ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

Has any team had a string of consecutive QBs like Favre then Roger's and now maybe Love?

To my knowledge when Aaron Rodgers won the league MVP that is the only time in the Super Bowl era where a team has drafted an MVP to replace a previous league MVP. The only other similar situation was 49er's when Steve Young replaced Joe Montana but 49er's traded for Young and did not draft him.

To my knowledge when Aaron Rodgers won the league MVP that is the only time in the Super Bowl era where a team has drafted an MVP to replace a previous league MVP. The only other similar situation was 49er's when Steve Young replaced Joe Montana but 49er's traded for Young and did not draft him.
Andrew Luck and Payton Manning would be similar as well but Luck never won MVP.

The Lions and Packers are both ahead of the Bears. They both have a better QB. I wouldn't be so quick to say the Bears will even make the playoffs next year. That is unless they draft Harrison, trade Fields for a second round pick and then take Penix with the 9th pick.

Looking at their home opponents for 2024, they have TEN, NE and CAR all coming in. Those games should all be wins. But GB, DET, MIN, SEA, LAR and JAX are also coming to Chicago and none of those are a gimmie. I read the Bears are playing in Europe and will lose a home game, I think.

The Bears go on the road to DET, GB, MN, HOU, SF, INDY and again, no gimmies and some very tough ones. They also visit WAS and ARI in games they should win.

At this point, I am looking at five games they should definitely win. The others I am nowhere sure about. Even if they split with DET and MIN that is still only 7 wins. Maybe they will win one of the others so that is 8 wins. BUT, maybe they will lose one of the ones I think they should win. So today, I see the Bears winning 8 games and possibly 9. But no more than 9. I think I might be a little generous.

• Haha
Reactions: 4Afan
The Lions and Packers are both ahead of the Bears. They both have a better QB. I wouldn't be so quick to say the Bears will even make the playoffs next year. That is unless they draft Harrison, trade Fields for a second round pick and then take Penix with the 9th pick.

Looking at their home opponents for 2024, they have TEN, NE and CAR all coming in. Those games should all be wins. But GB, DET, MIN, SEA, LAR and JAX are also coming to Chicago and none of those are a gimmie. I read the Bears are playing in Europe and will lose a home game, I think.

The Bears go on the road to DET, GB, MN, HOU, SF, INDY and again, no gimmies and some very tough ones. They also visit WAS and ARI in games they should win.

At this point, I am looking at five games they should definitely win. The others I am nowhere sure about. Even if they split with DET and MIN that is still only 7 wins. Maybe they will win one of the others so that is 8 wins. BUT, maybe they will lose one of the ones I think they should win. So today, I see the Bears winning 8 games and possibly 9. But no more than 9. I think I might be a little generous.
Bears best chance of making the playoffs next year is with Penix? Don’t know about that.

Best chance is if they get a competent OC.

Reactions: lweastdad

My too-early-to-predict record next year:

Wins: vs. Tennessee, vs NE, vs Carolina, vs Detroit, vs MN, vs Seattle, @ MN, @ Washington and @ Arizona

Losses: vs GB, vs Jax, vs LAR, @ Detroit, @ GB, @ Houston, @ SF and @ Indy

I feel with Bears having a good defense, they can also beat Jax and LAR at home.

They seem to always play MN well, and lately against Detroit, so I gave them four total victories there.

With the salary cap the NFL has so much parity. You cannot make any predictions on record till you see how rosters shake out.

Many would take the Dolphins over the Bears right now. However, the Dolphins are currently 40 million over the cap and have to sign Tua to a long term deal.

Bears best chance at playoffs is with Fields….kinda dumb to think otherwise.
Now if we want to talk best chance for SB in next 5 years that’s a different discussion.

Bears best chance at playoffs is with Fields….kinda dumb to think otherwise
Now if we want to talk best chance for SB in next 5 years that’s a different discussion.

Well do you believe that Fields has the best raw athletic talent compared to any Bear QB in history?

Total package athletic talent yes and it’s not close…I think Cutler was a better QB at this point in Fields career.
[/heyday.

Agreed and even with his size helps out with durability.

I was never a fan of Cutler and his 3 turnovers per game.

With the salary cap the NFL has so much parity. You cannot make any predictions on record till you see how rosters shake out.

Many would take the Dolphins over the Bears right now. However, the Dolphins are currently 40 million over the cap and have to sign Tua to a long term deal.
Your logical thinking has no place here. You're only allowed to speak in absolutes and extremes when referencing the Bears, there is no middle ground.

It amazes me how people are trying to predict next years schedule and assume the Bears won't be any better before one transaction takes place on any team.

Trades, free agency, cap casualties, franchise tags, and 4 teams on the Bears schedule will have new coaches. I would love to hear the logic behind how you're predicting the 2024 schedule.

Has any team had a string of consecutive QBs like Favre then Roger's and now maybe Love?
It's almost like the blueprint of having the young QB sit and learn the system and figure out the speed of the NFL before being thrown into the fire actually works.

I never understood how everyone expects a 20-22 year old to be thrown into the NFL and be ready to be a franchise QB from day 1. Does it happen, yes. Is it the norm, and should it be expected, no.

Reactions: Wassup13
Right now my must see QBs in the playoffs are Stroud, Love and Mahomes. I am sure I am missing one.

There are other great ones but I think I have already seen everything they can do.

What about Brady replacing Bledsoe? Similar but not exactly the same. I mean for that matter you could say Farve replaced the Magicman! 😂

Your logical thinking has no place here. You're only allowed to speak in absolutes and extremes when referencing the Bears, there is no middle ground.

It amazes me how people are trying to predict next years schedule and assume the Bears won't be any better before one transaction takes place on any team.

Trades, free agency, cap casualties, franchise tags, and 4 teams on the Bears schedule will have new coaches. I would love to hear the logic behind how you're predicting the 2024 schedule.
Get off your high horse; I'll predict whatever the hell I want.

Beaver damn straight, Corey!

Now, let's get the #8 pick by trading JF to the Falcon. Bears would then have 1, 8 & 9.

That will never happen, although Kiper threw it out there.
No chance the Bears get a first round pick for Fields if they trade him, especially not a top 10 pick.

Beaver damn straight, Corey!

Now, let's get the #8 pick by trading JF to the Falcon. Bears would then have 1, 8 & 9.

That will never happen, although Kiper threw it out there.
😂
Listen I don’t know if I am willing to cash it all in on Fields. If the Bears go QB at #1 who would you take? I do want and will lose my f’ing mind if they don’t get Harrison or Adumze? Weather they draft a QB or not they need to keep DJ and draft one of these receivers. We need game changers not draft picks nobody knows or can even name a year later. The Bears have enough role players they need talented game changers now! They also need a Center!

😂
Listen I don’t know if I am willing to cash it all in on Fields. If the Bears go QB at #1 who would you take? I do want and will lose my f’ing mind if they don’t get Harrison or Adumze? Weather they draft a QB or not they need to keep DJ and draft one of these receivers. We need game changers not draft picks nobody knows or can even name a year later. The Bears have enough role players they need talented game changers now! They also need a Center!
Not a huge JF guy, but I do like the chance of getting a haul, if they trade the #1 pick. If Bear feels there's another QB out there later in R1 that can replace JF, then do it.

You still get the haul and the QB.

No guarantee that will work, so is CW the answer? Or use other picks to surround JF to make him better. Not so sure about that either; JF is who he is at this point.

maybe and I say maybe late 1st...I say that with no research on who has end of R1 picks, fyi.
I don't see it happening. Best mock I saw was the Raiders giving the Bears a 2nd and 4th for Fields. The consensus seems to be a 2nd or 3rd is the best they will get if they choose to trade Fields.

Not a huge JF guy, but I do like the chance of getting a haul, if they trade the #1 pick. If Bear feels there's another QB out there later in R1 that can replace JF, then do it.

You still get the haul and the QB.

No guarantee that will work, so is CW the answer? Or use other picks to surround JF to make him better. Not so sure about that either; JF is who he is at this point.
Interesting
Do you think the Bears can select CW and still add one of the two receivers I mentioned? If so that is pretty enticing but it is still starting completely over. It’s still interesting and fun to talk about. The Bears have needs besides just the AB and Receiver. I just want game changers, can the Bears make smart decisions? I am not sure they can but here we go again. We had what 10 picks last year including the #1 pick and look at what we ended up with, nobody even knows. I mean we did get DJ Moore and that was part of the trade but who did the Bears actually draft?

Reactions: Wittymoniker1
I love people speaking in absolutes during draft talks. Never can happen. Never ever ever. Like a number 3 pick to Miami for veteran LT Laremy Tunsil or two 1st rounders for CB Jalen Ramsey or a R1 #13 for edge DeForest Buckner. Or a R1 #14 for veteran QB Sam Bradford.

If a team is close, in a winnable division, and the draft stock of the position you need is falling, there is precedent of teams overpaying. Sitting top 10 and your choice is the 24 year old (when the 2024 season starts) Michael Penix Jr. or the 25 year old Justin Fields with 3 years of NFL experience. And our barstool GMs say it would never happen. Thank you for that laugh in this character-building weather.

(side note: the two first rounders for Jalen Ramsey from LA to Jacksonville were lower first round picks but they had to give up 2 of them. I say this because from experience, the actual meaning of my post will be missed over a semantic argument about “well it’s not exactly the same situation because of this and that” while the point of the post is teams over pay sometimes and while the likelihood of JF1 garnering a 1st round pick is not high, it’s not weird or wrong for the Bears to ask for one, even a high one, but don’t expect someone to reply to the post and say “yeah you’re right, I was a little too rigid in my analysis”, just understand between us, anything can happen with a varying degree of probability on a wide spectrum of possibilities, I know you understand this great Edgyland reader but some will refuse to because Madden 22 wouldn’t let him make that same trade in franchise mode. End of side note.)

Reactions: doctor_d and 4Afan
Interesting
Do you think the Bears can select CW and still add one of the two receivers I mentioned? If so that is pretty enticing but it is still starting completely over. It’s still interesting and fun to talk about. The Bears have needs besides just the AB and Receiver. I just want game changers, can the Bears make smart decisions? I am not sure they can but here we go again. We had what 10 picks last year including the #1 pick and look at what we ended up with, nobody even knows. I mean we did get DJ Moore and that was part of the trade but who did the Bears actually draft?
The Bears had a good draft last year. Just because it wasn't a big name at a skill position doesn't mean it wasn't a success.

Wright OT round 1 - was one of the best RT's in the league as a rookie.
Dexter DL round 2 - started slow but finished with 2.5 sacks over the last 5 games
Stevenson CB round 2 - finished with 4 INT's as a rookie
Johnson RB round 4 - 500 total yards and 2 TD's without getting a start. With Foreman likely not being resigned he should get quite a few more touches next year.
Smith CB round 5 - 49 tackles in 12 games and graded as the 39th ranked CB out of 128.

For a team to have half of their picks make significant contributions as rookies is a quality draft.

The Bears had a good draft last year. Just because it wasn't a big name at a skill position doesn't mean it wasn't a success.

Wright OT round 1 - was one of the best RT's in the league as a rookie.
Dexter DL round 2 - started slow but finished with 2.5 sacks over the last 5 games
Stevenson CB round 2 - finished with 4 INT's as a rookie
Johnson RB round 4 - 500 total yards and 2 TD's without getting a start. With Foreman likely not being resigned he should get quite a few more touches next year.
Smith CB round 5 - 49 tackles in 12 games and graded as the 39th ranked CB out of 128.

For a team to have half of their picks make significant contributions as rookies is a quality draft.
It was a great draft…

Interesting
I understand your point. I have no idea what they're going to do, but in the end, I am going to trust Poles.

I love people speaking in absolutes during draft talks. Never can happen. Never ever ever. Like a number 3 pick to Miami for veteran LT Laremy Tunsil or two 1st rounders for CB Jalen Ramsey or a R1 #13 for edge DeForest Buckner. Or a R1 #14 for veteran QB Sam Bradford.

If a team is close, in a winnable division, and the draft stock of the position you need is falling, there is precedent of teams overpaying. Sitting top 10 and your choice is the 24 year old (when the 2024 season starts) Michael Penix Jr. or the 25 year old Justin Fields with 3 years of NFL experience. And our barstool GMs say it would never happen. Thank you for that laugh in this character-building weather.

(side note: the two first rounders for Jalen Ramsey from LA to Jacksonville were lower first round picks but they had to give up 2 of them. I say this because from experience, the actual meaning of my post will be missed over a semantic argument about “well it’s not exactly the same situation because of this and that” while the point of the post is teams over pay sometimes and while the likelihood of JF1 garnering a 1st round pick is not high, it’s not weird or wrong for the Bears to ask for one, even a high one, but don’t expect someone to reply to the post and say “yeah you’re right, I was a little too rigid in my analysis”, just understand between us, anything can happen with a varying degree of probability on a wide spectrum of possibilities, I know you understand this great Edgyland reader but some will refuse to because Madden 22 wouldn’t let him make that same trade in franchise mode. End of side note.)
I agree that each situation is unique and you never know what a team will do.

The only thing I will say regarding your examples is that Tunsil, Ramsey, and Buckner were at the top of the league at their positions when traded. Bradford had already earned his 2nd contract and the Eagles ate most of his salary, so that played into why the Vikings gave up a 1st round pick.

The Bears can ask for whatever they want if they're going to entertain trade offers but once word gets out that the asking price is steep, the fewer the offers they'll get (look at the Sox trying to trade Cease).

Fields was drafted at #11 and I don't think he has played his way into being worth a top 10 pick in a trade. Below that the only teams that I think will be looking for a QB are Denver, Vegas, and possibly Pittsburgh. Vegas has been specifically mentioned as a possible trade partner but the best offer I've seen thrown out there was a 2nd and a 4th from Vegas. Any team below that is a playoff team.

Reactions: RockSoup
Monken just gave a clinic on keeping a defense in between and stretching a defense’s definitions of responsibility. And Lamar Jackson and the Ravens executed it all flawlessly. Going back to my list that was poo pooed for being too offensive football 101. You do not see this as much as you like to think, OCs using their most dangerous personnel packages and play design to render the defense defenseless. Waldron is one of my examples of an OC that doesn’t do this simple concept. But many others don’t either at all levels.

Now we get to watch two of the best at stretching a defense’s attention in Shanahan and LaFleur.

Reactions: bronco man
I’ve been in the trade the #1 and keep Fields camp. If Caleb is that good just draft him. His floor is very high, I doubt he’s a bust just maybe not generational as some say.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT