ADVERTISEMENT

CPL Pick 'EM Round 1 - IHSA Playoffs

thecpsblog

Sep 26, 2017
Finally, I am able to return to CPL Pick Em. My apologies for being out. Before the sweet action that is the city playoffs kick off next week, we are blessed to get some CPL matchups for the state playoffs. Let's focus in on 3 and 4A, this week. Time to get down in serious prognosticator mode and lock in on #GRNDSZN. Let's go!

HANSBERRY @ Byron Saturday 1 PM
There's nothing more exciting than a Bengel Tiger matchup! Decisive, aggressive, ready to punch each other in the throat is for sure a good sign for our first pick. Problem with Hansberry being the Bengels, is that they are not embracing the Berry roots that have made them CPL famous. Embrace the blue, go full Blue Berries. Until then, that's just way too forgetful and soft. No shocker here. Tigers roll

Stillman Valley @ NOBLE JOHNSON 7PM @ Gately
First two matchups include Noble schools, will never make me not think of my good friend Noble Tony, aka North Shore Tony, aka, Pedals Tony. Guy is an absolute special teams junky. Any game we take in together he's always talking about alleys, that guy needs to be there, or there, now get here. What a lunatic, can't ever make up his mind unless its about pre-game beef sticks and cheese. With him in mind and the regular doubt in everyone's minds about CPL and their state playoff victories you better believe we're going with big wood. Johnson lays it down.

Prairie Central @ NORTH LAWNDALE Saturday 1 PM @ Lane
An opportunity to talk about the Phoenix and how they are always rising to challenges? Check. An opportunity to bash the trash concrete dump that is Lane stadium at it's rarely working bathrooms? Check Saturday afternoon, with the opportunity for CPS to randomly throw a bnch of other CPL game at said stadium to show off their 'crown jewel'? Check. Hope Prairie Central fans hit up the Wendy's McDonald's or Popeye's nearby, that will be their only shot at relief after that long drive. PHOENIX!

Sullivan vs Clinton @ Sullivan Saturday 1:30PM
Wait this isn't the CPL Sullivan? Damn it... Pass

Dyett vs Ag Science Saturday 11 am Gately
Get the tailgates ready early! Grills fired up for breakfast in the backfield of the endzone?!? Yes, please. Hot CPL on CPL action in round 1? Gurantees a CPL winner, and ask much as I love the Farmers, harvest season has past. Fly Eagles Fly! Go Dyett

Wheaton Academy vs. Phoenix Friday 8 pm
The opportunity to talk about another CPL Phoenix game? Check. Another opportunity to rise from the ashes? Check. Academy burns em early. Leaving it little too late for the ashes to allow a comeback. Wheeeeeaton!

Bonus 6A Pick

Hubbard @ Richards Friday 6:30pm

Hubbard is licking their chops to play CPL Richards in round 1. Oh wait, that's not CPL either? Got me again. This pick? It doesn't MATHER!

It's the playoffs baby! Ahh, my favorite time of year. Crisp temps, pumpkin spice, and the sound of complaining non-CPL fans whining about how unfair it is that any CPL teams make it in the IHSA playoffs at all! On to the picks!

HANSBERRY @ Byron Saturday 1 PM
Byron "Whizzer" White was the 1937 Heisman runner up for the Colorado Buffaloes. Played in the NFL before becoming a lawyer and getting appointed to the US Supreme Court. William Howard Taft was on the Supreme Court. Taft is in the CPL. Hansberry is in the CPL. Obviously, this means I'm picking...
The Berries!

Stillman Valley @ NOBLE JOHNSON 7PM @ Gately
Stillman Valley sounds like one of those cheap grocery store wines that they dress up in a fancy label. Not that I'm against cheap wine...did I ever tell my Ernest and Julio Gallo/circus peanut story? Another time...
2 Buck Chuck!

Prairie Central @ NORTH LAWNDALE Saturday 1 PM @ Lane
I wonder if Prairie Central goes by PC? I knew this kid whose initials were PK, but some clown screwed up the spelling and we always called him PC. Easily one of the worst football players I ever knew, but his mom was hot, so....
Stacey's Mom!

Sullivan vs Clinton @ Sullivan Saturday 1:30PM
I watched the CPL Sullivan play Ridgewood in the first round 10ish years ago. Ridgewood squeaks out a victory, and the head coach acted like he had just won the super bowl. He printed IHSA first round playoff victory shirts before the second round game. no lie.

Dyett vs Ag Science Saturday 11 am Gately
Never trust a farmer that's on a dyett. Or is that a chef? Either way,
Farmers!

Wheaton Academy vs. Phoenix Friday 8 pm
Pinkies out! wHHHEEEAATTTon Academy!

Bonus 6A Pick

Hubbard @ Richards Friday 6:30pm

Got me again @thecpsblog I thought for sure this was straight CPL on CPL crime. Is this the Oak Lawn Richards? If so, there is a bar called Shortstops just down the street at 11th and Austin next to Papa Joes. Beer is cold and the Mexican sandwich is awesome...

See you next week for the Real (CPL) Playoffs!!

BONUS PICK #2

Englewood Stem @ Antioch Friday @7:00

Was in line at Wolfy's on Peterson a few years back and struck up a conversation with a guy in line that turns out to be a Taft offensive assistant coach. Dude says he was coaching at Antioch before he came to the city. The reason this sticks out to me so much was how he just kept talking about excited he was that Taft was open to him wanting to run 4 Verts every play on offense, and how finally had an OC that wasn't going to be restrained by running the ball like the do on every play up north in Antioch.
Wonder how that dude is doing?
Stem in the upset of the century!

Reactions: thecpsblog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT