ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

That trade is also thought to be one of the worst ever and there really hasn't been a trade close to that since.

I'd say the Herschel Walker trade between Dallas and Minnesota approaches the Saints-Washington trade in terms of worst ever. Johnson absolutely fleeced the Vikes on that one. Yes, I know it came before the Saints-Washington deal.

Caleb Williams wasn’t on the table. That’s the difference this year

They gave up all that for a 1-AA prospect
And in my opinion they panicked. They knew the Jags and Jets would likely take QBs so they made a move to make sure no one else got a QB before they did.

Also, at the time Lance was shooting up draft boards due to his performance at the combine.

If front offices think Williams is what scouts think he is, the Bears will get a ton even for a move from #2 to #1. That is the point IMO. I don't think that will happen.
Agree to disagree. I don't see DC giving up a massive haul to move up one spot. Mainly because then it limits their future ability to build around him.

It appears many of you think the Bears should just trade the #1 pick to whoever and try to get more draft picks. I think you guys are happy with just being a middle of the road team that makes the playoffs. I am not a fan of just being good enough to make a playoff game or win a playoff game. If you think we can win a SB with an average QB than your completely not in touch of reality. Yes we won in 1985 with the punky QB. You do realize we also had the best defense in the history of the NFL. IMHO. That’s a freaking crap shoot lucky star and 1 in a billion chance we sniff a SB with an average QB. I am not totally sold on Williams but I am a USC fan and watched every game he played. I will tell you he is a special talent and a much better leader than Fields. I give pause because of a few crappy games he played. That said USC defense was horrible and their offensive line was bad. He played with virtually the same as what the Bear's have to offer except if they draft a receiver and some additional talent for Fields they might just be better than what he had in college. I am not saying we should draft him but it’s not as easy to just dismiss him for a few draft picks at lower value. It’s a quality over quantity thing for me.

Agree to disagree. I don't see DC giving up a massive haul to move up one spot. Mainly because then it limits their future ability to build around him.
Forget the “one spot”, if they think he’s the guy they will do what it takes. Teams gets desperate and unpredictable especially with top QBs. Not saying they get more than last year but I’m saying it’s not off the table.

It appears many of you think the Bears should just trade the #1 pick to whoever and try to get more draft picks. I think you guys are happy with just being a middle of the road team that makes the playoffs. I am not a fan of just being good enough to make a playoff game or win a playoff game. If you think we can win a SB with an average QB than your completely not in touch of reality. Yes we won in 1985 with the punky QB. You do realize we also had the best defense in the history of the NFL. IMHO. That’s a freaking crap shoot lucky star and 1 in a billion chance we sniff a SB with an average QB. I am not totally sold on Williams but I am a USC fan and watched every game he played. I will tell you he is a special talent and a much better leader than Fields. I give pause because of a few crappy games he played. That said USC defense was horrible and their offensive line was bad. He played with virtually the same as what the Bear's have to offer except if they draft a receiver and some additional talent for Fields they might just be better than what he had in college. I am not saying we should draft him but it’s not as easy to just dismiss him for a few draft picks at lower value. It’s a quality over quantity thing for me.
The goal isn’t mediocrity. The blue print is KC or SF, and both are a bit different.

1. Draft Williams and hope he’s as good as Mahomes (or maybe Burrow)

OR

2. If they can find a team willing to give up a major haul for the pick, then you build a team of pro bowl types on both sides of the ball and try to plug in a decent QB if Fields doesn’t show improvement

Reactions: colin2229
No one wants that.

Facts are only a small % of high drafted qbs actually pan out and some qbs come out of no where.

because of that, the thought of trading the pick and still drafting a qb early is intriguing.

Reactions: 4Afan
The goal isn’t mediocrity. The blue print is KC or SF, and both are a bit different.

OR

2. If they can find a team willing to give up a major haul for the pick, then you build a team of pro bowl types on both sides of the ball and try to plug in a decent QB if Fields doesn’t show improvement
Agreed ✊🏼✊🏼

OR

Or we don’t draft him and he is the next Mahomes, Burrow or Allen. It’s a real conundrum. That’s why Poles is being paid the big bucks.

I
Not me. I think it’s pretty much set that they are going to keep 1. Where I think it gets interesting is what do they do at 9?

With no second round pick and the high likelihood that Nabers Harrison and Odunze are gone, I could see them trading down in the first round taking the center from Oregon and nabbing a second round pick. You can argue a lot with what Poles has done but for the most part his drafts have turned out well.

I don’t think they trade up from 9 because I think the desire is to get a second round pick that they don’t have.

I

Not me. I think it’s pretty much set that they are going to keep 1. Where I think it gets interesting is what do they do at 9?

With no second round pick and the high likelihood that Nabers Harrison and Odunze are gone, I could see them trading down in the first round taking the center from Oregon and nabbing a second round pick. You can argue a lot with what Poles has done but for the most part his drafts have turned out well.

I don’t think they trade up from 9 because I think the desire is to get a second round pick that they don’t have.
If they keep one they will have at least a 2nd round pick from trading Fields.

I

Very interesting take and one that I haven't read anywhere yet. I like it because if they do draft Williams at 1, then they use their next pick to protect him with a stud in the middle and use that second round pick to pick up quality help at WR. Or, if they draft Harrison at #1, then they have that stud C protecting Fields plus giving him what is hopefully a can't miss #2 WR likely to become a #1 WR in relatively short order.

If they use their three first picks on the offense, then I'd like to see them go after a quality edge rusher like Allen, Burns or Huff in free agency.

I think the key in trading down is to find a trading partner that is desperate for that #9 pick because they must use it to fill a need that you don't have. If you trade down too far, then you run the risk that your C from Oregon will be gone.

Forget the “one spot”, if they think he’s the guy they will do what it takes. Teams gets desperate and unpredictable especially with top QBs. Not saying they get more than last year but I’m saying it’s not off the table.
That's the thing though, the "one spot" matters. Every past massive trade that people have brought up have involved moving up at least 6 or 7 spots. The only one spot move example was the one I through out there with the Trubisky trade and the moment it happened Bears fans thought they gave up way too much to move up one spot.

Even if a team falls head over heals for "their guy" there is a limit to what they'll give up for only jumping one spot. Here's a good link to kind of gage what NFL teams use to determine what picks are worth based on assigning a value for each pick based on trades from the last several years. Yes, some teams will over pay, but not as much as you think they will to move up one spot.

Using this chart the difference between the #1 pick and #2 pick is 283 points, whereas the jump from #9 to #1 (what Carolina did last year) is 613 points. So to make the trade worthwhile for the team trading out of the #1 spot it warrants a bigger haul the more spots they trade back.

True but still believe if the 3 wide outs are done he is moving out of that pick. May do it anyway to get the guy he wants.
What if you keep #1 trade fields and the #9 for #3. Draft Harrison, Odumza or Bowers? Team needing QB, Fields fills that void maybe they don’t need to draft #3 and are willing to take a 9th pick.

😂
Well they can’t make everyone happy.
Wassup
I will add, I don’t like any option that the Bears don’t draft a talented game changer. Receiver, Quarterback, DE or DT. Someone that can actually make plays that can win games. If they walk away with a bunch of nobody’s having a #1 & 9 pick then I give up. 😂

What if you keep #1 trade fields and the #9 for #3. Draft Harrison, Odumza or Bowers? Team needing QB, Fields fills that void maybe they don’t need to draft #3 and are willing to take a 9th pick.
I am not ruling anything out. If they move out of 1 they likely get a haul. Areas think they have to address in the draft - WR, Edge, Guard and Center. It’s a good draft for center and edge but after you get past the top 3 at wide out it’s a pretty big decline.

I still think they move on from fields. Don’t want them too but I think that’s what may happen.

Wassup
I will add, I don’t like any option that the Bears don’t draft a talented game changer. Receiver, Quarterback, DE or DT. Someone that can actually make plays that can win games. If they walk away with a bunch of nobody’s having a #1 & 9 pick then I give up. 😂

I know we usually agree but the difference is I don't believe in this QB crop coming out this year even with the so called experts hyping of the QBs.

Since I don't believe in this QB crop I'm willing to trade down with #1 and for the first time in Bears history since 85 address our holes at WR Center Pass Rusher and replacing E Jackson. That gives us a well rounded strongest 22 starters we have had in a long time but will still be missing depth.

Am I right the Bears only have 6 draft picks this year while other good teams have 10? When was the last time the Bears had all their draft picks available to them? This may be the reason they have depth problems at every position continuously.

I’d keep an eye out on a possible Fields trade coming soon. If he’s not dealt by next week, Bears will be keeping him. His value in a trade is highest before FA starts on 3/13.

I’m hearing rumors of discussions between the usual suspects, but one team I have suspicion but no whispers is the Patriots.

3 overall + 34 overall for Fields + 9 overall feels like a trade that works for both teams.

I’d keep an eye out on a possible Fields trade coming soon. If he’s not dealt by next week, Bears will be keeping him. His value in a trade is highest before FA starts on 3/13.

I’m hearing rumors of discussions between the usual suspects, but one team I have suspicion but no whispers is the Patriots.

3 overall + 34 overall for Fields + 9 overall feels like a trade that works for both teams.
I would take that deal, but the Patriots would be giving up ground on both sides of it. Would be shocked if it happened

Reactions: 4Afan

No chance Pats make that deal.

Atlanta has moved to a -250 favorite to land Fields.

It's all guessing, but every report/article I've seen says maybe a second or third round this year, with conditional pick next year based on how this year goes for him. Trading for #34 straight up might be a long shot. Forget about the first round swap. But, who knows, teams get goofy over QB's all the time.

with Williams I can’t get past the crying. If he is crying after a loss what is he going to do with the barracudas in the press when things start going south? And they will go south at times. Will he go into a shell? Will he act like cutler and blow everyone off? To me, field’s is exactly what the bears have said they want.

If the Bears want to discard Fields and then draft Williams #1, what makes you think the Pats (who also have a huge need at QB) would want the Bears' discard plus a #9 pick when they can have their #3 pick of the second or third best QB in the draft?

If the Bears want to discard Fields and then draft Williams #1, what makes you think the Pats (who also have a huge need at QB) would want the Bears' discard plus a #9 pick when they can have their #3 pick of the second or third best QB in the draft?
Teams needing a QB sometimes are willing to do the unthinkable. I don’t know the answer for the Bears. Look I am a USC fan. I have watched every game they played. Williams is a special talent no doubt. Is he the Bears choice? I have know idea. I saw a few games where Caleb didn’t look good and that gave me a pause. Look he isn’t going to be worse than Fields let me get that out there. Is he going to save the Bears and finally give the Bears a legit QB? Who knows. I don’t think Fields will ever be the guy although he will be serviceable. I definitely think Williams is a leader. If the Bears don’t pick him and he develops in to the star generational talent as the experts say then the Bears just will look like they have always looked. It’s no wonder stories come out how the top draft picks don’t want to play for Chicago.

But Corey a QB who cries when he loses and has to be comforted by his mother after a loss just does not spell out Bears football to me.

Bears football is Plank, Fencik, Butkus, Marshall, Payton, Dent, McMichael and the rest. It's blue collar tough guys ready to kick the sh** out of the opponent.

Not about soft guys who run home to their mummy.

Reactions: Gene K.
But Corey a QB who cries when he loses and has to be comforted by his mother after a loss just does not spell out Bears football to me.

Bears football is Plank, Fencik, Butkus, Marshall, Payton, Dent, McMichael and the rest. It's blue collar tough guys ready to kick the sh** out of the opponent.

Exactly

I don’t know all about that, I viewed it that he cares that much about winning. Players cry for many reasons your saying he cries because he’s a baby fits your narrative . I disagree to me he shows he hates losing. We will see where he lands and then we can watch how he handles himself.

LOL.... 40 year olds walking around today never saw any of the players you list actually play. "Bears football" to most people is losing.

I don’t know all about that, I viewed it that he cares that much about winning. Players cry for many reasons your saying he cries because he’s a baby fits your narrative . I disagree to me he shows he hates losing. We will see where he lands and then we can watch how he handles himself.
Being emotional after a loss because you're so competitive is one thing, but jumping into the stands to cry in mom's lap is something different.

He's got more than enough talent, but to me the red flags are between his ears. His performances against ranked teams this year also don't give me confidence in him.

That's the thing though, the "one spot" matters. Every past massive trade that people have brought up have involved moving up at least 6 or 7 spots. The only one spot move example was the one I through out there with the Trubisky trade and the moment it happened Bears fans thought they gave up way too much to move up one spot.

Even if a team falls head over heals for "their guy" there is a limit to what they'll give up for only jumping one spot. Here's a good link to kind of gage what NFL teams use to determine what picks are worth based on assigning a value for each pick based on trades from the last several years. Yes, some teams will over pay, but not as much as you think they will to move up one spot.

Using this chart the difference between the #1 pick and #2 pick is 283 points, whereas the jump from #9 to #1 (what Carolina did last year) is 613 points. So to make the trade worthwhile for the team trading out of the #1 spot it warrants a bigger haul the more spots they trade back.
The chart is great but you pay a premium when it’s known you are moving for a QB. The chart just assumes swapping picks etc…

Being emotional after a loss because you're so competitive is one thing, but jumping into the stands to cry in mom's lap is something different.

He's got more than enough talent, but to me the red flags are between his ears. His performances against ranked teams this year also don't give me confidence in him.
A4 you maybe right. I don’t personally know him nor do you but one thing is certain someone is going to draft him and prolly #1. If the Bears pass on him and he turns out as good as advertised then we can all complain about Bears management. The Bears have a history of making poor decisions in the draft why would anyone expect them to be different this year. Wassup brings up Mahomes almost every thread when comparing QBs that the Bears could have drafted.

• Haha
Reactions: LTHSALUM76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT