they ever get to the draft. All the people screaming "back in my day", aren't going to change that.
Being that he's gonna be the #1 pick regardless of what he chooses to do is not leverage.

Leverage would be if he had something on one of the teams or the league as a whole and he were to say if you don't let me do "x" then I'm not entering the draft and the league caving in to him. Him refusing a medical evaluation isn't going to change him being the #1 pick, so where is the leverage? It's just him being difficult and giving the illusion that he is difficult to work with.

I still don't get your NIL comment and how it has changed anything regarding the draft process. This will be the 2nd or 3rd draft since NIL went into place and I don't recall it ever coming up at any point in the draft process.

We gotta have the most injury prone RBs ever assembled all time 😂. Fun day here 👀.

Regarding Fields, sounds like hes going to be a backup in 2024 unless Las Vegas comes in with an offer.
Poles will trade him, but will be forced to accept a much lower offer than he originally wanted. Bears need to pick up his 5th year option by May 2 and that is for $25 million so they're not going to pick that up and then bench him.

Reactions: stl705

Jesus H Christ. I was kidding!! What the hell is up the ass of most of you today? 😄 😄

It’s the first 90 minutes of free agency. The Bears sign a player better than anyone on the roster at that position and we are already asking if they are meeting their immediate needs? Really?

Yes a signing just upgrade. If you take Fields out of the rushing numbers, Herbert Johnson and Foreman combined to finish 22nd in the league in efficiency. So yes this was a need and filled at a very reasonable price.

Much like the Byard signing at safety. Two time all pro at way below what the market will be for higher priced safeties.

I’m just amazed at what this bears fan base has become.
I must say in all of the conversations in the media, by Bears officials, and print, it seems to me that getting a RB wasn't in the top three of needs. I have heard, WR, OL, DL, DB, QB and even LB more than RB talk. That is what gives me the idea it wasn't an immediate need like the others. An upgrade? Yes. But, I just haven't heard talk about RBs as much as the other groups. Boy, people around here are getting angrier about something. Maybe it's the weather. 😄😄

I must say in all of the conversations in the media, by Bears officials, and print, it seems to me that getting a RB wasn't in the top three of needs. I have heard, WR, OL, DL, DB, QB and even LB more than RB talk. That is what gives me the idea it wasn't an immediate need like the others. An upgrade? Yes. But, I just haven't heard talk about RBs as much as the other groups. Boy, people around here are getting angrier about something. Maybe it's the weather. 😄😄
I certainly heard many say they thought they could sign a RB.

Exactly a RB was not on the shopping list. It was OL DL Pass Rusher WR and QB for some and replace Eddie J and depth.

Well depth is well gone with only 5 draft picks.

And for FA are the Eagles the only team the. Bears scout. The OL from the Bills many claim this guy is no good when playing Center.

The 2x pro bowler they got. What years was this guy in the pro bowl?

There was a Bear on the 2019 Pro Bowl and he absolutely sucked.

Last edited:
Exactly a RB was not on the shopping list. It was OL DL Pass Rusher WR and QB for some and replace Eddie J and depth.

Well depth is well gone with only 5 draft picks.

And for FA are the Eagles the only team the. Bears scout. The OL from the Bills many claim this guy is no good when playing Center.

The 2x pro bowler they got. What years was this guy in the pro bowl?

There was a Bear on the 2019 Pro Bowl and he absolutely sucked.
He was an all pro, not a pro bowler, which to me is better and more highly regarded. He was all pro in 2017 and 2021. In 10 games with the Eagles, Byard totaled 75 tackles, one interception and three pass breakups in 2023.

He's an upgrade over Jackson.

It's only one day into free agency, still plenty of time to address all their needs.

Reactions: Wassup13
He was an all pro, not a pro bowler, which to me is better and more highly regarded. He was all pro in 2017 and 2021. In 10 games with the Eagles, Byard totaled 75 tackles, one interception and three pass breakups in 2023.

He's an upgrade over Jackson.

It's only one day into free agency, still plenty of time to address all their needs.

Sounds good and anybody is an upgrade over EJ so I'm all good with this particular move.

I just not in favor of people boasting he was all pro 2x when they don't add it was 3 and 7 years ago.

The only thing I would say here is I would have rather seen the Bears draft this position instead because the Bears have shown they do very well at drafting DBs like Gordon and Brisker. I rather they stick with their strength and draft this position.

Last edited:
Sounds good and anybody is an upgrade over EJ so I'm all good with this particular move.

I just not in favor of people boasting he was all pro 2x when they don't add it was 3 and 7 years ago.

The only thing I would say here is I would have rather seen the Bears draft this position instead because the Bears have shown they do very well at drafting DBs like Gordon and Brisker. I rather they stick with their strength and draft this position.
This is a horrendous draft for safeties and a very good free agency for safeties this is an excellent signing.

If you watch, and by reading this thread no one has, Poles has set the bar for what he will spend where. He did it with Johnson Byard and Swift.

They have a ton of cap space left and there are some very big name wide outs and defensive linemen available.

Poles is playing this very smart. The market is coming to him as it should for any GM that does his homework.

I still don’t expect a splash of epic proportions but I expect he will fill the roster gaps smartly.

This is a horrendous draft for safeties and a very good free agency for safeties this is an excellent signing.

If you watch, and by reading this thread no one has, Poles has set the bar for what he will spend where. He did it with Johnson Byard and Swift.

They have a ton of cap space left and there are some very big name wide outs and defensive linemen available.

Poles is playing this very smart. The market is coming to him as it should for any GM that does his homework.

I still don’t expect a splash of epic proportions but I expect he will fill the roster gaps smartly.
I agree with the last three paragraphs 100%.

I would like your thoughts.....I feel the NFL has spoken and they do not believe that Fields is a starting QB.

Should the Bears think outside the box and Fields realize his career as a starting QB are over? I feel Fields could convert to WR and have a somewhat successful career in the NFL. He has a 4.4 speed, height and size to succeed in the NFL at the position. Reminds me of a more stable Terrelle Pryor.

Thoughts?

So, you're the only guy watching what's going on? That is unfair and completely untrue. My point was this. It was a little surprising considering their other needs. I have seen two Chicago sports writers and people on ESPN and the NFL channel say the same thing. They weren't watching either?

I would like your thoughts.....I feel the NFL has spoken and they do not believe that Fields is a starting QB.

Should the Bears think outside the box and Fields realize his career as a starting QB are over? I feel Fields could convert to WR and have a somewhat successful career in the NFL. He has a 4.4 speed, height and size to succeed in the NFL at the position. Reminds me of a more stable Terrelle Pryor.

Thoughts?
Who's the backup qb in Houston? Much like Mac Jones now backing Trevor Lawrence, he could swallow pride and be open to being a multithreat 2nd string alongside former teammate Stroud. Fields could pull it off here, but I think a different team helps.

Thoughts?
Everything I have read and heard says Fields doesn't want to play WR. In fairness, I haven't seen anything on that subject in a while. Poles seems to be a good poker player. But the Vikings are acquiring Sam Darnold. That is telling me Fields isn't worth what people think he's worth as a QB in a deal. Of course Kirk Cousins was the best QB available in free agency so there's that.

Who are these big name WRs you speak of? There are some that have Mooney ranked as a top 5 available free agent, that doesn't speak well for the WR free agent class. There's Calvin Ridley, Marques Brown, and everyone else.

The biggest DL remaining that the Bears should target is Danielle Hunter from the Vikings.

How is the market coming to Poles? There were better RBs and safeties signed yesterdsy for more money. Just because he set a budget and stuck to it for those positions doesn't mean the market is coming to him.

So, you're the only guy watching what's going on? That is unfair and completely untrue. My point was this. It was a little surprising considering their other needs. I have seen two Chicago sports writers and people on ESPN and the NFL channel say the same thing. They weren't watching either?
There is no order in how to address needs, FA just started. They filled S and RB in a FA period where there was a strong group to choose from. S was a need so not sure why that was included. They have the money and thought they got a good deal with Swift, he is a complete upgrade at RB. I think Poles is trying to be pragmatic in his FA signings and not screw the pooch years down the road. You know this but lets see what needs are filled in FA/draft before we really have a full opinion on it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT