ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

Corey, the reason I'm skeptical is that the crying may show softness in his personality that the chicago press would eat him alive. there has been plenty of players that came to chicago and wilted under the pressure. Trubisky is the latest one.
People give too much credit to the Chicago press. A lot of those guys (Brad Biggs) carry water for the team.

Reactions: corey90
Yes but it’s also no shock.
I know, but when Poles says things like if they decide to trade Fields, they want it done before free agency, this is why. He made it sound like it would be out of the goodness if his heart towards Fields. But, reality is, once free agent period starts, potential trade partners will disappear daily, and the “price” goes down

People give too much credit to the Chicago press. A lot of those guys (Brad Biggs) carry water for the team.
The Sun Times' sports reporters are much harsher on the Bears than the Trib reporters. I read the Trib only on Sundays. Personally, I think their sports section is a joke.

The Sun Times' sports reporters are much harsher on the Bears than the Trib reporters. I read the Trib only on Sundays. Personally, I think their sports section is a joke.
The talking heads on sports radio are the worst

LWeastDad
The Bears picked up a free agent OL from the Bills today, he might play Center!
It was a trade for a 5th round pick. Now the Bears only have 5 draft picks and none on day 3 of the draft and they got a Center that played 38 snaps all of last year.

Yes they absolutely would. Gotta take off the homer glasses. He played well, but is still a back up to an all-pro OL.
No homer glasses needed.
I would love to see him on the Bears. Allgretti might be better than any of the linemen we currently have. Why would he want to come to the Bears. I believe he has 3 rings and counting.

Russel Wilson being cut today could hurt the Bears in trading Fields. He'll likely sign somewhere for vet minimum. Steelers/Falcons/etc. could pay Wilson $1.21 million, and also save draft picks.

If your not getting a 2nd round pick for Fields, which personally I think is too low anyhow -- just keep him. He has more value staying on the team.

Reactions: 4Afan
Who do you want out of the first two picks of the draft?

I know nobody thinks like me but I keep Fields and trade down for #1 for two more draft picks in hopes to get a center and pass rusher with those picks.

Then I take Nabors or the Washington WR at #8.

I changed my mind on Harrison. Don't want him. May be for a bad reason but it was rare I would see his father catch the football on crossing routes across the middle of the field. His father was good but I really did not like him.

• Haha
Reactions: PowerI66

I know nobody thinks like me but I keep Fields and trade down for #1 for two more draft picks in hopes to get a center and pass rusher with those picks.

I changed my mind on Harrison. Don't want him. May be for a bad reason but it was rare I would see his father catch the football on crossing routes across the middle of the field. His father was good but I really did not like him.
Nope
Take Williams @ #1 keep Fields if no one is willing to trade and draft Odumze @ #9 if he is there. I agree with you about Harrison. I would rather have Odumze if we can get him. We just got a Center in a trade. More lineman in free agency. 👍

Wait so why is there hate for Marvin????
He’s the most talented guy in the draft by many many many people…

Edit, I see now. A poster didn’t see his dad catch many balls over the middle of the field…. That might be a top 5 dumbest take on here ever, and that’s saying something.

Nope
Take Williams @ #1 keep Fields if no one is willing to trade and draft Odumze @ #9 if he is there. I agree with you about Harrison. I would rather have Odumze if we can get him. We just got a Center in a trade. More lineman in free agency. 👍

Wow you surprise me a lot there.

Keep Fields since we cannot get much for him. You want Fields behind Williams.

Odunze over Harrison. Totally agree.

Center. Got one in free agency! Great. I still want another young Center also in the draft to groom for this team.

We are not so apart on this anymore.

Reactions: corey90
If they keep Fields I have two trains of thought on the draft.

Option 1:

Stay at #1 and #9 and draft Harrison #1 and an Edge at #9, either Turner or Verse. Harrison is the best player in the draft, don't over think it. One of the funnier things I've heard here is to pass on him because of something his father may or may not have done when he played 20 years ago when it was legal to decapitate a WR coming across the middle vs. now where it's basically 2 hand touch.

Fo those who say they can trade back and still get Harison, it's possible, but not guaranteed. They would need to trade with WAS or NE to make it happen because ARI will not pass on him at #4. Even if they do trade with WAS or NE there's not guarantee they won't take Harrison. While both are most likely to take a QB either one may decide to sign Wilson or Cousins in free agency prior to the draft.

Option 2:

Trade back from #1 twice. Trade one is with WAS and gets the Bears the redskins #2 pick, their higher 2nd round pick (they have two), and 1st round next year in exchange for #1.

Trade #2 is with Denver. Bears get #12 pick, Broncos 3rd round pick this year (they don't have a 2nd round pick), 1st and 2nd round picks in 2025 in exhange for #2.

This gives the Bears #9 and #12. At #9 take Odunze or Nabers.

With the #12 pick they take either Turner or Verse, if availabe. If not then either Newton, the DT from U of I or Wiggins, the CB from Clemson.

Then use the early 2nd round pick from WAS to take Penix or Nix to sit behind Fields for a year.

That gives the Bears 3 first round picks in 2025, a top 3 WR from this class and either one of the top 2 Edge rushers or the top interior DL or top CB. Plus a QB in waiting taken early in the 2nd round.

Wow you surprise me a lot there.

Keep Fields since we cannot get much for him. You want Fields behind Williams.

Odunze over Harrison. Totally agree.

Center. Got one in free agency! Great. I still want another young Center also in the draft to groom for this team.

We are not so apart on this anymore.
If you look back on threads posted I actually said they should keep Fields and draft Williams. Let Fields play and have Williams learn. Somehow now that Fields stock is dropping people are starting to agree with me. 😊

Reactions: Wassup13
Wait so why is there hate for Marvin????
He’s the most talented guy in the draft by many many many people…

Edit, I see now. A poster didn’t see his dad catch many balls over the middle of the field…. That might be a top 5 dumbest take on here ever, and that’s saying something.
I actually like Marvin but think Adomze plays with an edge. I also don’t believe Marvin will be available @9. Adomze might?

If they keep Fields I have two trains of thought on the draft.

Option 1:

Stay at #1 and #9 and draft Harrison #1 and an Edge at #9, either Turner or Verse. Harrison is the best player in the draft, don't over think it. One of the funnier things I've heard here is to pass on him because of something his father may or may not have done when he played 20 years ago when it was legal to decapitate a WR coming across the middle vs. now where it's basically 2 hand touch.

Fo those who say they can trade back and still get Harison, it's possible, but not guaranteed. They would need to trade with WAS or NE to make it happen because ARI will not pass on him at #4. Even if they do trade with WAS or NE there's not guarantee they won't take Harrison. While both are most likely to take a QB either one may decide to sign Wilson or Cousins in free agency prior to the draft.

Option 2:

Trade back from #1 twice. Trade one is with WAS and gets the Bears the redskins #2 pick, their higher 2nd round pick (they have two), and 1st round next year in exchange for #1.

Trade #2 is with Denver. Bears get #12 pick, Broncos 3rd round pick this year (they don't have a 2nd round pick), 1st and 2nd round picks in 2025 in exhange for #2.

This gives the Bears #9 and #12. At #9 take Odunze or Nabers.

With the #12 pick they take either Turner or Verse, if availabe. If not then either Newton, the DT from U of I or Wiggins, the CB from Clemson.

Then use the early 2nd round pick from WAS to take Penix or Nix to sit behind Fields for a year.

That gives the Bears 3 first round picks in 2025, a top 3 WR from this class and either one of the top 2 Edge rushers or the top interior DL or top CB. Plus a QB in waiting taken early in the 2nd round.
Boy we could not further apart on what we want the Bears to do. I don’t like any of your options. Your thinking is having Penix or Nix as our future with Fields being the starter. Penix is injury prone and Nix will be a backup his entire career. Fields has 3 years under his belt and has shown us enough to know he isn’t a franchise Quarterback. To me your plan is to have a serviceable QB like the Bear fans seem to always except because that’s all they have ever had. Williams could be the first QB that the Bears have ever had that has the talent to actually be a franchise quarterback and you want to just pass on him. Funny

Does Williams have an agent yet? This could be trouble. Maybe Lavar Ball is available?

• Haha
If your not getting a 2nd round pick for Fields, which personally I think is too low anyhow -- just keep him. He has more value staying on the team.
Interesting. The market now for QBs may look very different down the road.

If they keep him and pick WIlliams at #1, then they have Fields for two years as a backup or trade bait if they want him. It's not what he would want but, TS, this is a business. Very rare is the season that goes by when a team's starting QB in game 1 starts in every regular season game.

Also, is it crazy to wonder if he could be used in ways other than under center?

Reactions: Wassup13

The one we just got is only 27, and we got him in a trade, not FA. Gone are the days when teams can afford to groom high draft picks. Groom a fifth round or lower pick if you want, but the Bears just gave up a 5th round pick for this center.

If you look back on threads posted I actually said they should keep Fields and draft Williams. Let Fields play and have Williams learn. Somehow now that Fields stock is dropping people are starting to agree with me. 😊
I understand that QBs are a different breed, and that tradition holds that you want to give rookie QBs space to learn while not under fire, but is that still an absolute these days?

What happens if Williams is obviously the better of the two in the preseason? How do they not start Williams in a case like that?

Last edited:

In case you don't know...Marvin Harrison was a first team All Pro three times...was an All Pro second team five times...caught 1102 passes for 14,580 yards with 128 TDs. I am sure at least some of those were in the middle of the field. Oh and by the way...he is also in the HOF.

Marvin Harrison was a hell of a lot more than just good. You can do better than that.

Boy we could not further apart on what we want the Bears to do. I don’t like any of your options. Your thinking is having Penix or Nix as our future with Fields being the starter. Penix is injury prone and Nix will be a backup his entire career. Fields has 3 years under his belt and has shown us enough to know he isn’t a franchise Quarterback. To me your plan is to have a serviceable QB like the Bear fans seem to always except because that’s all they have ever had. Williams could be the first QB that the Bears have ever had that has the talent to actually be a franchise quarterback and you want to just pass on him. Funny
You love Williams, think he's great, and could be the Bears franchise QB. You also think you've seen enough of Fields to know he isn't the guy yet you want to draft Williams and have him play back up to a guy you admit isn't the guy? I'm gonna need you to explain that logic to me.

Penix injuries are a concern, but I feel he has a high ceiling and if you pair him with his college teammate his development would be accelerated. Also, with him being a lefty that makes Wright the RT his blindside blocker and he was already one of the top tackes in the league as a rookie so that helps keep him healthy.

Nix will be a starter, he's the most experienced prospect in the draft. He's started more college games than anyone, ever. He also has the highest completion percentage in college football history. He's more accurate than Williams by almost 10% this past year and Williams had 30 TDs and 5 INTs to Nix's 45 TDs and 3 INTs. Williams gets credit for being a scrambler, but Nix had over 100 more yards rushing.

To use your words, Williams COULD BE the guy, but he also could not be the guy. Where do you see him growing as a pro? As a player I feel he's peaked. His skills will help him do well initially, but with so many agile, athletic QBs in the league these days defenses are catching up to that quicker and quicker. He has far better character off the field, but on the field I get Johnny Manzel vibes from him and we all know how well he did in the NFL. I would love to be wrong on him, but watching him play I don't see generational can't miss prospect.

The consensus last year by most everyone was that the Panthers taking Bryce Young at #1 was the way to go. How's that working out so far?

I’m behind any plan that doesn’t include keeping them both. That would be an absolute disaster imo. The Bears aren’t that good in the first place, we dont need the locker room split too. I’m excited for Williams if we go that route (I believe we are).

At 9 I am strongly in favor of WR Odunze from Washington. I’m concerned about this pick though that we will be forced to trade down to accumulate more picks.

Reactions: corey90 and GoBlers
I’m behind any plan that doesn’t include keeping them both. That would be an absolute disaster imo. The Bears aren’t that good in the first place, we dont need the locker room split too. I’m excited for Williams if we go that route (I believe we are).

At 9 I am strongly in favor of WR Odunze from Washington. I’m concerned about this pick though that we will be forced to trade down to accumulate more picks.
If Odunze is there at 9 they need to take him.

Reactions: corey90 and stl705
You love Williams, think he's great, and could be the Bears franchise QB. You also think you've seen enough of Fields to know he isn't the guy yet you want to draft Williams and have him play back up to a guy you admit isn't the guy? I'm gonna need you to explain that logic to me.

Penix injuries are a concern, but I feel he has a high ceiling and if you pair him with his college teammate his development would be accelerated. Also, with him being a lefty that makes Wright the RT his blindside blocker and he was already one of the top tackes in the league as a rookie so that helps keep him healthy.

Nix will be a starter, he's the most experienced prospect in the draft. He's started more college games than anyone, ever. He also has the highest completion percentage in college football history. He's more accurate than Williams by almost 10% this past year and Williams had 30 TDs and 5 INTs to Nix's 45 TDs and 3 INTs. Williams gets credit for being a scrambler, but Nix had over 100 more yards rushing.

To use your words, Williams COULD BE the guy, but he also could not be the guy. Where do you see him growing as a pro? As a player I feel he's peaked. His skills will help him do well initially, but with so many agile, athletic QBs in the league these days defenses are catching up to that quicker and quicker. He has far better character off the field, but on the field I get Johnny Manzel vibes from him and we all know how well he did in the NFL. I would love to be wrong on him, but watching him play I don't see generational can't miss prospect.

The consensus last year by most everyone was that the Panthers taking Bryce Young at #1 was the way to go. How's that working out so far?
First off I would only keep Fields if we can’t get a trade done that makes sense. Bo Nix isn’t the talent that Williams is and I think he will end up being a backup somewhere. I could be wrong. I do believe Bryce Young will eventually get much better. Panthers are Awful worse than the Bears and that’s saying something. I don’t know if Williams will be what everyone is predicting but I sure don’t want to see him go to another team and shove it down our throats. No risk no reward. I am not totally sure about Fields but I have had a rule that a QB gets 3 years to prove himself. I haven’t seen enough improvement to say he’s our guy and pass on the #1 pick. Just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT