ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

100% agree
Something not being talked about is the possibility of the Bears keeping #1 and trading #9. Poles has said from day 1 that he wants to build this team through the draft and as it stands now they only have 5 draft picks so he could take Williams #1 and trade out of #9 for more draft capital.

Something not being talked about is the possibility of the Bears keeping #1 and trading #9. Poles has said from day 1 that he wants to build this team through the draft and as it stands now they only have 5 draft picks so he could take Williams #1 and trade out of #9 for more draft capital.
Is that something you want? I mean we need a legit threat on the other side of DJ Moore. I don’t think it’s wise to let a play maker like Adumze get away. He IMO is a gamer who fight for the ball. If the Bears can get him at #9. I say get him!
Is their away for the Bears to move up from #9 with a trade of Fields?

Last edited:
Not saying I want that, but it would not surprise me if Poles did it for more draft capital. He's proven he can find talent outside of the first round, but needs more picks to do that. There are a number of good receivers outside of the top 3 so I wouldn't get too attached to Odunze. Especially after his combine performance it's less and less likely he'll still be there at #9. I've said since October that I like him but if another team falls in love with him and offers the Bears a bunch of picks for #9 I think Poles would take the deal.

Only mock I've seen with Bears moving up while trading Fields was a real longshot and has very little chance of happening, but it was the Bears trading Fields and #9 to NE for #3.

Not saying I want that, but it would not surprise me if Poles did it for more draft capital. He's proven he can find talent outside of the first round, but needs more picks to do that. There are a number of good receivers outside of the top 3 so I wouldn't get too attached to Odunze. Especially after his combine performance it's less and less likely he'll still be there at #9. I've said since October that I like him but if another team falls in love with him and offers the Bears a bunch of picks for #9 I think Poles would take the deal.

Only mock I've seen with Bears moving up while trading Fields was a real longshot and has very little chance of happening, but it was the Bears trading Fields and #9 to NE for #3.
That’s the thing with the draft. Just when you think you have it all figured out it blows your mind on what can or will happen. I just hope the Bears do their homework and don’t screw it up. It’s not often you get the #1 & #9 picks in the first round. The Bears have needs to improve I hope the make the right moves to improve the team now and into the future.

That’s the thing with the draft. Just when you think you have it all figured out it blows your mind on what can or will happen. I just hope the Bears do their homework and don’t screw it up. It’s not often you get the #1 & #9 picks in the first round. The Bears have needs to improve I hope the make the right moves to improve the team now and into the future.
Agree, but to fill as many needs as possible that's where trades to get more draft picks comes in.

From my view, Bears are in a tough spot at 9. I think Odunze is far and away better than any WR prospect below him, and Bears need to make sure they get him.

We need to surround Williams with top flight talent, and not getting one of these top 3 WRs would be a major mistake. I’m not in favor of trading down at all… gotta get Odunze (or Nabers).

From my view, Bears are in a tough spot at 9. I think Odunze is far and away better than any WR prospect below him, and Bears need to make sure they get him.

We need to surround Williams with top flight talent, and not getting one of these top 3 WRs would be a major mistake. I’m not in favor of trading down at all… gotta get Odunze (or Nabers).
Agree, all I was saying is mentally prepare for Poles to potentially make a move.

Also, if Williams is the next great thing then why does he need top talent around him? If he's that great he should be able to make the players around him better.

Do I have this right-- The Bears are now down to 5 draft picks this year while most other teams have 10?

Reactions: 4Afan
First off I would only keep Fields if we can’t get a trade done that makes sense. Bo Nix isn’t the talent that Williams is and I think he will end up being a backup somewhere. I could be wrong. I do believe Bryce Young will eventually get much better. Panthers are Awful worse than the Bears and that’s saying something. I don’t know if Williams will be what everyone is predicting but I sure don’t want to see him go to another team and shove it down our throats. No risk no reward. I am not totally sure about Fields but I have had a rule that a QB gets 3 years to prove himself. I haven’t seen enough improvement to say he’s our guy and pass on the #1 pick. Just my opinion.

I get you Corey on Fields but I just don't think you can grade Fields having to go through three OCs.

You sir are correct, but I think there's only 6 teams with 10 or more picks.

Hmm. And you wonder why the Bears lack depth after Pace trading away so many draft picks for nothing in return or crappy players.

Reactions: 4Afan
Agree, all I was saying is mentally prepare for Poles to potentially make a move.

Also, if Williams is the next great thing then why does he need top talent around him? If he's that great he should be able to make the players around him better.
He’s a promising QB, not Jesus. Mooney, Scott, Velus Jones, EQ St. Brown, Dante Pettis, Claypool… these are guys that are probably out of the league sooner than later.

The goal isn’t to compete, it’s to win. I think the Bengals model is the route to go by giving your top flight passer top flight WR options.

Reactions: corey90
He’s a promising QB, not Jesus. Mooney, Scott, Velus Jones, EQ St. Brown, Dante Pettis, Claypool… these are guys that are probably out of the league sooner than later.

The goal isn’t to compete, it’s to win. I think the Bengals model is the route to go by giving your top flight passer top flight WR options.
And what have the Bengals won?

They'll draft WRs and get at least one in free agency, but if williams is all they say he is then he should be fine with a 3rd round WR rather than a 1st. Especially when I've seen a few mock drafts that have Bears taking one of his USC WRs.

And what have the Bengals won?

They'll draft WRs and get at least one in free agency, but if williams is all they say he is then he should be fine with a 3rd round WR rather than a 1st. Especially when I've seen a few mock drafts that have Bears taking one of his USC WRs.
The Bengals went to the SB in 1/2 of Burrow’s healthy seasons. How longs it been since the Bears won a playoff game? 15 years ago?

If they draft Williams, that means they are trading Fields. Will add some sort of pick(s) there. Seems all over the place with what that might be though.

You love Williams, think he's great, and could be the Bears franchise QB. You also think you've seen enough of Fields to know he isn't the guy yet you want to draft Williams and have him play back up to a guy you admit isn't the guy? I'm gonna need you to explain that logic to me.

Penix injuries are a concern, but I feel he has a high ceiling and if you pair him with his college teammate his development would be accelerated. Also, with him being a lefty that makes Wright the RT his blindside blocker and he was already one of the top tackes in the league as a rookie so that helps keep him healthy.

Nix will be a starter, he's the most experienced prospect in the draft. He's started more college games than anyone, ever. He also has the highest completion percentage in college football history. He's more accurate than Williams by almost 10% this past year and Williams had 30 TDs and 5 INTs to Nix's 45 TDs and 3 INTs. Williams gets credit for being a scrambler, but Nix had over 100 more yards rushing.

To use your words, Williams COULD BE the guy, but he also could not be the guy. Where do you see him growing as a pro? As a player I feel he's peaked. His skills will help him do well initially, but with so many agile, athletic QBs in the league these days defenses are catching up to that quicker and quicker. He has far better character off the field, but on the field I get Johnny Manzel vibes from him and we all know how well he did in the NFL. I would love to be wrong on him, but watching him play I don't see generational can't miss prospect.

The consensus last year by most everyone was that the Panthers taking Bryce Young at #1 was the way to go. How's that working out so far?
This is how I am leaning. But I would like to see the Bears take Marvin Harrison Jr. first then Penix. If they can get a 2nd rounder for Fields, take it.

If they draft Williams, that means they are trading Fields. Will add some sort of pick(s) there. Seems all over the place with what that might be though.
With each passing day the market for Fields softens and once free agency starts next week, all bets are off. Poles won't just give him away so, yes, the intention is to trade him but the return is slowly depreciating.

Reactions: stl705
This is how I am leaning. But I would like to see the Bears take Marvin Harrison Jr. first then Penix. If they can get a 2nd rounder for Fields, take it.
Penix? If that’s the answer to replace fields I’m worried what the question is.

Penix? If that’s the answer to replace fields I’m worried what the question is.
I am not saying that is the answer. Any draft pick is an unknown quantity. But Fields clearly isn't the answer in my thinking. I hate to have to take any QB with the first pick unless the Bears can get a quality receiver at number nine. I like the big body on Harrison and hate to pass on him. But, they will need a QB if Fields is dealt, which seems to be a unanimous thought with people who don't make the Bears' decisions. 😄

The one guy who is screwing this whole thing up is Fields himself. If the damned guy had played better we wouldn't be having this conversation and the Bears wouldn't have to use the number one pick for a QB and could just get Harrison, then an O lineman at nine. Or even trade a couple spots down and still get Harrison. It sucks when you don't have QB good enough to eliminate the discussion.

I like Penix but just don’t think they will be able to keep up right. Very weak knee', to me he looks really fragile for the NFL. To many injuries in college for me to take a chance unless it was in the later rounds.

Every stat you can find shows #1 overall QBs are by far best bet for your money and produce at a far higher clip than any other QB draft spot, it’s night and day. The Penix talk is nothing but a pipe dream. Theres a far greater difference between Penix and Williams right now than Harrison and Odunze.

It’s Caleb Williams time boys and girls. I still expect Fields trade to be completed before FA starts, any minute now.

Every stat you can find shows #1 overall QBs are by far best bet for your money and produce at a far higher clip than any other QB draft spot, it’s night and day. The Penix talk is nothing but a pipe dream. Theres a far greater difference between Penix and Williams right now than Harrison and Odunze.

It’s Caleb Williams time boys and girls. I still expect Fields trade to be completed before FA starts, any minute now.
Yup
And please don’t bother posting #1 QBs that busted…we know.

Who was the last quarterback drafted first overall that won a Super Bowl? Who was the last Heisman qb to win a Super Bowl? Prior actions are not indicative of future results.

Who was the last quarterback drafted first overall that won a Super Bowl? Who was the last Heisman qb to win a Super Bowl? Prior actions are not indicative of future results.
Just a few years ago, Matt Stafford. The Heisman means nothing, the #1 overall does. It’s not fool proof. But it’s the best gamble you can get.

If we want to talk SBs, we won’t be discussing too long. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe there are 4 active starting QBs who have won a SB and only 2 active QBs have won it within a decade!!

Mahomes + Stafford recently.
Flacco and Rodgers 10+ yrs ago.

Edit forgot Russ Wilson’s which is 10 years ago.

I mean that's just objectively false. Here is every QB drafted #1 overall since 1990. 3 out of 21 have won a Super Bowl and only 2 are Mannings

1990 — QB Jeff George, Indianapolis Colts
1993 — QB Drew Bledsoe, New England Patriots
1998 — QB Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts
1999 — QB Tim Couch, Cleveland Browns
2001 — QB Michael Vick, Atlanta Falcons
2002 — QB David Carr, Houston Texans
2003 — QB Carson Palmer, Cincinnati Bengals
2004 — QB Eli Manning, New York Giants
2005 — QB Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers
2007 — QB JaMarcus Russell, Oakland Raiders
2009 — QB Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions
2010 — QB Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams
2011 — QB Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers
2012 — QB Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts
2015 — QB Jameis Winston, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2016 — QB Jared Goff, Los Angeles Rams
2018 — QB Baker Mayfield, Cleveland Browns
2019 — QB Kyler Murray, Arizona Cardinals
2020 — QB Joe Burrow, Cincinnati Bengals
2021 — QB Trevor Lawrence, Jacksonville Jaguars
2023 — QB Bryce Young, Carolina Panthers

Of the last 20 Super Bowls there were 5 #1 picks to win and 4 of those 5 wins were by a Manning. The failure rate of QBs drated #1 is far higher than their successes.

Last edited:
I mean that's just objectively false. Here is every QB drafted #1 overall since 1990. 3 out of 21 have won a Super Bowl and only 2 are Mannings

1990 — QB Jeff George, Indianapolis Colts
1993 — QB Drew Bledsoe, New England Patriots
1998 — QB Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts
1999 — QB Tim Couch, Cleveland Browns
2001 — QB Michael Vick, Atlanta Falcons
2002 — QB David Carr, Houston Texans
2003 — QB Carson Palmer, Cincinnati Bengals
2004 — QB Eli Manning, New York Giants
2005 — QB Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers
2007 — QB JaMarcus Russell, Oakland Raiders
2009 — QB Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions
2010 — QB Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams
2011 — QB Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers
2012 — QB Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts
2015 — QB Jameis Winston, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2016 — QB Jared Goff, Los Angeles Rams
2018 — QB Baker Mayfield, Cleveland Browns
2019 — QB Kyler Murray, Arizona Cardinals
2020 — QB Joe Burrow, Cincinnati Bengals
2021 — QB Trevor Lawrence, Jacksonville Jaguars
2023 — QB Bryce Young, Carolina Panthers

Of the last 20 Super Bowls there were 5 #1 picks to win and 4 of those 5 wins were by a Manning. The failure rate of QBs drated #1 is far higher than their successes.
Go compare that list to QBs drafted 2nd. Compare them to QBs drafted 2-5. Compare it to QBs draftes 5-10.

If you want the links i’ll get them, but chances of getting a 4K passer are much much higher at 1 overall than any other spot.

Here’s a good analysis of what I’m talking about. Not just superbowls but success at rhe position. This is from Dave Kluge:

Last edited:
Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Go compare that list to QBs drafted 2nd. Compare them to QBs drafted 2-5. Compare it to QBs draftes 5-10.

If you want the links Ill get them, but chances of getting a 4K passer are much much higer at 1 overall than any other spot.

Here’s a good analysis of what I’m talking about. Not just superbowls but success at rhe position. This is from Dave Kluge:
Make up your mind, do you want wins or yards? Of those 4,000 yard passers drafted #1 overall in your link only 3 of 13 won a Super Bowl and Stafford was the only non Manning.

Overall, only nine #1 overall picks have won a Super Bowl. 21 of 58 Super Bowl wins have come from a QB drafted anywhere in round 1. So statistically you're odds are better taking a QB in any other round than round 1 and certainly not in your favor with #1 overall.

Make up your mind, do you want wins or yards? Of those 4,000 yard passers drafted #1 overall in your link only 3 of 13 won a Super Bowl and Stafford was the only non Manning.

Overall, only nine #1 overall picks have won a Super Bowl. 21 of 58 Super Bowl wins have come from a QB drafted anywhere in round 1. So statistically you're odds are better taking a QB in any other round than round 1 and certainly not in your favor with #1 overall.
How many of the later round QBs were drafted to find that diamond in the rough? It’s a joke we’re even having this conversation. If you’re trying to compare all the #1’s to all the other rounds it’s apples to oranges. Your also saying all the experts are idiots and your the smart one. Do the real math if you’re going to compare.

How many of the later round QBs were drafted to find that diamond in the rough? It’s a joke we’re even having this conversation. If you’re trying to compare all the #1’s to all the other rounds it’s apples to oranges. Your also saying all the experts are idiots and your the smart one. Do the real math if you’re going to compare.
His argument was #1 overall vs. any other pick. I showed that #1 failures are higher than successes overall

Reactions: Gene K.
His argument was #1 overall vs. any other pick. I showed that #1 failures are higher than successes overall
Listen you have only 1 #1 you have how many all others in every years draft. I mean you have to count all of them against 1. It’s not even close. How about you say all the #1,2,3,4.5 see how they compare to all ? Maybe I am misunderstanding your logic.

Reactions: stl705
What would you think if Fields ends up with the Vikings?

Love
Williams
Fields
Goff

Let the best man win.

Listen you have only 1 #1 you have how many all others in every years draft. I mean you have to count all of them against 1. It’s not even close. How about you say all the #1,2,3,4.5 see how they compare to all ? Maybe I am misunderstanding your logic. There are 259 picks in the draft and yes only one #1.

What would you think if Fields ends up with the Vikings?

Love
Williams
Fields
Goff

Let the best man win.
For Bears to deal Fields in-division, I think it would have to be far and away the best offer and one Bears can’t refuse. I think Pittsburgh or Las Vegas will be the team.

For Bears to deal Fields in-division, I think it would have to be far and away the best offer and one Bears can’t refuse. I think Pittsburgh or Las Vegas will be the team.
Pittsburgh is meeting with Wilson in the coming days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT