ADVERTISEMENT

Bears Late Round Pick

redmen85

Dec 17, 2014
I watched the NCAA Wrestling Championships this weekend. Wisconsin's Conner Medbery would be worth a late draft pick. The kid is enormous, has great endurance and the toughness to play in the offensive line. Why not?

I watched the NCAA Wrestling Championships this weekend. Wisconsin's Conner Medbery would be worth a late draft pick. The kid is enormous, has great endurance and the toughness to play in the offensive line. Why not?
Please stop with crazy ideas. Why would they waste a draft pick on a kid that hasn't played football in 4 years. Also what makes you think he wants to play football and why not just sign him in free agency.

I remember back when he was coaching the Bears, Mike Ditka once said, (paraphrasing) "So many scouts tell me how much a guy can lift or how fast he is. My first thought is, that's great...but can he play football?"

It's not a bad idea but you are better off doing it as an unsigned free agent. The Patriots did this exact same thing with Stephen Neal and he turned into an all pro offensive lineman. Antonio Gates didn't play college football either so it's not unheard of for a great athlete to make the jump to the NFL.

Reactions: ignazio
A free Agent signing isn't a big commitment and if it doesn't look like it's going to pan out - they get cut. if there is some big potential down the road in the coaches/magmt eyes - there is the practice squad.

Ive seen some teams take a few flyers on some rugby players that seem to be panning out (or on the verge of panning out).

If they draft a guy who didn't play college football, I'll get rid of my tickets

It's not a bad idea but you are better off doing it as an unsigned free agent. The Patriots did this exact same thing with Stephen Neal and he turned into an all pro offensive lineman. Antonio Gates didn't play college football either so it's not unheard of for a great athlete to make the jump to the NFL.
Tight end is not offensive tackle.

I'm hoping that if the Patriots don't grab him that the Bears reach out to our local Boy Jordan Westerkamp. The perfect style of receiver that the Patriots have thrived on for the past few years. Guys like Jordan make QB's look good!

Reactions: Gene K.
Pretty much no way a guy can make it in the NFL by wrestling world champs, or kicking a ball around a huge oval pitch, or, say, even driving a beer truck next to the practice facility.

You do something like that and you're liable to end up 3-13.

Last year the Seahawks started three offensive lineman that didn't play online college. One played college basketball, one was a back tight end and the other was a back up defensive end who were college bench warmers. They look for great athletes sign them as free agents and then develop them into offensive lineman.

Considering this works for the Seahawks, Patriots and the Steelers also do it I'm guessing it would be a complete waste of time for the Bears to try it.

Last year the Seahawks started three offensive lineman that didn't play online college. One played college basketball, one was a back tight end and the other was a back up defensive end who were college bench warmers. They look for great athletes sign them as free agents and then develop them into offensive lineman.

Considering this works for the Seahawks, Patriots and the Steelers also do it I'm guessing it would be a complete waste of time for the Bears to try it.
So what you are saying is two of them were football players?

So what you are saying is two of them were football players?

Whst I'm saying is elite athletes can play offensive line with no experience if they are in the right situation. Stephen Neal with the Patriots and Carlton Hasrig with Steelers never played football but were all American wrestlers before going to NFL and becoming All Pro's and George Fant with Seahawks did it last year. The whole point is the idea the an All American wrestler can transition to football isn't some far off idea.

One of those starters also stepped on Russell Wilson's foot causing him to fall. This ended in a safety and lost the Seahawks a playoff game. There are definitely two sides to the coin.

One of those starters also stepped on Russell Wilson's foot causing him to fall. This ended in a safety and lost the Seahawks a playoff game. There are definitely two sides to the coin.

Sounds like what the Bears get out of thier first round OL draft picks.

I don't dispute what CB is saying,..but my Seahawks OL was atrocious last year. Wilson running for his life nearly every play. I wouldn't hold them up as the poster boys of devising a good Oline from free agents or late round picks. One of the reasons for that is that they have had to pay Russell and their D and they are/were trying to do the OL without spending big bucks. This years draft seems to be light on OL Per the pundits,...but I'm hoping they put some focus on the OL and try and find some gems that can play right away!!

Ummmm Kyle Long.....

Kyle Long has been fine but look the other guys they have taken all have been complete busts. Mark Columbo, Chris Williams and Gabe Carmi combined to start 61 games with the Bears. In fairness to Columbo he had solid career after leaving Chicago but was a wasted pick while here.

Long is the exception, not the rule.

Thank heavens none of us are GMs...

Cody Whitehair? And Columbo was turning into a decent player before getting hurt. Carimi looked like a great pick at the time but couldn't stay healthy.

Long has been a nice addition if he can stay healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT