ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

Did any of you watch the Bears press conference with Poles & Eberflus? It was tough to witness. Poles seemed to be reeling a bit but Eberflus came off as a complete idiot. Very embarrassing as a Bears fan that he is our coach. There was nothing he said to instill confidence that he knows what he is doing. They fired all his offensive coaches he hired. Why is he still our coach? Terrible.
I also so no commitment by Poles that Fields is our guy. I think we might draft a QB. I could be wrong but I could be right.
I just hope we don’t screw this up with the #1 & #9 picks in the first round. If they don’t get Harrison or Odumze from Washington I will be very pissed!
I listened and didn't get that at all from Poles.
Eberflus always sounds like a dope in from of a mic.

• Haha
Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Eberflus is an excellent DC, notwithstanding the GB game last week. I also love his modern version of Belichicking the media.

But on to finding an OC:

My OC checklist:
1st down philosophy
Keeping a defense in between
Amount of motion/shifts (more is better, every play is best) and why (and not just read coverage, what specifically are you reading, trying to do with your motion/shifts)
Understands RPO as west coast triple option
High red zone advantage
What is your answer for a Brian Flores-type pressure/sim pressure numbers game?
Called plays before. I don't care what level. What did you learn?
What's your first week installation? Five core personnel packages, alignments and plays in that first week install?
Self scout. What play calling ruts do you find yourself falling into? What defense gives you trouble?
Explain to me about moving a pocket. Diagram a pass play using a non-traditional-pocket.
What offensive lineman do you need at all 5 positions and why?

Is where id start

Reactions: lweastdad
Eberflus is an excellent DC, notwithstanding the GB game last week. I also love his modern version of Belichicking the media.

But on to finding an OC:

My OC checklist:
1st down philosophy
Keeping a defense in between
Amount of motion/shifts (more is better, every play is best) and why (and not just read coverage, what specifically are you reading, trying to do with your motion/shifts)
Understands RPO as west coast triple option
High red zone advantage
What is your answer for a Brian Flores-type pressure/sim pressure numbers game?
Called plays before. I don't care what level. What did you learn?
What's your first week installation? Five core personnel packages, alignments and plays in that first week install?
Self scout. What play calling ruts do you find yourself falling into? What defense gives you trouble?
Explain to me about moving a pocket. Diagram a pass play using a non-traditional-pocket.
What offensive lineman do you need at all 5 positions and why?

Is where id start
These are questions most above average fans could answer. OC candidates are going to be asked about their scheme, pace of play, personnel, who they would target in the draft or free agency, how do they motivate, who they want on their staff.

If they're being considered for an OC position in the NFL whoever is interviewing them already has the answers to the questions you are asking.

These are questions most above average fans could answer. OC candidates are going to be asked about their scheme, pace of play, personnel, who they would target in the draft or free agency, how do they motivate, who they want on their staff.

If they're being considered for an OC position in the NFL whoever is interviewing them already has the answers to the questions you are asking.
Excellent point. Then the problem may line up with who is hearing, interpreting and judging the answers. Because Getsy was a fail on many of those ‘simpleton’ questions I asked. Sorry for boring you.

I listened and didn't get that at all from Poles.
Eberflus always sounds like a dope in from of a mic.
They were both scrambling but yes Eberfool was a dope. Did Eberfool realize Poles just fired all the coaches he picked? Honestly they should’ve fired Eberfool. It’s awkward that he is still around. Usually you cut the head off the snake especially when he hand picked those coaches.

They were both scrambling but yes Eberfool was a dope. Did Eberfool realize Poles just fired all the coaches he picked? Honestly they should’ve fired Eberfool. It’s awkward that he is still around. Usually you cut the head off the snake especially when he hand picked those coaches.
OC/DC get fired all the time and HC stays. Not saying I agree but it is not uncommon. It basically how the Bears operate! Specifically, what was Poles scrambling about?

Reactions: 4Afan
OC/DC get fired all the time and HC stays. Not saying I agree but it is not uncommon. It basically how the Bears operate! Specifically, what was Poles scrambling about?
To be honest I would have to rewatch to remember the crap that was said. All I can say is both me and my wife were watching it and she thought they both looked foolish especially Eberflus. She kept wanting to change the channel because she wanted to 🤮 with the nonsense they were spewing. I agree that is the Bears way. Poles seemed to be holding back when talking about Eberflus. Again seemed awkward.

I don't know if it's me or what. But the more I watch some of the NFL coaches in interviews, post game, etc., the more I see the same thing we get with politicians. They either refuse to answer a simple question or they do and give you a word salad.

I don't know if it's me or what. But the more I watch some of the NFL coaches in interviews, post game, etc., the more I see the same thing we get with politicians. They either refuse to answer a simple question or they do and give you a word salad.
That's why I take no stock in any press conference or interview unless someone drops a bombshell. Can't say that I balme them considering the morons in the press ask them the same questions on a daily basis so I'm sure it gets old.

With all of the Bears issues on offense I don't think a college OC with no pro experience is the answer.
You want a great offensive mind, with an unextended HC. So you better hit a lottery ticket on a QB Coach because no one is making a lateral move into uncertainty.

Some wanted Harbaugh. There is no one more trusted offensively by Harbaugh.

Todd Monken is having success with the Ravens in his first year after winning the National Championship at Georgia. He has had NFL experience.

Shane Waldron? No one OC failed more at items one and two on my ‘pedestrian’ OC checklist and Seattle would be in the playoffs if he got those correct. Seattle fans know. They’ll drive him to Halas Hall. But he passes your NFL experience benchmark.

The Bears have tried an old, successful coach with Martz in a comparable gap year and after being exposed by Belichick and more 4 and 3 being played than 2 now rather than in his successful days in St. Louis, and no WR to make defenses declare their coverage intent, Martz failed.

Now as the NFL game morphs in to the college game more than ever before, taking a college OC makes plenty of sense or is not the non-starter you imply.

So give me the shortlist of NFL retreads and desperados that would take a job situation like this so that I can laugh. Except Frank Reich and Eric Bienemy. I’m ok with them.

Reactions: Silver Rain
Exactly. They act and look dumb.

You want a great offensive mind, with an unextended HC. So you better hit a lottery ticket on a QB Coach because no one is making a lateral move into uncertainty.

Some wanted Harbaugh. There is no one more trusted offensively by Harbaugh.

Todd Monken is having success with the Ravens in his first year after winning the National Championship at Georgia. He has had NFL experience.

Shane Waldron? No one OC failed more at items one and two on my ‘pedestrian’ OC checklist and Seattle would be in the playoffs if he got those correct. Seattle fans know. They’ll drive him to Halas Hall. But he passes your NFL experience benchmark.

The Bears have tried an old, successful coach with Martz in a comparable gap year and after being exposed by Belichick and more 4 and 3 being played than 2 now rather than in his successful days in St. Louis, and no WR to make defenses declare their coverage intent, Martz failed.

Now as the NFL game morphs in to the college game more than ever before, taking a college OC makes plenty of sense or is not the non-starter you imply.

So give me the shortlist of NFL retreads and desperados that would take a job situation like this so that I can laugh. Except Frank Reich and Eric Bienemy. I’m ok with them.
How is the NFL morphing into the college game?

Harbaugh is never happening. The Bears president, Warren, is the former B1G commish and he and Harbaugh don't get along.

Yes, Monken has NFL experience, Moore has not. He's a good coach and maybe his success lands him a college HC position but the Bears aren't in a position to give him his first shot in the NFL unless he wants to be the TE coach or something like that.

Reich and Bienemy is who you're ok with? Reich's only positive is that he's worked with Eberflus before. Bienemy could be the guy, but he wasn't exactly successful in his first year in Washington. Until he proves he can do something without Mahomes and Reid I'm not sold on him.

Bears are going to interview Klint Kubiak, and I love this. He's the passing game coordinator for the 49ers, and that Purdy guy has been doing good things in SF. He was also the Vikings OC in 2021. Anyone coaching under Shanahan gets a leg up from me.

Waldron helped people remember Gino Smith still existed and helped him to the Pro Bowl last year. He's also out of the McVay coaching tree. Regardless of how he measures up to your checklist he's a good play caller.

Zac Robinson is the QB coach for the Rams. Absorbing as much knowledge as he can under McVay can only be a good thing.

Jerrod Johnson is the Texans QB coach and has done well to help develop CJ Stroud. He was also with Eberflus in Indy.

I'm on the fence with how I feel about Kellen Moore. Good play caller and had success in Dallas, but he's never really done it for me.

To a lesser extent, Kliff Kingsbury. He gets negative feedback after his time in Arizona and he's definitely not a HC, he's still a great offensive guy and if the Bears move on from Fields and take Williams there's the familiarity there since Kingsbury is at USC currently.

I get your point that it may be a hard sell since Eberflus wasn't extended, but at the same time if whoever comes in at OC has success right away they would likely have the inside track for the promotion to HC should Eberflus not be the guy after next year or 2025. He wasn't extended but he's still under contract for 2 more years, so it's not as if he's a lame duck HC next year.

So Alabama just hired Kalen DeBoer as HC. What a great hire! This is a perfect fit. Young smart hungry talented coach. I am very impressed with this guy! Roll Tide!
The Bears could learn a few things from the brass at Alabama on how to hire a coach.

Reactions: Silver Rain
Kalen DeBoer knows what's downwind of the subject of another thread and wisely got away from that recruiting shed.

Man, there might be no one I want to have a beer with more than @4Afan. Sorry, Hockey tournament weekend so replies will come as they come. Others will say we should get our own room but pay no mind to them. This is fun.

How is the NFL morphing into the college game?
Well this would take a couple of pages and enough gaps for you to contest each point so we won't waste anybody's time. Maybe when we get that beer, we can discuss further.
Harbaugh is never happening. The Bears president, Warren, is the former B1G commish and he and Harbaugh don't get along.
Correct, which is why I never said that. I said the closest person currently to Harbaugh's mode of operation is Sherrone Moore, and since the Bears can't or won't get Jim Harbaugh, then I am fine with Coach Moore as OC.

Yes, Monken has NFL experience, Moore has not. He's a good coach and maybe his success lands him a college HC position but the Bears aren't in a position to give him his first shot in the NFL unless he wants to be the TE coach or something like that.

Again, not as big of a leap as you are making it out to be. Monken basically developed under Koetter who is basically his own twig. I wouldn't put him on anyone's tree and I wouldn't call him a tree himself since a coaching tree has to have branches to be considered a tree. Sure, you can say Koetter hired Andy Ried to his first gig at UTEP but then I would argue Andy Reid's bigger influence was his time with Mike Holmgren which is obviously a direct link to Bill Walsh.
Harbaugh is also his own stand alone branch influenced by his father, Lindy Infante, Mike Riley etc. But Harbaugh is a branch and Koetter is a twig because of Harbaugh's success completely outshines Koetter's. So a current successful NFL hire from the college ranks whose only previous NFL play calling experience led to the whole staff getting fired, mentored by an ok offensive mind is so much better than a successful college OC taught by a former successful NFL coach showing success vs former NFL coaches' (Saban) defenses, the leap you are trying to make between Monken and Moore is not there.

Reich and Bienemy is who you're ok with? Reich's only positive is that he's worked with Eberflus before. Bienemy could be the guy, but he wasn't exactly successful in his first year in Washington. Until he proves he can do something without Mahomes and Reid I'm not sold on him.

I'd say Reich getting Indianapolis to the playoffs twice and winning a playoff game while losing a franchise QB (Luck) and coaching up an old-shotputting Phillip Rivers and the incredibly inconsistent Carson Wentz into a playoff appearance outweigh missing the playoffs in the final two weeks in the Wentz year. Just because the man has coached for the 2 craziest owners, Irsay and Tepper, should not tarnish his reputation but it does for others, not me. The guy won a SB as an OC with a back up QB. Give all the credit to Pedersen I guess.
Bienemy critique is fine. No other offensive coordinator has been critiqued as much as him. I can say plenty in his defense but they can each be countered so I abstain for now.

Bears are going to interview Klint Kubiak, and I love this. He's the passing game coordinator for the 49ers, and that Purdy guy has been doing good things in SF. He was also the Vikings OC in 2021. Anyone coaching under Shanahan gets a leg up from me.

Waldron helped people remember Gino Smith still existed and helped him to the Pro Bowl last year. He's also out of the McVay coaching tree. Regardless of how he measures up to your checklist he's a good play caller.

Zac Robinson is the QB coach for the Rams. Absorbing as much knowledge as he can under McVay can only be a good thing.

Jerrod Johnson is the Texans QB coach and has done well to help develop CJ Stroud. He was also with Eberflus in Indy.

I'm on the fence with how I feel about Kellen Moore. Good play caller and had success in Dallas, but he's never really done it for me.

To a lesser extent, Kliff Kingsbury. He gets negative feedback after his time in Arizona and he's definitely not a HC, he's still a great offensive guy and if the Bears move on from Fields and take Williams there's the familiarity there since Kingsbury is at USC currently.
Cool. You can say, you just agree with me next time to make these conversations quicker. I lean to hitting a college OC, mentored by a great mind, lottery ticket and you are leaning to the NFL QB coach, passing game coordinator, mentored by great minds, lottery ticket. As Bears fans, we are all well aware of how that could play out.
Oh, and Kellen Moore sucks. He has 'the look', he has the cute Boise St. story but not many men have done less with more than him. You don't like Bienemy's attempt with Sam Howell but are ok with Kellen Moore's inept attempts with Prescott, Lamb, Herbert, Ekeler, Allen? Ok. At least you admitted you are on the fence for both.
Rest of the list is fine besides Waldron. Increasing 13 personnel by 10% and droppin 11 personnel 12% is the route to go after drafting JSN and already having DK and Lockett. Brilliant way of keeping a defense in between (sorry, one of my pedestrian keys). Kenneth Walker would be a household name if the OC wouldn't tip his play and crowd a box and take away defense focus on playmakers so they can run into 8 defenders or play action to a Dissly stick route for 4 yards. Just an absolute failure of understanding leverage that I cannot explain as a barstool OC. I'd say he is holding former first rounder Geno Smith back from greatness. Also a brilliant strategy at taking a playoff roster out of the playoffs. My only guess because you have a very good brain is that you just haven't watched Seahawk games. If the Bears select Waldron I will have to stop watching football.

I get your point that it may be a hard sell since Eberflus wasn't extended, but at the same time if whoever comes in at OC has success right away they would likely have the inside track for the promotion to HC should Eberflus not be the guy after next year or 2025. He wasn't extended but he's still under contract for 2 more years, so it's not as if he's a lame duck HC next year.
Ok. tomayto, tomahto.

CJ Stroud has all day to throw and he is absolutely lighting it up today.
(Tangentially Bears related - I wish we had an O-line/scheme that would allow this)

Reactions: Wassup13
CJ Stroud has all day to throw and he is absolutely lighting it up today.
(Tangentially Bears related - I wish we had an O-line/scheme that would allow this)

Where did the Texans o line come from?

Years ago they had a tough time giving Watson time to throw.

Last edited:
I just heard this on the radio.

Did you know Getsy's Bears had the #1 running game in the NFL this year?

I am sticking to my prediction that the Bears will never beat GB again. Lol.

It's going to be a wildcard route for years to come for Bear seeing how Aaron Favre-Love is dismantling Cowboy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT