ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

Let's be real, the way Caleb acts and dresses will never go over well with the Chicago fans. I mean, look at how Chicago fans treated this guy:

1_Dennis-Rodman-Dressed-as-a-Bride.jpg

But a pink phone case!!!!
Had to match his pink nails.

He will have to come out of the gate on fire otherwise Bears fans like these aren't going to give him a chance. He's not giving himself any margin for error.

download-4.png

All fun and games until he actually plays, but here's a projection of his rookie stats. Would you consider him a success with these numbers?

343-544, 63.1%, 3,754 yards, 24 touchdowns, 14 interceptions, 6.9 Y/A, 87.4 passer rating, 51 sacks, 8.6% sacked per dropback

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...ookie-stats-with-chicago-bears-2024-nfl-draft
This would be:
2nd most completions in one season in franchise history.
3rd most single season yards in franchise history.
Tied for 5th most TDs in a single season in franchise history

This would be:
2nd most completions in one season in franchise history.
3rd most single season yards in franchise history.
Tied for 5th most TDs in a single season in franchise history
All very true, but is quoting the franchise rank the best way to brag about it being the Bears history of futility at QB?

The funny thing is, these numbers are almost identical to what Fields' number would have been last year had he played all 17 games and people talked about how awful he was. Hardly seems like generational talent numbers.

The correct answer is, who cares what his numbers are as long as the Bears win. The Bears win and it buys him more time to improve, they continue to lose and he'll get run out of town.

All very true, but is quoting the franchise rank the best way to brag about it being the Bears history of futility at QB?

The funny thing is, these numbers are almost identical to what Fields' number would have been last year had he played all 17 games and people talked about how awful he was. Hardly seems like generational talent numbers.

The correct answer is, who cares what his numbers are as long as the Bears win. The Bears win and it buys him more time to improve, they continue to lose and he'll get run out of town.
Year 1 vs Year 3

Anyways, I'd like the Bears to be able to win once because of their QB and not in spite of him.

I hope that number is low because they are leading.
That and I hate that stat because a team could score to take the lead on the first play of the 4th quarter and then pull away to win easily, but the QB gets credit for a 4th quarter comeback win.

I don't have a problem with an athlete crying after a loss. Joe Pepitone said Mickey Mantle used to cry after some losses. Mantle is a baseball icon. It was also said he cried after the Yankees lost game 7 of the 1960 World Series to the Pirates. Don't think it changed anyone's opinion of him.

On a more personal level, I remember playing in a college baseball regional in 1979. We were two wins away from going to the WS. But we lost and were eliminated. The disappointment was huge because that team was loaded with talent. I will never forget, one of the guys came on the bus as we were leaving and he was bawling his eyes out. Maybe for a couple reasons. First the disappointment and second because he knew he wasn't coming back and a few other real good players weren't either.

Well...that guy went on to a 20 year major league career, won a few gold gloves, finished in the top 10 in MVP voting, won a World Series, hit over 350 career homeruns and is a very recognizable name...that I won't share. So, to me, crying after a loss isn't a big deal. And it is WAY better than some of these guys who don't give a shit when they lose.

Reactions: corey90
I don't have a problem with an athlete crying after a loss. Joe Pepitone said Mickey Mantle used to cry after some losses. Mantle is a baseball icon. It was also said he cried after the Yankees lost game 7 of the 1960 World Series to the Pirates. Don't think it changed anyone's opinion of him.

On a more personal level, I remember playing in a college baseball regional in 1979. We were two wins away from going to the WS. But we lost and were eliminated. The disappointment was huge because that team was loaded with talent. I will never forget, one of the guys came on the bus as we were leaving and he was bawling his eyes out. Maybe for a couple reasons. First the disappointment and second because he knew he wasn't coming back and a few other real good players weren't either.

Well...that guy went on to a 20 year major league career, won a few gold gloves, finished in the top 10 in MVP voting, won a World Series, hit over 350 career homeruns and is a very recognizable name...that I won't share. So, to me, crying after a loss isn't a big deal. And it is WAY better than some of these guys who don't give a shit when they lose.
You played with Gary Gaetti?

If Rome Odunze is available at #9 would you take him? Would you trade to move up to get Marvin Harrison Jr.
IMO I would take Rome at #9 if available. No way I would trade up to get Marvin. If Rome isn’t available I would go this route if they are still ok the board.

WR Odunze, Nabers
DE Dallas, latu
Alt OT, FASHANU

Take best available at 9. It’s gonna be a WR/OL/DE.
I will agree any of the above mentioned will work. The Bears are in a good position. Last year we took quantity over quality. This year I want quality/talent/Game changers. Nothing is a sure bet but we need more game changers on this team. So far I like what Poles has done in FA. Now let’s see him hit a HR in the draft! 👍

Poles just needs to be smart and not reach at 9. If top 3 WRs are gone or top 2 OT, trade down and accumulate draft capital. I really like this draft class for WRs so you can get a solid one in the late 1st or 2nd round. Maybe even 3rd

We allocated a 2nd rd pick and premium $$ on an EDGE this offseason (Sweat). We allocated good $$ the offseason before (Walker). I don’t see any shot in hell we draft an EDGE guys, complete hogwash. We’ll do what we did last offseason and throw whatever’s left in cap at a cap casualty for another EDGE.

Draft a WR or LT or move up for one of the WRs. The chance to get a top WR on a rookie contact to pair with Williams rookie contract is too big an opportunity.

I'm not saying Braxton Jones is a perennial pro bowl LT, but I am saying he's above average that played exceptionally well after coming back from injury.

I think back to Charles Leno Jr and he's outlasted every other LT the Bears tried to replace him with. Massively underrated player.

Reactions: 4Afan
We allocated a 2nd rd pick and premium $$ on an EDGE this offseason (Sweat). We allocated good $$ the offseason before (Walker). I don’t see any shot in hell we draft an EDGE guys, complete hogwash. We’ll do what we did last offseason and throw whatever’s left in cap at a cap casualty for another EDGE.

Draft a WR or LT or move up for one of the WRs. The chance to get a top WR on a rookie contact to pair with Williams rookie contract is too big an opportunity.
Walker had a total of 30 tackles and 3.5 sacks last year. His cap hit is $8.5 million, so he's not due a ton of money. EDGE is absolutely on the table with the 9th pick. Any cap casualty has already been cut and would have been signed by now.

How do the Bears trade up to take a WR with only 4 draft picks?

If one of the top WR is there then take him, if not, take the best EDGE or trade back and acquire more picks.

Reactions: SiuCubFan8
Walker had a total of 30 tackles and 3.5 sacks last year. His cap hit is $8.5 million, so he's not due a ton of money. EDGE is absolutely on the table with the 9th pick. Any cap casualty has already been cut and would have been signed by now.

How do the Bears trade up to take a WR with only 4 draft picks?

If one of the top WR is there then take him, if not, take the best EDGE or trade back and acquire more picks.
I’m not saying Walker was good, but Poles has made his bed at the position. We’ve got 2 2nd rd picks next year that would be the ammo to move up. The D was fine 2nd half of last season. Offense needs the investment imo.

I’m not saying Walker was good, but Poles has made his bed at the position. We’ve got 2 2nd rd picks next year that would be the ammo to move up. The D was fine 2nd half of last season. Offense needs the investment imo.
Just because he's signed two DE's over the last 2 years doesn't mean he's made his bed and can't draft another one. If the WRs are gone and Verse or Turner is there it's a pretty good bet Poles takes one of them.

Offense needs the investment? So using the #1 pick on a QB and trading for Allen, signing Swift, and two Centers wasn't enough of an investment?

Just because he's signed two DE's over the last 2 years doesn't mean he's made his bed and can't draft another one. If the WRs are gone and Verse or Turner is there it's a pretty good bet Poles takes one of them.

Offense needs the investment? So using the #1 pick on a QB and trading for Allen, signing Swift, and two Centers wasn't enough of an investment?
If the WRs are gone getting the best D player in draft works out just fine.

Reactions: 4Afan

I agree if you can’t get 1 of the top 3 receivers then get an edge rusher. If you can get a top tackle then that’s also on the table. Key with the #9 pick is we have to get the best of any of the needs. If we cant then trade down. I think the Bears are in a good position at #9. We can get one of those top talented players. To many other teams have QB needs. There are 3 top receivers, 2 top OT’s & at least 2 edge rushers.. I see at least 3 quarterbacks maybe 4 going in the top 10. We will get one of these top players. Question is which position is available. We could use a dominant player in any of the 3 positions. Trading down would be my last resort. Again for me it’s Quality over Quantity.

Adding 2 midgrade Interior OL is not enough. I loved the Allen signing, hes 32 and injury prone. I loved everette signing, hes a TE2. How many games per season has Swift averaged? I like the signing though, don’t get me wrong.

Take all these O additions and bears have FAR more cap spent on D than O. The O needs young offensive stars on rookie contracts, thats the name of the game if you ask me.

Last edited:
Adding 2 midgrade Interior OL is not enough. I loved the Allen signing, hes 32 and injury prone. I loved everette signing, hes a TE2. How many games per season has Swift averaged? I like the signing though, don’t get me wrong.

Take all these O additions and bears have FAR more cap spent on D than O. The O needs young offensive stars on rookie contracts, thats the name of the game if you ask me.

F the other picks. Let’s set ourselves up to win championships. An EDGE rusher doesn’t do that. A top flight WR does in my opinion. It’s an offensive game.
Allen has averaged 13 games/year and just came off the best year of his career and Swift has averaged 14 games/year so it's not like either are missing large chunks of the year every season.

I think both are good players, but they have missed games. 11 games missed for Allen the past 2 yrs (post 30 years old). Swift was healthy last yr which was great, but he missed 4 games each of the prior 3. I’m not knocking on these guys, I just feel like we can add a difference maker on offense to help the rookie QB. Offense was this teams issue last year, not defense.

Either way, I’m happy with the Bears direction. It’s been a lot more fun and interesting discussion around the picks this year.

Either way, I’m happy with the Bears direction. It’s been a lot more fun and interesting discussion around the picks this year.
I will agree with this. Not much else going on with Chicago sports teams with the possible exception of the Cubs. I must say. I picked a good year to end my Sox fandom. I went back to the original team I liked as a kid until 1972. And I am not going back to the Sox. Even if Reinsdorf passes or sells the team I would have to think long and hard about returning. Oh, and by the way my team is out of the box at 10-3. And at least they try to win every year.

Reactions: stl705
I will agree with this. Not much else going on with Chicago sports teams with the possible exception of the Cubs. I must say. I picked a good year to end my Sox fandom. I went back to the original team I liked as a kid until 1972. And I am not going back to the Sox. Even if Reinsdorf passes or sells the team I would have to think long and hard about returning. Oh, and by the way my team is out of the box at 10-3. And at least they try to win every year.
Yankees huh…

I think both are good players, but they have missed games. 11 games missed for Allen the past 2 yrs (post 30 years old). Swift was healthy last yr which was great, but he missed 4 games each of the prior 3. I’m not knocking on these guys, I just feel like we can add a difference maker on offense to help the rookie QB. Offense was this teams issue last year, not defense.

I want one of those 3 WRs but the Bears do have difference makers on O already. So, if one of the 3 WRs are not there move on and snag best player available.

Reactions: corey90
Poles just needs to be smart and not reach at 9. If top 3 WRs are gone or top 2 OT, trade down and accumulate draft capital. I really like this draft class for WRs so you can get a solid one in the late 1st or 2nd round. Maybe even 3rd
^ This.

Yankees huh…
Third generation Yankee fans. Both of my brothers were Yankee fans back to the 60s till their passing. Dad is a Yankee fan and Mantle was his favorite although he does remember bits of the DiMaggio 56 game hitting streak. And my Grandfather (dad's dad) liked Ruth and Gehrig. So, we have had Yankee fans in the family since the first decade of the 1900s. Kinda makes sense for me to go back where I belong. :) I am coming in out of the wilderness.

I dont know how anyone can watch baseball.

Too slow, too boring, no more contact between players at all. It puts me too sleep.

I dont know how anyone can watch baseball.

Too slow, too boring, no more contact between players at all. It puts me too sleep.
Well if you're a Sox fan I understand your post. If you're a Yankee fan or a fan of a team that is actually trying to win it is a different universe. Didn't you get the memo? The games are shorter now. I have enjoyed watching baseball more this year than in several years past.

The Cubs are a far better team to watch than the Sox as well. I always thought the Cubs were more exciting as a team in general than the Sox, even when I was a Sox fan. And the Sox have some of the dumbest players on the planet. Three different managers in the last few years and they got no smarter.

I did happen to catch an inning in one of the Sox, Cleveland games. Sox runner on second, one out. Hitter hits a one hopper right back to the pitcher and of course the runner on second takes off for third base. He is toast until the pitcher makes a bad throw and he gets in safely. Guy makes a bone-headed play and comes out smelling like a rose. So, because he was safe he won't learn anything and I guarantee it will happen again. I can watch baseball. I just can't watch Sox baseball. I saw enough in that few minutes I watched. The channel got turned immediately after that play.

Well if you're a Sox fan I understand your post. If you're a Yankee fan or a fan of a team that is actually trying to win it is a different universe. Didn't you get the memo? The games are shorter now. I have enjoyed watching baseball more this year than in several years past.

The Cubs are a far better team to watch than the Sox as well. I always thought the Cubs were more exciting as a team in general than the Sox, even when I was a Sox fan. And the Sox have some of the dumbest players on the planet. Three different managers in the last few years and they got no smarter.

I did happen to catch an inning in one of the Sox, Cleveland games. Sox runner on second, one out. Hitter hits a one hopper right back to the pitcher and of course the runner on second takes off for third base. He is toast until the pitcher makes a bad throw and he gets in safely. Guy makes a bone-headed play and comes out smelling like a rose. So, because he was safe he won't learn anything and I guarantee it will happen again. I can watch baseball. I just can't watch Sox baseball. I saw enough in that few minutes I watched. The channel got turned immediately after that play.
LTHS
Cub fans won’t mind you rooting for the goods guys on the Northside. You’re right the Cubs are much more fun to watch especially at Wrigley.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT